Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 6, 2012 1:47 PM

Oct 2011
Any recs for a good romance manga like Kimi No Iru Machi or GE Good Ending? I've searched quite a bit and a lot of recs end up being shoujo manga which I can't relate to..

-also liked Nozoki Ana, Ichigo 100%, Suzuka, Ayu Mayu, Umi no Misaki, Unbalance x Unbalance, Sword Art Online (Light Novel), Bakemonogatari, etc...

I'll check out anything you suggest so don't be shy!

Thanks!
Nov 6, 2012 1:50 PM

Jun 2007
Nothing you listed is any good in terms of romance or drama because of the fact it's not shoujo or josei. So there's not much unless you want more crappy stuff or retarded harems. I REALLY don't see how you "cant relate" to a shoujo just because the lead character may be a female. It sounds more like you're trying too hard to avoid "girly things" to seem more masculine to yourself and others. And more importantly why do you need to relate to the lead character anyway? The story and rest of the cast is still relatable, and really just because the story may be told from the point of a girl being the MC you can still probably find a lot to relate to - given people are relatively the same when it comes to romance and drama and how they deal with both, plus a lot of shoujo and josei deal with BOTH SIDES of the relationship - so you still have that male MC and his perspective.
TallonKarrde23Nov 6, 2012 1:58 PM
Nov 6, 2012 1:53 PM

Aug 2012
Spice and Wolf - my favorite romance series, hands down. Just watch. Why are you still reading this? You should be watching Spice and Wolf!

ef- a tale of memories- - pretty touching story, nice animation.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - loved the main heroine, had an awesome, if a bit predictable ending

5 CM/Second- absolutely beautiful art and animation, I hated the ending, but it was more for personal reasons.

As for manga,

Princess Lucia - some ecchiness, but has some sweet moments

Witch Craft Works- absolutely hilarious, with some pretty well done romance mixed in. It's incredibly cliched, almost like it's mocking every cliche usually seen in these series
Nov 6, 2012 1:58 PM

Aug 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Nothing you listed is any good in terms of romance or drama because of the fact it's not shoujo or josei. So there's not much unless you want more crappy stuff. I REALLY don't see how you "cant relate" to a shoujo just because the lead character may be a female. It sounds more like you're trying too hard to avoid "girly things" to seem more masculine to yourself and others.

Can't help but respond to this. Honestly, there's a big difference between shounen/seinen romance and dramas and shoujo/josei dramas. USUALLY, shoujos and josei series are more slice of life centered, and have a more realistic depiction of inter-character relationships. On the other hand, shounen and seinen series usually are more guy-centered as far as the romance and drama goes. With all due respect, it's a bit of a stretch to claim that someone who's looking for a shounen/seinen drama is trying to seem more masculine.
Nov 6, 2012 2:05 PM

Jun 2007
baseball3b said:

Can't help but respond to this. Honestly, there's a big difference between shounen/seinen romance and dramas and shoujo/josei dramas. USUALLY, shoujos and josei series are more slice of life centered, and have a more realistic depiction of inter-character relationships. On the other hand, shounen and seinen series usually are more guy-centered as far as the romance and drama goes. With all due respect, it's a bit of a stretch to claim that someone who's looking for a shounen/seinen drama is trying to seem more masculine.

It's more of the fact he made it clear he's avoiding shoujo/josei, which if he didn't care about his false masculinity he would be fine with watching or reading, but god forbid his image of being a big boy be ruined by liking things that fall under demos for the ladies. Look at his lists, it's pretty much all shounen and a few seinen - he's never even really given shoujo or josei a chance because he can't risk it. He can't say he can't relate when he's never even fucking touched the demo. I've known plenty of people like him and it never stops being annoying - and it never stops being hilarious when they finally try one and OH WOW THIS IS GREAT.

And as I mentiond, shounen and seinen "romance" is often not romance at all - it's a thrown in side story with awful writing that has no relation to the actual plot unless it's a harem. And harems by definition are shit when it comes to actual romance.

So, like I said - if he's fine with SHIT then sure theres plenty, but if he wants something actually good in terms of romance or drama, he's gonna have to step out of his little man box.
TallonKarrde23Nov 6, 2012 2:08 PM
Nov 6, 2012 2:16 PM

Aug 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
baseball3b said:

It's more of the fact he made it clear he's avoiding shoujo/josei, which if he didn't care about his false masculinity he would be fine with watching or reading, but god forbid his image of being a big boy be ruined by liking things that fall under demos for the ladies. Look at his lists, it's pretty much all shounen and a few seinen - he's never even really given shoujo or josei a chance because he can't risk it. He can't say he can't relate when he's never even fucking touched the demo. I've known plenty of people like him and it never stops being annoying - and it never stops being hilarious when they finally try one and OH WOW THIS IS GREAT.

