Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 27, 2014 6:16 PM

Apr 2013
Brotherhood's history/lore is better, characters are well written and they have depth, the story's more concise, and the mangaka/brotherhood does a better job of presenting the themes and messages to us.

Towards the beginning of the second half of the 2003 anime, i feel like the writing got a little messy. But eh, both are really good in their own way.
Sep 27, 2014 11:31 PM
Sep 2014
BH takes this one easily. I liked a lot of the things in FMA 2003 but that dat ending doe. Its not better than BH if it had a good ending anyway.
Sep 30, 2014 12:57 PM

Mar 2014
SuperRed said:
mecharobot said:
Brotherhood is a generic shounen adventure that offers absolutely nothing to someone who has already seen a dozen of them.

Bullshit.

^ QFT.

BH for me, 2003 was a huge clusterfuck (especially near the end). And I don't even really commend 2003 for its "dark atmosphere". I mean yeah, it was there but it's not like BH didn't have any of that either. The story itself was still pretty serious. I actually liked BH's humor, thought it added to the entire experience.

I might have to re-watch 2003 again, I really didn't like it at all (beginning wasn't so bad). But I loved everything about BH.
Oct 1, 2014 11:31 PM

Jan 2014
jreginald said:
SuperRed said:

Bullshit.

^ QFT.

BH for me, 2003 was a huge clusterfuck (especially near the end). And I don't even really commend 2003 for its "dark atmosphere". I mean yeah, it was there but it's not like BH didn't have any of that either. The story itself was still pretty serious. I actually liked BH's humor, thought it added to the entire experience.

I might have to re-watch 2003 again, I really didn't like it at all (beginning wasn't so bad). But I loved everything about BH.

What about Nina's death and Hughes death? You really thought the 2003 didn't do a good job?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 8, 2014 9:29 AM

Feb 2013
iteukiiz said:
Both are really good. But I have a bias towards FMAB because EVERYONE keeps telling me how much better FMAB is than FMA. I've already finished FMA and it does seeem to lack a little bit of something. I've just started FMAB (only 4 eps in orz). So, really, all I can say is that both are good. But many others would probably say FMAB >>> FMA.

You saw one filler episode and three mediocre attempts to cover the originals material faster. Hold your horses
Oct 8, 2014 11:40 PM

May 2014
Watch the original, and then watch Brotherhood, so you can appreciate Brotherhood more. The original is by no means bad, but Brotherhood is just on another level, and watching the first will make you appreciate Brotherhood more.
Oct 22, 2014 2:08 PM
Oct 2014
For me, I found that Brotherhood was the better series overall. They were both really good, and I enjoyed them thoroughly, but I still think Brotherhood just had more going for it with a greater amount of character development and in my opinion a better story and ending. The original did have some amazing links to tie characters together admittedly, which I felt the latter tried to do but just didn't give off as good as a 'plot twist' feel to me. I also feel that despite the admirable try in Brotherhood, Maes Hughes had a much more enjoyable performance delivered in the original, and Al's voice is a tad whiny in Brotherhood which took me about 5-10 episodes to get over. There was also WAY too much exposition crammed down your throat at the beginning of Brotherhood but at least it dies down once you get into it. Still though, with all those drawbacks a lot of the more amiable characters get fleshed out instead of left on the sidelines with ED and Al hogging the limelight. Brotherhood also has a much more diverse cast with more relate-able characters thrown into the mix rather than some seemingly black & white, clear-cut average Joe's with one or two cool traits like in the original. Some of my favourite improvements made had to be Mustang and Greed however, who get given a lot more depth in terms of relations with others, backstory, motives, and more complex personalities. Still though, probably one of the best things though, was the ending because **SPOILER ALERT** Ed and Al actually get their f*cking bodies back! Woo! Took 60+ episodes but they did it! Unlike in the original which sucked dick because Ed was all like "oh well, f*ck alchemy I'll just use physics and rockets and sh*t because science logic". Thanks Square Enix for that ending... Pricks...
Oct 30, 2014 6:58 PM

Feb 2013
Just saying my piece
Brotherhood introduced a large number of cast members, many of whom didn't get all that much development, and most of the characters from the original got the shaft (with the exceptions being Winry, Riza, and Scar, and I don't particularly think his story in Brotherhood was any better or worse than the original).

A longer plot does not a better one make. One that is more epic does not a better plot make. Presentation is a big deal, and FMA not only looked and sounded better, it had consistently good pacing through the entire length of the show. Brotherhood was a fumbling mess, it started off in a massive rush that left some of the most poignant parts of the story feeling underwhelming and disappointing (which, it's important to note, means this show CANNOT stand on it's own and nearly depends on viewers having watched the original in order to do the manga's story justice), and most of the second half was a big, long, drawn-out exercise in frustration where it took way too long to do anything. I think pointlessly slow pacing is FAR worse filler than an occasional, useful filler episode here and there. It technically advanced the story more, but I HATE crawling at a snail's pace.

