Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 1, 2016 2:15 PM

Dec 2015
How is it that Anime Fans don't read manga very much?

I've heard from people that some manga are so much better than their Anime counterparts. Because, whenever a manga gets an anime adaptation, most of them tend to follow it at first, but they derail from it to a point where it has little to do with the source material.

So why do people like to watch anime more than read manga, even if they never heard that the manga came first before the anime?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 1, 2016 2:18 PM

Jun 2015
Anime has color.

Anime has sound.

Anime has movement.
Jan 1, 2016 2:19 PM

Sep 2015
Because seeing Ur Characters Move is a really awesome thing .
because it is colorful and refreshing to the eye rather than the dull black and white in manga
people with less imagination enjoy anime a lot more than manga
and a lot of other reasons....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2016 2:20 PM

Jun 2015
Why do people prefer watching TV over reading a book? Same thing...
Jan 1, 2016 2:22 PM

Jun 2012
Watching anime is far easier than reading manga as it doesn't require as much attention and is far more accessible than reading manga. You get an anime uploaded with subs only a few hours after it finishes airing, while a manga goes on for months at a time without getting any scanlations. Sometimes I think that I must be a masochist for reading more manga than I watch anime.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 1, 2016 2:24 PM

Feb 2015
it depends where you are. america, which is practically the mother of the invention of the TV, most likely has more watchers than readers.

in japan, paper for manga is used more than toilet essentials.
Jan 1, 2016 2:24 PM

Oct 2013
I prefer anime over manga, but manga has a lot more diversity and things like censorship isn't that bad compare to anime. So there are a lot of advantage that a manga has over anime. But it is easy to see why a lot of people prefer anime.
Jan 1, 2016 2:28 PM

Jul 2015
Manga is better than anime .

Manga > Anime > LNs
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 1, 2016 2:31 PM

Sep 2015
There's a few reasons why people would prefer anime over manga:

• Lots of people don't like reading / would prefer not to. Books, novels and the like have always been a more niche source of entertainment than the TV has. This trend stays true for anime and manga.

• Some genres benefit greatly from being animated; most action anime, for example, works a lot better when you can actually show what is happening. For a lot of manga fight scenes, if the mangaka goes into too much detail it can end up making the panels look too confusing.
    If they make sure to keep it simple and easier to follow then the fight scenes themselves suffer a little because the mangaka is limited on what they can do.

• It's just easier to watch a screen rather than read a book.

• In my experience, finding uploaded anime of a decent quality is a lot easier than finding uploaded manga of a decent quality. This is especially true where subs and translations are concerned. I've always found more translation errors in manga than anime.

• Having sound is great, simply put. When you have those seiyuus who do an exemplary job of voicing the characters it really manages to bring them to life, more so than a manga ever could.

• Manga can often take much longer to be translated at all, especially for the physical publications.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 1, 2016 2:32 PM

Nov 2008
I have shelves of manga. Shoujo manga is my bread and butter; if we get an adaption, it's either unfinished, low budget....or (very rarely) just as good.

But I enjoy shounen series more in anime form, most of the time. There are exceptions.

Jan 1, 2016 2:33 PM

Oct 2012
Manga has faster pacing which is very good for many types of stories.

But anime has voices, music, color, movement.

So I would say that anime is the superior medium.

However it is a lot more expensive to create an anime than to create a manga.
Which is why manga tend to have more creative freedom than anime.
And there is a lot more manga out there than anime so more options to choose from.
Jan 1, 2016 2:33 PM

Jan 2016
Holybaptiser said:
Watching anime is far easier than reading manga as it doesn't require as much attention and is far more accessible than reading manga. You get an anime uploaded with subs only a few hours after it finishes airing, while a manga goes on for months at a time without getting any scanlations. Sometimes I think that I must be a masochist for reading more manga than I watch anime.

you're right. Watching anime is simply easier than reading the manga whether online or in published form. The chapters will take some time to be translated and are released once a week/month. Watching anime is simply more convinient.
Jan 1, 2016 2:37 PM

Apr 2013
Anime is Manga with colour, sound and animation. If you prefer Manga over Anime (disregarding story-related reasons) you are mentally unwell.
Jan 1, 2016 2:38 PM

Mar 2015
Holybaptiser said:
Watching anime is far easier than reading manga as it doesn't require as much attention and is far more accessible than reading manga.

Sometimes I prefer the manga, sometimes I prefer the anime because sometimes in the anime, a lot of things from the manga are left out so when I watch the anime it feels like the important scenes are lacking details. In anime, you also get to see badass animated fight scenes, but most of the time when I read the manga it feels like it's animated in my head.... .......... so actually I'm kinda in-between.

