Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 17, 2012 7:17 PM
Jun 2009
Does any one know of a MAL plugin

I do not know why one has not been made yet ( or where the hell one might be )

XBMC knows what we have and have not watched

MAL as an API

so why has their not even been a MAL scrapper made ?

it would be awesome if MAL and XBMC could be combined somehow

I have a semi working scrapper working but no idea how to send profile changes , or if its even possible for XBMC to sent commands on completed file playback

about to post on XBMC to see if their is any such way

ps

II can never seem to get MAL Updater to work any more these days its been 2 yrs since it last picked up anything I was playing in MPC / PotPlayer / XBMC

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 23, 2012 5:12 PM
Jan 2012
I realise I replied to you already in the XBMC forum, but I figured I should post here as well just for completeness. I should also add I'm doing this because the MAL updater on linux doesn't recognise XBMC, and even if it did, it would be a pain to use (as it doesn't appear to be controllable from within XBMC or via a terminal).

Anyway, copied from the XBMC forum:

"I ran into this want myself recently, as I have always trouble remembering to update my account. So, I took a crack at it. "plugin" is a little bit kind, to say the least, right now, it's actually independent of XBMC other than calling the json rpc api, but I do plan to make it a plugin, eventually. If you want to help test it and play with it, here's the github: https://github.com/kuruoujou/XBMal

I've only tested it in ubuntu 11.10 with Eden, so your results may (and probably will, particularly with windows and mac) vary. I'll be happy to entertain feedback, though."
May 24, 2012 1:14 AM
Jun 2009
Thanks I seemed to have missed the post on XBMC

I will tinker with this really soon

one thing I was starting to mess with was a MAL updater using data XBMC stored in sql

I seem to have lost my github details .. I swear I am registered their ...

[root@FreeBSD /usr/home/XBMC/.xbmc/addons/XBMAL]# /usr/home/XBMC/.xbmc/addons/XBMAL/xbmal.py -c config
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/home/XBMC/.xbmc/addons/XBMAL/xbmal.py", line 2, in <module>
import json, jsonrpclib, os, sys, inspect, codecs
ImportError: No module named jsonrpclib
[root@FreeBSD /usr/home/XBMC/.xbmc/addons/XBMAL]#
MasterCATZMay 24, 2012 1:45 AM
May 24, 2012 10:31 AM
Jan 2012
Bah, I forgot to watch this topic.

Anyway, as right now this isn't *technically* a plugin and running independently, it relies on a few python modules that it won't need to when it gets integrated as a plugin. Based on the ImportError, you need the jsonrpclib module: https://github.com/joshmarshall/jsonrpclib. (you'll also need the json, os, sys, inspect, and codecs modules, but I believe those are all included with python by default).

In order to install the jsonrpclib module, I would first try easy_install jsonrpclib or pip install jsonrpclib, but if those don't work you can clone it from github. I have no idea if FreeBSD has a package management system, but if it does you could search for 'jsonrpclib' in the repository.

Thanks for testing this out! You'll almost certainly run into more issues, and I apologize, but I just started on it this week! I could use all the bug reports I get!
May 25, 2012 1:11 AM

Apr 2008
Glad I found this, MALUpdater seems to not work with XBMC and I often have to fight with it to get it to recognize my media, since anime and XBMC are fickle together. I built myself a HTPC that should be arriving in the mail sometime later today so once I get that up and running I'll definitely give this a shot.
Leader of Whiteout Scans
Current project: ReLIFE
May 25, 2012 12:16 PM
Jan 2012
Pawnty: Great! Glad to hear it! If you have any problems, feel free to let me know.

All: I have a new branch up in github now, the 'script' branch. This branch is what I'll be developing the actual addon version in as an XBMC Script. The master branch will still be the 'independent' version (in the sense that it doesn't run from within xbmc itself) until I feel the script version is ready to supersede it.

If you want to test the script version, I think it's ready to be tested. That said, I'm not currently able to test it myself (I'm ssh'd into my machine with xbmc and working on it remotely, so I can't test it right now), but I should be able to this weekend. It's only half-finished right now. What it *should* do is, after you add your MAL credentials in a settings screen, update MAL (using the same method, unfortunately, so check every show for updates) whenever you stop a video or playback ends. Soon it should also do it whenever the video library is updated. Although, since I haven't even tested it yet, I'm almost 100% certain that there will be bugs that prevent it from even running.

