Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 29, 2:12 PM
Feb 2021
I can't help but notice some overarching christian themes throughout this season, especially the latter half. Themes of self-sacrifice, non-violence and pacifism, growth through abject suffering, facing ones past sins, work ethic, raising up the downtrodden and the moral rejection of slavery (Christians where the first to reject slavery historically) to name what I can count. One scene shows Thorfinn eavesdropping on his masters reading from the bible and being enamored with the content, which signals to me that the scripture aligns with his personal believes to a certain degree. It is clear that certain characters are explicitly christian and shown carrying crosses and owning bibles. I don't feel like it is a coincidence that there is so much that happens to align with what is in my understanding chrisitan. At least the values that the show expresses throughout.

I'm not christian my self so my understanding of the theology is limited but I feel like this season had, though perhaps not intentionally, christian-like themes throughout its story line. That is at least my impression. If you are Christian, I would like to know how you found this season, especially in regards to its themes? if it resonated with your personal believes?

If it is the case, I think this is how you do a "religious show". Not by being overtly preachy but representing core values as virtuous and important and letting the viewer come to their own conclusion, which signals confidence in one's world view as opposed to beating people over their heads with your believes. Often religious media puts the cart before the horse and comes of as more like confirming one's own believes, I.E. propaganda. There is a difference however between propagating certain values instead of manipulating people into believing certain things. If Vinland Saga S2 is "christian" than it is not telling you to be christian but rather dramatizing the importance of certain values that happen to be christian. In that case, Vinland Saga S2 is an example of good religious media because it is non-dogmatic and its morals are correct.

Please keep the discussion free of spoilers for the story beyond S2 of the manga, as I only watch the anime.
Jan 29, 2:22 PM

Jul 2015
Didn't Thorfinn actually became Christian? He seemed to enjoy listening to Bible readings.
And yeah, Bible teaches, that humans are inheritly flawed beings prone to sin and temptation, but none is beyond redemption if they seek atonement. Kinda fits this "I have no enemies" rhetoric.
PiromyslJan 29, 2:25 PM

Jan 29, 3:25 PM

Jan 2021
Tigrrr111 said:
I can't help but notice some overarching christian themes throughout this season, especially the latter half. Themes of self-sacrifice, non-violence and pacifism, growth through abject suffering, facing ones past sins, work ethic, raising up the downtrodden and the moral rejection of slavery (Christians where the first to reject slavery historically) to name what I can count. One scene shows Thorfinn eavesdropping on his masters reading from the bible and being enamored with the content, which signals to me that the scripture aligns with his personal believes to a certain degree. It is clear that certain characters are explicitly christian and shown carrying crosses and owning bibles. I don't feel like it is a coincidence that there is so much that happens to align with what is in my understanding chrisitan. At least the values that the show expresses throughout.

I'm not christian my self so my understanding of the theology is limited but I feel like this season had, though perhaps not intentionally, christian-like themes throughout its story line. That is at least my impression. If you are Christian, I would like to know how you found this season, especially in regards to its themes? if it resonated with your personal believes?

If it is the case, I think this is how you do a "religious show". Not by being overtly preachy but representing core values as virtuous and important and letting the viewer come to their own conclusion, which signals confidence in one's world view as opposed to beating people over their heads with your believes. Often religious media puts the cart before the horse and comes of as more like confirming one's own believes, I.E. propaganda. There is a difference however between propagating certain values instead of manipulating people into believing certain things. If Vinland Saga S2 is "christian" than it is not telling you to be christian but rather dramatizing the importance of certain values that happen to be christian. In that case, Vinland Saga S2 is an example of good religious media because it is non-dogmatic and its morals are correct.

Please keep the discussion free of spoilers for the story beyond S2 of the manga, as I only watch the anime.

I don’t know if it’s intentional or not either, but it’s pretty accurate, historically speaking. The likelihood of Thorfinn running into someone who was Christian was bound to happen with how prevalent Christianity was, geographically, in that part of the world.

