Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 31, 2015 10:15 AM
Jul 2013
Pknoctis said:
The movie's ending pissed me off.

the ending made me so mad
Jan 13, 2016 12:32 AM
Jul 2015
I wanted Ame to break one of his legs and die, I can't stand ungrateful brats like him.
hi
Mar 20, 2016 5:31 PM

Nov 2014
It would be good if ame was at the door at the end of the movie. It was almost too bittersweet.

Apr 27, 2016 4:50 AM

Mar 2016
I'll post my discussion point since it's relevant here too.

I thought the Ame ending was a bit stupid. For one he lives in the forest close to his mom... I don't know why it had to be so final. I understand him being fully immersed but I still think it's stupid how final they made that moment. Like she had to let completely go of him, her 10 year old boy. I don't care if he is a grown wolf, he isn't just a wolf, he is more than a wolf. I don't know why the movie made it seem like it had to be one or the other. Honestly he could do more good for the mountain as a conservationist than as whatever the fox taught him to be, definitely so if you combine both aspects. But ya know, he is 10... so he could have waited a bit longer. He isn't a wolf, wolves rarely make it to 10 in the wild. So while I understand he isn't human, he isn't a wolf either. It's fine for him to side one way or the other. I just feel it was all haphazard and wrong the way it went down.

Also his mom just suffered a ridiculous fall, who in the world would jump right back into the forest instead of at least getting her to a hospital. I mean he could return to the forest right after that. Just a really silly ending in terms of Ame.
Nonchalance_Apr 27, 2016 4:57 AM
May 8, 2016 3:48 PM
Apr 2016
I understand why he chose being a wolf, but why can't he visit her every once in a while....All in all, it was a pretty good movie.
May 14, 2016 3:25 AM
May 2016
Overall I enjoyed the movie, and I was certainly expecting feels from the start. In regards to Ame's decision and the implications associated with it however, a reddit user does an excellent job of explaining how I generally feel about it:

Also, if the director's intent was for me to come to accept Ame's decision like his mother did (especially for them to never see each other again), then for those of us who do not readily accept his decision, there needs to be a fine line between "did we miss the message, the theme, the hints, etc" as oppose to "did the director fail to make all of that obvious and persuade us?" Obviously, the more people there are that detest Ame's chosen path, the stronger the case can be made for the latter since it shouldn't be the common viewer's responsibility to go beyond the movie and do research (e.g. on the behavior of wolves), read people's analysis or reviews and opinions, etc in order to try and arrive at the intended conclusion and understanding that the director wanted for us. If the director actually wanted us to feel this way on the other hand...
Joshuya_RaidonMay 14, 2016 3:59 AM
May 22, 2016 2:02 PM
Jun 2015
In the case of Ame, those who didn't like his ending, seem to miss the point.

The first indication of change was shown when he caught the crested kingfisher in the winter. That was the moment when his wolf side became more dominant or apparent. When he started going to elementary school he would often and more accompany his mother to her workplace where he can spend time with the aged wolf there. By the time he got to 3rd grade he found a "teacher" in the forest where he would learn how to be a part of nature. Time has passed and his "teacher" has broken his leg and will soon die. Ame came home and said "Someone has to take the place of my teacher and carry on his duties". This is implication on the theme circle of life/balance in nature where everything is linked, every animal has his place there. This was the calling for Ame. At first he gave in to his mother's wish to stay but at his age he was "adult" wolf already which his mother and his father in the dream sequence has pointed out. At the end he had to follow his instinct of his animal side and be part of the nature. It's shown he's in full-grown wolf-form. As he became a wolf the only emotion he was able to show her at end was by howling.

That's my take on his ending.

SuperComicGeek said:
I liked the ending, he made his choice. Although I don't see what's stopping him from visiting every once in awhile. Even family's with horrible relationships visit on thanksgiving and/or Christmas. So I do think he made a good choice for himself but I don't think that has to mean leaving forever, I see no reason why he can't comeback and say hi sometimes.

I don't think it is final that he would never visit his mother again. It is shown at the end that he's still nearby the house and for me it's a possibility that he might visit his mother once in while. But I rather guess that he has forsaken his human side and became entirely an animal at the end.
SalmonaruMay 22, 2016 2:19 PM
May 29, 2016 12:23 AM

Sep 2015
Good or bad? Little bit of both I would say. Him leaving is pretty important because it shows us how far he has grown since he was a little boy. Leaving the safety and comfort of home is a sign that Ame is no longer the timid and weak little boy he once was. Him accepting the fact that he's a wolf and deciding to become the new "Master of the Mountains" was really great to see in terms of character of development.

