Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 7, 2023 4:11 PM

Jun 2012
It's incredible how we've had an ocean of information and reports on the internet for years about the functioning of the anime industry, and yet there are some people in this thread that keep saying false statements, some even saying delusional things that have no bearing to the reality we live in.

First thing, the Blu-Ray/DVD sales for the Chainsaw Man anime are abysmally bad. There's no sugarcoating it, there's no saying "in my opinion it's a good number", there's no "MAPPA is secretly selling 100.000 Blu-Ray copies throughout their website and they haven't reported those sales because reasons". No, just no. From a business perspective, the fact that the adaptation of such a high-profile, popular and successful manga is selling this low is downright embarrassing. The discs sales are a disappointment, plain and simple.

Second, yes, Blu-Ray/DVD sales are nowhere near to being the absolute, most important, number 1 factor in determining the success of an anime, like they were 10 years ago, for example. They are still really important for the Japanese market, of course, but as of right now, in 2023, they have been either matched or surpassed in importance as a source of revenue for anime by the source material sales (either manga, light novel, visual novel, etc), merchandise sales (more of this in a minute), TV ratings in Japan (something that doesn't concern the Chainsaw Man anime because it's a TV series that airs in the late night slot, not on prime time), and probably, maybe, licensing deals for streaming services. The problem for MAPPA is that for them, as the sole producers of the Chainsaw Man anime, the Blu-Ray/DVD sales were indeed the most important source of revenue.

On the subject of the sales for the source material, in this case the Chainsaw Man manga, obviously the numbers are incredibly good, fantastic, and spectacular. Nothing new to report here (and just to avoid any misunderstanding, MAPPA doesn't receive a single yen from the manga sales of Chainsaw Man).

For the merchandise sales, it seems there's a bit of confusion in this thread. Just like the manga, the merchandise sales for Chainsaw Man are wonderful, better than ever. But it appears some people think MAPPA is taking all the revenue from the merchandise sales, as if they were the owners of the Chainsaw Man IP. They're not, in any way, shape or form. The owners of the Chainsaw IP are Tatsuki Fujimoto and Shueisha, and therefore they are the ones that take the majority of the money from the merchandise sales. It's true that MAPPA has a business partnership with a company based on Hong Kong that includes collaborating on the merchandise from their anime in the Asian market, but that single company doesn't represent the entirety of the companies involved in the production of the merchandise for Chainsaw Man, not even close. Out of all the revenue generated by the Chainsaw Man merchandise, MAPPA is maybe taking a tiny, miniscule fraction, if anything at all.

And finally, we have the licensing deals for streaming services. This is where MAPPA probably got the most income from the Chainsaw Man anime. Seeing as how Crunchyroll advertised the series so heavily when it was airing, it leads me to believe that the license deals were really expensive, and in favor of MAPPA.

So, in conclusion:

1. Did MAPPA ended up losing money with the Chainsaw Man anime? Well, with those Blu-Ray/DVD sales, yes, probably, that's the most likely scenario. Maybe they managed to break even thanks to the licensing deals to streaming services, but they absolutely didn't make the profit they were hoping for with this project.

2. What does that mean for a second season of the anime? Honestly, I think Shueisha is going to order the production of the second season of the anime with MAPPA, anyways. Remember, publishers view anime as just advertising for the source material. Maybe the anime is a flop, but the manga of Chainsaw Man is a juggernaut, and anything that helps to increase or even just maintain the manga and merchandise sales is a good decision. Besides, this entire project costs nothing to Shueisha. Unlike normal circumstances, in this case MAPPA was the one who approached Shueisha with the plan to make a Chainsaw Man anime, not the other way around. That means MAPPA was the one who had to pay money in order to have the rights to make an adaptation of the manga. Shueisha got free worldwide publicity for one of their most popular current series. Why wouldn't they want that again?

And before anyone comes saying "YoU'rE jUsT a HaTeR", I really liked and enjoyed the Chainsaw Man anime. But that doesn't make me blind to the reality of the industry and the market.
Andan210Apr 7, 2023 5:06 PM
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Apr 7, 2023 11:51 PM

Jun 2019
That is just sad to look at.
Apr 8, 2023 4:45 AM

Nov 2020
Andan210 said:
It's incredible how we've had an ocean of information and reports on the internet for years about the functioning of the anime industry, and yet there are some people in this thread that keep saying false statements, some even saying delusional things that have no bearing to the reality we live in.

