Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 13, 2022 5:09 AM
Jul 2019
I really get depressed watching this first episode. This show looks down on old military officials and turns them into stupid clowns. In contrast, 2 young generals are hyped to the roof. The first one is Reinhard. In this episode, his force was only half the enemy's and he was surrounded in three directions. However, the only order he gave was "all ship, heads for the enemy front", hoping that the enemy troops on both sides would just stay still and watch. In fact, the two side forces of the Alliance really just stood watching their middle force being beaten, making viewers like me wonder why would they split up in the first place. Meanwhile, the commander of the Alliance was surprised by this, and guess what, even though the battle has already started, he literally started to do the division and realized that 40000/3 < 20000. Even after the calculation, he couldn't give a proper order to his men although their force was still 13000 even if their number was lower than that of the enemy. Meanwhile, Yang, the talented general who understood the current situation the most, just laughed it off without trying to convince his commander, as if he couldn't understand that if their ship exploded, he would die along with his silly commander. The funniest part of the whole episode was that Yang knew exactly which ship Mr. Reinhard was on, but Reinhard's battleship was safe enough for Reinhard to leisurely watch the stars. He must have foreseen the future that the enemy would never shoot him. His future prediction was even shown that he knew exactly which wing of the enemy would be left vulnerable when both wings should be the same. One last thing is that although the music is great, the animation is bad.
Now is the question, should I keep watching because everyone will be smarter after this, should I switch to the remake version because it was adapted better, is this show simply not for me, or am I getting the wrong expectation?
LHTdota2Jul 13, 2022 5:28 AM
Jul 13, 2022 5:26 AM

Jan 2021
Watch the movies "My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars" and "Overture to a New War," then start at episode 3 of the OVA for the best experience.

For your other concerns, yeah the animation's dated, but it improves over time. And yes, the protagonists (there are a lot of them) are typically the smartest people on the battlefield. However, the military tactics are not the main appeal of this show, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
johneastonJul 13, 2022 5:30 AM
Jul 13, 2022 5:42 AM
Jul 2019
I gonna try those 2 prequel shows first then. And how do you compare the remake version with the old version? Which one is better adapted and is there any change in the new one compared to the old one?
Jul 13, 2022 6:13 AM

Jan 2021
LHTdota2 said:
I gonna try those 2 prequel shows first then. And how do you compare the remake version with the old version? Which one is better adapted and is there any change in the new one compared to the old one?

I haven't seen the remake, but I'll say what I generally hear:

Animation is better, because it's newer, but the artstyle is extremely generic, and some of the character designs are laughable compared to the original.

The original added a lot of dialogue and other scenes to improve on the source material, which is not present in the remake.

The orignal has a soundtrack made almost entirely of classical music, while the remake does not. This is largely just preference, but I think the classical music really helps preserve the tone of the show as a whole.
Jul 13, 2022 8:14 AM

Jan 2021
LHTdota2 said:

Forgot to mention, the remake is also incomplete, and it'll probably be a good 5ish years minimum before it's done.
Jul 13, 2022 8:28 AM

Apr 2016
You have seen one episode. I don't really like it until the first season ending (around episode 27). But I can say it really worth it, even if it doesn't hook you in the beginning.
Jul 15, 2022 5:17 AM
Jul 2019
There are smart old generals too in the show, don't worry
Jul 16, 2022 7:05 AM
Mar 2021
Watch the two movies first, then start from ep 3

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 100 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 6, 2008

82 by ryzxgum »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 )

58 by ryzxgum »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 98 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

136 by ryzxgum »»
Today, 12:27 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

83 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 94 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 5, 2008

63 by ryzxgum »»
Yesterday, 12:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.