It's arguable that Brotherhood's story/plot was better. I think it comes down to what you like at that point: do you prefer a grand plot at an epic scale with a group of characters who are all predictable and clearly good or bad (with Scar being the only source of real "gray area" development), or do you prefer a story that brings you closer to the characters and their relationships (again excepting Winry and Riza with Ed and Mustang respectively) and shows people with a whole lot more "gray area" in their morality and the choices they make, and how the whole plot is centered around the price of sacrifice for making major mistakes. In this case, I preferred the latter, possibly because I've seen plenty of stories with the former and am perhaps getting a little too familiar with them, while FMA had plot elements that are much less common, particularly in anime.

Anyway I still have both of these rated a 9 and the manga on my favorite manga list, so meh. It's good to enjoy both
Jul 15, 2015 11:40 PM
Jul 2015
People only say brotherhood because it's the generic version and it Pisses me off because FMA was absolutely hands down well made anime and I hate how people low bail it just because it didn't come from original Manga story.
Aug 5, 2015 1:18 AM
Jul 2018
Angelh0624 said:
People only say brotherhood because it's the generic version and it Pisses me off because FMA was absolutely hands down well made anime and I hate how people low bail it just because it didn't come from original Manga story.

Here's the thing. FMA original, even if it did diverge to it's own path, is an anime! It was created to have the pace, atmosphere, development of an animated story - I would say an animated novel, judging by the high detail in setting and mood it establishes.
Brotherhood is animated manga. It has no identity of its own, most strictly being compared to the manga (I have yet to see any claim of it that takes it away from it's original roots in the manga). It's the coloured panels of the manga, animated in flashy, thrilling and over the top ways and using the same tricks of the static medium of the manga even if in animated form they are unwarranted.

I went more in depth on the shortcoming of Brotherhood here: http://maddalinamocanu.blogspot.com/2015/07/fullmetal-alchemist-2003-vs-fma.html
Nov 26, 2015 7:21 AM

Nov 2015
Original is better. Better art style, more cinematic, more cathartic, more mature atmosphere, better explanation of world mechanisms and hell of a lot better soundtrack.

Not to mention, the original's version for the homonculi were a million times more profound and intriguing,

I would also say that the original had more character development for the main leads. The large supporting cast in Broho ended up being both a plus, yet at the same time, a hindrance to it's quality. Really, there were so damn many of them! So much so that Ed and Al themselves felt like side characters by the end of it all. Whereas in the original, all of the characters who actually mattered got adequate screentime and were fleshed out to their fullest.

And finally the shock value and more gritty tone. Not to say that Broho wasn't dark, but the forced shoe-horning of humour just made the whole thing seem a lot more lighthearted and cutesy. Whereas in the original, whatever little semblance of humour there was basically vanished by the second half. And this goes without saying, but that one scene in Episode 50 of the original was one of the most intense and shocking moments I've seen in anime history.
sugasweetnitmareDec 9, 2015 7:46 AM
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Aug 17, 2016 11:40 AM
Mar 2016
I have seen both start to finsh FMA first and then Brotherhood. I am going to come out and say that I have the not that popular opinion that FMA is better than brotherhood. That doesn't mean that Brotherhood is bad at all (it is infact my 5th favorite anime and FMA is my 3rd). My main problem with Brotherhood is the comedy that is just slaps in when the 5 seconds ago it was really serious in the original thay new when they were fucking around and when they trying to achieve something. Now that might seem like a nitpick and it really is but this 2 shows are that good so you either give nitpicks or just complitly subjective things. For the character, I will just say that in FMA there are few (compered to FMAB) but vary good and I will compere only the ones that I think were better in either show and were in both (that means that FMA Wrath will not be talk about even thought I think he is one of the best in FMA) Firstly the elephant in the room. The Elric brothers. This has to go to Brotherhood but it is really close, almost a tie but what it gives it to brotherhood is that ED saw Al's body and what he thinks about it and how Al's handels the posability that he is fake. Next up I want to talk about Lust, 150% goes to FMA for reasons that I think you can see without me spelling it out.Lastly Maes Hughes, his death almost ment nothing to me in brotherhood and is the thing that sets FMA above Brotherhood for me. Now I get that the impact that his death has on the other characters but if it wasn's Fullmetal Alchemist and if I didn't have that big of an imotional conection I would have been kinda meh when he dies. I know that Brotherhood was adapting the manga and FMA aadapted those parts but that doesnt mean that it isn't a negative.
Anything else that I would say would be no help to anybody and I sould just keep to myself. To anybody that is trying to find out which one to watch I say both but FMA first and then Brotherhood becuse watching something truly great but with some thing outdated and then something really good with everything new is fair to both but seeing the new and then the one with something outdated isnt really. Lastly I say that you should go into either one with wanting more of the other if you have watched only brotherhood don't think that FMA is more of it and if you have seen FMA.....let's be real if you have seen FMA you HAVE seen brotherhood
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.