First thing, the Blu-Ray/DVD sales for the Chainsaw Man anime are abysmally bad. There's no sugarcoating it, there's no saying "in my opinion it's a good number", there's no "MAPPA is secretly selling 100.000 Blu-Ray copies throughout their website and they haven't reported those sales because reasons". No, just no. From a business perspective, the fact that the adaptation of such a high-profile, popular and successful manga is selling this low is downright embarrassing. The discs sales are a disappointment, plain and simple.

Second, yes, Blu-Ray/DVD sales are nowhere near to being the absolute, most important, number 1 factor in determining the success of an anime, like they were 10 years ago, for example. They are still really important for the Japanese market, of course, but as of right now, in 2023, they have been either matched or surpassed in importance as a source of revenue for anime by the source material sales (either manga, light novel, visual novel, etc), merchandise sales (more of this in a minute), TV ratings in Japan (something that doesn't concern the Chainsaw Man anime because it's a TV series that airs in the late night slot, not on prime time), and probably, maybe, licensing deals for streaming services. The problem for MAPPA is that for them, as the sole producers of the Chainsaw Man anime, the Blu-Ray/DVD sales were indeed the most important source of revenue.

On the subject of the sales for the source material, in this case the Chainsaw Man manga, obviously the numbers are incredibly good, fantastic, and spectacular. Nothing new to report here (and just to avoid any misunderstanding, MAPPA doesn't receive a single yen from the manga sales of Chainsaw Man).

For the merchandise sales, it seems there's a bit of confusion in this thread. Just like the manga, the merchandise sales for Chainsaw Man are wonderful, better than ever. But it appears some people think MAPPA is taking all the revenue from the merchandise sales, as if they were the owners of the Chainsaw Man IP. They're not, in any way, shape or form. The owners of the Chainsaw IP are Tatsuki Fujimoto and Shueisha, and therefore they are the ones that take the majority of the money from the merchandise sales. It's true that MAPPA has a business partnership with a company based on Hong Kong that includes collaborating on the merchandise from their anime in the Asian market, but that single company doesn't represent the entirety of the companies involved in the production of the merchandise for Chainsaw Man, not even close. Out of all the revenue generated by the Chainsaw Man merchandise, MAPPA is maybe taking a tiny, miniscule fraction, if anything at all.

And finally, we have the licensing deals for streaming services. This is where MAPPA probably got the most income from the Chainsaw Man anime. Seeing as how Crunchyroll advertised the series so heavily when it was airing, it leads me to believe that the license deals were really expensive, and in favor of MAPPA.

So, in conclusion:

1. Did MAPPA ended up losing money with the Chainsaw Man anime? Well, with those Blu-Ray/DVD sales, yes, probably, that's the most likely scenario. Maybe they managed to break even thanks to the licensing deals to streaming services, but they absolutely didn't make the profit they were hoping for with this project.

2. What does that mean for a second season of the anime? Honestly, I think Shueisha is going to order the production of the second season of the anime with MAPPA, anyways. Remember, publishers view anime as just advertising for the source material. Maybe the anime is a flop, but the manga of Chainsaw Man is a juggernaut, and anything that helps to increase or even just maintain the manga and merchandise sales is a good decision. Besides, this entire project costs nothing to Shueisha. Unlike normal circumstances, in this case MAPPA was the one who approached Shueisha with the plan to make a Chainsaw Man anime, not the other way around. That means MAPPA was the one who had to pay money in order to have the rights to make an adaptation of the manga. Shueisha got free worldwide publicity for one of their most popular current series. Why wouldn't they want that again?

And before anyone comes saying "YoU'rE jUsT a HaTeR", I really liked and enjoyed the Chainsaw Man anime. But that doesn't make me blind to the reality of the industry and the market.
your statement about  mappa got little revenue from merchandise is wrong tho
Apr 8, 2023 9:49 AM

Jun 2012
DrkSeid69 said:
Andan210 said:

So, in conclusion:

your statement about  mappa got little revenue from merchandise is wrong tho
Do you have a source? I'm not trying to start a fight or anything. If MAPPA somehow got Shueisha to license the merchandise rights of Chainsaw Man to them, I genuinely want to know. I mentioned their business partnership with Medialink that includes collaborating on merchandise. If there are any more deals with other companies like that, I would be glad to know.
To clarify, I'm not saying MAPPA is not making any money from merchandise. I'm saying that the percentage of money they're making from merchandise is really small when compared to the percentage Tatsuki Fujimoto/Shueisha are making. Which is logical, because they are the owners of the IP, not MAPPA.
Apr 8, 2023 2:54 PM
Sep 2012
Andan210 said:

To clarify, I'm not saying MAPPA is not making any money from merchandise. I'm saying that the percentage of money they're making from merchandise is really small when compared to the percentage Tatsuki Fujimoto/Shueisha are making. Which is logical, because they are the owners of the IP, not MAPPA.

