Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 16, 8:16 AM
Dec 2021
I watched the entire movie and there is not a single mention of Alice and Therese?
Is it some kind of reference to older media, like Romeo and Juliet could be used to signify the love of Masamune and Mutsumi?
Jan 16, 8:37 AM
Dec 2022
now that you mention it, I think you're right. i watched it in dub but those names weren't mentioned or even referenced.
Jan 16, 8:46 AM
Dec 2022
I wanna ask too. I watched it dub and didn't come across any individuals with those names.
Jan 16, 8:51 AM
Mar 2021
Lephiz69 said:
I watched the entire movie and there is not a single mention of Alice and Therese?
Is it some kind of reference to older media, like Romeo and Juliet could be used to signify the love of Masamune and Mutsumi?

I think so too. The full name in English Is "Alice and Theresa's Illusion Factory" so maybe Alice and Theresa just significe Masamune and Mutsumi.
"Maboroshi" as a Title makes more sense, as it's mean "Illusion" as Love being a "Illusion" The town being a Illusion 🤔🤔
Aryu1410Jan 16, 7:34 PM
Jan 16, 9:08 AM

Apr 2014
It came from the original plan of the light novel that Okada Mari planned to write an unrelated light novel to the anime.
It's a story about a wolf girl, a human girl who was said to have been raised by wolves, who looks like a wild animal whose identity is unknown, and a girl who looks like a wolf boy who lives in the city and tells lies. And the name of the duo were Alice and Therese.

https://ddnavi.com/interview/1160390/a/
何それ?意味分かんない
Jan 16, 9:12 AM
Dec 2021
Reply to AkeZZZ
It came from the original plan of the light novel that Okada Mari planned to write an unrelated light novel to the anime.
It's a story about a wolf girl, a human girl who was said to have been raised by wolves, who looks like a wild animal whose identity is unknown, and a girl who looks like a wolf boy who lives in the city and tells lies. And the name of the duo were Alice and Therese.

https://ddnavi.com/interview/1160390/a/
@AkeZZZ so basically Jungle Book but Japanese lol? except Mowgli is changed into a girl
Jan 16, 1:45 PM

Sep 2018
Haven't watched it at all, but if you write it in Japanese, Alice and Therese (which becomes アリスとテレス Arisu to Teresu) is the same as Aristoteles (アリストテレス Arisutoteresu), the original Greek name of (and Japanese name for) philosopher Aristotle.
Just a casual anime watcher
Jan 16, 2:39 PM

Jul 2020
lanaerys said:
Haven't watched it at all, but if you write it in Japanese, Alice and Therese (which becomes アリスとテレス Arisu to Teresu) is the same as Aristoteles (アリストテレス Arisutoteresu), the original Greek name of (and Japanese name for) philosopher Aristotle.

They do quote the line 'hope is a waking dream' in the movie which is historically (though incorrectly) attributed to Aristotle so maybe this meaning for the title does have some merit.

Actually having read the article linked by AkeZZZ turns out Okada herself confirmed it is named after Aristotle, with the original novel having a girl who mistook Aristotle for two people: Alice and Teresu. My only confusion now is why this was kept as the title even after all of the other story elements were changed.
InfinityDude88Jan 16, 2:44 PM
Jan 21, 2:29 PM
Apr 2023
this is just my theory but Alice is Itsumi as she was spirited away into another world

We can see in the end the drawing of Itsumi and Mutsumi together in the (Illusion) factory, so Therese is probably Mutsumi.

There are probably references used but I can't find them

More topics from this board

Poll: » Alice to Therese no Maboroshi Koujou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

deguy - Sep 25, 2023

51 by Bahagia15 »»
May 23, 10:18 AM

» How did it work?

HowlHobbit - Jan 22

7 by Rob7 »»
Apr 21, 8:40 PM

» Really disappointed in the movie - Am I the only one?

saikyozero - Jan 21

28 by waalex11 »»
Mar 26, 10:52 PM

» Was Sagami Mamoru in love with Kikuiri Akimune?

CowconutMilk - Feb 13

0 by CowconutMilk »»
Feb 13, 6:53 AM

» Netflix best anime movie

Chickenweeb2021 - Jan 15

12 by Mario_Isla »»
Jan 31, 9:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.