Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2012 1:38 PM

Oct 2011
I'll keep this constantly updated with current info.

Please post your picks, hopes, and desires from these fights! Let's see who can call the most, shall we?

Heavyweight: Cain Velasquez (11-1) vs Antonio Silva (18-4) @ UFC 160, May 25th 2013.
My pick: Cain via TKO, round one.

Bantamweight: Renan Barao (30-1) vs Eddie Wineland (20-8-1) @ UFC: 161, June 15th, 2013.
My pick: Barao via decision.

Middleweight: Anderson Silva (33-4) vs Chris Weidman (9-0) @ UFC 162: July 6th, 2013.
My pick: Silva via TKO, round two.

Flyweight: Demetrious Johnson (17-2-1) vs John Moraga (13-1) @ UFC on Fox 8: July 27th, 2013.
My pick: Johnson via decision.

Featherweight: Jose Aldo (22-1) vs Anthony Pettis (16-2) @ UFC 163: August 3rd, 2013.
My pick: Jose Aldo via decision. Very tough fight to pick.

Winning picks:
lordzeruApr 29, 2013 12:02 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 12, 2012 4:27 PM

Feb 2009
Good topic, should be interesting to see other picks.

dos Santos over Mir, Round 3 tko ... avenge Nog!!!! Really looking forward to this one.
Silva over Sonnen, Round 2 sub ... much like Babalu's heel hook, I really want to see Silva make Sonnen scream in pain.
Barao over Faber, decision ... tough fight to call, action fight!!!!!
Aldo over Koch, Round 1 ko ... Koch is just not ready, Aldo is in another dimension right now.
B. Henderson over Edgar, decision ... more of the same from their first fight.
Jones over Hendo, Round 3 sub ... Jones will find some holes get it to the ground, and get a choke out.
baboonMay 19, 2012 1:59 PM
May 12, 2012 6:13 PM
Jul 2018
Dos Santos over Mir Round 1 Uppercut TKO
Silvs over Sonnen Round 2 KO- @Baboon it was triangle choke Babalu did.
Faber vs TBA.. Faber winning by Submission
Koch over Aldo Round 4 KO - Rooting for the underdog xD
B.Henderson over Edgar Submission Round 4
Hendo over Jones Round 3 H Bomb KO.
May 12, 2012 8:22 PM

Feb 2009
I know, but during the fight he had him in a heel hook. Sonnen put his hand on the fence and yelled out in pain right in front of the camera towards the end of round 1. It was great lol
May 13, 2012 4:56 AM
Jul 2018
Sonnen screaming was satisfying to watch though it was more like a ehhh! xD.

I hate Sonnen's fans with a passion, the stuff they say like Silva is a fraud pisses me right off.
May 13, 2012 6:33 AM

Oct 2011
Super bold pick there on the Hendo fight. As much as I'd love to see it, the chances are so slim it's ridiculous. I think Hendo will tire out sometime during the match, and I think Jones will use that chance to finish him on the ground.
May 13, 2012 6:36 AM
Jul 2018
I'm known for making bold picks as I'm in a MMA fantasy pick league from a facebook page and when everyone though Paulo Thiago would beat Siyar 95% for Thiago and I picked Siyar and look what happened so it's possible, just quite unlikely lol :).
removed-userMay 13, 2012 3:09 PM
May 13, 2012 3:09 PM

Oct 2011
Well that's not as bold to me, per se, because that's a UFC new-comer, and you really can't ever say what you're going to get out of them unless they were a big name before entering. But Jones and Henderson? You know exactly what they're bringing to the table, and I think Bones is going to outwork Hendo and tire him out. But if Hendo connected and puts him out? I think I might just cry with joy.
May 13, 2012 3:25 PM
Jul 2018
I only knew about him from Mayhem Miller and watched a few of his fights and he had KO power for sure so it was standing then I saw him winning all day, albeit not that fast as he did vs Thiago. Yeah I know, but I'm always rooting for my favorite fighters regardless of the odds. Well prepare your tissues as I'm sticking with my pick :).
May 13, 2012 10:01 PM

Oct 2011
baboon said:
I know, but during the fight he had him in a heel hook. Sonnen put his hand on the fence and yelled out in pain right in front of the camera towards the end of round 1. It was great lol

I had to go rewatch this. Epic, I missed that my first time around. I'd die happy if Anderson did anything of the sort to Sonnen.

