Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 22, 3:28 PM

Sep 2021
I am looking for more quality animes like Vinland Saga, Attack on titans or death note. But it feels like the range of good series in the anime/manga world is extremely short. I feel like I don't like animes anymore because most suck, are not very deep or even tire me because they're just too "energetic" and "hyperactive", I even started to interest myself into classic litterature for that reason, and I really do enjoy reading it, but it's still never as pleasing as watching a good, dubbed, animated series, it talks more directly to the heart and it's so much more entertaining.... can anyone recommand me real classics that are not to miss, like I don't know fullmetal alchemist? Don't hesitate to check my list btw
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 22, 3:40 PM
Nov 2023
Hello,
I recommend Monster, Ping Pong the Animation, and Satoshi Kon’s filmography. Was also going to recommend Mushishi but saw you already favorited it. I hope this helps!!
Jan 22, 3:40 PM
Nov 2023
Oh, and also the movie Grave of the Fireflies 👍🏻
Jan 22, 3:53 PM
Jul 2023
Honestly I loved Devilman Crybaby but I would look into it first
There’s a hidden gem called Mushi Shi, considering what you’re into I think you’d like it.
Jan 22, 3:54 PM
Jul 2023
I think you’d like a hidden gem called Mushi Shi
Jan 22, 4:15 PM
Apr 2021
i think you might enjoy Akira, Cowboy Bebop and Perfect Blue
Jan 22, 5:00 PM
Feb 2022
Here are some recommendations if you haven’t checked them out already: violet evergarden, code geass, ergo proxy, monster and maybe evangelion
Jan 22, 5:24 PM
Jul 2023
FloRathalos said:
I am looking for more quality animes like Vinland Saga, Attack on titans or death note. But it feels like the range of good series in the anime/manga world is extremely short. I feel like I don't like animes anymore because most suck, are not very deep or even tire me because they're just too "energetic" and "hyperactive", I even started to interest myself into classic litterature for that reason, and I really do enjoy reading it, but it's still never as pleasing as watching a good, dubbed, animated series, it talks more directly to the heart and it's so much more entertaining.... can anyone recommand me real classics that are not to miss, like I don't know fullmetal alchemist? Don't hesitate to check my list btw

Everything you just described seems like you’d love an anime called Kino no Tabi (2003). It’s about a traveler and a motorcycle who explore different countries and each episode deals with a philosophical and political topic. It’s strangely calming. It’s one of my favorite media ever, make sure to watch the 2003 version.
Jan 22, 5:27 PM

Sep 2021
Reply to daxs4
Here are some recommendations if you haven’t checked them out already: violet evergarden, code geass, ergo proxy, monster and maybe evangelion
@daxs4 yeah I should definintely start violet and monster, I didn't know what is ergo proxy I'll look about it
Jan 22, 5:28 PM
Mar 2021
FloRathalos said:

Sousou no Frieren is on your watching list but has 0 eps watched. If you haven't started it yet, I'd highly suggest it as it fits what you're asking for perfectly. the pacing is slow and uses the intricacy of the world and its characters to keep your attention.

I wouldn't say it deserves #1 anime of all time but it for sure does more so than FmaB in my opinion.
Jan 22, 5:37 PM
Mar 2023
watch legend of the Galactic heroes It is an amazing series
Jan 22, 5:38 PM
Mar 2023
watch legend of the Galactic heroes It is an amazing series
Jan 22, 6:37 PM
Nov 2022
Anything made by Naoki Urasawa is absolutely a masterpiece (Monster, Pluto, 20th Centurh Boys, Billy Bat) I would recommend the Pluto anime as your first of his bc it’s his shortest and easiest to get into and then if you love it after that you have to watch Monster.
Other than that my other favorite anime are Land of the lustrous and Clannad after story, and one that I’ve started recently and have been loving is March comes in like a lion.

20th Century Boys is also my favorite manga of all time so if your in the mood for a manga please read it it’s incredible 🙏
Jan 22, 7:26 PM
Jan 2022
You might like Steins Gate. I think think the story is mediocre af but one mans dumpster can be another mans treasure.
RipperdocJan 22, 7:49 PM
Jan 22, 7:46 PM
Feb 2020
check out Samurai Champloo
Jan 22, 8:01 PM
Sep 2012
Monster , code geass , steins gate has a super huge payoff if you can tolerate the slow start and of course full metal alchemist brotherhood and hunter x hunter (2011) version
Jan 22, 8:02 PM
Sep 2012
Monster , code geass , steins gate has a super huge payoff if you can tolerate the slow start and of course full metal alchemist brotherhood and hunter x hunter (2011) version
Jan 22, 8:08 PM
Apr 2022
maybe something like hajjime no ippo, monster, Nana or maybe Natsume book of friends.
If you have the time I would really recommend Hajjime no ippo it's incredible.
SOINDS OF EVERYTHING
Jan 22, 8:09 PM
Apr 2022
maybe mononoke if you want to watch something really wild.
SOINDS OF EVERYTHING
Jan 22, 9:56 PM
Feb 2021
Dilihimer said:
Hello,
I recommend Monster, Ping Pong the Animation, and Satoshi Kon’s filmography. Was also going to recommend Mushishi but saw you already favorited it. I hope this helps!!

