Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 10, 2023 2:11 AM
Mar 2021
Just few episodes ago, Takayuki just said he doesn't care for Mitsuki and he doesn't show any emotion when his best friend comes and tells that he cheated on him with Takayuki's girlfriend. In the final episode of the show, MC straight up tells to ex-girlfriend that he loves Mitsuki the most in the world. How the fuck did we get here? How did he change his mind with the span of short time? It doesn't make sense. He should have ended up with Haruka and Mitsuki should've gotten a downer ending. 

Apr 10, 2023 2:23 AM
Aug 2020
I completely agree with you. I have thought about it for a long time and it really did not make any sense.
Apr 10, 2023 2:26 AM
Mar 2021
Vollyjar said:
I completely agree with you. I have thought about it for a long time and it really did not make any sense.
Same, I think MC is poorly written and his decisions feels more like asspulls and the series doesn't give any justification for why he did certain things
Apr 10, 2023 2:31 AM
Jul 2022
If you like this series, read Strait is the Gate by Andre Gide. A lot of stuffs similar, honestly I’d say Kimi ga Nozomu Eien had to have taken some inspiration from it. Strait is the Gate is my favorite book and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is my second favorite anime.
Apr 10, 2023 2:36 AM
Mar 2021
I would say this series is pretty good. My issue with the show lies with the MC, his decisions just don't make sense. may I know why did eventually chose to be with Mitsuki and what happened to them after that?
Apr 10, 2023 10:06 AM
Apr 2022
Well, I agree with your sentiments as to why Takayuki “shouldn’t have picked” Mitsuki in the end, but I think the cheating part is just a difference in culture. I hear in Japan some people really hate cheating or some people really don’t care/will ignore it. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but everyone deals with it differently, so I can’t say it makes zero sense that he would still choose Mitsuki after the cheating. My main concern was Mitsuki is an EXTREMELY manipulative person and was even rewarded for her toxic feelings in the end. Meanwhile, Haruka was the victim throughout the entire series: she loses her love in the end, was betrayed by her best friend, and lost so many years of her youth due to a tragic accident. I just think the whole relationship between Mitsuki and Takayuki is just rotten. This series would’ve been a really good romance but ended up becoming a gross depiction of jealousy triumphing in the end.
Apr 10, 2023 11:45 AM
Feb 2022
i dont know but if he is happy then it is ok by me
Apr 11, 2023 2:34 PM
Aug 2020
If he loved and he did hospitalized girl he should stick till the end, yea he had rough time like being completly living like dead flower, but its facts second girl that loved him (blue hair girl) was there for him all time even in hardest time. I cant blame him for choosing her but it still hurts. Tho if someone doesnt like ending there is ova with different route, justice route xd.
Aug 17, 2023 3:27 AM
Jun 2008
I had the same thoughts as you, when I first watched this anime. I was screaming at my laptop screen and took me a long time to get over this feeling but I saw they had an OVA with an alternative ending so it sort of satisfied me just a little. Wish I knew the reason why the creators chose Mitsuki.

This anime reminds of another manga series that I loved so much in beginning but had the same shocking twist at end then hated it afterwards. Till this day I’m still trying to get over that manga series that I use to love but now hate.
Sep 11, 2023 11:07 AM

Jun 2022
I agree with others that his decision to finally choose Mitsuki seemed to not make sense given the development of the show. Just an episode ago, Takayuki had told Shinji that he's the one who should look after Hayase since it's obvious he is the one who truly loves her (but of course, Mitsuki doesn't love Shinji...). Also, an episode before that we saw Takayuki calling out Haruka's name when he was barely conscious and sick with a fever. Seems like a pretty obvious signal she's the one he truly loves, right?

I can understand why he still has feelings for Mitsuki however: she looked after him when he was at his weakest point and gave up everything for him, and he feels he has to return the favor and look after her after he brought her so much pain since Haruka had woken up in the hospital. But this sort of glides over the fact that in some ways Mitsuki's decision to look after Takayuki was selfish and she was using it as a way to absolve her own feelings of guilt regarding the accident; and as she also said, she was (slightly) happy when Haruka got hurt anyway because it meant she could finally be with Takayuki. In a sense she used his depression to get closer to him and start a relationship...obviously she still ends up helping him and gets his life back together, but it's not as if she wasn't partially motivated by self-interest.