Flamereel17 said:
I only knew about him from Mayhem Miller and watched a few of his fights and he had KO power for sure so it was standing then I saw him winning all day, albeit not that fast as he did vs Thiago. Yeah I know, but I'm always rooting for my favorite fighters regardless of the odds. Well prepare your tissues as I'm sticking with my pick :).

I always root for my favorite fighters, but that doesn't affect how I call my fights. My brain can say one thing, but my heart can hope for something entirely different. I'll without a doubt be rooting for Hendo, but I think the only reason I'll need tissues is to wipe away my tears when I watch a legend and one of my personal favorite fighters ever get beaten by the newer generation.
May 14, 2012 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
Anderson will make Sonnen his bitch.

Well, that pick is based on my heart and not my brain, but I'm hoping for the near impossible so, just hope Hendo doesn't get Ko'ed or TKO'ed.
May 16, 2012 7:59 AM

Oct 2011
Chael pisses me off every time I see him, lol. I was watching the pre and post fight show for last night's event, and I couldn't help but want to stab him just about every time he spoke. I think he called himself "The Great One' at one point, while referencing a potential fight with Tom Lawlor.
May 16, 2012 1:38 PM
Jul 2018
I've seen a different side of Chael when he was himself on the Joe Rogan Podcast where he isn't referring to himself as great but instead showing his real emotions and thoughts and he's actually a really smart person. It's not to say that I think Chael isn't annoying but it shows that he's got different sides to him behind the promotional side.

here's the link to the full podcast it's worth the watch even though it's 2 hours at 40 minutes, listened to it all when I was doing work.

May 16, 2012 1:54 PM

Aug 2011
well im a big mir fanboy but if i was to bet....jds via tko round 2 (although id go crazy if mir got the sub)
anderson over cheal via ko round 3?
aldo over koch via round 3 ko...though i think the weight cut will hurt aldo
B.Henderson over Edgar via dec...though i see a clear win this time
jones over hendo via sub round 4...though im hoping for a h bomb to land
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/GregRocks&sclick=1">

"Gravity is just a myth. Jon Fitch is holding everything down. He's like the opposite of Atlas, he's got the world under his shoulder."
May 16, 2012 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
@Greyrocks
Pretty good picks
I wouldn't count out Mir completely in the fight but JDS has too much speed and power standing.
Aldo will probably win, but Koch may have improved alot in his layoff or it may affect him even more.
I agree with the Benson pick as big Benson fan :D.
Really want a H bomb to land xD
May 18, 2012 2:31 AM

Aug 2011
yeah, i think he's got a better chance than most people give him credit for. i think that he'd have a better shot if he was back down to 245, he seemed so much quicker on his feet then

"Gravity is just a myth. Jon Fitch is holding everything down. He's like the opposite of Atlas, he's got the world under his shoulder."
May 18, 2012 9:10 AM
Jul 2018
Though he might stay at 260 in order to make sure he has the strength to take JDS to the ground.
May 18, 2012 9:26 AM

Oct 2011
Mir doesn't really have a double leg, or a single. I don't expect him to get a chance to take JDS to the ground. He has crisp boxing, but no real striking defense and he doesn't react well to getting hit heavy and accurate.

Also, I read some of Chael's book the other day. I really do not like this guy. I'm big into politics as well, and his views on things are exactly what I don't want for my country. But I do give him respect for actually acknowledging that he believes Anderson is the best fighter on the planet. I'm glad he really doesn't believe the hype he himself throws into some of his interviews.
May 18, 2012 9:42 AM
Jul 2018
Mir is more likely to do clinch throws and if you get a hard hitter like JDS in the clinch it could mean uppercut time which= zzzz. Mir has no striking defence and when hit by a big shot he just can't recover fast, he was lucky that Nog went for a choke instead of punching him as he was face down.

Well his political views I would not like- and this is coming from someone from the UK. He knows that but every time he's doing PR he says the opposite to get more idiot fans and media attention.
removed-userMay 18, 2012 9:49 AM
May 18, 2012 10:26 AM

Aug 2011
yeah, i can see him wanted to be bigger to try and push jds up against the cage and trip him down or something. ive been told from guys who fight that being in great shape helps alot with recovery (im to lazy to know lol) so i think that would help him more than anything. plus he seem so much quicker at 245 then he does now.

unless he has some kinda trick up his sleeve i dont see him taking jds down tbh.

haha unless he wants to pull a werdum...

