Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 20, 2014 5:44 PM

Feb 2011
windows 8 looks so tabletish but i still like it
May 20, 2014 5:50 PM

Nov 2013
Windows 8 is like Windows 7 for cell phones shaped like computers. That and there's no start menu. So if your computer doesn't have a touch screen, Windows 8 is borderline unusable IMHO. I had a laptop that came with Windows 8, and I sent it back to the shop so they could downgrade it to Windows 7.
May 21, 2014 7:35 AM

Nov 2011
bennitori said:
Windows 8 is like Windows 7 for cell phones shaped like computers. That and there's no start menu. So if your computer doesn't have a touch screen, Windows 8 is borderline unusable IMHO. I had a laptop that came with Windows 8, and I sent it back to the shop so they could downgrade it to Windows 7.

Windows 8 can be modified to be essentially a replica of Windows 7. I have the old start menu, and if I want to, I can open the Windows 8 menu with the windows button, since it has a faster file search. It took me maybe an hour to set everything up how I wanted it.
May 21, 2014 1:21 PM

Dec 2011
Khaoscontrol said:
bennitori said:

Windows 8 can be modified to be essentially a replica of Windows 7. I have the old start menu, and if I want to, I can open the Windows 8 menu with the windows button, since it has a faster file search. It took me maybe an hour to set everything up how I wanted it.

This.

We can surely expect Microsoft to give us an actual start menu update this summer/early fall. Link
May 21, 2014 3:25 PM
Apr 2014
alot of people would say 7 is better most of the pople i know with it have problems that happen because of 8
May 21, 2014 5:04 PM

Apr 2014
A friend of mine seemed to have some problems when trying to play older games like Warcraft 3 and the likes. But i don't know if it's a pc specific problem or a general problem with Windows 8. I personally hate the Windows 8 tiles but if they make it so that you can just disable all that useless stuff that nobody needs i'd consider getting it for my new laptop.
May 22, 2014 6:49 AM

Sep 2013
Windows 8.1 if you really want windows 8

or stay windows 7
May 22, 2014 8:23 AM

Jul 2012
Windows 8 with everything disabled

and http://www.classicshell.net/

windows classicshell

and then I deleted every single app on the computer
May 22, 2014 9:07 AM

Oct 2013
Windows 7 by far. Windows 8 tries to be user friendly but fails because of all the fancy crap. Keep it short and simple like Windows 7.
May 22, 2014 12:51 PM

May 2014
I have windows 8.1
but i'd say the new features are pretty useless, for me that is...
windows 7 is fine in my opinion
May 22, 2014 2:14 PM

Oct 2013
Windows 8.1 with apps from Stardock (Start8 & ModernMix) that make it look and work just like Windows 7.
May 23, 2014 6:47 PM

May 2013
I find that It is easy to get used to Windows 8/8.1, actually you can just disable things that you don't like about Windows 8 usually. One thing that has been bothering me though, is the lack of a way to change the font used in Windows 8. Microsoft removed it from some reason in windows 8... (>_<)

May 23, 2014 7:19 PM

Jan 2014
Reasons I like Windows 8 over Windows 7:

- Intuitive, easy to install alternate on-screen keyboards for multiple language support. I studied a bit of Hebrew in uni, and still tinker with Rosetta Stone Hebrew, so it's nice to be able to switch between keyboards with a couple keystrokes or screen taps.

- Windows 8.1 + Start8 puts all the functionality back into the start menu and allows booting right to the normal desktop. Apps are there if I want them, but I rarely use them.

- Very stable, great for multitasking. Might be my hardware though. But so far the OS itself has never crashed or locked up, just applications (mainly my heavily tweaked/modded Skyrim).

- Charms menu makes stuff very accessible, took some getting used to at first, but I like it.

Things I don't like about Windows 8:

- Stock Windows 8 does not have a functional start menu, at least not according to my standards of functionality. Did not like the fact that it booted to app screen either.

- Permissions issues in stock Windows 8. Unable to view, delete, modify, rename, etc. files, even after numerous changes to settings and hard drive file attributes.