Chill dude, whatever how much the sales of bluRay, it still gonna get movie or season 2. Wait for announcement during CSM and Mappa event next month. Even Dr.Stone season 1 bd only sell 200 copies still got season 2 and 3.
Apr 8, 2023 6:24 PM

Jun 2012
Eurycoma said:
Andan210 said:

Chill dude, whatever how much the sales of bluRay, it still gonna get movie or season 2. Wait for announcement during CSM and Mappa event next month.
I'm very chill, thank you for your concern. And if you read my first comment, you'll see that I already said that I'm confident that Chainsaw Man is getting a second season, because while MAPPA may or may not lose money with the anime, for Shueisha it was a good investment, and the most important thing is what Shueisha wants. So I'm not the one you need to tell to wait and see.

Eurycoma said:
Andan210 said:

Even Dr.Stone season 1 bd only sell 200 copies still got season 2 and 3.
That's a really bad comparison to try to make your point. 
Nobody doubts that Dr. Stone is getting a complete anime adaptation for the simple reason that the Dr. Stone anime is financed by a production committee that includes Shueisha itself, and to top it off it airs on prime time on Japanese TV. The animation studio, TMS Entertainment, is paid to make the anime, and then all the benefits and profits generated by the anime are collected by the different companies in the production committee. Dr. Stone is exactly the type of series that has never cared about Blu-Ray/DVD sales, because it's main financial objectives are to increase the sales of the manga, the merchandise, get high TV ratings in Japan, and get good licensing deals with streaming services. And the Dr. Stone anime has been incredibly successful in this objectives, so of course no one is worried or has doubts about it's continuation.

The Chainsaw Man anime, on the other hand, is solely financed by MAPPA alone. They can't benefit from manga sales, the majority of merchandise sales, or TV ratings. It's an entirely different situation for the two series.
Apr 8, 2023 6:43 PM

Jul 2016
Andan210 said:

The Chainsaw Man anime, on the other hand, is solely financed by MAPPA alone. They can't benefit from manga sales, the majority of merchandise sales, or TV ratings. It's an entirely different situation for the two series.

Only manga sales not benefit Mappa. Anime licensing, streaming view, anime merchandise and tv rating all goes to Mappa.

Remember that csm have the highest streaming view in Japan and Oversea when it airing. It also have the highest tv rating same rank with SxF fall season. Bleach TYBW have low tv rating compare with csm.
Apr 8, 2023 7:00 PM

Jun 2012
Metamarphosis said:
Andan210 said:

Only manga sales not benefit Mappa. Anime licensing, streaming view, anime merchandise and tv rating all goes to Mappa.

Remember that csm have the highest streaming view in Japan and Oversea when it airing. It also have the highest tv rating same rank with SxF fall season. Bleach TYBW have low tv rating compare with csm.
Yes, I already said that licensing deals with streaming services were probably the most profitable source of revenue for MAPPA with Chainsaw Man in my first comment. If MAPPA manages to break even or even make some profit on Chainsaw Man, it's going to be due to the licensing deals.

Chainsaw Man had some of the best ratings in Japanse TV for the late night slot, yes. The problem is that it airs in the late night slot in the first place. That's simply not as profitable as the ratings from prime time on TV. That source of revenue for this type of series is just not enough to recoup the entire financial investment.

And as I've said before, the anime merchandise sales are just a fraction of the total merchandise sales from Chainsaw Man. The majority percentage of the revenue from the merchandise sales is going to Tatsuki Fujimoto/Shueisha, not MAPPA.
Apr 8, 2023 7:15 PM

Jun 2012
Metamarphosis said:
Andan210 said:

It also have the highest tv rating same rank with SxF fall season. Bleach TYBW have low tv rating compare with csm.
Again, just like with the Dr. Stone comment, you are trying to compare series with very different circumstances that had very different objectives and sources of revenue.

And again, just like Dr. Stone, both Bleach and Spy X Family were financed by production committees that included Shueisha, and whose primary objectives, above everything else, were to boost the sales of their source material, merchandise and get juicy licensing deals. They succeeded in all of these things.

