Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 12, 2008 2:32 PM

Apr 2008
This is my first PHP sig. I've started to study and work on it as soon as I learned this was possible.

At last, I've made a tribute for Makoto again. A Makoto-themed PHP Sig. Thanks Forever for the idea of adding an animated GIF.

I have to fix the edges but that can wait. Anyway, Here's the sig ^^

I still have to make a matching avatar for this
SylpheedOct 5, 2008 11:23 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 12, 2008 4:53 PM
Aug 2007
Wow, nice! Good job :3
Sep 13, 2008 4:54 AM

Mar 2008
Wow! Very impressive for your first php-sig. I couldn't have done it better. ^^

Great combination of colors and the gif animation is flawless and has good quality.
php-font is readable, too.

The idea with the black "fox tail" is very creative!

Well, I suppose you also want to hear the constructive critics?

The header " Recently watching" is not correct English. "Watching" is to watch right now, but animes shown in sigs are aready watched int the past. So it would be more correct to write: Recently watched

You mentioned problems with edges. I can only see the following: the top of the GIF bubble is cut off and not round. The little bumb in the top right section of the GIF-bubble could be removed. The shadow of the animated sylpheed font is cut off at the bottom, but it's not an issue as long as you keep the club userbar in your sig. The underlining animation is not a clean line, but this could have been intentional. There is a sizing/ placement problem with the 2 images right next to the sawatari makoto font. it's not fitting.

These are only minor issues. Nothing big. ^^

But there is another problem: The last mentioned problem could result from non matching images sizes.

image top left is 463px the gif (top right) is 140 px. That makes 603px.
But the bottom GIF is only 600px. That means trouble.

But the biggest problem is the max signature rule. Those 603 px are over the 600x140px rule but the bigger problem is the 300 KB size rule.

Your scripted png-file is around 85 KB. The bottom GIF 19 KB and the big GIF is 350 KB. Makes a total of ~450 KB which is bigger than the 300 KB.

This is actually enforced if a mod will notice it (from my own experience).

Try removing some frames which are the same from the animation and play around with the time one specific frame is showing to compensate for removing frames.

But very awesome signature! I like it more than my own current one. ;-) Try showing it off in http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=4410 after you made it legal with the rules.
ForeverSep 13, 2008 5:00 AM
Sep 13, 2008 5:20 AM

Apr 2008
About the grammar, I've never thought about it. I'll be changing it ^^

Shit it was 403 pixel. Now I know what the problem is. I'll be fixing it. I'll also remove the protruding part in the upper right. Shit, I didn't notice the top's been cut off. I was very sleepy that time. An all-nighter for this sig ^^

I'll also adjust the "Sylpheed" and make it higher. Man, the effect of drowsiness really got me.

About the size, I'm still finding some way on how to optimize it. I've already removed identical frames. The gif really has many frames. I've read(in the past) that GIF can be reduced to a smaller size. Know how?

I'll show it off once I made changes.

Thanks for the good thoughts and the critics. I'll not notice it soon if you didn't pinpoint every spot.

I'm happy my 1st php sig went well. This sig will be changed after a very long time I think.

Sep 13, 2008 8:55 AM

Mar 2008
Sylpheed said:
About the size, I'm still finding some way on how to optimize it. I've already removed identical frames. The gif really has many frames. I've read(in the past) that GIF can be reduced to a smaller size. Know how?

There are many ways: Reducing the number of used colors and some other settings, that will always result in worse quality.
If you reduce everything just a little bit you could gain some KBs but don't see a difference compared to before. You just have to test this out.

But the other smart way is reducing frames, as I already pointed out. Often there are frames after each other, where nothing changes compared with the frame before. These frames can be removed. Leave only one behind and change the time accordingly.

For example: If every frame shows 11 centiseconds and you have three identical frames after each other and you remove 2 of them, you just have to set the time for the one left frame to 33 centiseconds (3x times the inital amount, because you removed 2 frames worth 22 centiseconds together). You won't notice any difference to before but filesize should have dropped significantly. Do this a few times and you might end up with an animation half the size than before.