The one part that I was hoping they would show would be him coming back home every now and then to visit poor Mother who endured so much for him and Yuki. That, and along with the fact that I can't believe he just ran off like that, are my bad points about this.

Good on the mother for accepting his choices in the end and being happy for him regardless of his chosen path like a mother should.
Jun 4, 2016 7:26 PM
Jan 2012
Salmonaru said:

The first indication of change was shown when he caught the crested kingfisher in the winter. That was the moment when his wolf side became more dominant or apparent. When he started going to elementary school he would often and more accompany his mother to her workplace where he can spend time with the aged wolf there. By the time he got to 3rd grade he found a "teacher" in the forest where he would learn how to be a part of nature. Time has passed and his "teacher" has broken his leg and will soon die. Ame came home and said "Someone has to take the place of my teacher and carry on his duties". This is implication on the theme circle of life/balance in nature where everything is linked, every animal has his place there. This was the calling for Ame. At first he gave in to his mother's wish to stay but at his age he was "adult" wolf already which his mother and his father in the dream sequence has pointed out. At the end he had to follow his instinct of his animal side and be part of the nature. It's shown he's in full-grown wolf-form. As he became a wolf the only emotion he was able to show her at end was by howling.

SuperComicGeek said:
I liked the ending, he made his choice. Although I don't see what's stopping him from visiting every once in awhile. Even family's with horrible relationships visit on thanksgiving and/or Christmas. So I do think he made a good choice for himself but I don't think that has to mean leaving forever, I see no reason why he can't comeback and say hi sometimes.

I don't think it is final that he would never visit his mother again. It is shown at the end that he's still nearby the house and for me it's a possibility that he might visit his mother once in while. But I rather guess that he has forsaken his human side and became entirely an animal at the end.

BEAUTIFUL EXPLANATION.! :D
Jun 22, 2016 2:44 PM

Aug 2015
They were raised spoiled to be honest. Maybe not materialistic spoiled, but still. Whenever they would throw a tantrum the mom would give in easily. Of curse at least one of the two would end up selfish! To be honest, at least he deserves some credit since the carried her to the parking lot, and didn't let her to die where she fell. I didn't find it emotional or anything. That Hana lacked common sense either way, so who cares, she got over it.
Jul 2, 2016 8:56 AM

Jun 2011
The ending was indeed hard to swallow, but I found it the most fitting ending.

Like people have already said, we're looking at Ame's actions too much from a human perspective. During his youth, he spent all his time in the forest, embracing his wolf half more and more, and thus, growing up as a wolf. Meaning he matured as a wolf as well. Young brains have extremely high plasticity, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if his brain developed into something more similar to a wolf's brain than a human's brain. At least socially, he had developed into a wolf. It's apparent in him interacting with human beings less and less, and more and more with the animals in the forest. Eventually, Yuki and Hana are the only human beings he even shows his face to. Therefore, I don't think we can judge his actions in human social terms at all. He did show gratitude for all she's done for him. When she cryingly told him that she hadn't done anything for him yet, he ran up all the way to the top of the mountain and howled loudly, showing him. To me, that was his way of saying "Look at me. Look at how big and magnificent I've become. I have you to thank for this." I think that's what Hana realised, too, and that's why she told him to "Live on steadily/healthily" and told him her goodbyes.

Some people are complaining about him laying her on the pavement and not caring for her until she was lying in bed, warmly. Perfectly sensible human behaviour. But Ame lost a great part of his connection to his human side. Leaving a note? Same story. Besides, what should he have said? “I have chosen to be a wolf, so goodbye, and thank you for everything”? I don’t think a note would’ve added anything that Hana didn’t already understand. She’s not his mother for nothing. Another complaint is him not visiting her. It's never been shown, so there are a lot of people who think he will visit her every now and then in the future, too. Personally, I don't think he will. Once mature wolves leave their pack, they don't go back. He will still remember her, think of her, and still care for her, because although choosing his wolf side, he won't have forgotten about his human side. But that doesn't mean he will behave like a human again.

But of course, that's just my interpretation. Nobody (or if anyone, it's the script writer of this film) can really give a hard "truth". That's why interpretations exist.

On to Yuki. Contrarily, Yuki spent her youth trying to fit in, things like that moment with the treasure boxes and the incident with Souhei motivating her to act like a normal human girl. It was only that rainy day where she and Souhei were stuck in school and she showed him her wolf appearance, that she accepted her wolf half as well, while still trying to fit in among humans.