May 18, 2012 10:53 AM

Oct 2011
LOL. He could pull a Werdum..but I have more respect for Frank than that. I mean, Frank couldn't take down an out of shape and out of prime Cro Cop..I don't think he's going to get the takedown against JDS. Also, closing the gap against JDS has proven to be more than just about any fighter can handle. I think JDS' 85% take down defense rate is deceiving on how painful it is to actually grab a leg. He has strong hips and that uppercut..god damn that uppercut.

Just edited the post with the GSP and Condit update, since I'm pretty sure with everything going on that Condit is going to be a pussy and wait out a fight with GSP and not defend his belt.
lordzeruMay 18, 2012 11:03 AM
May 18, 2012 11:34 AM
Jul 2018
Pull Guard every 10 seconds? I don't think Mir is that type of fighter. That fight was so boring -.-.

Well Cain tried to do that and got Knocked out, 85%, thought it was around 80 but still really good. He has great footwork and that uppercut, no wonder Lavar is doing good using it :).

Condit has now fought two times in two years, he's going to get ring rust if he keeps waiting. Ellenberger and Hendricks I see probably fighting if Ellenberger beats Kampmann as they would get fed up waiting after a while.
May 18, 2012 10:28 PM

Oct 2011
No way Mir would do that. That plan has never worked for any fighter, and Mir is probably one of the more intelligent fighters around today.

Condit has lost all my respect. I mean, the fight with Diaz. Sure, that's a dangerous opponent and he fought a smart, but disappointing, fight and managed to secure the win. Yeah, that's fine. But when you openly say you are NOT going to defend your belt cause you'd rather sit around and wait for an injured fighter, and clog up a rapidly developing division? That's bull. That's unacceptable.

Updated the post with Renan's info. Let's get some picks!
May 19, 2012 4:13 AM

Aug 2011
haha i was talking about acting like he was rocked and then when jds goes in for the finish going for something. kinda like werdum did w fedor but i noticed jds hops back everytime he drops someone so that might not work too well

haha itd be crazy to see him go for a flying armbar or something lol

i have a feeling jds wants to submit him tho...im prolly wrong but that would make my day if its a repeat of the nog fight

that is pretty shitty on his part. not we have 2 champs at 170 who dont fight for a while

May 19, 2012 6:27 AM
Jul 2018
I hope he doesn't do that but anything can happen in MMA. Well, JDS will know better than to dive into Mir's guard than Fedor did against Werdum, Fedor got too ahead of himself as he knocked Werdum down with a pretty hard shot I don't think he was that rocked though, and then Fedor left himself open and the rest is done.

Mir doing a flying armbar, if he pulls that off then that would be :O, but can't see it happening from a 245-260 Mir xD.

Nah, I don't think he wants to do that, as he said in the UFC primetime I want to Knock him Out.

Condit fought a point fight against Diaz, let's put it that way. I mean he fought smart but that's a kick to the nuts to people who fork out $50 for the PPV. That pissed me off, it's like you're openly saying you don't want to fight when the point of a Interim belt is to fight challengers until the real champ has returned from injury etc... . I don't think he would want to face Ellenberger after what he did the first time, if Ellenberger improves his cardio then you never know, but that probably won't happen as he's NOT wanting to defend the belt.

GSP has a valid reason for not fighting I mean a torn ACL, nobody in the world can fight with that ever until they get surgery, rehab and that.

It's a tough one to pick for Faber vs Barao, I'm picking Faber to win by 4rd submission just like KZ did.
May 19, 2012 9:30 AM

Oct 2011
GregRocks said:

haha itd be crazy to see him go for a flying armbar or something lol

i have a feeling jds wants to submit him tho...im prolly wrong but that would make my day if its a repeat of the nog fight

That would be something insane. I don't know if Mir is light enough to really attempt something like that successfully, and that'd be pretty risky should it fail, cause he'd be on the bad end of a savage flurry of punches.

I'm very excited for the Faber-Barao fight! Both of these guys bring it. Faber is a smart opponent and never quits, but he's only really ever been totally outclassed by Jose Aldo. While I think Barao's striking is some of the most technical and stunning in the BW division, he's no Aldo. I think we're in for a chess match with this one, and I think Barao is going to be able to secure more rounds with precise striking and keeping on his bicycle to move in and out of range of Faber while sprawling on takedown attempts.
May 19, 2012 10:06 AM
Jul 2018
I'm more excited for the Faber vs Barao fight than the original match up :L.