Haruka is just so blameless I would have liked to see her get what she really wanted, but in the end she comes across as both the most mature person in the story and also the most self-sacrifical. She tells Takayuki to not dwell on the past and the live in the present, without her. It's obviously not what she wants but she decides to burden herself with that sadness hoping that Takayuki and Mitsuki can be happy together. She said her farewell and became the kindest person in the entire series. We love you Haruka...
Oct 7, 2023 1:33 AM
Jun 2021
Hard disagree with everyone here. When I watched this as a teen I felt sorry for Haruka. As an adult, I appreciate how the relationship with Haruka was an innocent childhood romance and the relationship with Mitsuki was a serious adult relationship with a credible foundation. I still feel a bit sorry for Haruka but their relationship wasn't a proper adult relationship built on shared experience, ups and downs, and supporting someone through their low moments. Haruka is ostensibly still a child in my eyes. She hasn't yet experienced a proper adult relationship with Takayuki. The chances of their relationship going the distance is the same as for any two 16 year olds... or even worse, 16 and 20 year old.
Oct 22, 2023 9:53 PM

Jun 2022
Reply to xatm092
Hard disagree with everyone here. When I watched this as a teen I felt sorry for Haruka. As an adult, I appreciate how the relationship with Haruka was an innocent childhood romance and the relationship with Mitsuki was a serious adult relationship with a credible foundation. I still feel a bit sorry for Haruka but their relationship wasn't a proper adult relationship built on shared experience, ups and downs, and supporting someone through their low moments. Haruka is ostensibly still a child in my eyes. She hasn't yet experienced a proper adult relationship with Takayuki. The chances of their relationship going the distance is the same as for any two 16 year olds... or even worse, 16 and 20 year old.
xatm092 said:
Haruka is ostensibly still a child in my eyes.

How? Haruka is by far the most mature (major) character in the entire show. She readily sacrifices her own happiness so her friends can be together, even after coming out of a years long coma and finding out her (ex-)boyfriend got together with her best friend. She doesn't blame Takayuki or Mitsuki for this, and just wants them to be happy. She's the only character of the three who, on her own, acts in such a selfless manner, it really makes no sense to me how you can say she's in anyway childish.
Oct 23, 2023 1:35 AM
Jun 2021
Leverkuhn said:
xatm092 said:

How? Haruka is by far the most mature (major) character in the entire show. She readily sacrifices her own happiness so her friends can be together, even after coming out of a years long coma and finding out her (ex-)boyfriend got together with her best friend. She doesn't blame Takayuki or Mitsuki for this, and just wants them to be happy. She's the only character of the three who, on her own, acts in such a selfless manner, it really makes no sense to me how you can say she's in anyway childish.

Even if she acts mature for her (effective) age, shes a child when it comes to relationships. she hasn't yet had had a proper adult relationship, with trouble, stress sad parts, arguments, growing together through shared challenging experiences, and so on. So the rest of what I said still stands. As a boy I felt some injustice for Haruka. As a married man, I can now very clearly see the difference between a real adult relationship and a child's relationship. There was only one proper relationship in that show. And I believe the creators, many of whom would have been married themselves, knew this too, and this is why they made this decision.
Oct 23, 2023 1:44 PM

Jun 2022
Reply to xatm092
Leverkuhn said:
xatm092 said:

Even if she acts mature for her (effective) age, shes a child when it comes to relationships. she hasn't yet had had a proper adult relationship, with trouble, stress sad parts, arguments, growing together through shared challenging experiences, and so on. So the rest of what I said still stands. As a boy I felt some injustice for Haruka. As a married man, I can now very clearly see the difference between a real adult relationship and a child's relationship. There was only one proper relationship in that show. And I believe the creators, many of whom would have been married themselves, knew this too, and this is why they made this decision.
xatm092 said:
Even if she acts mature for her (effective) age, shes a child when it comes to relationships. she hasn't yet had had a proper adult relationship, with trouble, stress sad parts, arguments, growing together through shared challenging experiences, and so on. So the rest of what I said still stands.

What you say doesn't stand because you're not actually saying anything. Haruka "acts mature for her age" but she isn't actually mature because...beacuse she just isn't, okay?? You haven't substantiated how Mitsuki is actually more mature than Haruka; you're coping that "experience" is equal to "maturity" which I'm sure you're smart enough to know is not necessarily the case. Mitsuki's reaction to her relationship failing is to get drunk and cheat on Takayuki; Haruka's reaction to the same situation is the cheer on her friends at the cost of her own happiness. Which is more "mature"? Obviously the latter.

xatm092 said:
And I believe the creators, many of whom would have been married themselves, knew this too, and this is why they made this decision.

And here you reveal that you really have no idea what you're talking about. Kouki, the main writer and director of the Kiminozo visual novel that this anime is adapted from, was not and has not been married. As it's a visual novel, there are multiple endings, and this anime only decided to adapt one of those (the anime writer also isn't married, so boohoo to you're 'I'm so mature because I'm married, like these writers' theory). In one of the many endings within the VN, Mitsuki ties up and rapes Takayuki because he chooses Haruka over her. But she's obviously presented as the more mature character right?

