Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 30, 2013 12:56 PM
Sep 2013
BHancock said:
Don't listen to the detractors here. Quite a few of them don't know what they missed, or maybe were too young to see it. I know my join date doesn't reflect what I'm saying but I actually have had an account here since 06.

Or perhaps they simply don't have the same appreciation for the show that you did? Look at Stand Alone Complex. So many people treat that series as the holy grail for episodic/sci-fi action. I found it to be only slightly above average, and 2nd GiG to be just barely decent.

BHancock said:
If you read the source material, you'll see that Haruhi as a series is quite deeper than what is presented. It delves into philosophy, theories of time warps, teachings that destroy one faction yet bring up another. Each faction's view of Haruhi would mean the destruction of the other. All of them struggle to maintain that delicate balance and status-quo currently in place. I can also say that TMOHS logic of time warp and dimension travel has a lot less holes than S;G does.

I disagree, for the most part. For time travel, I'm sorry, but this show brings absolutely nothing new to the table. In fact, short of the movie, time travel isn't even really used in an interesting or unpredictable fashion. I will admit that on the philosophy side of things, it does a better job, though still, it isn't exactly a completely new and fresh idea. Well...I'm not sure about anime to be honest, but the world changing and forming in response to a single person's wishes has been done before, a lot. Off the top of my head, the best example I can think of is the "Emperor Joker" DC comics event... Actually...thinking about it now...that arc has quite a bit in common with The Melancholy, and it came out 5 years prior... Anyway, regardless, HS did a good job with the concept. As for the different factions goals meaning the destruction of the others, I don't know...I just didn't find that to be all that intriguing. If anything it only made sense if you ask me.

What I will agree with though, is your view on how it presented the sci-fi aspects of the show. Short of a few rare scenes, you'd never really know it had a pretty heavy focus on all those topics. Again, trying to mask these sci-fi elements isn't anything new, but I've never seen anything pull it off while managing to still keep them interesting. For that, I have to applaud the series.

ssjokg said:
Even if they explain the personalities of the chars,the plot and sub plots,chars relations,music and animation it wont change that you were bored and didnt see anything of all that in the series or saw them and didnt care.

Actually, this show is one of the very rare cases where I kind of feel like watching it with a different mentality can actually make it a better experience, especially when you consider it can be watched in two different orders.
ExtendedRenegadeNov 30, 2013 1:05 PM
Dec 22, 2013 5:31 AM
Oct 2012
ExtendedRenegade said:
I disagree, for the most part. For time travel, I'm sorry, but this show brings absolutely nothing new to the table. In fact, short of the movie, time travel isn't even really used in an interesting or unpredictable fashion. I will admit that on the philosophy side of things, it does a better job, though still, it isn't exactly a completely new and fresh idea. Well...I'm not sure about anime to be honest, but the world changing and forming in response to a single person's wishes has been done before, a lot. Off the top of my head, the best example I can think of is the "Emperor Joker" DC comics event... Actually...thinking about it now...that arc has quite a bit in common with The Melancholy, and it came out 5 years prior... Anyway, regardless, HS did a good job with the concept. As for the different factions goals meaning the destruction of the others, I don't know...I just didn't find that to be all that intriguing. If anything it only made sense if you ask me.

What I will agree with though, is your view on how it presented the sci-fi aspects of the show. Short of a few rare scenes, you'd never really know it had a pretty heavy focus on all those topics. Again, trying to mask these sci-fi elements isn't anything new, but I've never seen anything pull it off while managing to still keep them interesting. For that, I have to applaud the series.

I don't recall saying anything about TMOHS being revolutionary in time traveling fiction. I also doubt Tanigawa has read the Emperor Joker DC comics. All I said was that the execution of the usual loopy logic is extremely well-done.
Mar 18, 2014 11:04 PM
Oct 2012
cub said:
Some people like tomatoes. Other people like potatoes.

I know its insanely late, but I was looking back at this post and man... this made me laugh my ass off(due to it's randomness).
Jun 29, 2015 2:36 PM

Oct 2012
out of all the high school animes, haruhi is the only one that made me feel nostalgic about my own high school life.

Sep 5, 2015 11:54 PM

Apr 2015
I loved the 1st season, 2nd season was meh but the real star is the movie😘😘😘
Sep 12, 2015 5:54 PM

Aug 2014
I came here because of God knows and I will soon watch this anime ;)
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Oct 28, 2016 9:04 AM

Jan 2015
Kolle said:
I see that many people absolutely love this anime enough to give it a 10 and put in favorites. Every time I see this I feel as if I did not watch the anime correctly because I really didn't think much of it. This anime in my opinion is no different from any other school comedy anime, but with a different story and minor differences.

Am I missing something? Is this anime highly rated because of its movie? What was so good about this anime that would make people think of it the way that they do?

Well everyone got different taste so if you didn't like it that much the first time you saw it, there is always the possibility you will like it a second time but often it's the opposite effect :3

I absolutely love the anime, the characters, the plot, setting etc. >w<
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Dec 20, 2016 1:55 PM

Jul 2010
I like the warm atmosphere of school friendship, a mood of adolescence, along with mysteries and sci-fi adventures.
Dec 30, 2016 12:08 PM

Dec 2013
Back in the days, this kind of anime be it the settings, characters or story, was rare, those black days were dominated by mecha and action based anime and the anime world is controlled right in the palm of Kira "Jesus" Yamato (not counting top tier shounen). Then Haruhi comes, to show us the truestestest god and shines anime world brightly, people were going to anime convention, cheerfuly dancing and singing Hare Hare Yukai, weebs come out of their gloomy ircs then created brightful and colorful anime forums, decorated with the god herself as banner or whatever.

Back then, KyoAni blessed us with amazing animation, no anime was even close, a fresh approach toward sol/school genre in general, revolutionized character archtypes, started a new wave of anisong boom and many more. You new kids just wont understand

LordLagann said:
The newer generations will dislike it regardless. It's like NGE or TTGL. You just have to be there to witness what an incredible impact it had on the industry. The young'ns can stick to Fairy Tail and Titans, they don't know what good shit it.

This sum it up.
Jan 13, 2017 6:36 PM

Nov 2016
Good im not the only one

Gap between arcs and ton of blank points in story killed me.Also endless eigth arc was easily -4 point.

İt has good characters and brilliant story idea but processing was horrible

Well everyone have diffrent tastes but i cant stop thinking its overrated.

İ write this mostly becuase i want a write review but my english too bad for it :D Anyway sorry for bad english.
Feb 10, 2017 11:26 AM
Dec 2016
Arararraragi-kun said:
Nothing because it's shit.

Yeah, it is just an overrated trash
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.