I don't know how to explain
silvers0ulJan 1, 2016 2:40 PM
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Jan 1, 2016 2:40 PM

Jul 2015
HasoLtd said:
Anime is Manga with colour, sound and animation. If you prefer Manga over Anime (disregarding story-related reasons) you are mentally unwell.

I'm sorry what ???????

Just so you know many people enjoy reading .Not to mention that good art is easier to accomplish in manga than in anime .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 1, 2016 2:41 PM

Jun 2012
This thread made me walk over to my bookshelf and look at my manga collection. Now I have this bittersweet feeling about spending so much money on hard copies of stories I love. Spending over 400 dollars just on my Higurashi collection compared to 50 dollars for the anime.

Jan 1, 2016 2:42 PM

Jan 2013
Both have pros and oncs.

Pros of anime are colour, music, movement and potential delivery, but it can consume up a lot of time.

Mangas pros are that it can be read pretty quickly, and its usually better material than the adaptation. But it lacks what anime' has
Jan 1, 2016 2:44 PM

Sep 2015
Holybaptiser said:
This thread made me walk over to my bookshelf and look at my manga collection. Now I have this bittersweet feeling about spending so much money on hard copies of stories I love. Spending over 400 dollars just on my Higurashi collection compared to 50 dollars for the anime.

Dunno about you but I've always loved hard copies of books as opposed to DVDs. There's just something really satisfying about having the pages themselves.
Jan 1, 2016 2:47 PM
Jun 2012
Manga requires you to do work to imagine its world and give the characters voices, anime does all the heavy lifting for you. It's the same reason why many people prefer movies over books, we are primarily audio/visual creatures in real life and movies/animation simulate our preferred method of stimulus. Those who are gifted with good minds and imaginations are often the minority because it stresses the brain to digest information and people want to spend the least energy.

Simply biological costs and intelligence to process information is the barrier and its easier to get emotional stimulation from engineered voice acting and artists who can activate the human emotional system better than still images with text and no audio.
Jan 1, 2016 2:48 PM

Apr 2013
EvilDragon16 said:
HasoLtd said:

I'm sorry what ???????

Just so you know many people enjoy reading .Not to mention that good art is easier to accomplish in manga than in anime .
You're all mentally unwell. All of you.
Jan 1, 2016 2:49 PM

Dec 2015
I have seen more anime, but the manga I have read have been better with the overall writing. Preference wise? Idk why people prefer it other than because of the animation and sound.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jan 1, 2016 2:49 PM

Jun 2012
ItsMaz said:
Holybaptiser said:

Dunno about you but I've always loved hard copies of books as opposed to DVDs. There's just something really satisfying about having the pages themselves.
So do I. I go to Indigo (a bookstore) and spend tons of money every month on new books. I love having physical copies of books/graphic novels/manga. There is such a novelty to it that it's so hard to explain. There is also something far more immersing about holding a book while you're reading it than just staring at text on a monitor. If I didn't love owning them, I certainly wouldn't be spending so much money on them - it's almost like an addiction.

Jan 1, 2016 2:50 PM
Jan 2013
This is the first time I've seen a thread that puts manga over anime here.

Puts a tear on my eye even if it's somewhat a lost cause
gone bai bai
Jan 1, 2016 2:53 PM

Jan 2008
How come? Voices, music, sound, color, movement. Need I go on?
Jan 1, 2016 2:55 PM

Mar 2014
Manga combines my two favorite mediums (books and anime) but without the things I like from either of them. I want my pictures to move and have color and sound, and I want my books to use descriptive language rather than pictures. I can't get immersed in manga like I can with books or anime. My imagination goes wild when reading books, but not with manga.
merryfistmasJan 1, 2016 2:59 PM
Jan 1, 2016 2:55 PM
Mar 2014
95% of the time manga has a better plot and execute it's story better but in the end manga are just images with text, anime has sound/animation and therefore is usually more entertaining.
Jan 1, 2016 2:57 PM

Jan 2014
Slightly off topic but has anyone read a manga before watching its anime adaption and found the anime unsatisfactory compared to the manga?

I felt that the manga was better, but the feeling of not being able to enjoy the anime as much because of the subconscious comparisons I was making with the manga was something I wasn't quite pleased with in the end. I finally understood why people who read manga complained about adaptions so much.
OboronJan 1, 2016 2:58 PM

Jan 1, 2016 2:58 PM

May 2015
I can watch more anime than I can read manga. It takes me a while to read. An anime I can finish in a week; it's manga counterpart would take me twice as long.

Jan 1, 2016 2:59 PM

Nov 2013
"How come people prefer Anime over Manga"?

Because they haven't read Kingdom yet
Jan 1, 2016 2:59 PM

Jun 2012
Acheroh said:
Slightly off topic but has anyone read a manga before watching its anime adaption and found the anime unsatisfactory compared to the manga?