As a Christian, I appreciate this season of Vinland Saga’s discussion around morality, values, humanity, atonement, and redemption. Funny enough, this topic was something I was thinking about the other day—with that scene of Thorfinn listening to Snake reading the Bible to Sverkel. I would like to think that at that moment, Thorfinn decided to follow the faith. However, going off what was presented, I don’t think he’s a Christian. Rather, he respects and appreciates what he heard during those times he eavesdropped and even adopted some of the principles into his own way of thinking.

Einar even said that Thorfinn wasn’t Christian, but he liked listening to the stories.
"To Infinity and Beyond."
Jan 29, 3:56 PM
May 2021
as a Christian I loved the way they showcased it and yes I resonated with the message heavily
Jan 29, 4:19 PM
Sep 2019
Oh I think it's totally pulling from Christian theology, all the way back to Thors's "you have no enemies". I don't think Yukimura is necessarily Christian, I just think within the context of this time period, Christianity represents progressing past simple "might is right" ideology that glorified violence over peace.

The history of violence and religion is of course very complicated and intertwined, and Christianity is no exception.I myself am not religious at all and have very complicated feelings towards religion. But yeah I'd agree that this is a perfect way to incorporate religion into art. Because it's not about all of Christianity and everything it entails, and it's not trying to convert the audience. It just kind of takes that core theme of Christian love and explores it in depth. The concepts being explored can fit in with all sorts of spiritual and secular worldviews, it's just that in this context, Christianity makes the most sense as a vehicle/lens to explore them through.
Jan 29, 4:32 PM
Jan 2018
Traditionally, christian media is only seriously embraced by the community when the ideals are firmly stated in the story. A couple people have gotten some acclaim by using "christian-lite" themes, but they never get the respect of a "proud, cross waving christian" media creator. See JRR Tolkien. He may well have created a successful universe respected by people across the world in many languages, but I personally know many christians that consider his works demonic.

Ultimately, any religion, in this case specifically Christianity, is subjective and each individual hand picks which part of the Bible they are going to choose to follow. In that sense, Thorfinn is a "Christian." If you go by the whole accept Jesus into your heart as your lord and savior deal, then he's not. Tho theoretically, he could have done all that stuff off screen.

IMO, the Japanese people have a very conflicted view of religion. A short version of it is that unlike other countries around the world, proselytization only got so far over there, in a country that has traditionally vacillated between polytheism and a version of monotheism(The emperor is "literally" God). There is plenty of info to back up my claims. Feel free to research if you wish.

All that boring stuff leads to many writers over there embracing portions of christianity and not the entire whole. Even the people that do have difficulty with proselytization, a core tenet of the vast majority of Christian works. So regardless of the mangakas personal faiths and belief systems, it would actually be both brave and unusual for any mangaka to outright put their faith out there in black and white.

While I am currently free of the shackles of religion, pentacostal christianity was a major part of roughly 80% of my life. Becoming saved, abstinence, and a lot of other boring stuff. I was supposed to become a pastor in the past and always engaged in my "faith" from a rational and logical perspective, buttressed by a buttload of historical information.

Taking the concept of religion and putting it to the side, many, many former and current soldiers look to religion to "atone" for their "crimes" so that they can justify continuing to stay alive. S2 displayed the ideas very well, but specifically shied away from outright statements about how Thorfinn could move forward using religion. While I personally don't agree that Thorfinn was "wrong" considering both his circumstances as well as the times and situations that he's lived through, I'm not Thorfinn.

Just like in real life, if religion helps you sleep at night, get some into your life.

Last fun fact. The prevailing religions of the viking warriors basically said if you don't kill people and die honorably in battle, you will never get into "heaven" (Valhalla). S1 and S2 focused on these important ideas without dwelling on it in detail.
Jan 29, 6:07 PM
Apr 2023
Tigrrr111 said:

The carrying of crosses and bibles by some characters is not at all surprising. The introduction of Christianity to England and Scandinavia was one of the biggest historical events of the time period Vinland Saga takes place in. Many of the Scandinavian societies were becoming Christian, and it was arguably one of the major factors that led to the end of the Viking age, and the mass adoption of more civilized lifestyles by many Vikings.
Jan 29, 7:23 PM
Dec 2022
It’s my own personal headcanon that Thorfinn did convert to Christianity privately at some point in the story. But either way, as a Christian me and my Christian friends thoroughly enjoyed the depiction of scripture and Christian values throughout S2, whether it was intentional or not. It truly brings joy to my heart to see how Thorfinn and “Vinland Saga” have led many young people to Jesus as is evident in social media, and Thorfinn’s depiction of humbleness, recognizing the wrong that one has done, and the conviction he feels for his past actions all very accurately represent what it’s like to be a Christian.