I just finished monster today and I 100% agree
Jan 22, 10:12 PM
Aug 2023
FloRathalos said:

some people here have mentioned real bangers so I'd recommend them also plus adding mine:

Violet Evergarden
Frieren
monster
cowboy Bebop
samurai champloo
ergo proxy
Psycho pass
mushoku tensei
re:zero
heavenly delusions
bungou stray dogs
stein's gate
Akame ga kill and akudama drive - short both but enjoyable
danmachi
vampire hunter d - movie
fate series
dororo
haikyu and Kuroko s basketball for sports
undead girl murder farce
parasite the maxim
3-gatsu no lion for slice of life
91 days
konosuba - best comedy
assassination classroom
ancient magus bride
Dr stone
Jan 22, 11:09 PM
Dec 2015
Mushoku Tensei is a very similar show to VS in the terms that S1 is very much an action adventure while season 2 is a character based story. Try it.
Jan 22, 11:13 PM

Oct 2020
jackbot32 said:
Anything made by Naoki Urasawa is absolutely a masterpiece (Monster, Pluto, 20th Centurh Boys, Billy Bat) I would recommend the Pluto anime as your first of his bc it’s his shortest and easiest to get into and then if you love it after that you have to watch Monster.
Other than that my other favorite anime are Land of the lustrous and Clannad after story, and one that I’ve started recently and have been loving is March comes in like a lion.

20th Century Boys is also my favorite manga of all time so if your in the mood for a manga please read it it’s incredible 🙏

You have a great taste my FRIEND.
Billi Bat is Naoki Urasawa's hidden gem.
I think you would also like the first Naoki Urasawa anime
It's not Monster, it's Master Keaton. It's really underrated.
Jan 23, 2:31 AM
Apr 2016
Standalone in the Patlabor series - Patlabor The Movie 2. Absolutely doesn't require to watch the more comedy centric rest.
Jin-Roh
Haibane Renmei
Ashita no Joe
Monster
Cowboy Bebop (half energetic/half not)
BrissingerJan 23, 3:03 AM
Jan 23, 2:42 AM
Mar 2023
FloRathalos said:

I have quite a few to recommend, starting with Space Dandy, it's energetic yes, but every episode is undoubtedly unique and has different art styles, it doesn't seem to have an overarching story, but it has.
If you like the Godfather or any mafia movie, you'll like 91 Days, I'd bet my testicles on that.
Golden Kamuy is a slow burner, and has some CGI issues in the first two seasons, but if you let the writers cook it'll turn out to be one of the best treasure hunts (in a historical setting).
If I'm not mistaken you didn't watch the Made in Abyss movie. I highly suggest you watch it. It's horrifyingly good.
And lastly, any Ghibli movie is a sight to see and music to your ears. They're amazing.
Jan 23, 6:55 AM

Sep 2021
Reply to secretshroom
FloRathalos said:

some people here have mentioned real bangers so I'd recommend them also plus adding mine:

Violet Evergarden
Frieren
monster
cowboy Bebop
samurai champloo
ergo proxy
Psycho pass
mushoku tensei
re:zero
heavenly delusions
bungou stray dogs
stein's gate
Akame ga kill and akudama drive - short both but enjoyable
danmachi
vampire hunter d - movie
fate series
dororo
haikyu and Kuroko s basketball for sports
undead girl murder farce
parasite the maxim
3-gatsu no lion for slice of life
91 days
konosuba - best comedy
assassination classroom
ancient magus bride
Dr stone
@secretshroom "re:zero" "bungo stray dogs" "akame ga kill" "konosuba" "assassination classroom" exactly the type of shit I said I was tired of, it's nonsense and so energetic it literally drains my energy
Jan 23, 6:56 AM

Sep 2021
Reply to kenji_buntarou
FloRathalos said:

I have quite a few to recommend, starting with Space Dandy, it's energetic yes, but every episode is undoubtedly unique and has different art styles, it doesn't seem to have an overarching story, but it has.
If you like the Godfather or any mafia movie, you'll like 91 Days, I'd bet my testicles on that.
Golden Kamuy is a slow burner, and has some CGI issues in the first two seasons, but if you let the writers cook it'll turn out to be one of the best treasure hunts (in a historical setting).
If I'm not mistaken you didn't watch the Made in Abyss movie. I highly suggest you watch it. It's horrifyingly good.
And lastly, any Ghibli movie is a sight to see and music to your ears. They're amazing.
@mori_ronin well it doesn't look like an annoying weeb stuff so I might try
Jan 23, 6:57 AM

Sep 2021
Reply to Hacker075
FloRathalos said:

Sousou no Frieren is on your watching list but has 0 eps watched. If you haven't started it yet, I'd highly suggest it as it fits what you're asking for perfectly. the pacing is slow and uses the intricacy of the world and its characters to keep your attention.