And the sweet, strong Hana. From the beginning, Hana had resolved to let them choose their own path. She did a spectacular job at that, trying to influence them as little as possible. I know that if you look at it from a human raising perspective, her way of raising them was soft. However, I don't think she should've been more hard on them, for the sole reason that she would break her vow of letting them choose by themselves that way. Because telling them to sit still and not run around recklessly is perfectly sensible if you raise humans. If you raise a purely human being, that is. If she would've treated them harsher, she would've imposed human behaviour on them, and therefore influencing their choice.

In the end, when she felt that Ame was ready to leave, she got scared and tried to keep him in. Ame obliged only because he cared about her and felt guilty about leaving her. That’s why he told Yuki to stay with their mother that day. And maybe that’s why he also wanted to leave without mentioning it. Because he felt like that was what he had to do, yes, but maybe also because he thought that would make it easier for her. Because despite how it looks, he really cared for Hana. And when he finally left, Hana understood his feelings and knew it was time to let him go, and he in turn understood that she wanted to be assured that she did a good job in raising him.

It felt bittersweet, seeing Hana end up all alone. But then again, that's an important theme of this movie: knowing how and when to let your children go. She realised that she had to let Ame go. As for Yuki, she probably went to the dorms because there wasn’t much nearby and it would’ve been very impractical to let her commute for like 6 hours every day just to go to school. She probably comes back home in the holidays. But Hana will let her go when she turns into an adult, too. That doesn’t mean that for either Yuki or Ame their bond with their parent is broken. Ame will always remember her, and Yuki will continue visiting her, continuing an ordinary mother and daughter relationship.
Jan 3, 2017 9:28 PM
Jun 2013
I only just watched this movie today, and man I'm so glad to see people are still somewhat discussing it, as MAN, THE FEELS.

I hated the ending. Haaated it. I'm very close with my mom and have lots of siblings, and the thought of one of them just running off like that, after all she's done... augh.

I see people here defending him because "he's a wolf, not a human," but that doesn't cut it for me. Ame's father--and to a lesser extent, his sister--both showed it was more than possible for them to embrace both sides of themselves. Even if Ame wanted a more involved life in the wild than just nightly excursions, nothing in how his father and sister acted or anything the movie implied suggested he had to go so utterly rogue. Heck, even the not-seen relatives of Ame's dad apparently had ties with purely human relatives, so that's more proof that werewolves ditching out wasn't a set in stone thing. Especially when real wolves form solid family based packs. A lone wolf is usually a dead wolf.

I had no problem with the fact that he DID want to live as a wolf... I just think HOW he did it could've been shown so much better. Fighting and pretty badly hurting the sister who so long protected him? Leaving his injured mom in a parking lot and then running off without a single word? All to go play 'king of the forest' or whatever, although how exactly either Sensei or him did any good for the mountain wasn't shown at all. Not to mention that if any conservationist hears a supposedly extinct wolf howling it up out there he'll probably be captured for conservation purposes...

Bleh. I loved the early and middle parts of the movie, even though they were often sad (the dad dying, poor Hana all alone and struggling...), but I think the last part could've been handled so much better. Ame's struggle could've been shown more delicately than him simply becoming a cold and even aggressive monster. Yuki could've not completely abandoned the wolf side she once loved so much. Heck, even if they'd stuck to those paths, I could've stomached it if they'd had some credits montage showing both of them at least visiting their mother--Hana and Yuki going to see Ame's forest, Ame occasionally slipping in for a meal with them. But as it was it felt like poor Hana was abandoned and both kids got so polarized that they lost something. Ame more so, but Yuki to some extent as well. It was a lovely movie but the last part of it did nothing for me. >___<

@Joshuya_Raidon: That reddit user summarized it very well. The two children both seemed to think they had to choose one or the other entirely and abandon the other side of themselves, and their mother got left behind in the gap between.
FireflydrakeJan 3, 2017 9:34 PM
Jan 8, 2017 4:40 PM
Nov 2016
Fireflydrake said:
I only just watched this movie today, and man I'm so glad to see people are still somewhat discussing it, as MAN, THE FEELS.

I hated the ending. Haaated it. I'm very close with my mom and have lots of siblings, and the thought of one of them just running off like that, after all she's done... augh.

I see people here defending him because "he's a wolf, not a human," but that doesn't cut it for me. Ame's father--and to a lesser extent, his sister--both showed it was more than possible for them to embrace both sides of themselves. Even if Ame wanted a more involved life in the wild than just nightly excursions, nothing in how his father and sister acted or anything the movie implied suggested he had to go so utterly rogue. Heck, even the not-seen relatives of Ame's dad apparently had ties with purely human relatives, so that's more proof that werewolves ditching out wasn't a set in stone thing. Especially when real wolves form solid family based packs. A lone wolf is usually a dead wolf.

