Forum Settings
Forums

Director Hosoda Mamoru Criticizes the Recent Trend of TV Series-Derived Anime Movies

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 11, 2010 1:01 PM

May 2010
UrbanScythe said:
But i think sometimes recap movies are good i mean when they make lots of money on them then there is chance for another seasson.
At least thats what i think.
You make another season if, y'know, the actual series makes money. I'm not aware of a second season of anime being produced after the prior season slumped but the recap movie succeeded (has there ever been a property that's even produced a recap after a failed season, anyway?).

Hosoda seems neglectful of Kon -- and by extension, both he and Kon have become associated with Madhouse -- but his points are valid. Anime movies are largely extensions of property... and in a similar way, so are many anime adaptions, where you already have an established base (like, say, with light novels or visual novels).
Jul 11, 2010 3:36 AM

Apr 2009
seishi-sama said:
BigSimo said:
hasn't Kon Satoshi been successful at all? You'd hope so.

Shaoran said:
And there is also Makoto Shinkai!

The problem is that these two are working at their own pace...and Ghibli is working on a steady pace with at least one movie coming out every two years or so (not all of them are directed by Miyazaki himself though).
And, success-wise, both Satoshi Kon and Makoto Shinkai are ten times less successful than Miyazaki (even if both are actually much better directors imo).

I agree with that. MAkoto Shinkai and Satoshi Kon deserve ten thousand times more appreciation than they actually.

I think they're all on par with Miyazaki though.

The reason why people make lots of stupid TV-series based anime movies is because TV series are already super popular which promises a huge profit form the movie.

I have yet to see a GOOD movie based on the TV series. Naruto, Bleach, and other series-beased movies are TOTAL crap with an extremely weak plot, ridiculous lines and a more ridiculous way of presenting the whole thing. They totally forget that the movie has to convey an idea, has to excel in quality and leave a good trace in the people's memories.

Those who watch stuff like TV-derived anime movies have a poor taste, IMO. Though it's not "IMO", it's obvious...
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Aug 7, 2010 10:44 PM

May 2010
To all the people who say Makoto Shinkai and Satoshi Kon are on par with or even better than miyazaki, I say bah! I like both of them, especially Satoshi, but Miyazaki is really head and shoulders above them. Remember, Miyazaki created most of his movies without the help of a single computer. There's a reason he's known as god of animation!
“Money can't buy dere”
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

13 by VivavideoUser2x »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 12 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
7 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.