WITHOUT SPOILERS: there’s a scene in the manga past where S2 leaves off in which Thorfinn helps someone out of a dangerous situation. They then ask Thorfinn why he went through the trouble of helping them when it would’ve been far easier and safer for him to leave. He replies something along the lines of “There was a man who spent his life killing people who had no quarrel with him. He was filled with hatred and anger. Compared to what that man has done, helping you is no trouble at all” To me this is a wonderful and heartfelt depiction of our duty as Christians. The Bible tells us that since we have been forgiven when we didn’t deserve it, we must forgive others even if we think they don’t deserve it. We must love because Christ first loved us.

If anyone has any questions about Christianity or other instances where you think Thorfinn embodies what it means to follow Jesus, please share them with me. God bless
Jan 29, 8:04 PM

Oct 2020
Tigrrr111 said:

All those themes you mentioned seems like from a peaceful religion like Buddhism or something. But then again,I don't really know much about Christianity's themes so I might be wrong.
Jan 29, 8:17 PM
Sep 2022
Tigrrr111 said:

Overall, I think Vinland is very good at presenting some beliefs and signs of a Christian (love all people and your enemies, hospitality, unwavering hope, turning from sins, etc) to a broad audience. One episode even had a passage from Ecclesiastes, a book of the Old Testament, written by King Solomon, on seeking meaning in life. I believe this particular passage spoke about the joys and blessing of hard work.
However, there are a lot of issues with the way Christianity is perceived or twisted by some characters in the story. For example, love is viewed by King Canute as something that is corrupted in men and can never be truly reached, and for this reason, he rebels against God and promises to give to lowly men that which God has restrained from them. While this disagrees with the Bible (the greatest authority in Christianity), it is not wrong for the author to create this character, but it is important to note that King Canute is in no way a Christian and does not reflect Christian beliefs.
Thorfinn is such an incredibly loved character, in my opinion, for his growth and turning from past sins, essentially forgiving himself. While it is a stretch to say that Thorfinn is a Christian, it is not impossible, as being a Christian is EVIDENCED, not attained, by good works and a process of becoming more like Christ (displaying love, “turning his left cheek” to the assault instead of fighting back, and even the embodiment of a “true warrior”).
Lastly, the idea of a true warrior is very Christian. Examples would be not taking up the sword and instead loving the enemy and seeking peace and sacrificing oneself to save another.
Ill end with a passage from Romans, and might you tie one of the largest themes of Vinland Saga to a Christian truth:
“For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
Romans 5:7,8
Jan 29, 8:23 PM
Sep 2022
Tangerine7225 said:
It’s my own personal headcanon that Thorfinn did convert to Christianity privately at some point in the story. But either way, as a Christian me and my Christian friends thoroughly enjoyed the depiction of scripture and Christian values throughout S2, whether it was intentional or not. It truly brings joy to my heart to see how Thorfinn and “Vinland Saga” have led many young people to Jesus as is evident in social media, and Thorfinn’s depiction of humbleness, recognizing the wrong that one has done, and the conviction he feels for his past actions all very accurately represent what it’s like to be a Christian.

WITHOUT SPOILERS: there’s a scene in the manga past where S2 leaves off in which Thorfinn helps someone out of a dangerous situation. They then ask Thorfinn why he went through the trouble of helping them when it would’ve been far easier and safer for him to leave. He replies something along the lines of “There was a man who spent his life killing people who had no quarrel with him. He was filled with hatred and anger. Compared to what that man has done, helping you is no trouble at all” To me this is a wonderful and heartfelt depiction of our duty as Christians. The Bible tells us that since we have been forgiven when we didn’t deserve it, we must forgive others even if we think they don’t deserve it. We must love because Christ first loved us.