I had no problem with the fact that he DID want to live as a wolf... I just think HOW he did it could've been shown so much better. Fighting and pretty badly hurting the sister who so long protected him? Leaving his injured mom in a parking lot and then running off without a single word? All to go play 'king of the forest' or whatever, although how exactly either Sensei or him did any good for the mountain wasn't shown at all. Not to mention that if any conservationist hears a supposedly extinct wolf howling it up out there he'll probably be captured for conservation purposes...

Bleh. I loved the early and middle parts of the movie, even though they were often sad (the dad dying, poor Hana all alone and struggling...), but I think the last part could've been handled so much better. Ame's struggle could've been shown more delicately than him simply becoming a cold and even aggressive monster. Yuki could've not completely abandoned the wolf side she once loved so much. Heck, even if they'd stuck to those paths, I could've stomached it if they'd had some credits montage showing both of them at least visiting their mother--Hana and Yuki going to see Ame's forest, Ame occasionally slipping in for a meal with them. But as it was it felt like poor Hana was abandoned and both kids got so polarized that they lost something. Ame more so, but Yuki to some extent as well. It was a lovely movie but the last part of it did nothing for me. >___<

@Joshuya_Raidon: That reddit user summarized it very well. The two children both seemed to think they had to choose one or the other entirely and abandon the other side of themselves, and their mother got left behind in the gap between.

I just watched it today, and I agree with your analysis. Overall the movie was very beautiful and the sentimentality touched me, but I cannot accept the ending as a "good thing". What is the message supposed to be? That no matter how much your family sacrifices for you, you can abandon them and do whatever you want? Hana is an extraordinarily kind and patient character, so I understand that she wouldn't hold a grudge against Ame for leaving, but to any outside observer he is an ungrateful and emotionless brat.

The ending would have been far, far better if Ame talked to his mom about his decision and occasionally visited her. But instead, he drops her off in a random parking lot and we are given the impression that his family never sees him again. That's 100% to the extreme of how he could have handled the situation, and as with almost everything in life, it's much better to strike a balance than to go to the extremes. I think Miyazaki's "Mononoke Hime" did a superior job in telling a story with similar themes.
Jan 9, 2017 11:27 AM

Apr 2015
Can't say I liked it. I understand the ending is supposed to convey that bittersweet feeling parents experience when they realize their children have finally grown up and become independent. But the whole scenario feels contrived for the sake of a sad conclusion.

To be fair, I think Hana did tell her children early on that they had the right to choose how they were going to live. I just felt that Ame gave up on his humanity too easily, and he ended up developing a rather unhealthy obsession for life as a wolf. That scene with him chasing after and relentlessly attacking his sister was one thing, but the fact that he was still willing to abandon his mother *right after* she had nearly been killed looking for him rubs me the wrong way. You would think he'd stick around a bit longer to reassure his family of his decision.

On the other hand, Yuki gravitating away from being a wolf made more sense to me. She always came across as more of an extrovert than her little brother. As much as she enjoyed running around, collecting dead animals/bugs (lol) and causing a ruckus, she didn't want to be ostracized from the other kids at school. That, and she's getting at the age where she'll be more self-consious about herself. The dude telling her she smelled like a dog was pretty much the final nail in that coffin. What girl wants to hear something like that?

That said, I find it hard to believe that she would leave her mother on her own knowing that Ame is gone doing his own thing.
Jan 11, 2017 8:16 PM
Jun 2013
Well, I just hope the mother won't be lonely.

Notably, I am worried about Ookami's body. This is one of those cases where I hope daddy's body, like most anime cliche, is taken to a government research lab for secret experimentation.
Feb 5, 2017 2:11 PM

Jan 2016
I thought it was a bad ending, i really can't symphatize with Ame, he now how much his mother has done for him and still treat her this way. The movie was fantastic but i personally don't like it when children don't give a fuck about their parents and then live their own life.

Yes they should make their own choices and move on, but the person who made you who you are should atleast be a part of your decision.
Jun 2, 2017 7:21 AM
May 2015
I think it was a big metaphor for having your child walk their own path.

He might of left her in the rain but that was to give the scene impact. Not him being a jerk.
Dec 28, 2017 9:28 PM
Dec 2017
I get it he had to make the decision based on his needs but seriously who runs away in the middle of a typhoon without a warning also his mother was practically dead when he found her couldn't he take her home and make sure she was ok also what happens after wards the ending is a cliff hanger but there's no sequel
Feb 19, 2018 6:43 AM

Sep 2017
The ending is ok for me. I understand Ame's decision to his path of life. He chose it because he makes him happy and that's where he sees himself. He should visit his mother at their home, that would be great moment of the movie.
Feb 19, 2018 8:01 AM
Mar 2014
Personally I don't agree with the ending.

