Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 26, 2013 1:50 AM

Mar 2013
Well, I just finished the series, and I've gotta say, if I cried like a normal person, then this ending definitely would have made me cry (long story, info to be provided if necessary). As I reach the end of it, though, there are still a few lingering questions/comments I'd like to share.

First of all, the English dub.
While the voice actors were great, I couldn't help but feel that the person in charge of the script kinda dropped the ball. There were mispronunciations fairly often, and some things that were directly translated probably should have been adjusted for an English audience. For example, some of the lines seemed like they would have made more sense in their original Japanese while sounding a little odd to English speakers. Words and names such as "suplex," "Yurippe," and "Naoi" were mispronounced to the point that hearing the words evoked more than just minor irritation. But I digress...

Another thing that kind of bugged me was in episode 10.
Maybe someone can help me out here, but didn't that Yui/Hinata relationship just kinda seem to come out of left field? I mean, in all of the other episodes, they'd never shown any kind of love towards one another aside from what could be compared to sibling love (what with him being annoyed by her and her hitting him and whatnot). And suddenly they have intense emotional feelings for one another?!

I mean, don't get me wrong: that scene really was emotional, and that version of the two of them really seemed like the "perfect" couple. But there was seemingly no buildup to it or anything! I just... I find it hard to accept, you know?

(Also: they're high-schoolers! Isn't it a little early to be talking about marriage?? I know it's supposed to be more about loving one another and less about actually getting married, but still...)

Aside from these two issues, the series was great overall! Definitely an 8 (if not a 9) out of 10!
May 28, 2013 4:40 PM
Apr 2013
Yep, I totally agree. Giving this a solid 9. I watched the subs, so that didn't bother me.
The Yui/Hinata relationship was something I did buy, because you could see that there was chemistry between them. I saw it as kinda seeing the relationship through Otonashi's eyes, not Hinata or Yui's, so that it was kinda like a nice surprise seeing friends come together. Plus, it's kinda reasonable to talk about marriage if it's gonna be your last wish!
If I had one criticism it would be the structure of the series, like if they had less filler at the start and had got to the point where Otonashi started to help Yamada sooner, then there could have been more episodes where they helped people, like Yui. Although that would have made the show more formulaic and less humorous, it wouldn't have tricked the viewer into thinking that this was just a typical slice-of-life comedy with an interesting premise.
Also, for some reason, they had half of Otonashi's flashback in one episode, then went to catch some fish, then had the other half in another one. But, I was pleasantly surprised by the show revisiting his past life, so I guess it was actually okay.
A fantastic series.
Jul 6, 2013 11:20 PM
Jun 2013
I kinda figured something was going to happen with yui and hinata and it was very sweet end for them. The only real problem I had was with kanade. She was so boring and even when everyone was going all she did was nod her head and go mmhmm. Also the kanadexyuzuru thing didint really gell with me ether I enjoyed the yui and hinata thing much more.
Jul 17, 2013 11:12 AM

Jul 2013
This show was far from great. If you ask me it was just very good show on a "good show tier"

Like said the show focuses way too much on the blandest cast member and was just poorly structured and it felt like the creators themselves didn't know what to focus at Like Cansenpai said it should have been just about each of the characters moving on separately.

Too much time wasted and too rushed. There's some strong episodes but most of the time the show is honestly pretty mediocre.
Jul 18, 2013 4:56 AM
Jul 2013
I noticed some mispronunciations too. I first watched the anime subbed but when I decided to re watch some of it I watched dubbed. Since I'd heard the pronunciation in the subbed when it wasn't said right it got on my nerves too. I managed to just ignore it though.

As for the Yui/Hinata relationship. I'll admit at first I was surprised. But after thinking about all their time together and watching some episodes again I began looking for places a relationship seemed to be developing and I noticed it interlaced throughout the majority of their time together. While it could be seen as a brotherly sisterly relationship, I think they just teased each other all the time because they liked each other. They are always so happy together, even if they're fighting. I think they're relationship was established as very good friends and then episode ten in might have escalated awfully fast, but it still did. It was when Hinata admitted his true feelings. They just sort of both realized how deeply they loved each other right there, as did the audience.

With the marriage thing, I thought it was understandable. If I was bed ridden and decided to make up a list of everything I wanted to do and couldn't, marriage would be on my lost as well even in high school. She didn't really say she wanted to get married then, she just wanted to be able to do it before she died, she wished she could stand and do it herself like any common day person could.

I really enjoyed Angel Beats. I also thought the show would have been better if there was more on sending off each person after they overcome whats keeping them there. I always wanted to know why each was stuck there, what was their problem in life? Yui for example, I'd have never expected paralysis because of how she moves all over the place constantly, she's very energetic, but then when you think about it, it makes sense she's so energetic since she is finally given the opportunity to move around more.

But I think if every single episode I had to go through a tear fest for every character, every episode, I'd run out of tears or the effects might wear off. And it might ruin certain characters for me as a viewer. TK for example is so awesome because he doesn't say anything that makes sense, yet you totally understand him. Additionally he's just so funny and always shows up at the perfect moments. But anyways, if TK was completely comprehensible, if we understood why he acted like he did, it'd take away a lot of what makes the viewers like him.

And Kanade was always that way because that was just her character. In the beginning she was always very quiet, straight faced, almost robotic, and so the Battlefront all assumed she was getting orders from God. If all of a sudden we realize Kanade is really nice and she starts acting all emotional and giving long speeches it'd be inconsistent with her character. I always figured her character was supposed to be the opposite of Yuri because they were always enemies. Yuri was loud, confident, and in charge. Kanade was quiet, shy, and didn't take much action herself, just reacted. I think she plays a key role as she is.

Overall the series was wonderful to me. At some points romantic, hilarious, inspiring, intense, it was a good mix of many different emotions. Most of all, it made me respect what I had and remember how much I can do for others. I'm glad to be happy and healthy and even the little things we do effect another person's life. Like deciding to donate an organ while on death's door. Or admitting your love to someone. I loved it.

More topics from this board

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Apr 29, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.