Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 3, 2023 5:48 AM

Mar 2023
Before checking out this series of Ghost in the Shell, I had no plans to watch it. However, after seeing this series and its sequels are not ecchi, I want to watch it because waifus with guns are cool. But the prequel movie is ecchi, I won't be watching that one. So, I have a question: Can I start with this?
Oct 3, 2023 6:04 AM
Sep 2021
Yes, movie is a different one, it doesn't have anything to do with Stand Alone Complex... Feel free to start from here...
Oct 3, 2023 6:07 AM

Apr 2016
Prequel movie is not ecchi.
But yes, you can start here.
Oct 3, 2023 6:08 AM

Jan 2017
anime-alchemy said:
But the prequel movie is ecchi, I won't be watching that one.

I don't remember any ecchi scene in any of the Ghost In The Shell entry.

anime-alchemy said:
So, I have a question: Can I start with this?

Yes , The Original Movies , the Stand Alone Complex Series & the Arise Movies are different timelines.
They have nothing to do with each other , aside from sharing the same characters with a similar past.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 3, 2023 6:15 AM

Jun 2016
Yes most entries are independent from each other. I'm not sure about that "prequel movie" you are talking about as there is no prequel movie to Stand Alone Complex and no Ghost in the Shell entry has ecchi in it apart from the manga. Please enlighten me.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 3, 2023 8:00 AM
Jul 2020
Theo1899 said:
Yes most entries are independent from each other. I'm not sure about that "prequel movie" you are talking about as there is no prequel movie to Stand Alone Complex and no Ghost in the Shell entry has ecchi in it apart from the manga. Please enlighten me.

I assume they’re talking about the one scene in the movie where the Major is naked
Oct 3, 2023 8:06 AM
Nov 2018
anime-alchemy said:
Before checking out this series of Ghost in the Shell, I had no plans to watch it. However, after seeing this series and its sequels are not ecchi, I want to watch it because waifus with guns are cool. But the prequel movie is ecchi, I won't be watching that one. So, I have a question: Can I start with this?

The original "Ghost in the Shell" movie is actually an adaptation of the overall story and universe depicted in the Ghost in the shell manga by Masamune Shirow. "Stand alone complex" is another adaptation of the same manga, but is not linked by any means to the movie. Both being based one the same media the characters and some éléments of the plot are the same but their characterisation and the ambiance are very different. Personnaly I don't like the original Ghost in the shell movie, but Stand alone complex is one of my very favorite anime. It puts more emphasis on the "thriller" and "film noir" like ambiance and is generally considered a more faithful adaptation of the manga. The characters are absolutely great there and have a lot of depht despite the mood being very different from the original movie existencial and philosophical athmosphere. The Stand alone Complex series also has banger soundtrack written by Yoko Kanno, and even if I like Kenji Kawai a lot the hip hop/jazz/electronic blend of the OST was one of the things that got me to watch Stand alone complex in the first place.

To answer your question, YES you can watch SAC without knowing anything about the ghost in the shell universe. SAC also has mild fanservice but never to the extend of the movie that shows a lot of nudity even if I won't consider it ecchi I definitely can understand why it can rubbs one the wrong way.
SAC is the baddas adaptation. It's my favorite by very far. And it also was the first thing Ghost in the shell I watched so I can confirm you it won't be a problem.

Just give it a try! It's really worth it.
Oct 3, 2023 8:23 AM

Jun 2016
Reply to AustinJamB
Theo1899 said:

I assume they’re talking about the one scene in the movie where the Major is naked
@AustinJamB If that's the case then OP shouldn't worry about it. When it comes to showing people naked, these scenes are as devoid of sexuality as it gets.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 3, 2023 8:39 AM
Jan 2020
The Stand Alone Complex series is independent from the movie and the manga. The SAC series is the one many people were first introduced to the series.
Oct 3, 2023 8:11 PM

Nov 2022
I think so. The prequel is just movie, so only 1 hour long.
Oct 4, 2023 12:14 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Theo1899 said:
@AustinJamB If that's the case then OP shouldn't worry about it. When it comes to showing people naked, these scenes are as devoid of sexuality as it gets.

Not to mention that there are parts in the series where the Major is naked or wearing underwear, then there are her outfits.
Oct 5, 2023 7:04 AM
May 2022
It’s set in a different timeline to the movie. That being said, if you’re just looking for cool waifu action or whatever you’ll be very disappointed; yes the Major is very cool and often somewhat sexualised, but the series is more of an extremely complex political (and often very philosophical) drama—although perhaps somewhat less so than the movie. Might lose you if you’re not prepared for more mature viewing.

Also, the movie is not ecchi in the slightest; it’s probably the greatest and most influential science fiction movies of the last 30 years, if not ever.

More topics from this board

» New TV anime by science saru

MegamiRem - May 25

5 by Paindora »»
May 27, 1:35 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

57 by eldaristclosekin »»
May 23, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

87 by ahhellno »»
May 12, 7:31 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 6, 2008

74 by irisld »»
May 5, 11:59 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.