Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 8, 2023 9:55 AM
Aug 2022
Only for those who have watched all of s2 or atleast two thirds of it
Short version
Who's the better antagonist Canute or Askeladd? For me it's Canute. Said my reasons down below
Honestly, they are both 10 outta 10 antagonists. For me Askeladd is more entertaining to watch and Canute is better written. I mean ep 22 and 23 of this anime gotta be some of the best anime episodes of all time simply because of this man and his relationship with Thorfinn. And his ideals man. As someone who's Christian, I always wondered how people of that time would view God or whether and not sure if they would question God and his decisions. This almighty benevolent being, why hasn't he come to stop this bloodshed, war, famine and hatred. Well Canute is a pretty interesting viewpoint and while I don't agree with him, I can understand where he's coming from. On the other hand, Askelaad is, well a flipping Chad and amazing. He's a guy who does bad things because of the world he lives in. Both him and Canute want to escape. Except Askeladd wants Wales to escape from the cycle of war and hatred and Canute wants his people to escape from that cycle. I don't fully understand Askelaad's character though while I pretty sure I can understand Canute. So I lean more to Canute being the better antagonist. Who do you guys think it is??
HeSaidAriseSep 8, 2023 10:12 AM
Sep 8, 2023 9:59 AM
Jan 2021
Askeladd carries every scene he is in. He was also more important than Canute for Thorfins development, so Askeladd destroys for me
Sep 8, 2023 10:03 AM
Aug 2022
Fakorrfuck said:
Who the hell is Canute

Bro if you haven't watched s2 then don't bother
Sep 8, 2023 10:08 AM
Apr 2022
I liked askeladd more but askeladd isn’t really an antagonist for the most part. He acts more as a mentor.
Sep 8, 2023 10:10 AM

Jul 2022
Rip_Lazarus said:
Short version
Who's the better antagonist Canute or Askeladd? For me it's Canute. Said my reasons down below
Honestly, they are both 10 outta 10 antagonists. For me Askeladd is more entertaining to watch and Canute is better written. I mean ep 22 and 23 of this anime gotta be some of the best anime episodes of all time simply because of this man and his relationship with Thorfinn. And his ideals man. As someone who's Christian, I always wondered how people of that time would view God or whether and not they would question God himself. Well Canute is a pretty interesting viewpoint and while I don't agree with him, I can understand where he's coming from. On the other hand, Askelaad is, well a flipping Chad and amazing. He's a guy who does bad things because of the world he lives in. Both him and Canute want to escape. Except Askeladd wants Wales to escape from the cycle of war and hatred and Canute wants his people to escape from that cycle. I don't fully understand Askelaad's character though while I pretty sure I can understand Canute. So I lean more to Canute being the better antagonist. Who do you guys think it is??

I liked your point of view, in my opinion I prefer Askeladd because he was more impactful not only in the anime/manga but also for Thorfinn, he's also goated ngl
Sep 8, 2023 10:30 AM

Apr 2021
ishinashi423 said:
askellad solos his entire existence

You didn't even spell his name correctly đź’€
We'Ve StEpPeD iNtO a WaR wItH tHe CaBaL oN mArS
Sep 8, 2023 10:52 AM

Jul 2021
Askeladd. He’s one of my favourite characters in the show. Canutes good as well but I’ve never really liked him.

Sep 8, 2023 10:58 AM
Oct 2019
Askeladd for real but Knut (or Canute whatever) is cool too
Sep 8, 2023 11:26 AM
Jun 2021
Askeladd absolutely. Canute is interesting, but not as enthralling as Askeladd
Sep 8, 2023 11:31 AM

Apr 2020
Askeladd hits hard, cause of the whole revenge thing that turns into love in the End. That's so bittersweet. I liked that character dynamic alot. Ultimately tho...we get to know and kinda LIKE Askeladd, at the end of season 1. The charismatic rogue, turning father figure....I can't HATE him.

Canute is much more extreme, unrelateable and hateable. He want's to conquer everyone, kill everyone he needs to kill to create his Utopia....Even if he has likeable traits and this past with our Mc...I think Canute beeing kinda like the polar opposite of Thorfinn, at this point, both in status and conviction makes for a better story and a better antagonist now.
Merve2LoveSep 8, 2023 11:38 AM
Sep 8, 2023 11:35 AM
Aug 2022
Merve2Love said:
Askeladd hits hard, cause of the whole revenge thing that turns into love in the End. That's so bittersweet. I liked that character dynamic alot. Ultimately tho...we get to know and kinda LIKE Askeladd, at the end of season 1. The charismatic rogue, turning father figure....I can't HATE him.

I think Canute beeing kinda like the polar opposite of Thorfinn, at this point, both in status and conviction makes for a better story and a better antagonist now.

agreed. While askeladd is essential to thorfinns growth, Canute does the same. Having similar ideas but different means of carrying it out due to different experiences. It's the perfect use of contrast and parallels(if that even is a sentence that makes sense)
I can see why people think askeladd is a better antagonist overall since he is so essential to thorfinns growth as well as being an amazing character in his own right. Seen some comments that made me understand him better. I still think Canute is better though. Probably because eps 21 22 and 23 are still fresh in my mind.
Sep 8, 2023 12:21 PM
Jul 2020
Rip_Lazarus said:
Short version
Honestly, they are both 10 outta 10 antagonists. For me Askeladd is more entertaining to watch and Canute is better written. I mean ep 22 and 23 of this anime gotta be some of the best anime episodes of all time simply because of this man and his relationship with Thorfinn. And his ideals man. As someone who's Christian, I always wondered how people of that time would view God or whether and not sure if they would question God and his decisions. This almighty benevolent being, why hasn't he come to stop this bloodshed, war, famine and hatred. Well Canute is a pretty interesting viewpoint and while I don't agree with him, I can understand where he's coming from. On the other hand, Askelaad is, well a flipping Chad and amazing. He's a guy who does bad things because of the world he lives in. Both him and Canute want to escape. Except Askeladd wants Wales to escape from the cycle of war and hatred and Canute wants his people to escape from that cycle. I don't fully understand Askelaad's character though while I pretty sure I can understand Canute. So I lean more to Canute being the better antagonist. Who do you guys think it is??

Askeladd for me because he had more impact and was in more of first season and involved more than canute

Sep 8, 2023 1:37 PM

Apr 2017
Askeladd by a mile. One of the best written characters I've ever seen.

Canute was interesting in the initial buildup of S2 until he (literally) disappeared into nothing.
Sep 8, 2023 8:16 PM
May 2021
I’m not as big an Askellad fan as most, but he’s way better than Canute. Canute S1’s “realization” is dumb and follows no Christian logic whatsoever. I wanted to reach through the screen and shake him. What they do with it S2 is awesome, but being built on such shaky ground weakens his position here.
YO!
Sep 9, 2023 5:47 PM
Nov 2022
Askeladd, one of the greatest characters of all time
Oct 25, 2023 4:48 AM
Feb 2022
Canute is great but Askeladd is arguably my favorite character in the series.

More topics from this board

Poll: » we getting that award fr ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 23

53 by FruitPunchBaka »»
Yesterday, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2023

370 by ebobota »»
May 10, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

488 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:09 AM

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Apr 27

45 by LargeSkittle »»
May 6, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2023

284 by OrganikPatates »»
Apr 30, 6:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.