And again, that is not the position MAPPA is in with Chainsaw Man.
Andan210Apr 8, 2023 9:08 PM
Apr 8, 2023 7:30 PM

Jul 2016
Andan210 said:

All csm anime profit goes to Mappa since Mappa own csm anime. So what the problem?
Apr 8, 2023 7:47 PM
Aug 2022
Metamarphosis said:
Andan210 said:

All csm anime profit goes to Mappa since Mappa own csm anime. So what the problem?
except it doesn't lol, fujimoto is the creator of CSM, not mappa. He gets lions share of merchandise sales and almost entirity of manga sales revenue
Apr 8, 2023 7:50 PM

Jun 2012
Metamarphosis said:
Andan210 said:

The problem is that making anime is not cheap. And having to pay Shueisha so they will license the IP to you in order to make an anime is absolutely not cheap. As the sole financer of the project, MAPPA made a huge financial investment, and they needed every single source of revenue available. Because MAPPA is a single animation studio and not a production committee made up of different companies from different industries coming to work together, for them the sources of revenue were reduced to basically: Blu-Ray/DVD sales, licensing deals with streaming services, merchandise sales from the anime alone and Japanese TV ratings.

It seems we are in agreement that the Blu-Ray/DVD sales are catastrophic. And I talked about how merchandise sales from the anime alone through their website and their business partnership with Medialink, combined with TV ratings from the late night slot are probably not enough on their own to recoup the investment.

So that leaves the licensing deals with the streaming services as the last hope. If they managed to make a great deal for them, good. If not, they're probably in financial troubles. Which you know, it's a bad thing if you like to see MAPPA as a successful animation studio, and not as a bankrupt company.

And again, just to be clear, while MAPPA might "own" the Chainsaw Man anime TV series, they are not the owners of the Chainsaw Man IP. That means they don't have access to a lot of the sources of income from merchandise an anime production committee normally gets.
Andan210Apr 8, 2023 9:09 PM
Apr 8, 2023 7:52 PM

Jul 2016
Andan210 said:

So that leaves the licensing deals with the streaming services as the last hope. If they managed to make a great deal for them, good. If not, they're probably in financial troubles. Which you know, it's a bad thing if you like to see MAPPA as a successful animation studio, and not as a bankrupt company.

I already say that csm make huge profit from licensing. Look crunchyroll, csm is the most watch anime last year. Imagine how much money Mappa make.
Apr 8, 2023 8:12 PM

Jun 2012
Sagenaker11 said:
Metamarphosis said:

except it doesn't lol, fujimoto is the creator of CSM, not mappa. He gets lions share of merchandise sales and almost entirity of manga sales revenue
Thank you, finally someone who gets it. Going by how everyone was talking in this thread, for a minute I thought I had missed some big news where Fujimoto and Shueisha had sold the entirety of the merchandise rights of the Chainsaw Man franchise to MAPPA, which will be absolutely crazy.

I guess some people just assume that anime studios operate like Hollywood studios, in that they buy IP's and become the sole owners of all the rights to a franchise before they make an adaptation. And that couldn't be further from the truth.
Andan210Apr 8, 2023 8:26 PM
Apr 8, 2023 8:19 PM

Jun 2012
Metamarphosis said:
Andan210 said:

I already say that csm make huge profit from licensing. Look crunchyroll, csm is the most watch anime last year. Imagine how much money Mappa make.
And like I said, I hope that is true. I believe it's an uphill battle taking into account how much MAPPA must have spent in the adaptation rights, the production, marketing and distribution of the anime. But hey, maybe they did got all that sweet Sony money through Crunchyroll and everything is fine for them.
Apr 8, 2023 8:32 PM
Sep 2012
Andan210 said:
And like I said, I hope that is true. I believe it's an uphill battle taking into account how much MAPPA must have spent in the adaptation rights, the production, marketing and distribution of the anime. But hey, maybe they did got all that sweet Sony money through Crunchyroll and everything is fine for them.

Anime is good because great and passion staff work from it. Director not sleeping making csm anime to deliver best episode for us. You should praise Nakayama god.
Apr 8, 2023 8:46 PM
Aug 2022
Andan210 said:
Sagenaker11 said:
Thank you, finally someone who gets it. Going by how everyone was talking in this thread, for a minute I thought I had missed some big news where Fujimoto and Shueisha had sold the entirety of the merchandise rights of the Chainsaw Man franchise to MAPPA, which will be absolutely crazy.