It's anybody's to win- that's the great thing about this match up- both of them have a even chance to win it- just depends on who's better on the day.
May 19, 2012 1:58 PM

Feb 2009
Tough fight to call, leaning towards a Barao decision. Should be a wild fight.
May 22, 2012 9:14 AM

Oct 2011
Same. I think Barao takes it though.

Apparently Faber is all pissed off at Dana, cause Dana lied to him about Barao. Apparently Dana lied to Faber so that Faber's reaction during the live showing of TUF would be more legit when Barao was announced as his opponent. I can understand where Faber is coming from on this. Apparently Dana told him he was fighting a different guy, and Faber went out and started watching tapes and started gameplanning for this guy, cause Dana straight up lied to him and said he wasn't fighting Barao. So Dana choose a reaction on live television over Faber's very short time to game plan for a tough opponent. Pretty low of Dana.
May 22, 2012 9:34 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know who to pick :@.

That's really low of Dana, I mean faber went and starting gameplanning for another guy, that takes time and effort and Dana straight lied to him for a reaction and then he has to gameplan for a harder opponent in less time, that's just pathetic.
May 27, 2012 2:56 PM

Oct 2011
GregRocks said:
well im a big mir fanboy but if i was to bet....jds via tko round 2

We have a winner from last night's event! Nice call man.
May 27, 2012 3:05 PM
Jul 2018
Exact finish damn GreyRocks do you time travel xD
May 27, 2012 3:20 PM

Oct 2011
Yeah, that was a pretty good call. Guess something like that could only come from a Mir fanboy. :P

We got a while before our next couple of title fights, and I feel like JDS will probably get a chance to defend his title before GSP reappears on the scene. . I also updated the GSP/Condit fight with the current rumored date for that fight.
May 27, 2012 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
Least he hung in their alot longer than Cain was able to.

GSP vs Condit fight- GSP submission by armbar round 4
May 27, 2012 8:50 PM

Feb 2009
Well hopefully Cain learned from their first fight and doesnt leave himself open again.
Looking forward to the fight since the first one was such a let down when it ended after only 1 minute. RE-DO.
May 28, 2012 4:15 AM
Jul 2018
Just have to wait and see
All the hype for it and one punch and it was done from there was just :L
Jun 5, 2012 9:33 AM

Oct 2011
Only a month away from the Silva-Sonnen rematch. Time sure does fly. It seems like only the other week that I was sitting on the edge of my seat with cold sweat watching the first fight.
Jun 9, 2012 7:34 AM

Oct 2011
Updated with the flyweight and heavyweight title fights coming up. We got a full house here! All seven champs with current dates to defend, and one fight to crown a champ. I think the Benavidez-Johnson fight has fight of the year potential, if they both just go out there and do what they do best.
Jun 9, 2012 7:37 AM
Jul 2018
Looks like it's all going to plan fingers crossed.

Benevidez by KO round 5- I just can't see anywhere where Johnson is better than him at.
Jun 9, 2012 7:42 AM

Oct 2011
If Johnson fights anything like how he did last night, Benavidez isn't going away looking pretty. I think Johnson has more pure speed than Benavidez could hope to match, especially if you watched the first flyweight card a bit back. You look at the pace Ian and Johnson fought at, and then you see the Benavidez fight...Benavidez just looked so sluggish in comparison, when we both know he's not. If Johnson correctly comes in and fights with speed and occasional off balance takedown attempts, he could give Benavidez a real challenge.

That said, I think Benavidez is going to rely on his strength to power through and probably attempt several times to steal rounds by putting Johnson on his back.
Jun 28, 2012 11:16 AM

Oct 2011
Even more hyped for the Silva-Sonnen II event with all the trash talk Anderson is unleashing on Sonnen as of late. The entire card promises to be exciting, with the exception of the utterly pointless Ortiz-Griffin rubbermatch.

Also considering turning the thread into a straight MMA title fight thread, instead of just UFC. Thoughts?
lordzeruJun 28, 2012 12:45 PM
Jun 28, 2012 7:07 PM

Feb 2009
lordzeru said:
Even more hyped for the Silva-Sonnen II event with all the trash talk Anderson is unleashing on Sonnen as of late. The entire card promises to be exciting, with the exception of the utterly pointless Ortiz-Griffin rubbermatch.

