Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Would I cripple my watching experience by treating 'Gundam Unicorn' (2016) as a standalone series?

New
Apr 10, 2016 1:32 PM
Nov 2014
Watched it, bruh...
23rdeconomicsJun 1, 2021 9:51 AM
Apr 10, 2016 11:54 PM

Jan 2011
Short answer is yes.

You can't really jump into the UC timeline (for all practical purposes) at the very end. I mean you just can't. The first episode alone has enough winks to everything UC that to a newcomer it would just go right over their head. Considering your main point was appreciation of the series then yes you aren't going to appreciate it because so much has happened up to this point. You will enjoy the drama and the flash but that's about it. There won't be depth to what you are watching because all the theory and world building will not have been watched.

If you want an abridged version to get to Unicorn then watch:
Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy (very good synopsis)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam movie trilogy (this is a decent synopsis at best. Fans will tell you that you need to watch all 50 episodes and I'm inclined to agree. Zeta is very good and the movies will give you the gist without question but there is a lot to miss)
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (is it apart of the series, yes. Do you really need to watch it...I'm one to say no. First half is miserable and second half is actually pertinent but can be read about very quickly)
Mobile Suit Gundam Chars Counter Attack

Aside from ZZ, these are all movies. 13 hours or so versus 150 episodes plus a movie. If you like Gundam AND want to watch UC timeline then you need to do this pretty much.

If you want a first entry into gundam then I would say get out of UC and watch an alternative timeline entry. 00 or Seed and Seed Destiny are good titles for newcomers bc they are "newer" and have a lot of entertainment value. While these titles will net you love-hate responses from UC fans, on the whole they are good titles and you will prob end up enjoying them as a mecha fan. I like them. Being new to gundam and starting at the beginning of UC might be a turn off and is why I don't recommend it bc we are talking 30+ years ago script writing and animation and even though it's good stuff, not what I would recommend to start off with but something to come back to.

Me personally. My entry into gundam was Wing.
Wing --> Seed --> Seed Destiny --> 00 --> UC
IZEROIIApr 11, 2016 12:04 AM
Apr 11, 2016 7:05 AM
Jul 2018
I watched the OVA version of MSG Unicorn, without watching any of the previous entries in the UC Timeline, and I liked it a lot.

I am sure that if I watched the original series, Zeta and Char's Counterattack movie I would understand and appreciate Unicorn more than I did, but by no means my lack of knowledge about the MSG universe cripple my watching experience.

Unicorn is a good anime and I recommend it to you. My only concern is that the TV series version seems to be having pacing issues, so you might as well watch the OVA version.
Apr 11, 2016 7:19 AM

Jan 2011
Aereldor said:

To be entirely honest, I enjoyed this series because of its immensely high production value and stunning opening and ending sequences, and that more-or-less summarizes my relationship with the Gundam franchise (barring The Origin, as I've been able to understand all of it and am deeply engrossed in its story).

However, since I did enjoy Unicorn without understanding most of it, I'm willing to put in at least a little work in order to understand it. Do you think watching just the movie trilogy and perhaps Char's Counterattack would be sufficient? If not, I may be inclined to just go on with Unicorn looking up the Wiki for stuff that I'm truly interested in, or just waiting till all the Origin OVAs are out (if I'm not wrong, they're a retelling of the 0079 films, no?).

Something that also drew me to Gundam Unicorn was that I don't have a lot to look out for this season. However, seeing as you said Gundam Wing, Seed, Seed, Destiny, and 00 are easier to get into and maintain high production value and more modern animation, I might give the more recent entries a shot.

Your assistance is most appreciated. Thanks again.

No problem at all. Glad I could help.

As far as your question regarding just watching the movie trilogy and CCC movie, I think that will be sufficient. The original MSG trilogy sets the pace, builds the world, and lays the foundation of the major conflict of this timeline. Zeta movies expand on the theory of this conflict and further develop Char. ZZ doesn't have a movie set but continues to highlight the complex conflict between spacenoids and those who's souls are still weighed down by Earth's gravity. CCC movie is the culmination of this struggle. A fantastic film. There is a lot of philosophical drama in the UC timeline and it is very satisfying to watch and reflect on. The Origin OVAs are more of a prequel to the original MSG more so than a retelling.