However, as it uses the same method, you'll still need to use the original script to generate a config file in the long, tedious menu-based process. The config file needs to go in the resources directory of the plugin, and it must be named config. That's the next major upgrade until I'm ready to merge back into master - make an interface in XBMC that will do that, and will try to guess what most of them are (but make the user check over them to confirm).

Also, should discussion of this take place in a different place? On the XBMC forums, here, in a different category?
May 25, 2012 4:22 PM
Jun 2009
interesting python 3.2 should have been installed

just did a basic python install and FreeBSD put on python-2.7,2
installed https://github.com/joshmarshall/jsonrpclib

FreeBSD# /usr/home/XBMC/.xbmc/addons/XBMAL/xbmal.py -c config
Error! users file does not exist. Check the README for info.

changed into the /usr/home/XBMC/.xbmc/addons/XBMAL/ directory
then ran

FreeBSD# python xbmal.py -c config
File "xbmal.py", line 219, in <module>
generateConfig(sys.argv[2])
File "xbmal.py", line 135, in generateConfig
completed = parseConfig(filename)
File "xbmal.py", line 79, in parseConfig
results.append({'xbmc':shows[0].strip(), 'season':shows[1].strip(), 'mal':shows[2].strip()})
IndexError: list index out of range

edit

removed config file ( during a quick test to rule out permission error I created a blank one

FreeBSD# python xbmal.py -c config
File "xbmal.py", line 219, in <module>
generateConfig(sys.argv[2])
File "xbmal.py", line 138, in generateConfig
tvshows = xbmc.VideoLibrary.GetTVShows()[u'tvshows']
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jsonrpclib/jsonrpc.py", line 276, in __call__
return self.__send(self.__name, kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jsonrpclib/jsonrpc.py", line 224, in _request
response = self._run_request(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jsonrpclib/jsonrpc.py", line 242, in _run_request
verbose=self.__verbose
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/xmlrpclib.py", line 1264, in request
return self.single_request(host, handler, request_body, verbose)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/xmlrpclib.py", line 1292, in single_request
self.send_content(h, request_body)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jsonrpclib/jsonrpc.py", line 122, in send_content
connection.endheaders()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 954, in endheaders
self._send_output(message_body)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 814, in _send_output
self.send(msg)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 776, in send
self.connect()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 757, in connect
self.timeout, self.source_address)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 571, in create_connection
raise err
socket.error: [Errno 61] Connection refused

FreeBSD# python --version
Python 2.7.3

sorry just doing quick try's when I have time
will move onto correct forum when I actually have more meaningful comments
( or when I can log back in .. password / account non existent again .. )

currently rebuilding car .. just doing this when I pass by pc

MasterCATZMay 26, 2012 12:18 AM
May 25, 2012 4:22 PM

Apr 2008
Probably be best for the discussion to be someone else, seeing as this club has all of five members. Get more attention in a more public area. XBMC forum seems like a good place. Whatever you decide to do just link to wherever it goes so I can follow it please :D

On another note UPS is horribly slow :( I was hoping to have my HTPC 5 hours ago but still nothing. If it doesn't come today I will be upset; driver still has ~2 hours.
Leader of Whiteout Scans
Current project: ReLIFE
May 25, 2012 6:51 PM
Jan 2012
How about we move this to the existing topic on the XBMC forum, then? It's higher in the google results anyway ^_^ http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=125866

I will answer you two here, though!

MasterCATZ: You need the users file (for the non-plugin version). The users.example file just needs to be edited with your server and login information, and then renamed to simply "users". Although, if you use the plugin, you just need to edit the settings in addons->enabled add ons->services-XBMAL.

I'm sorry to hear your HTPC hasn't arrived yet, since it's been ~2 hours since then, hopefully you have it now!

Also, I suppose this is sort of implied by my reply above, but the XBMC plugin sort of half-works now. It still requires the config file generated by the original script, but it runs automatically whenever a video is stopped or completed, as I said before, but now it's tested and works on my install! Whoo! If you have problems, send me your xbmc.log file, on the XBMC forum ^_^

Edit: MasterCATZ, I've seen your edit! Keep in mind I think we're moving discussion over to the XBMC forum, as it seems a bit better for this plugin.

As for your problem, I can't seem to reproduce it, but I see where the error is. Could you tell me a few things? First, I need to know if the "config" file exists, and if so, what's in it. Second, could you post the result of python --version? If you didn't uninstall python 3, it may be defaulting to that (though I am uncertain). Python 3 and python 2 are incompatible (more or less), and since xbmc is using python 2.4 (I think), I'm using python 2 (admittedly, 2.7, but the differences shouldn't matter between 2.4 and 2.7). I can try to debug a bit more from there.