And as I mentiond, shounen and seinen "romance" is often not romance at all - it's a thrown in side story with awful writing that has no relation to the actual plot unless it's a harem. And harems by definition are shit when it comes to actual romance.

So, like I said - if he's fine with SHIT then sure theres plenty, but if he wants something actually good in terms of romance or drama, he's gonna have to step out of his little man box.

Just took a look at his profile, disregard what I said earlier ^_^

Anyways, awshumate, you really should give shoujo series a chance, some of them, you'll find, are actually pretty good. I wasn't a huge fan of shoujos myself until this anime season, which have a couple of decent shoujo series. Give them a try, you might like them.
Nov 19, 2012 3:29 PM

Oct 2011
I really appreciate everyone's input including the criticism. Maybe I do avoid shoujo for the wrong reason, I'm not sure. I do know the few I accidentally started reading were a bit effeminate for my tastes, but if the plots good and the characters are realistic I don't think I'd have any issues. Just finished Tora Dora.. fucking awesome.

Either way thank you for all your time and thoughts gonna start researching some shit
;)
Nov 19, 2012 3:44 PM

Oct 2011
Also, I just bought a translated visual novel from manager.com : Kira Kira. It's actually working really well and I was wondering if any of you had some favorite Galge s they'd recommend- I hear shuffle is good and I loved the anime
Nov 19, 2012 4:27 PM
Aug 2012
Yume de aetera ( how do you drop this? Its amazing give it another shot dont drop on first chapter this is one of my favorites and ive read everything you've read pretty much)
Namiiro
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. ( main char is a girl, but its uses shounen art, and mood not like shoujo at all so you can read this)
Orange Yane no Chiisana Ie
Pajama na Kanojo
5cm per second ( unless youve seen movie which is stunning like the manga)
Joousama no Shiro Usagi ( male lead but uses shoujo art and aspects so idk if you'll like)
Kodomo no Jikan
Saikano
Sankarea
try velvet kiss again its not too much romance but the plot is really good, I dont think the ecchi is a problem since you read nozoki and minamoto

Also try taking up the stuff on your plan to read you have a couple nice things there :) ( kiimiro focus, princess lucia and such)
"届どいた....手紙?" - スワ(オレンジ)
Nov 19, 2012 8:13 PM
Sep 2010
Not really going through, but Beck is always a good choice ^.^
Nov 19, 2012 8:15 PM

Jun 2012
If you want to read a romance that won't rot your brain, like most shounen and seinen series, read Onani Master Kurosawa.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Nov 20, 2012 4:26 AM

Apr 2012
How about Change 123? It's really good. Well, it's adult romance since there's a lot of ecchi scenes and most jokes are ecchi, but the romance is really sweet and worth reading.
Nov 22, 2012 6:16 PM
Aug 2012
Nisekoi - its very good
Onani master kurosawa - starts out ridiculous but it has a very good plot. Not much of a romance tho.
Nov 3, 2014 1:41 PM

May 2014
TallonKarrde23 said:
Nothing you listed is any good in terms of romance or drama because of the fact it's not shoujo or josei. So there's not much unless you want more crappy stuff or retarded harems. I REALLY don't see how you "cant relate" to a shoujo just because the lead character may be a female. It sounds more like you're trying too hard to avoid "girly things" to seem more masculine to yourself and others. And more importantly why do you need to relate to the lead character anyway? The story and rest of the cast is still relatable, and really just because the story may be told from the point of a girl being the MC you can still probably find a lot to relate to - given people are relatively the same when it comes to romance and drama and how they deal with both, plus a lot of shoujo and josei deal with BOTH SIDES of the relationship - so you still have that male MC and his perspective.

I honestly don't see why you had to write a whole freakin paragraph in this topic. He's asking for recs, not for people to complain and try to persuade him that his own opinions and likes are wrong.

Anyways recs:
Hetakoi is pretty good
Nov 3, 2014 2:01 PM

Jun 2014
Kimi no Iru Machi is #1 out there
Nov 5, 2014 4:52 AM

Nov 2014
+1 Spice and Wolf

More topics from this board

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

5 by MeguSae38 »»
17 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

20 by windyshadow »»
2 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 9 hours ago

3 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

9 by AnimeDownUnder »»
5 hours ago

» Anime male character not abused by female characters

EleganteX - Aug 15, 2015

22 by thorin001 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.