So Ame is 1 year younger than her sister going to middle school. It's a horrible decision because you are letting someone that is 10 years old deciding what to do with his life this early. I would personally rather see if Ame decide if he would do it during Middle School - High School area because that would be most logical. At least at that time, he has experience in how school works and he can decide if he wants to stay in school or be in the wild.

Additionally, I found Ame's motivation to the viewer was also kind of lacking too. Just because his master died, he is required to take over. What is his duties in the forest? Sure we saw him get training, but what is he suppose to do? Balance in nature is still kept whether he decides to leaves or stay. I don't really understand this, but I can be also missing the entire point too.

I can still enjoy re watching the movie, but I don't agree with most of Ame's actions in the end due to his decisions.
Mar 15, 2018 3:35 PM
Mar 2018
Hana's children grew up too fast. I understand that maybe that was done on purpose, what with ten year old wolves being adults and all. But I feel that Ame didn't give life as a human his best shot. He owes it to himself to try both. Who says that it has to be either/or? He could have gone to live in the mountains and continued to visit and see his mother regularly. She would accept him as he is so there would be no need for pretense. What He did was selfish. He thought only of his needs which is why he practically discarded his mother like yesterday's clothes.
Mar 15, 2018 3:43 PM
Mar 2018
I would have like it if this movie could have shown how Ame and Yuki's wolf and human sides could be merged and celebrated. Instead, they were pitted against each other with a clear line drawn in between.
Mar 15, 2018 3:49 PM
Mar 2018
B
Salmonaru said:

SuperComicGeek said:

But why would the director go to so much pains to show us how much Ame had deserted his human life if he truly hadn't?
Oct 13, 2018 2:17 PM
Sep 2014
Reading many of these replies are like listening to friends tell you how they’ll do when they become a parent. For someone who’s been a parent since quite an early age I often wish I had written down those idealistic statements tonread them out loud when they finally got kids of their own.

Let’s just say it’s extremely easy to think out the best ways of doing things. The problem though is that it’d make a terrible movie, and it’d be horribly unrealistic.

Getting personal, I can totally relate to this movie from my own story. My brother was quite similar to Ame in many ways. Found his own way, and departed. No matter how sad it is for us who’s left behind, related to the movie, obviously there’s many scenarios that could or have played out differently. But it didn’t. And for me, with my life experience, the movie does not have an unrealistic ending. I’m just happy that Hana and Yuki took it so well. Let’s just say I haven’t, in the story where I’m a protagonist.
Oct 22, 2018 12:26 AM
Jun 2017
Ending blows. Ame is ungrateful and Hana is a pushover
Nov 17, 2018 5:31 AM
Nov 2015
apatch3 said:
Do you think it was an easy decision for him to make? Both the children made choices, and he chose to live as a wolf, it probably felt more natural to him than being human. Can you imagine if you were a wolf, what it would feel like constantly having to blend into human society? His sister decided that that was what she wanted to do i.e. blend in forever but for Ame that was something he simply couldn't do, think of all his problems growing up (not wanting to go to school etc).

I don't think it was a bad decision at all, it's sad that he won't get to see his mother but his sister left for Boarding school too, essentially the mother's job was over she had raised her children to live their lives to the fullest, when she yelled "Shikari Ikite" at Ame when he started howling, it was such an amazing moment.
Thank you , you sum up my thoughts and responses to people who think the ending was bad.
Nov 17, 2018 5:37 AM
Nov 2015
hongj77 said:
Ending blows. Ame is ungrateful and Hana is a pushover
I don't know how you can say that she is a pushover, nor can I understand ame being ungrateful , what was he supposed to do ? To give up his own desire to satisfy his mother, what message is that sending?
Nov 17, 2018 5:57 AM
Nov 2015
Chill1 said:
Hana's children grew up too fast. I understand that maybe that was done on purpose, what with ten year old wolves being adults and all. But I feel that Ame didn't give life as a human his best shot. He owes it to himself to try both. Who says that it has to be either/or? He could have gone to live in the mountains and continued to visit and see his mother regularly. She would accept him as he is so there would be no need for pretense. What He did was selfish. He thought only of his needs which is why he practically discarded his mother like yesterday's clothes.
yeah he never really gave his life as a human a shot, and that's probably because the only time he felt happy or alive was when he was a wolf in the wild. Now when it comes to him being "selfish", in an ideal parent-child relationship the child doesn't have any obligation to the parent for doing their job which was looking after him/ her, he wanted to live as a wolf in the wild. The audience seem to be the only one mad about this, probably because of how much we sympathetize with Hana, whereas Hana was content with it , cause like a good parent she's overjoyed to see her child grow and make a full filling decision which also involved both of them embracing a side of his nature.
Seriously the ending was fantastic , cause it made so much sense in the context of the story and it delivered a powerful message across regarding the parent-child bond in a coming of age style.
Nov 17, 2018 6:09 AM
Nov 2015
Pariah695 said:
Two things make Ame's actions completely acceptable. First is that he's a wolf. His wolf instincts are the main driving factor for his personality, in wolf society, leaving your parents at 10 is completely normal. To him, it wasn't wrong.