- ^ Necessitated an 8 -> 8.1 upgrade and the addition of Start8, an application that restores functionality to the start menu. The 8 -> 8.1 upgrade was hell though. Tons of issues with permissions, failure to boot properly, etc. but finally got it sorted.

- Search functionality is still broken, even after an 8 -> 8.1 upgrade. So I've killed indexing and turned off all search functionality, I use it so rarely that if I end up needing it I'll just install a 3rd party search application.
May 24, 2014 10:58 PM
May 2014
Windows 7. For sure.

Windows has this funny way of releasing new OS's.
Windows ME = crap
Windows XP = amazing
Windows Vista = crap
Windows 7 = amazing
Windows 8 = crap

Definitely go for Windows 7.
May 24, 2014 11:03 PM

Apr 2014
duckduckshark said:
Windows 8 = crap
can't say that windows 8 is a crappy one since I am using windows 8 and haven't seen anything that is crappy, there are no bugs too D:
May 24, 2014 11:08 PM
Nov 2008
Jackrabb1t said:
Reasons I like Windows 8 over Windows 7:

- Intuitive, easy to install alternate on-screen keyboards for multiple language support. I studied a bit of Hebrew in uni, and still tinker with Rosetta Stone Hebrew, so it's nice to be able to switch between keyboards with a couple keystrokes or screen taps.

- Windows 8.1 + Start8 puts all the functionality back into the start menu and allows booting right to the normal desktop. Apps are there if I want them, but I rarely use them.

- Very stable, great for multitasking. Might be my hardware though. But so far the OS itself has never crashed or locked up, just applications (mainly my heavily tweaked/modded Skyrim).

- Charms menu makes stuff very accessible, took some getting used to at first, but I like it.

Things I don't like about Windows 8:

- Stock Windows 8 does not have a functional start menu, at least not according to my standards of functionality. Did not like the fact that it booted to app screen either.

- Permissions issues in stock Windows 8. Unable to view, delete, modify, rename, etc. files, even after numerous changes to settings and hard drive file attributes.

- ^ Necessitated an 8 -> 8.1 upgrade and the addition of Start8, an application that restores functionality to the start menu. The 8 -> 8.1 upgrade was hell though. Tons of issues with permissions, failure to boot properly, etc. but finally got it sorted.

- Search functionality is still broken, even after an 8 -> 8.1 upgrade. So I've killed indexing and turned off all search functionality, I use it so rarely that if I end up needing it I'll just install a 3rd party search application.
i'd just do a clean install, since most of the issues you're having aren't common.

also, windows 8.1 allows you to boot right to the desktop. you don't need an external application for that.
May 24, 2014 11:12 PM

Feb 2014
Is linux choice for this thread??
Zero Suit Samus/ Meta Knight
M2k
DBZ
May 24, 2014 11:16 PM

Apr 2014
elfenliedXsis said:
http://www.zdnet.com/five-reasons-id-rather-run-windows-8-than-linux-7000025597/

and I think this is only between 7 and 8
May 24, 2014 11:21 PM

Feb 2014
kanakura said:
elfenliedXsis said:
http://www.zdnet.com/five-reasons-id-rather-run-windows-8-than-linux-7000025597/

and I think this is only between 7 and 8

Fine i perfer windows 7 over 8
Zero Suit Samus/ Meta Knight
M2k
DBZ
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Nintendo is suing Palworld

Dumb - Yesterday

13 by Yuno »»
1 hour ago

» How old is your computer? ( 1 2 3 4 )

CastletonSnob - Mar 12, 2021

152 by ScaryOwl »»
5 hours ago

» Favourite licensed game? Based on a book, anime, card, movie/tv, board, comic, poem, etc. first before a video game

Suntanned_Duck2 - Dec 26, 2021

14 by fleurbleue »»
7 hours ago

» Sad state of gaming series. Any series you like that fell into a abyss?

rohan121 - Aug 27

28 by Luc36 »»
8 hours ago

» What's the most obscure game you've ever played?

karioka- - Aug 16

27 by walktheplank »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.