Finally, I managed to modify the code (in the script branch) to run a bit faster, as it doesn't call MAL for each individual show anymore, only the ones that need updated. So there's that.
kuruoujouMay 25, 2012 11:15 PM
May 29, 2012 5:12 PM
Jan 2012
No one has posted for a while, but I figured I'd add this both here and on the XBMC forum topic:

I've made a new version (0.3.1) and an xbmc repository to go with it. I can't edit the xbmc wiki right now, so until that's rectified you can't add my repository using the repository installer, but you can still add it manually using the zip file. My repository is on github: https://github.com/kuruoujou/kuroshi-xbmc-repo, and the repository zip file is available here: https://github.com/kuruoujou/kuroshi-xbmc-repo/blob/master/repository.kuroshi/repository.kuroshi-1.0.0.zip. Once you add it, you can install xbmal using the 'get addons' screen in xbmc.

xbmal now uses an xml file for setup, so it's no longer compatible with the old config file, which means you have to re-run the setup script. The bright side is that once you run the setup script once, all subsequent runs (to add new shows) are literally orders of magnitude faster.

As always, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, direct them to the XBMC Mal updater plugin thread on the XBMC Forums (linked above) or use the XBMAL issue tracker (https://github.com/kuruoujou/XBMal/issues), and I'll see what I can do!

Edit: Wiki updated, the repository can now be installed from the Repository Installer addon!
kuruoujouMay 29, 2012 5:24 PM
May 30, 2012 6:44 AM
Jun 2009
Great Job

how ever having Auth issue its not accepting my username / pass .. unsure why the cmd line one worked just dandy

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<settings>
<category label="100">
<setting id="malUser" type="text" default="" label="101" />
<setting id="malPass" type="text" option="hidden" enable="!eq(-1,)" default="" label="102" />
<setting type="sep" />
<setting id="runSetup" type="action" action="RunScript(special://home/addons/script.xbmal/setup.py)" label="103" />
</category>
</settings>

settings.xml
is it meant to be here or saved in another file ?

I put usr / pass in here( default="" ) but still not accepting auth
MasterCATZMay 30, 2012 7:26 AM
Jun 12, 2012 1:10 PM
May 2012
Does MAL have an API to retrieve anime info like AniDB? I prefer the info on MAL than AniDB. Would be great if this could be used as a scraper.
Jun 16, 2012 3:43 PM
Jan 2012
Good day, sir! We've relocated to xbmc for most of the discussion (though not much has happened there recently), so I apologize for the belated reply.

Yes! MAL does have an api...sort of. There's an unofficial MAL Api at mal-api.com. It's what I use and it works fairly well.
Apr 7, 2013 4:42 AM

Jun 2012
Guess it's not compatible with Frodo 12.1 :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2013 5:49 AM
Apr 2013
Same for me.

nemnaposApr 13, 2013 5:54 AM
Apr 25, 2013 1:26 PM
Apr 2013
By the Way the Bug is in XBMC 12 and higher and not in the Plugin :(
Apr 26, 2013 8:42 PM
Jan 2012
Bah, I've not been getting emails on replies to this thread! Sorry everyone. Somebody emailed me about the error nemnapos reported, and I'm tracking it on the github page: https://github.com/kuruoujou/XBMal/issues/2

I've not had any issues so far with Froyo, and I believe I'm running release - I haven't had much time to put any development into it, after all. If everyone effected could throw their information (shows attempting to watch (if you can), OS, etc.) on the issue page, I'd appreciate it.

The email claimed he was having the same issue in XMBC 11, but if the issue is in XBMC 12, I still need to work around it somehow - perhaps it's because my version of XBMC is using python from the ubuntu repositories instead of it's own built-in interpreter, which is what the versions for Windows use. Perhaps not, I'm not entirely sure on that aspect...I haven't touched it in a while.

Basically, I need some more data, but now that I'm more-or-less done with Senior Design (and will hopefully be graduating in a week or two), I can devote some more time to making this project work and shrinking the TODO list a bit.

Again, sorry for the late reply. If you are having issues, or want to request things, the best way to do so is on the github page - it emails me right away when an issue is submitted and it's easier for me to keep track of them.

SINCE i don't think anyone's read this in the past 12 minutes, a quick update: I've changed the addon.xml file slightly to officially comply with frodo's standards, though I'm not certain that it will fix anything. If there are any adventurous (or just really helpful) users in a windows environment, could one of you try using the version currently in my github? It really should be pretty simple - copy the script.xbmal folder out of your C:Users<username>AppDataRoamingXBMCaddons (i think) directory, copy the one that's currently in github in, and then restart XBMC, and try it out. Let me know the result on github.

