Forum Settings
Forums

Open Discussion review: Fate Stay Night- the anime that could have been king...nah, just kidding but it could have been alot better.

New
Jun 22, 2009 7:42 PM

Apr 2009
On the last weeks of May 2009, Cav9 had put Tainted Donut and myself on to watching Fate Stay Night. FSN is 24 episodes and is based off of a computer/ video game, after the success of the animated series they released a manga for FSN. The basic concept of FSN is every few years a secret war is fought for the Holy Grail, the Grail could grant a wish to the winner of the war. The war is fought by 7 people who are some what fluent in magic, these people become the masters of epic heroes. Epic heroes are heroes/ villians from the past/ future/ or fictional that fight by the side of their masters to obtain the power of the Holy Grail to also grant their wishes. This anime is in the same vain or somewhere in the middle of Aquarion Age and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Personally, while I did enjoy the epic heroes concept, some of the characters were sorely lacking personallity and some of the others were lacking a firm direction in the plot. There was almost a harem insident, but that was cleared up. To me, the animation was very slightly above standard and the battles were somewhat of a let down with most of them ending off camera. If you enjoy the thought of legendary heroes fighting each other than maybe this anime is for you. As for those of you who have watched this a special "SPOLIER" topic will be posted to help you finsh off or intergrate into the story with a mixture of information from the games and manga.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 23, 2009 6:53 AM

Apr 2007
Ah Fate/Stay Night. Where do I begin?

I guess I'll start with the pros. I like the first OP song.

Now onto the cons. Everything else.

Actually, I'm probably being too harsh. It's not the worst show I've ever seen but I have a breaking point where if a show annoys me or is just flat out boring I'll just end up nitpicking it to death. This one reached that point early on which is why number one on my list of gripes would be the characters. Specifically I'm talking about Shirou. That's never good for a main character to be the one I can't stand early on. He reminded me a bit of Arisu from Tweeny Witches. They're both highly idealistic characters always taking some moral high ground that just doesn't fly in the face of reality. cav9 mentioned several times while I was stuggling through it that he does indeed change as the series progresses but by that time, I had already pretty much given up and wrote the show off.

The story was mostly downs. The premise was there but I felt it lacked focus. Did we seriously need that Saber dating episode? As much as I didn't like Illya they could've replaced that ep. with some backstory on her since she became such a big deal later on.

I agree about the animation but I'd say the battles were more than somewhat of a letdown.

They should've just followed the Unlimited Blade Works scenario from the game. From what I've read there's enough twists and turns to make it actually interesting

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 29, 2009 5:03 AM

Apr 2007
Small bump

If anyone is interested, there's an ongoing project to translate the events prior to Fate/Stay Night. It's a set of prequel novels called Fate/Zero and can be found at http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Fate/Zero
tainteddonutJun 29, 2009 5:07 AM

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 29, 2009 8:25 AM
Jan 2009
Epic heroes only saving grace of this anime. I Love mythology so Epic heroes was interesting too me
cav9Jun 30, 2009 8:34 AM
Insane is doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting the outcome to change.
Lucky is doing so and it actually changing.
I'm not insane, I'm lucky.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime 360 2013 4th Year anniversary club Review (only 3 years late to be posted in 2013)

chaosemperor - Jan 3, 2016

0 by chaosemperor »»
Jan 3, 2016 8:19 AM

» ANIME 360: 3rd year anniversary special - The year in review.

chaosemperor - Jan 10, 2012

1 by tainteddonut »»
Jan 31, 2012 1:49 AM

» 2nd year anniversary of the Anime 360 viewing club.

chaosemperor - Jan 15, 2011

2 by Nira_kun »»
Mar 30, 2011 11:25 AM

» Know thy club members - 2010

chaosemperor - Jun 28, 2010

0 by chaosemperor »»
Jun 28, 2010 6:09 PM

Sticky: » Club homework - completed anime series

chaosemperor - Dec 28, 2009

0 by chaosemperor »»
Dec 28, 2009 11:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.