But I really shouldn't even have to stoop to bringing the visual novel up, because you haven't actually provided a shred of evidence of why Mitsuki is more mature vis-a-vis Haruka. Haruka's relationship with Takayuki didn't have ups and downs, or challenges? Complete bullshit. You just typed a bunch of nonsense that only continued to further elucidate you really have no idea what you're talking about.
Oct 23, 2023 2:43 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to Leverkuhn
xatm092 said:
Even if she acts mature for her (effective) age, shes a child when it comes to relationships. she hasn't yet had had a proper adult relationship, with trouble, stress sad parts, arguments, growing together through shared challenging experiences, and so on. So the rest of what I said still stands.

What you say doesn't stand because you're not actually saying anything. Haruka "acts mature for her age" but she isn't actually mature because...beacuse she just isn't, okay?? You haven't substantiated how Mitsuki is actually more mature than Haruka; you're coping that "experience" is equal to "maturity" which I'm sure you're smart enough to know is not necessarily the case. Mitsuki's reaction to her relationship failing is to get drunk and cheat on Takayuki; Haruka's reaction to the same situation is the cheer on her friends at the cost of her own happiness. Which is more "mature"? Obviously the latter.

xatm092 said:
And I believe the creators, many of whom would have been married themselves, knew this too, and this is why they made this decision.

And here you reveal that you really have no idea what you're talking about. Kouki, the main writer and director of the Kiminozo visual novel that this anime is adapted from, was not and has not been married. As it's a visual novel, there are multiple endings, and this anime only decided to adapt one of those (the anime writer also isn't married, so boohoo to you're 'I'm so mature because I'm married, like these writers' theory). In one of the many endings within the VN, Mitsuki ties up and rapes Takayuki because he chooses Haruka over her. But she's obviously presented as the more mature character right?

But I really shouldn't even have to stoop to bringing the visual novel up, because you haven't actually provided a shred of evidence of why Mitsuki is more mature vis-a-vis Haruka. Haruka's relationship with Takayuki didn't have ups and downs, or challenges? Complete bullshit. You just typed a bunch of nonsense that only continued to further elucidate you really have no idea what you're talking about.
@Leverkuhn Wow you really feel strongly about this!

People acting in inadvisable ways doesn't correllate very strongly with age. You can be a teenager who is rather gracious and polite and kind, and you can be an adult who's the opposite. I think it's interesting that you are conflating the two.

In any case, I'll happily concede that Haruka acts more maturely than Mitsuki if you like. That's not really very relevant to my point, which is more about which person Takayuki had a child's relationship with, and which he had an adult's relationship with.

Cool info about the anime's writer, I didn't know that. I regret specifically using the idea of being married, as opposed to the idea of having been an adult in a serious relationship, which is really what I was getting at.

Also, yeah, it could just be Death of the Author, it's of course fully possible that the writer had him end up with Mitsuki for other reasons than what I supposed. It's rather common for readers and viewers to draw their own conclusions about what the creator was thinking, and sometimes be mistaken. In any case, I'm very satisfied with the choice that was made, for the reason I've repeatedly outlined now. There was only one real adult relationship in that anime.
Oct 23, 2023 2:55 PM

Jun 2022
xatm092 said:
@Leverkuhn Wow you really feel strongly about this!

Yes, of course I do, I wouldn't take the time to post about it otherwise. Note that you were the first person to conflate "maturity" and the "adult vs child" relationship aspect so I was simply following your lead and using your own terms. Now, specifically, using examples from the show, explain why the relationship with Mitsuki is "a real adult relationship" and the relationship with Haruka was a mere "child's relationship." My issue is that I do not think you actually defended this point in any way, and I think you're completely wrong on this point, which is guiding your entire interpretation of the show.

I think it's disingenuous to pretend that your use of "real adult relationship" and "child's relationship" don't contain a certain normative aspect that implicitly shows you're dismissing one in favor of the other. Insofar as you're going to take recourse to the ages of the characters, there's really only a few years difference, so if you're going to simply say the relationship with Mitsuki is more real becuase it happened a couple years later in life, I don't think that's sufficient for all that you're trying to say in your post(s). And obviously it becomes completely moot after Haruka wakes up and Takayuki is free to either engage in a relationship with Haruka or Mitsuki at this later stage of life; in fact his relations with Haruka obviously show these ups and downs, and growing together through shared struggles, that you outlined in your very first post. I'm sure you'll admit that Haruka, in the very brief time together with Takayuki after she wakes up from her coma, helps him mature as a person.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi ga Nozomu Eien Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Di27 - Apr 17, 2008

181 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
May 10, 9:44 PM

Poll: » Mitsuki or Haruka? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 1, 2007

255 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 5:03 PM

Poll: » Kimi ga Nozomu Eien Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Di27 - Apr 17, 2008

52 by metalrain_15 »»
Feb 23, 10:41 PM

Poll: » Kimi ga Nozomu Eien Episode 3 Discussion

Di27 - Apr 16, 2008

47 by metalrain_15 »»
Feb 22, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Kimi ga Nozomu Eien Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Di27 - Apr 17, 2008

55 by Origami_Cyclone »»
Feb 8, 4:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.