I felt that the manga was better, but the feeling of not being able to enjoy the anime as much because of the subconscious comparisons I was making with the manga was something I wasn't quite pleased with in the end.
All the time. Shit, every single season, I have read or am reading the manga of something that's getting an adaptation. I usually just drop the show if I feel like I'd be better of only reading the manga.

Edit - the manga that I have read for next season:
Ajin
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu.
Dagashi Kashi
Gate

Edit 2 - what I'm most excited for is Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu because it's an award winning work that hasn't been scanlated at all.That and how it's from a josei manga.
HolybaptiserJan 1, 2016 3:03 PM

Jan 1, 2016 3:02 PM

Aug 2014
Laniaka said:

But anime has voices, music, color, movement.

So I would say that anime is the superior medium.

However it is a lot more expensive to create an anime than to create a manga.
Which is why manga tend to have more creative freedom than anime.
And there is a lot more manga out there than anime so more options to choose from.

Pretty much this. Animes are usually more restricted in terms of budget compared to mangas, which results in parts of the original story being altered/cut out. But people still prefer anime, because they don't have to pay as much attention and it's more lively with music and moving pictures compared to mangas that are usually still and nothing to add to the atmosphere.
Jan 1, 2016 3:05 PM

Jan 2008
Acheroh said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Dude... that's a really funny question.

Yeah, all the damn time. Who the heck hasn't?

Mahou Sensei Negima
Rosario + Vampire
Sora No Otoshimono
Tokyo Ghoul
Dance In The Vampire Bund
Tsubasa Chronicles

Those are just off the top of my head.
Jan 1, 2016 3:09 PM

Jan 2015
Because it's easier to be entertained from Anime.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jan 1, 2016 3:25 PM

Dec 2015
silvers0ul said:

Sometimes I prefer the manga, sometimes I prefer the anime because sometimes in the anime, a lot of things from the manga are left out so when I watch the anime it feels like the important scenes are lacking details. In anime, you also get to see badass animated fight scenes, but most of the time when I read the manga it feels like it's animated in my head.... .......... so actually I'm kinda in-between.

I don't know how to explain

I think I understand you! I also like both of them differently, they both have strong sides and some weaker points. And I also kind of imagine the manga being animated, so I guess it's a matter of imagination really?

What I also like about manga, is that you can look at the page for as long as you want and take every little detail in. With anime I sometimes feel like I'm missing something important? I don't know if it's just me.. But at the same time manga has the perfect pace. Rather a fast pace, so typically you don't get bored. With some anime it can drag on a bit, which is a little annoying.
But anime has animation and sound etc, that's what makes it so great an irresistible.
I love both!
''One is enough, find someone completely unique'' -Yato
''You can't feel lonely if there's no one else around'' -Yamaken
''Because it's broken, it will never recover'' -Nanami
Jan 1, 2016 3:30 PM

Nov 2011
I really get sick of people saying that anime is the superior medium because it has sound, movement, and color. By this logic books are absolute shit.

Truth is in Japan Manga is more popular than anime in fact it's considered normal for adults to read manga but adults watching anime is considered weird.
Jan 1, 2016 3:34 PM

Oct 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
I really get sick of people saying that anime is the superior medium because it has sound, movement, and color. By this logic books are absolute shit.
But books often have extensive prose that both manga and anime lack.

And of course anime is not strictly better than manga since different types of works work better in different media. When I say anime is the superior medium it just means that in general I like its potential more than the potential of manga.

Waifu_Strangler said:
Truth is in Japan Manga is more popular than anime in fact it's considered normal for adults to read manga but adults watching anime is considered weird.
Truth is in the west it is considered normal for adults to watch tv shows about celebrities but adults watching anime is considered weird.
LaniakaJan 1, 2016 3:41 PM
Jan 1, 2016 3:35 PM

Sep 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:

I wouldn't say that people are saying it's the superior medium. It's just their preferred medium, for the aforementioned reasons.

Just as anime has its advantages over manga, manga has its own advantages over anime.
Jan 1, 2016 3:41 PM

Nov 2011
Laniaka said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
But books often have extensive prose that both manga and anime lack.

And of course anime is not strictly better than manga since different types of works work better in different media. When I say anime is the superior medium it just means that in general I like it more.

That's fine its just that wording that bugs me I've seen several people literally say anime is the superior medium when perhaps they mean it's just preferable to them. All I'm saying is both have their advantages over the other.

ItsMaz said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

I wouldn't say that people are saying it's the superior medium. It's just their preferred medium, for the aforementioned reasons.

Just as anime has its advantages over manga, manga has its own advantages over anime.