Second, he was obviously infatuated with living as a wolf. It's easy to see that the human world means nothing to him, so when Hana was trying to keep him because of the rules of human society, he saw it as her chaining and restricting him from the life he wanted. Of course he still loves Hana, but he wanted to live a life he could be happy with, and probably saw that Hana would realize that, as she did.

But like... come on man... At least show Ame stopping by the house so we know he still visits... I'm sure he does, but actually seeing it would have made it more stomachable, especially for people who think his actions were selfish.
Yeah completely agree with your points here, but I personally loved the final shot in the movie with her being alone in the house with a content and satisfied look on her face as if to indicate that despite the many hardships, she is satisfied with the life she has led , the way her children grew up and the decision they made embracing their human or wolf side.
Jan 2, 2019 9:19 AM
Nov 2015
zuziako said:
This actually shows a few flaws in the way Yuki and Ame were raised. Not to discredit Hana, couse she was awesome and strong, but also, a bit too soft at times.

I mean, I get that he's a wolf and whatnot, and he feels the need to live in the woods, but you have to think a bit further ahead. How does Hana explains the sudden disappearance of Ame to the neighbors? If I were his mother and he would pull this prank on me he would be chained to house and that would be it for his mountains adventures. Hell, he would be grounded till 18. If after all that time he would still want to live in the woods - be my guest.

On that note these kids would get an epic scolding after that fight in the house. Followed by looong lecture about responsibilities and brotherhood. I would make them clean all that mess and not be all like "my poor kids having problems with choices in their lives". Aaw, hell no, I would all like "do you know how much time did I spend repairing this house? Now get your wolf ass here and clean or I swear to you, the next time you go out with your friends will be when you're 16!".
yeah she doesn't know how to lecture wolves on their behavior , that's one of the amazing things that the movie conveys Hana loves them but doesn't fully understand them, especially ame. In terms of Ame running away just tell everyone that he ran away , people would look for but never find him and they would feel sorry for her , but she will be ok knowing her son is happy and being true to himself.
Jan 2, 2019 9:21 AM
Nov 2015
txrxgxu said:
Reading many of these replies are like listening to friends tell you how they’ll do when they become a parent. For someone who’s been a parent since quite an early age I often wish I had written down those idealistic statements tonread them out loud when they finally got kids of their own.

Let’s just say it’s extremely easy to think out the best ways of doing things. The problem though is that it’d make a terrible movie, and it’d be horribly unrealistic.

Getting personal, I can totally relate to this movie from my own story. My brother was quite similar to Ame in many ways. Found his own way, and departed. No matter how sad it is for us who’s left behind, related to the movie, obviously there’s many scenarios that could or have played out differently. But it didn’t. And for me, with my life experience, the movie does not have an unrealistic ending. I’m just happy that Hana and Yuki took it so well. Let’s just say I haven’t, in the story where I’m a protagonist.
Thanks for sharing that seriously it made like this movie even more, hope you are doing ok now though.
Jan 2, 2019 9:25 AM
Nov 2015
FireFistYK said:
I thought it was a bad ending, i really can't symphatize with Ame, he now how much his mother has done for him and still treat her this way. The movie was fantastic but i personally don't like it when children don't give a fuck about their parents and then live their own life.

Yes they should make their own choices and move on, but the person who made you who you are should atleast be a part of your decision.
no that's never how it goes and that tends to result in the adult imposing their principles and beliefs on the children and that can cause an even more strained relationship.
Jan 2, 2019 9:29 AM
Nov 2015
Chill1 said:
B
Salmonaru said:

But why would the director go to so much pains to show us how much Ame had deserted his human life if he truly hadn't?
I don't think he completely forsaken his human side he chose the path of the wolf while carrying around his humanity kinda like how Yuki chose the path of the human while carrying around her wolf nature.
Jan 2, 2019 9:31 AM
Nov 2015
xpaula said:
The ending was indeed hard to swallow, but I found it the most fitting ending.