If anyone has any questions about Christianity or other instances where you think Thorfinn embodies what it means to follow Jesus, please share them with me. God bless

I as well would like to believe that Thorfinn is a Christian, regardless of what is shared. In the end, it is a work of fiction, but we can hope that such a character would find hope and freedom in Christ alone.
Jan 29, 8:26 PM
Mar 2021
MFDOOMED said:
Traditionally, christian media is only seriously embraced by the community when the ideals are firmly stated in the story. A couple people have gotten some acclaim by using "christian-lite" themes, but they never get the respect of a "proud, cross waving christian" media creator. See JRR Tolkien. He may well have created a successful universe respected by people across the world in many languages, but I personally know many christians that consider his works demonic.

Ultimately, any religion, in this case specifically Christianity, is subjective and each individual hand picks which part of the Bible they are going to choose to follow. In that sense, Thorfinn is a "Christian." If you go by the whole accept Jesus into your heart as your lord and savior deal, then he's not. Tho theoretically, he could have done all that stuff off screen.

IMO, the Japanese people have a very conflicted view of religion. A short version of it is that unlike other countries around the world, proselytization only got so far over there, in a country that has traditionally vacillated between polytheism and a version of monotheism(The emperor is "literally" God). There is plenty of info to back up my claims. Feel free to research if you wish.

All that boring stuff leads to many writers over there embracing portions of christianity and not the entire whole. Even the people that do have difficulty with proselytization, a core tenet of the vast majority of Christian works. So regardless of the mangakas personal faiths and belief systems, it would actually be both brave and unusual for any mangaka to outright put their faith out there in black and white.

While I am currently free of the shackles of religion, pentacostal christianity was a major part of roughly 80% of my life. Becoming saved, abstinence, and a lot of other boring stuff. I was supposed to become a pastor in the past and always engaged in my "faith" from a rational and logical perspective, buttressed by a buttload of historical information.

Taking the concept of religion and putting it to the side, many, many former and current soldiers look to religion to "atone" for their "crimes" so that they can justify continuing to stay alive. S2 displayed the ideas very well, but specifically shied away from outright statements about how Thorfinn could move forward using religion. While I personally don't agree that Thorfinn was "wrong" considering both his circumstances as well as the times and situations that he's lived through, I'm not Thorfinn.

Just like in real life, if religion helps you sleep at night, get some into your life.

Last fun fact. The prevailing religions of the viking warriors basically said if you don't kill people and die honorably in battle, you will never get into "heaven" (Valhalla). S1 and S2 focused on these important ideas without dwelling on it in detail.

Idk, it’s 11 pm so I’m not gonna respond to the whole thing, just a lil comment

I know that “boring” is an extremely subjective term, it’s basically inherent in the word. But your use of it is basically for dismissive purposes, which I just find to be a bit narrow minded. I personally love learning about religions, as I find how they are created and how people convert to be extremely fascinating, despite me having no religion. All I’m trying to say is probably don’t dismiss shit that’s quite complicated, but ultimately you do you
Jan 29, 8:29 PM
Aug 2021
To me, it represents the term "Humanism" more than any religious ideology. Even though Abrahamic religions have their good sides, at the same time it can't be denied that they even escalated slavery and wars throughout history, not to mention centuries of so-called holy wars.

Even in our history, the real North Sea Emperor 'Cnut the Great' was a devout Christian and it didn't stop him from conquering. While Thorfinn felt guilt for all the things he had done, it wasn't because he suddenly heard about salvation.

Slavery was abolished just a couple of centuries ago and was done from the point of view of humanism, not any religion. But war is still the unpleasant reality of the world. I am not blaming it all on religion, but at the same time, it couldn't bring harmony to the world even after existing for thousands of years.