There are also other tricks to get small GIFs. If you use a scene where nothing much is changing (f.e. always the same static background and only one character showing - moving only a little bit) you get small GIFs even with many frames. But this is not always an option because it is limiting you to special scenes in your cource material.
Sep 13, 2008 9:54 AM

Apr 2008
I have removed some not-so-essential frames. That reduced about 10 frames. I have read some tutorials in optimizing gifs. Dithers, transparency, lossy, perceptual.

From 350kb reduced to 175kb. With a total of about 300kb.

600x140 right?(That's my sig size) That means I can't add another line for a userbar?

Sep 13, 2008 11:34 AM

Mar 2008
Sylpheed said:
I have removed some not-so-essential frames. That reduced about 10 frames. I have read some tutorials in optimizing gifs. Dithers, transparency, lossy, perceptual.

From 350kb reduced to 175kb. With a total of about 300kb.

600x140 right?(That's my sig size) That means I can't add another line for a userbar?

Yes, Dithers, transparency, lossy, are reducing the image quality, but a little bit is often not crucial and can save a few KBs. Transparency is even better, but I am not really sure how this is working.

Your sig is perfect now. Nice and fast job! :)

The only thing with your new version of the sig is, that you could let the first image show for a second (the one showing her looking happily on the bag) and to let the last frame show longer (the one where she is looking shocked with the one tooth showing - before fading into the first frames again). You can experiment with showing some key frames for a longer time to create the illusion of the animation being longer without using more space and it makes it easier to watch (not so chaotic and fast), so that the user has time to get what's going on. But it's not really neccessary. Just wanted to say that this possibility exists.

Well, the rule is 600x140px PLUS one line of text, so I don't think a mod will say something against one small userbar with text next to it. Just keep it and wait if s.b. says something.
Sep 13, 2008 10:38 PM

Apr 2008
@Forever
Almost all of them are 0 sec(no delay). I'll adjust it a bit to emphasize the scenery. Thanks for spotting that again.

cyruz said I can keep one line of text but the userbar has to go.

BloodFang said:
Hahaha...
Now I'm done with my 1st sig...(^^,)

Where is it?

Sep 14, 2008 4:32 AM

Apr 2008
@Forever
I've made the animation smoother. I also added a 1 sec delay for the 1st frame (after the fading) and the frame showing her fang. I can't add delays on other frames (I've tried it) it looks very unnatural. But, what you suggested is way better than my previous animation.

I also added delays on the "Sylpheed" gif before the underlining and after it has been underlined.

EDIT: At last, a matching avatar for my sig. Mitte kudasai..
SylpheedSep 14, 2008 10:48 AM

Sep 16, 2008 2:08 PM

Jul 2008
wow. hey,is that possible to do usin gimp?

Sep 16, 2008 4:47 PM

Apr 2008
R_asuka said:
wow. hey,is that possible to do usin gimp?

Of course, as long as you have an image and the php script itself.

Apr 24, 2009 5:12 AM

Apr 2008
hey what program did you use for the animation? ive been wondering ~_~
Apr 24, 2009 8:11 AM

Apr 2008
Lol this thread became alive again.

I've only used Photoshop for all my work.

For extracting the frames, I used Virtual..what was it called again. Virtual Mod I think.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Get your Member ID here *OPEN* ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sylpheed - Dec 3, 2008

661 by _greyce76 »»
Aug 2, 2012 11:54 AM

» Makoto Tribute AMV

anime_n00b - Feb 27, 2010

7 by removed-user »»
Sep 6, 2010 6:02 PM

» Recruiting ID Uploaders

Sylpheed - Mar 6, 2010

14 by Sylpheed »»
Mar 13, 2010 6:41 AM

Sticky: » Claim an Auu~ *CLOSED* ( 1 2 )

Sylpheed - Sep 19, 2008

76 by xx-Lovely-xx »»
Nov 14, 2009 12:40 PM

» Mass Invitation Project ( 1 2 3 4 )

Sylpheed - Sep 3, 2008

151 by Sylpheed »»
Nov 4, 2009 5:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.