Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 9, 2017 6:42 PM

Jun 2014
For only being the first episode, this looks really interesting.

Conan really has guts leaping onto that hydroplane like that, but he was raised to live off the land/sea, so I guess he's used to those sorts of things.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 10, 2017 12:27 AM

Jun 2016
Great first episode, unsurprisingly. Hayao Miyazaki always does a good job of pulling me in during the beginnings of his works, however, he tends to lose me in the middle, and 100% of the time so far, loses me by the end. Miyazaki is a good animator with good ideas, but he can't write for crap. In fact he's even said himself that he doesn't have the story finished when he works on a film. He makes the story as he storyboards, and the film is made as he's still storyboarding. I remember finding that out awhile back and just thinking how everything makes sense now. He's making stuff up as he goes, and it's painfully apparent.

However, don't get me wrong, I actually have extremely high hopes for this anime and think it has a fair chance of being my favorite Miyazaki work yet. Since it's an adaptation of a novel, Miyazaki is able to stay away from writing the actual story and can just do what he does best. It's for this reason I love "Nadia: Secret of Blue Water" so much. The concept was created by Miyazaki, a man with really good ideas, but the project was given to an actual competent writer.

Anyway, guess that's what I'm thinking. I am looking forward to this, though for different reasons than most people would probably have.
Nov 10, 2017 2:22 AM

Feb 2016
@spagem, Yeah, I saw a video some time ago I about it, Miyazaki gives his scenes a great sense of direction, movement and spatial awareness which he really did in this episode too, the places Conan goes all feel so real and you have the feeling like you understand exactly how the place looks and navigates.
My favorite movies of his are the ones that are more focused on what’s happening in the moment than they are trying to tell a story, Spirited away is my favorite of his because instead of telling a story it keeps getting into new ones, it’s almost always busy drawing you into this new little story and not really concerned with telling an overarching one.

This show started fun for me already, whenever I see a plane in Miyazaki’s work I imagine him just asking his bosses “Can I put a(nother) plane in? Can I design the plane please?” with puppy eyes.

@Seiya I wouldn’t call it brave myself, Canon seems to be kind of cartoonishly superhuman, being able to hold his breath for A LONG TIME (I couldn’t hold my breath that long), out swimming a shark and just carrying around said 700-1200 KG shark as if it’s a fur coat, not that I mind the lack of realism, the shark-carrying made for a really fun scene, and the shark chase scene was pretty exciting.

I thought it was kind of weird how grand-pa was the only elderly survivor, especially since it’d only been 20 years, but I guess the ship wasn’t some sort of Noah’s ark with young people that were gonna save humanity from possible extinction, but some old rich people trying to escape death instead (that’s me filling in the blanks though). Great to see Grand-pa isn't like that now though, he's very sweet (depite getting out a rocket and threatening to blow himself and two people he doesnt like up if they don't leave...).

Really looking forward to the next episode
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Old School Scanlation Updates ( 1 2 3 )

_-_Sally_-_ - Mar 4, 2020

144 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 17, 3:28 PM

» Old School Fansub Updates ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

_-_Sally_-_ - Dec 3, 2016

221 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 17, 3:04 PM

» Name an old school Anime from A-Z! ( 1 2 3 )

_-_Sally_-_ - Jan 6, 2017

120 by Crazy48s »»
Mar 10, 10:46 AM

» What shows are you watching lately?

Cbr_Star - Dec 15, 2017

20 by TK2002 »»
Oct 21, 2023 4:18 AM

» What old school Anime are you currently watching? ( 1 2 3 )

_-_Sally_-_ - Dec 2, 2016

102 by Rubidea »»
Sep 20, 2023 5:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.