Also considering turning the thread into a straight MMA title fight thread, instead of just UFC. Thoughts?

Getting hyped as well, and about Ortiz/Griffin its Ortiz's retirement fight so why not? Griffin doesnt even feel relevant anymore to me. Both could retire for all I care.

MMA title fight thread sounds good to me.... Strikeforce and Bellator should be added for sure.
Jun 28, 2012 8:13 PM

Nov 2011
lordzeru said:

Don't get too hyped. Sonnen is probably going to get choked out by his own shirt collar before even entering the cage. That man has a way of attracting submissions his way. God I hope I didn't jinx it.
The Art of Eight
Jun 28, 2012 10:40 PM

Oct 2011
baboon said:

Getting hyped as well, and about Ortiz/Griffin its Ortiz's retirement fight so why not? Griffin doesnt even feel relevant anymore to me. Both could retire for all I care.

MMA title fight thread sounds good to me.... Strikeforce and Bellator should be added for sure.

Right, I agree. After Forrest got Spider'd back in '09, he just hasn't been the same fighter. The Ortiz comeback last year was cool in it's own right, but the quick smashings from Evans and Lil' Nog ended those talks quick.

dankickyou said:
Don't get too hyped. Sonnen is probably going to get choked out by his own shirt collar before even entering the cage. That man has a way of attracting submissions his way. God I hope I didn't jinx it.

While I agree, I'm hoping for some of the extreme dis-figuration and transformation that Anderson has promised to do to Chael's face. I hope he stays conscious long enough for at least for a couple of entertaining facial expressions worthy of shooping

Turned the thread into a pure MMA title fight thread. More opportunity for speculation and discussion! I have to say, the Curran-Freire match up is gold.
lordzeruJun 28, 2012 11:06 PM
Jun 29, 2012 4:32 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah- after all there's more MMA organisations than just the UFC :L.

Let's see you've got in Bellator:

Michael Chandler vs Rick Hawn for the Lightweight Title

Maiquel Falcão vs Alexander Shlemenko for the Vacant Middleweight Title

For the Curran vs Pitbull fight- I'm going to go for Patricio Freire by KO 3- even though my head says Curran will win.

For Ronda Rousey (5-0) vs Sarah Kaufman (15-1) - I'm going with Rousey via Armbar round 2.
Jun 29, 2012 8:19 AM

Oct 2011
Yeah, I didn't add either of those two because they don't have any dates yet. They don't even have any rumored dates, either. So I just left them out simply because at the time of night I was too lazy to put them up. (':

I already has the Rousey and Kaufman fight, and yeah. I just had to pick Rousey by armbar.
Jun 29, 2012 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah I know- it'll probably be in December or something at this rate- well you still included the main ones :)

Unless Kaufman can stop the Judo and use her stand up to win the fight- ground she has no chance.
Jun 29, 2012 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
With Gina Carano in Holywoodland and Cyborg under suspension, is Rousey poised to become the next face of Women's MMA in the West? She certainly has a lot of hype behind her.
The Art of Eight
Jun 29, 2012 8:38 AM

Oct 2011
I think that goes without saying. She's attractive, outspoken, and she spends a lot of time with already well established fan favorites, the Diaz brothers and their crew over with Gracie. I think if she can keep her win streak going, and maybe get a chance to fight Cyborg when and if she returns from her suspension, it's possible for her to bring a lot of exposure to women's MMA that has certainly been lacking.
Jun 30, 2012 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
she is poised to be with being skillful, always does interviews and is tight with the Scrap Pack with the Diaz brothers. I hope she does keep winning :)- a superfight with Cyborg when she returns or Carano (hope) would bring huge attention to WMMA.
removed-userJun 30, 2012 4:33 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» what was your WORST moment as an mma fan?

GregRocks - Feb 22, 2012

20 by byoushin »»
Dec 18, 2014 1:27 PM

» Fights Where You Were Seriously Concerned For A Fighter

GregRocks - Jan 8, 2013

6 by alex_stungunace »»
Feb 11, 2014 5:25 PM

» Epic fights that you hated to watch

GregRocks - Mar 21, 2012

3 by wolffanghameha »»
Jan 3, 2014 9:21 AM

» MMA 2012.

lordzeru - Jan 3, 2013

2 by lordzeru »»
Jan 6, 2013 10:58 AM

» Your Dream Fight

GregRocks - Feb 17, 2012

11 by baboon »»
Dec 22, 2012 5:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.