I wouldn't say it deserves #1 anime of all time but it for sure does more so than FmaB in my opinion.
@Hacker075 really? It looks like a dumb weeb anime with screaming lolis to me.
Jan 23, 7:06 AM
Jun 2021
fate zero
garden of sinners
Jan 23, 7:06 AM
Jun 2021
fate zero
garden of sinners
Jan 23, 7:07 AM
Jun 2021
fate zero
garden of sinners
Jan 23, 7:37 AM
Sep 2022
@FloRathalos I watch a wide range of anime, but for you my friend, as someone looking for heavy and meaningful plot without stereotypical anime tropes, here are my choice few:
Steins;Gate (this anime is purposely slow at the beginning, but it is 24 episodes and worth every minute)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (this is a very good DARK anime with a good plot, but it is slow at first)
Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood (I struggled with this series a lot at first. Just wait until you get past episode 40)
Jan 23, 7:55 AM
Oct 2020
Serial Experiments Lain
Jan 23, 7:56 AM
Oct 2020
Serial Experiments Lain
Jan 23, 8:03 AM
Apr 2022
FloRathalos said:

Rurouni Kenshin, Xxx Holic, Bellzebub, Noragami Aragoto, Dororo, Inuyashiki, Kotaro Lives Alone, Mirai Nikki, Rage of Bahamut, Balance : Unlimited, My Home Hero, Aphotecary Diaries, Frieren
Jan 23, 8:05 AM
Apr 2017
monster
space brothers
legend of the galactic heroes
mononoke (2007)
revolutionary girl utena
saraiya goyou
march comes in like a lion
neon genesis evangelion
berserk (1997)
baccano!
gankutsuou
Jan 23, 8:29 AM
Aug 2021
i knew mal threads were wild but this
"range of Good series in anime/manga world is short"
either you watch everything with the expectation of it being peak that's why you don't enjoy them or you just don't discover stuff
when you watch something do it for enjoying
Jan 23, 8:29 AM
Aug 2021
i knew mal threads were wild but this
"range of Good series in anime/manga world is short"
either you watch everything with the expectation of it being peak that's why you don't enjoy them or you just don't discover stuff
when you watch something do it for enjoying
Jan 23, 8:45 AM
Apr 2020
Banana Fish, Houseki no Kuni, Heike Monogatari, Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru, Fuse, ACCA 13
Jan 23, 8:58 AM
Mar 2021
FloRathalos said:
@Hacker075 really? It looks like a dumb weeb anime with screaming lolis to me.

What does? if you mean Frieren then I have no idea where you got that impression.
Jan 23, 11:31 AM
Oct 2023
Frieren Beyond Journey's End is good choice may be
Jan 23, 2:42 PM
Oct 2023
watch Ashita no Joe
Jan 23, 9:31 PM
May 2021
not the same genre but check out any work by naoki urasawa
Jan 24, 2:06 AM
Feb 2022
GANTZ

Evangelion

Devilman crybaby
Feb 2022
GANTZ

Evangelion

Devilman crybaby

Trigun
Feb 2022
GANTZ

Evangelion

Devilman crybaby

Trigun
Jan 24, 2:12 AM
Feb 2022
Gantz
Parasyte the Maximum
Steinsgate
Trigun
Devilman crybaby
Jan 24, 4:42 AM
Mar 2021
FloRathalos said:

many will suggest monster

but I will recommend watching Pluto first then monster ( both may not seem that interesting in the beginning but gets really good )

if you won't enjoy Pluto you won't like monster either ( most probably) and also Pluto is shorter
Jan 24, 6:55 PM
May 2022
Fullmetal Alchemist (original), Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and betrayal (an OVA), maybe Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Psycho Pass? My mind also goes to historical or fantasy stuff like Heike Story and the 90s Berserk series, but I’m not sure how much I’d call them SIMILAR to Vinland Saga—I just think they’re all occasionally quite meditative and tonally mature.
Jan 25, 7:59 AM
Jun 2021
Don’t know if they’re counted as classics but
Dorohedoro and
Death Parade
Both only have 1 season but both are highly watchable, excellent animes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2023

138 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » we getting that award fr ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 23

53 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2023

370 by ebobota »»
May 10, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

488 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:09 AM

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Apr 27

45 by LargeSkittle »»
May 6, 10:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.