So, I don't think there is anything wrong with watching Unicorn as you are now then if the enjoyment factor is high for you. I think you will continue to enjoy it but will of course enjoy/appreciate development more if you know the background stuff. And there is going to be stuff you simply don't get or will miss (just on the MS front for example, the theory of the psycoframe and psycommu started in CCC, developed by Zeon and leaked to the Federation for personal reasons) because it doesn't trigger a memory. I didn't watch Unicorn when it first came out because I hadn't watched anything UC. I'm glad I waited to watch it chronologically. So proceed with caution but don't hesitate to proceed if you feel like it.

As far as production value goes being a major lure for you, I'd go ahead and look into 00 and the HD rerelease of Seed and Seed Destiny. Beautifully done titles that are very pretty to look at. 00 (S1 > S2) is actually prob my favorite Gundam and I did enjoy the Seed entries a lot. Tackle Wing if you want to but in truth it's not a stellar series just one a lot of Western's had as their first experience into Gundam so there is a nostalgia factor to that entry.
IZEROIIApr 11, 2016 7:34 AM
Apr 13, 2016 2:31 AM

Jun 2010
I'll copy paste my responses from two other threads:

SS2_Vegeto said:
It more or less presumes knowledge of 0079, Zeta, and ZZ, and is a direct sequel to Char's Counterattack. You could probably follow the narrative well enough with a little background knowledge even without actually watching all of that, but you honestly won't get as much out of it if you don't.

Also, contrary to what some people have insinuated, the only reason Zeta isn't more skip-able than ZZ in relation to Unicorn (which isn't to insinuate that either of them are particularly skip-able) is that ZZ is a direct continuation of Zeta and so itself makes no sense if you haven't watched Zeta.

SS2_Vegeto said:
You can follow more or less what's going on, but you'll miss the significance of much of it unless you at least know a lot about the previous history of the Universal Century, because this series is basically ABOUT resolving that history.

So long story short, yes you would, because it isn't a standalone series.
Apr 13, 2016 9:31 PM

Oct 2009
read manga Gundam The Origin will help you to understand about UC universe
Apr 14, 2016 2:27 AM
Nov 2014
ValexIV said:
I watched the OVA version of MSG Unicorn, without watching any of the previous entries in the UC Timeline, and I liked it a lot.

I am sure that if I watched the original series, Zeta and Char's Counterattack movie I would understand and appreciate Unicorn more than I did, but by no means my lack of knowledge about the MSG universe cripple my watching experience.

Unicorn is a good anime and I recommend it to you. My only concern is that the TV series version seems to be having pacing issues, so you might as well watch the OVA version.

I meant to get back to you on this. I watched the first episode of the OVAs, and it's identical to the TV series, just without the brighter colour-grading and CG additions and lighting. Cut-for-cut, voice-for-voice, the TV series a re-release through and through.

On that note, I ask- how could one have pacing issues but not the other?
23rdeconomicsApr 14, 2016 2:48 AM
Apr 14, 2016 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
Aereldor said:
I meant to get back to you on this. I watched the first episode of the OVAs, and it's identical to the TV series, just without the brighter colour-grading and CG additions and lighting. Cut-for-cut, voice-for-voice, the TV series a re-release through and through.

On that note, I ask- how could one have pacing issues but not the other?

Pacing might have been the wrong word. What I meant was, that the first episode finished really abruptly. Having now seen the second episode, I must say that this trend continues. It just seems to me that the hour long episodes cannot be cut into equal parts, which affects the flow of the show.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 Episode 18 Discussion

Wazefock - Aug 13, 2016

10 by gxbrielcruz »»
Sep 20, 2023 10:49 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Insertanamehere - Apr 2, 2016

76 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Sep 3, 2023 8:01 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 Episode 10 Discussion

The_Sum_of_Zero - Jun 4, 2016

11 by gxbrielcruz »»
Aug 25, 2023 5:05 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 Episode 9 Discussion

The_Sum_of_Zero - May 28, 2016

15 by gxbrielcruz »»
Aug 25, 2023 4:38 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 Episode 6 Discussion

Wazefock - May 7, 2016

10 by gxbrielcruz »»
Jun 15, 2023 10:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.