Like people have already said, we're looking at Ame's actions too much from a human perspective. During his youth, he spent all his time in the forest, embracing his wolf half more and more, and thus, growing up as a wolf. Meaning he matured as a wolf as well. Young brains have extremely high plasticity, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if his brain developed into something more similar to a wolf's brain than a human's brain. At least socially, he had developed into a wolf. It's apparent in him interacting with human beings less and less, and more and more with the animals in the forest. Eventually, Yuki and Hana are the only human beings he even shows his face to. Therefore, I don't think we can judge his actions in human social terms at all. He did show gratitude for all she's done for him. When she cryingly told him that she hadn't done anything for him yet, he ran up all the way to the top of the mountain and howled loudly, showing him. To me, that was his way of saying "Look at me. Look at how big and magnificent I've become. I have you to thank for this." I think that's what Hana realised, too, and that's why she told him to "Live on steadily/healthily" and told him her goodbyes.

Some people are complaining about him laying her on the pavement and not caring for her until she was lying in bed, warmly. Perfectly sensible human behaviour. But Ame lost a great part of his connection to his human side. Leaving a note? Same story. Besides, what should he have said? “I have chosen to be a wolf, so goodbye, and thank you for everything”? I don’t think a note would’ve added anything that Hana didn’t already understand. She’s not his mother for nothing. Another complaint is him not visiting her. It's never been shown, so there are a lot of people who think he will visit her every now and then in the future, too. Personally, I don't think he will. Once mature wolves leave their pack, they don't go back. He will still remember her, think of her, and still care for her, because although choosing his wolf side, he won't have forgotten about his human side. But that doesn't mean he will behave like a human again.

But of course, that's just my interpretation. Nobody (or if anyone, it's the script writer of this film) can really give a hard "truth". That's why interpretations exist.

On to Yuki. Contrarily, Yuki spent her youth trying to fit in, things like that moment with the treasure boxes and the incident with Souhei motivating her to act like a normal human girl. It was only that rainy day where she and Souhei were stuck in school and she showed him her wolf appearance, that she accepted her wolf half as well, while still trying to fit in among humans.

And the sweet, strong Hana. From the beginning, Hana had resolved to let them choose their own path. She did a spectacular job at that, trying to influence them as little as possible. I know that if you look at it from a human raising perspective, her way of raising them was soft. However, I don't think she should've been more hard on them, for the sole reason that she would break her vow of letting them choose by themselves that way. Because telling them to sit still and not run around recklessly is perfectly sensible if you raise humans. If you raise a purely human being, that is. If she would've treated them harsher, she would've imposed human behaviour on them, and therefore influencing their choice.

In the end, when she felt that Ame was ready to leave, she got scared and tried to keep him in. Ame obliged only because he cared about her and felt guilty about leaving her. That’s why he told Yuki to stay with their mother that day. And maybe that’s why he also wanted to leave without mentioning it. Because he felt like that was what he had to do, yes, but maybe also because he thought that would make it easier for her. Because despite how it looks, he really cared for Hana. And when he finally left, Hana understood his feelings and knew it was time to let him go, and he in turn understood that she wanted to be assured that she did a good job in raising him.

It felt bittersweet, seeing Hana end up all alone. But then again, that's an important theme of this movie: knowing how and when to let your children go. She realised that she had to let Ame go. As for Yuki, she probably went to the dorms because there wasn’t much nearby and it would’ve been very impractical to let her commute for like 6 hours every day just to go to school. She probably comes back home in the holidays. But Hana will let her go when she turns into an adult, too. That doesn’t mean that for either Yuki or Ame their bond with their parent is broken. Ame will always remember her, and Yuki will continue visiting her, continuing an ordinary mother and daughter relationship.
exactly people need to stop imposing themselves and their principles onto the characters and the story, it cause a cloud of judgement I've made that mistake as well countless number of times.
Aug 16, 2019 4:16 PM
Aug 2019
I love the ending, Ame and Yuki find the paths they want to lead in life, Yuki finds someone she can entrust her secret too, easing the burden on her heart while continuing to live as what she wants to be, a human.

Whilst Ame takes over the position of his Sensei looking after the forest and all its wildlife, he must abandon where he came from to truly succeed as his new role of guardian of the forest.

The only thing I don't like is that he probably should of taken his mother home instead of leaving her in a car park after she had been drenched in rain... But that's it.

Ame has his own life to lead, a life that is different to a human life. He sacrificed his relationship with his family to look after all the other living things that reside in the forest, his mother understands and knows she raised him right as she moved to the countryside to let her children choose what they wanna have in life, and they did...

