Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 28, 2009 2:19 PM

Jan 2008
For those who were unaware, MAL downscales pictures uploaded to clubs. On many occasions, I have found myself wanting a higher resolution version of a club picture, and I got tired of copy/pasting image URLs to IQDB. So I wrote a user script for GreaseMonkey that provides a "Look up on IQDB" link on club picture pages.

Installing the script:
  1. First, if using Firefox, install GreaseMonkey if you don't already have it installed. If you're using Chrome or a browser based on it (Chromium, SRWare Iron, Opera, etc.), install TamperMonkey.
  2. Click this link.
  3. Once the button is enabled, click Install. (Look through the source if you like, it doesn't do anything nefarious)
  4. Done!
Using the script:
  1. Go to the Edit Profile page.
  2. Look at the bottom of the General Settings section to find the preference that this script adds. This controls how the lookup occurs. Set it the way you want it to be.
  3. Scroll to the bottom and click Save Changes, the preference will be saved at this point.
  4. Now go to one of the clubs you're in and pick a picture.
  5. Across the top, next to the Back to Pictures link, you'll see a Look up on IQDB link. Click that.
  6. The IQDB lookup will now happen, and with any luck, it'll find something higher resolution for you.
  7. Enjoy.
Revision History:
  • *2009-04-28* Original version.
  • *2009-07-30* Now adds a preference to your profile that lets you select whether or not the search happens in a new tab/window or the current one. This preference requires cookies to work and is not stored in MAL's database. The preference defaults to the old behavior of searching in a new tab/window.
  • *2009-08-22* Streamlined code, no longer requires cookies for storing the preference. If you'd changed it, you'll have to change it again.
  • *2010-01-13* Fixed to work with the new layout.
  • *2010-06-19* There was a subtle change to the layout of the image page that caused the link to not appear. Fixed.
  • *2011-09-19* Added the option to use an in-page popup for image lookup. Uses MAL's in-page popup infrastructure.
  • *2011-10-17* Added a workaround for a new GreaseMonkey security restriction.
  • *2012-07-08* Updated IQDB url so that it actually works. Also, added a version number, so if you set Greasemonkey to look for updates it should find and install future updates automatically.
  • *2016-08-24* Back from the dead to make the script work properly again. Fixed a number of stupid things I had been doing as well. As a bonus, it now uses LocalStorage if the GreaseMonkey API isn't available.
Known issue:
  • Preference can't be changed if you don't have a MAL account or aren't logged in. Lookup should still work, though, and it will respect your preference if you've set it and logged out. If you don't have an account or haven't set the preference yet, it will default to the in-page popup.
Screenshots:
In-page popup lookup option:

Club picture page:

User preference:
XT-8147Aug 24, 2016 12:53 PM

More topics from this board

» share your amv! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Animetwins - May 5, 2015

1010 by ekabu24 »»
5 hours ago

» Impact of Anime on India's Youth & Its effects on Family Dynamics- A Survey

Anituber69 - Apr 10

6 by Anituber69 »»
Yesterday, 9:41 PM

» To Heart 2 Konomi Yuzuhara (MegaHouse 1/6, 2007/2024)

MasterTasuke - May 4

1 by MasterTasuke »»
May 4, 3:10 PM

» "Molly Ringwald"

MeanMrMusician - May 3

0 by MeanMrMusician »»
May 3, 7:57 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

366 by nin-tendo »»
May 3, 12:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.