Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 8, 2023 3:20 AM

May 2016
So I have a question regarding the physical releases of the blu-ray edition of this show.
Back when it was on Crunchyroll it was one of my anti bad day watches, but then Crunchyroll lost the license to it.
Then Funimation picked it up, and when I watched about 5 minutes of the first episode the translations were horrifyingly bad.
HiDive also had the show up until somewhat recently.

Now to the point of my post.
Has anyone bought the Sentai Filmworks blu-ray version of this show?
I'm curious as to whether the version Crunchyroll had was the Sentai licensed and distributed version.
Or whether Funimation has the Sentai version on their site.
My reason for asking is ever since getting a HiDive sub I've noticed that all the shows I enjoyed watching on Crunchyroll that are no longer on there but are still on HiDive have HORRIFYINGLY terrible translations and translation noted splotched all over the screen, for example Gate, Hozuki's Coolheadedness S2 and Akame ga Kill.

When Tanaka enters the classroom with Oota the Funimation version calls Tanaka "Lazy" rather than Listless as it should have been.
If anyone can clarify for me, I'd like to know how that conversation pans out in the Sentai Filmworks blu-ray released  version.
Feb 8, 2023 7:58 AM
May 2022
I recently finished watching it on Blu-ray because they removed it from Crunchyroll and it's the same translation in both of them. so I would recommend picking up the Blu-ray
Feb 8, 2023 4:48 PM

Dec 2008
Thanks for that info I'm definitely going to have to buy that blu-ray now. I guess I need to buy the physical media for all the slife of life anti-depression shows since I can't trust Crunchyroll to keep them forever.
Feb 8, 2023 10:02 PM

May 2016
Newocat said:
I recently finished watching it on Blu-ray because they removed it from Crunchyroll and it's the same translation in both of them. so I would recommend picking up the Blu-ray
That is great to hear.
Thanks for putting my worries to rest.
Feb 27, 2023 11:13 PM

May 2016
I just bought a copy of Tanaka Kun is Always Listless off Ebay.
And despite the fact it says it's a Sentai Filmworks release and region coded A (Haven't tried putting it into my PS4 to test its region capabilities) the subtitles are vastly different from the version that was on Crunchyroll.
It seems to be a cross between the version that was on Crunchyroll and the current version that's on Funimation.
Some of the dialogue is weird for example when Tanaka was exercising in gym class and the teacher told him off for taking a break.
Now the weird part is, in the Crunchyroll version after telling him off for taking a break during exercise he is supposed to say "And don't skip to the end before everyone else" he instead says "And don't skip to your break before everyone else"
I thought it might be a bootleg, partially because on the back of the case it has stamped in blue dot letters "Disc Made in Mexico" and none of the images on the Sentai Filmworks website show that at all, and most other ebay listings with pictures of the back don't show it either.
Either the print doesn't show up when a photo is taken off it, or the copy I got was in fact a bootleg.
Problem is, Sentai doesn't ship to New Zealand so I can't order an 'official' copy to check, Amazon only has stock from individuals rather than companies now and if I was to order a copy from Rightstuf it would cost me approximately $160 NZD and I can't be too loose with my money now that we have a release date for part 1 of Urusei Yatsura.

I'm still awaiting a reply from Sentai but does anyone else have any insight into my problem?

Finally got a reply from Sentai.
Turns out it isn't a bootleg and it's just another one of Sentai's horrible home video releases.

EDIT: Just in case my final post isn't clear.
There are huge differences between the version that aired on Crunchyroll compared to Sentai's blu-ray release.
So either people don't remember the Crunchyroll version that well, or each region had a different version on Crunchyroll.
DosantsuMar 3, 2023 10:02 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2016

219 by Akaseaka »»
Sep 2, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2016

100 by Akaseaka »»
Sep 2, 4:14 AM

Poll: » Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 21, 2016

140 by Akaseaka »»
Sep 2, 1:26 AM

Poll: » Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2016

148 by Akaseaka »»
Sep 1, 11:33 PM

Poll: » Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2016

164 by Akaseaka »»
Sep 1, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.