I'd say she did a good job :)
Feb 4, 2020 5:11 PM

Sep 2018
The greatest act of love is letting go. I feel sad but that's life. It's like in the real life. We children will leave our parents behind when we're matured or have our own life too. I understand Ame and I feel sad for Hana but that's life, her children is not fully human, wolf have their own path, 10yrs old is already an adult for wolf, basically Ame is matured already and need to have his own life which is taking care the forest.
Apr 15, 2020 3:02 AM
Jul 2018
Children grow up and leave home. That's just life.

Both Yuki and Ame left to pursue their own paths in life and yet only Ame seems to get hate from viewers. While I do agree that he didn't choose the best time to leave, we have to remember that he is more a wolf than a human so it's not really fair to judge him from a human perspective. His teacher died, a storm was coming and he felt obligated to take care of the forest. In the end it's his life and his choice what to do with it.

And it's not like he'll never see his mother again. They both live in the same woods and are practically next door neighbours.

It is kinda sad seeing Hana all alone in the end but it's life. She realized that her children have their own lives to lead and that it's her job as their mother to support them. And, as we saw in the end, she is perfectly happy living her own life in the countryside.

Oct 28, 2020 10:35 AM
Oct 2020
Well Ame can visit his mother once in a while right , why is that not possible. After all she accepted his choice .
Dec 29, 2020 7:58 AM

Aug 2017
Crystal49p said:
Well Ame can visit his mother once in a while right , why is that not possible. After all she accepted his choice .

I thought the same thing as you, in itself the choice of Amel is understandable but he can always come back to visit his mother sometimes, it doesn't imply him to come back to human society.
Oct 7, 2021 11:39 AM
Jul 2020
I can feel how every moms felt in those indian serials I had to watch with my mom when their childrens left home ;_;
Nov 28, 2021 6:37 PM
Dec 2017
i thought the ending was sad but still a good ending.

Nov 16, 2023 8:46 AM
Nov 2023
People defending Ame are delusional. Every kid must become their own independent person. That’s not what Ame does. What he does is essentially on par with a child running away and joining a cult. Ame is NOT a wolf he is a human that can shapeshift into a wolf. We all saw that prick get born he was born a human baby. He was in his mother’s womb as a human fetus. He’s not even a hybrid. He’s a human shapeshifter. And if he wanted to frolic in the forest as a wolf fine. But the way he treats his mother and sister who have done nothing to him is disgusting. He leaves his mother in the middle of the road in the rain. I saw people defending this like “well obviously he knows she’s fine” NO HE DOESNT! She could’ve had internal injuries he couldn’t see he isn’t a doctor he doesn’t know! He didn’t even leave her on the side of the road. He left her in the middle of the road where she could’ve easily been run over on that foggy rainy day! He also doesn’t even think about how the mother will be investigated over his disappearance. Does he honestly think he can just run off without people asking questions? He’s a HUMAN child of course they’re gonna wonder where he went. But he is a narcissist so he is not worried about how his actions affect other people! A covert narcissist to be specific and people who defend him have serious issues. His behavior is degenerate and defending degeneracy makes you kinda a degenerate. I remember even when I was 13 and I first saw this movie I hated Ame. He is just a terrible PERSON.
Edit: I also want to add to the people saying “he’s a wolf and so he had to do all that” wolves are social creatures they live in packs NO he DID NOT have to abandon his pack. What he did is not only abnormal for a human but would be abnormal for a wolf. You guys and the creators of this anime apparently don’t understand wolf behavior
r41n300Nov 16, 2023 9:22 AM
Nov 23, 2023 1:58 AM
Mar 2022
I ca understand Ame is a wolf inside and it is not my place to say as I am not but still your mother spent her entire life for you and you just go to replace some one who you have met only some part of your life. That is idiot like act. Nature is not weak that it need some one to full any empty place and not some lone wolf because even in reality lone wolf is useless. He didn't think about his mother and just gone to the wild .
about hana she has some good thing. Her ending was not bad. In order for study you go to the dormitory. She can come to see her mother and gave her time . And ame also tried to takr hana into the wild that is not acceoted. I just wonder how long Ame can live in the forest.
and if he life of a wolf was that easy his father would have gone to the wild.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I hate ame

luksthefool - Mar 19

11 by haidz0000 »»
Yesterday, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

gtr06 - Jul 24, 2012

420 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 13, 4:07 PM

» Ame is loved that much?! really?!

aku_mado - Jul 3, 2022

20 by MichaelJackson »»
May 4, 2023 2:36 AM

» This anime is really weird

AunixHOT - Oct 8, 2021

33 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 10:33 PM

Poll: » Why does this anime have a PG - Children rating?

johnyjohny - May 13, 2016

8 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.