I guess some people just assume that anime studios operate like Hollywood studios, in that they buy IP's and become the sole owners of all the rights to a franchise before they make an adaptation. And that couldn't be further from the truth.
that's why BD sales for csm was important as their source of revenue was already limited, but then again mappa might have already break even their cost with licensing alone.
Apr 8, 2023 9:04 PM

Jun 2012
Sagenaker11 said:
Andan210 said:

that's why BD sales for csm was important as their source of revenue was already limited, but then again mappa might have already break even their cost with licensing alone.
Exactly. That's why I commented in this thread in the first place. Too many people saying "MAPPA doesn't care about discs sales" and other falsehoods. 
And indeed, maybe they got a really good deal out of Sony with the licensing.

Eurycoma said:
Andan210 said:

Anime is good because great and passion staff work from it. Director not sleeping making csm anime to deliver best episode for us. You should praise Nakayama god.
Yeah, I'm just going to take this as a joke and move along.
Apr 10, 2023 4:46 PM
Dec 2022
why do people care about the sales lol it’s not like you run the company or something
Apr 11, 2023 8:55 AM

Dec 2022
Andan210 said:

So, in conclusion:

Mhm so at least mainly it's just a matter of when they're gonna announce then when they're gonna air the 2nd season/sequel not a matter of it's cancelled and moved to another studio ik and all but MAPPA literally took this risk by not having any production committee other than themselves. So either they knew this won't have any huge benefits since this is more of a seinen type of direction (movie direction) in the anime here rather than your usual battle shonen so they lack comedy basically the comedy is mostly around subtext or they're just alr one step ahead for whatever reasons i couldn't really think of off top of my head.

Apr 11, 2023 1:53 PM

Jun 2012
SanessyAdversary said:
Andan210 said:

So, in conclusion:

Mhm so at least mainly it's just a matter of when they're gonna announce then when they're gonna air the 2nd season/sequel not a matter of it's cancelled and moved to another studio ik and all but MAPPA literally took this risk by not having any production committee other than themselves. So either they knew this won't have any huge benefits since this is more of a seinen type of direction (movie direction) in the anime here rather than your usual battle shonen so they lack comedy basically the comedy is mostly around subtext or they're just alr one step ahead for whatever reasons i couldn't really think of off top of my head.

To clarify, Chainsaw Man is not a Seinen manga. It's a Shounen manga, published in Shounen Jump+. It's a battle manga series, and it has plenty of comedy in it, too. The next installment in the franchise may be either a movie or a second season of the TV series, but that decision has nothing to do with the demographic or the genre of the series.

MAPPA took a huge gamble in financing the Chainsaw Man anime TV series because they were hoping the anime would explode in sales, just like other anime adaptations of modern popular battle mangas published by Shueisha. We can discuss all day if this was a good decision on their part, but the fact is that the anime failed in the sales department. MAPPA may not lose any money at the end with the project, but the hard truth is that you don't make a millionaire investment in something hoping to just break even, without earning significant more money than before.

That's something common. Companies bet on a project making them lots of money, but something fails and that doesn't happen. Almost every company in the history of every industry in every country in the world went through that.
Andan210Apr 11, 2023 2:21 PM
Apr 12, 2023 8:17 AM
Sep 2022
they should sell chainsaw hats
Apr 13, 2023 10:18 AM

Dec 2022
King_KK said:
GT_Onizuka_13 said:
Bocchi the Rock! Blu-ray/DVD sales so far ?

Vol.1 - 26,656 copies (6 weeks)

Vol.2 - 20,251 copies (3 weeks)

Vol.3 - 20,293 copies (2 weeks)

Vol.4 - 18,647 copies (1 week)

That's nothing compared to other series like Bakemonogatari(80,000 copies per volume), Madoka Magica(71,000 per volume), Attack On Titan s1(50,000 copies per volume), K-On(40,000 per volume). Bocchi needs to do better. Why compare it with flop anime like CSM rather than popular shows like Attack On Titan. Bocchi's sales numbers are not that impressive compared to actual popular shows. They just seem impressive compared to shows that flopped.
Most shows nowadays don't even break 3k BDs on the regular (Actually, selling a bit more than 4k is already pretty great, G-Witch is massive on JP and got 7k on the first week) 20k is a fucking LOT. All these series you mentioned are from a time where BDs were way more prevalent. AOT is a example of that considering how much it dropped on BDs from the first season to the second one
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 27, 2022

993 by Coinos »»
Jun 2, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 20, 2022

389 by KediTime12 »»
Jun 2, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 18, 2022

1142 by ssjzachary »»
May 29, 4:35 PM

» Crunchyroll awards

Naveen6662246 - May 22

19 by Naveen6662246 »»
May 27, 3:48 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 15, 2022

591 by thatlittlefox »»
May 24, 7:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.