Preffering anime over manga is fine but I do quite often see people say anime is the superior medium though again they probably just mean in there opinion. But yes I agree both mediums have their own advantages some stories work better in one format than the other but I do feel most people on MAL are unfair to manga.
Jan 1, 2016 3:48 PM
Mar 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Preffering anime over manga is fine but I do quite often see people say anime is the superior medium though again they probably just mean in there opinion. But yes I agree both mediums have their own advantages some stories work better in one format than the other but I do feel most people on MAL are unfair to manga.

I'd say it's quite the opposite from what i have seen, most people find that the manga is the better medium stating that anime is just a way to publish the manga ( which is usually the case).
Jan 1, 2016 3:50 PM

Nov 2011
Lust said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

I'd say it's quite the opposite from what i have seen, most people find that the manga is the better medium stating that anime is just a way to publish the manga ( which is usually the case).

While that is true I don't see that opinion on MAL very often. Most seem to think anime having movement, sound, and color makes it superior.
Jan 1, 2016 3:56 PM

Oct 2012
AltoRoark99 said:
Anime has color.

Anime has sound.

Anime has movement.

That's it. I agree that most of the time manga has better art and storyline but I prefer anime as a medium because it is more entertaining.

P3B1G5 said:
"How come people prefer Anime over Manga"?

Because they haven't read Kingdom yet

Can't deny this one though.
Jan 1, 2016 3:57 PM

Aug 2012
AltoRoark99 said:
Anime has color.

Anime has sound.

Anime has movement.

More enjoyable, easier, entertaining most of the time.
Jan 1, 2016 3:59 PM

Nov 2011
Nomss said:
AltoRoark99 said:
Anime has color.

Anime has sound.

Anime has movement.

More enjoyable, easier, entertaining most of the time.

But only for those who lack imagination ;)
Jan 1, 2016 4:01 PM

Sep 2013
I enjoy reading a lot but prefer "real" books instead of manga/comics so I watch mostly anime and read manga only occasionally. But in general, people barely read anymore nowadays, which is pretty sad and probably the reason people prefer anime.
Jan 1, 2016 4:03 PM
May 2015
TomDay said:
it depends where you are. america, which is practically the mother of the invention of the TV, most likely has more watchers than readers.

I'm a North American (Canadian to be more specific) and none of my friends reads books. Hell, none of my co-workers even reads books. They hate it more than I do. Books are practically non-existent in North America. Why read if you have entertainments like Television? Why read for 2 weeks if you can watch the same material (if said material has a TV/Movie adaptation) for 2 and a half hours or less.

Jan 1, 2016 4:07 PM

Sep 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:

I suppose that's more from the way they state their opinion; people often put "This is better" when they mean to say "I prefer this".
MazJan 1, 2016 4:11 PM
Jan 1, 2016 4:09 PM

May 2015
Well some people prefer watching more than reading including myself :]
Jan 1, 2016 4:10 PM

Jun 2014
delija9091 said:
I enjoy reading a lot but prefer "real" books instead of manga/comics so I watch mostly anime and read manga only occasionally. But in general, people barely read anymore nowadays, which is pretty sad and probably the reason people prefer anime.

Which is weird because reading manga takes less time imo. As for me, I really love anime, the sound is obviously a huge factor but then again I listen to music while reading manga so... But in the end I don't know which one I like more. Lately I'm more into manga so I guess it depends on my mood. Also I don't understand the color argument in favor of anime, B&W is stunning, especially if the series has a great artstyle.

Laniaka said:

I'd say it depends on the author, I read the Kuroshitsuji manga & it definitely has pacing issues.
babymimiJan 1, 2016 4:19 PM

Jun 2013
AltoRoark99 said:
Anime has color.

Anime has sound.

Anime has movement.

This, pretty much. Manga is like a movie screenplay to me.
If you generalize, you're wrong.

Jun 2012
jc9622 said:
TomDay said:

I'm a North American (Canadian to be more specific) and none of my friends reads books. Hell, none of my co-workers even reads books. They hate it more than I do. Books are practically non-existent in North America. Why read if you have entertainments like Television? Why read for 2 weeks if you can watch the same material (if said material has a TV/Movie adaptation) for 2 and a half hours or less.
Although I understand your post to be rhetorical and being mostly loaded questions, describing why you like reading would be like describing why you like to eat a certain fruit. Regardless of whatever explanation someone gives, if you have a certain disposition on the matter, it would never convince you.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How much anime is too much

ST63LTH - 8 hours ago

37 by FanofAction »»
12 seconds ago

Poll: » How many hentai's you have watched? And which one's your favorite?

Anjumhossain - Oct 9, 2022

49 by Synkiiz »»
2 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3

707supremacist - 57 minutes ago

16 by 707supremacist »»
5 minutes ago

» Best brown haired girl?

Spunkert - Feb 2

25 by gh0ul69 »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you watch anime on Funimation???

DesuMaiden - 18 minutes ago

4 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.