The story of “Vinland Saga“ was written following the historical realities of that time and I think it's a great thing about the story. I think we're not doing justice to the narrative of Vinland Saga if we say the story has similarities with any religion.
Jan 29, 9:44 PM
Mar 2021
The_Weekly_Jay said:
Tigrrr111 said:

I don’t know if it’s intentional or not either, but it’s pretty accurate, historically speaking. The likelihood of Thorfinn running into someone who was Christian was bound to happen with how prevalent Christianity was, geographically, in that part of the world.

As a Christian, I appreciate this season of Vinland Saga’s discussion around morality, values, humanity, atonement, and redemption. Funny enough, this topic was something I was thinking about the other day—with that scene of Thorfinn listening to Snake reading the Bible to Sverkel. I would like to think that at that moment, Thorfinn decided to follow the faith. However, going off what was presented, I don’t think he’s a Christian. Rather, he respects and appreciates what he heard during those times he eavesdropped and even adopted some of the principles into his own way of thinking.

Einar even said that Thorfinn wasn’t Christian, but he liked listening to the stories.

Historically speaking I don’t think bible wasn’t actually translated from Latin at the time (pre reformation) so I would have thought it not as likely as you’d think.
Jan 30, 3:34 AM
Jan 2018
Reply to Archdruidman
MFDOOMED said:

Idk, it’s 11 pm so I’m not gonna respond to the whole thing, just a lil comment

I know that “boring” is an extremely subjective term, it’s basically inherent in the word. But your use of it is basically for dismissive purposes, which I just find to be a bit narrow minded. I personally love learning about religions, as I find how they are created and how people convert to be extremely fascinating, despite me having no religion. All I’m trying to say is probably don’t dismiss shit that’s quite complicated, but ultimately you do you
@Archdruidman I don't find it boring. I find it fascinating. I still periodically learn random things about different religions. Calling research and info boring is a solid coping mechanism I use to get people to pay attention when I talk about things most people find boring. It generally works pretty well with the masses. Spikes their lizard brain.

Dismissive purposes would be me using lower case to spell out christianity. That was on purpose because I don't respect religion. I gave it too much power in the past so I use lower case as a petty way to show that religion only has the power that you give it. At least for each individual person.
Jan 31, 1:51 PM
Jul 2023
Speaking from a christian perspective here.
A lot of the stuff covered here was seen thorough the perspective of Orthodox Catholics, some parts of the bible were misunderstood by the characters. However, their questioning of the meaning of love brought up a deep part of the bible that is very rarely talked about. I think that what Canute did was done from a limited understanding of the bible but overall, it brought some unique and interesting points to the topic of religion. Very happy to see an anime do this with a neutral stance.
Feb 2, 12:50 AM
Dec 2021
ummm....sorry but Christians shouldn't be watching a show like this! There's violence. Christians are not allowed to watch shows like that. It goes against the religion!
Feb 20, 3:20 AM
Jan 2022
If you noticed well enough, there were a lot of Christian symbolism and themes in Season 1 too. Season 2 is more about the road of redemption. Although I am not Christian but I do like going the extra mile of reading and correlating references and Vinland Saga Season 2 indeed has more Christian symbolism and themes. But it never sells it as a religious cult or belief, it tells the themes in philosophical manners that manage to seperate faith with facts. It is obviously a fact that peace is the strongest negotiator. It takes the depth from Christianity and instead of being like "Christ is the only way", it elaborates a philosophy apart from relegion. This way it defines life much more critically and finely.
Mar 21, 9:39 PM

Jan 2018
Many Viking stories tend to have Christian themes, often with the main character being baptized but not truly accepting it as the true god in the end.
I wouldn't say this is a religious show at all, but its themes line with religion so people could interpret it that way even if it's wrong.

More topics from this board

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Yesterday

29 by T2uwu »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

486 by dhell26 »»
Apr 26, 9:00 PM

» Would u like this?

DerpySven - Apr 21

26 by Spoopy69 »»
Apr 24, 2:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2023

374 by flyswatter »»
Apr 21, 1:55 PM

» About Ketil...

th3sleeper - Apr 20

6 by BipulGamer07 »»
Apr 20, 5:15 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.