If no one does in a few days, I'll have some time to dig out a windows box or VM or something and try it out myself.

Thanks, all.

New update...so I just tried it myself in my windows install, and was unable to reproduce the issue running 12.1 and the latest production version of xbmal. I've made a slight change to master in github, so if anyone would be willing to help me out, could you run the version currently in github and paste your xbmc.log output to http://xbmclogs.com/? Thanks.

And as always, you can keep track of this issue on github as well.

Last edit for this issue: I closed it, so if you're still having problems, please let me know, it's probably a different issue. I'll try to keep a closer eye on this thread, too, I figured it would email me if I was watching it. Guess not. Meh.
kuruoujouMay 1, 2013 2:54 PM
Oct 22, 2013 12:12 PM
Feb 2010
If i wanna connect to mal to Save my List Or Add an entry i get The error: Could Not connect to MAL. Username Or password incorrect. But i checked them and They are correct.
Jan 17, 2014 11:49 AM
Jan 2012
Don't worry, that was an issue with the mal api I was using. If you update to version 0.4.5, it will work again.

Sorry about that.
Apr 6, 2014 5:07 AM

Jul 2009
I tried installing your repository, but nothing shows up in it. I really want to try your XBMAL add-on.
Apr 8, 2014 6:52 AM
Jan 2012
Sorry, I sent a PM to you, I'm used to forums emailing me when there's a reply, and this one doesn't, so I forget to check it.

For everyone else having this problem, I went ahead and copied the text of the PM below.

Heh, sorry about that, there's a bug in the repository that I've been meaning to fix which causes it to either vanish or makes xbmc crash (I had the latter problem for some time). I just haven't had time to fix the repo yet.

But, you can still use the zip file to install it until the repo is back, or you can stick it into your addons directory manually. Here's the github repo for xbmal: https://github.com/kuruoujou/xbmal, if you want to put it into your addons directory manually, just put the script.service.xbmal directory into your addons directory. That's the third paragraph in the usage section of that page. This is my "working" release, sort of a constant beta/alpha if you will, so it's more likely to have bugs. Having said that, this is the version I'm currently running and haven't run into issues.

Installing from zip is probably a bit easier, just download this: https://github.com/kuruoujou/kuroshi-xbmc-repo/blob/master/script.service.xbmal/script.service.xbmal-0.4.5.zip and install from zip in xbmc. That's coming from the repository itself, so it would be the same one you would install if the repository was, you know, working. This is my "slightly more stable" release. XBMAL isn't stable yet, to be sure, but this one is the one that most people will probably be able to make the most use out of.

Sorry about making this a bit harder than it should be. I'll fix the repo soon, hopefully, but until then, these are the best ways to install.

Let me know if you have problems.

Spencer
Apr 8, 2014 7:20 PM
Jan 2012
I just created and uploaded verison 2.0.0 of the repository, which should fix the problems I, and everyone else, was having. This will also point the repo from github to ramblingahoge, one of my own servers. Once you install the repo (you can do it using the repository installers addon, if you have it), everything should be automatic again, just like that.

If you have any problems, feel free to post here. If I don't respond in a day or so, go ahead and PM me, and I'll get back to you.

...aaaand I just made version 2.0.1 of the repo because I wanted to update the icon because runes are cool.
kuruoujouApr 9, 2014 6:59 AM
Apr 27, 2014 3:16 PM

Feb 2009
I have no idea how this should work. All shows are on "NO MAL Listing found" :(

Installed the repo from you website and so on. Sadly it does not work for me.

I'm glad you still update this addon. But I have no idea what the problem is. There are also "two" XBMAL addons in the program section. Deinstalled one, both disappeared ;/.
Apr 27, 2014 4:17 PM
Jan 2012
Hello Isegrim,

I'll start with the second question: I thought that was an issue that only I would have, due to having a development copy, but apparently that isn't the case. I'll take a look at that sometime soon, but having two icons shouldn't be anything to worry about.

As for the first problem, going off of what you sent in your PM (I'm going to reply to your PM as well, of course), it sounds like there might be problems looking up through the API. I just tested it myself and it looks like I'm getting empty replies, which would explain the issues. I'll look into it tonight and tomorrow, and report back what I find. It looks similar to the original issue I had when the original mal unofficial api went down.

--------update--------

Just to keep anyone following this up to date, it looks like there is some problem with ruby or passenger talking to memcached with the api. I'm not sure what broke it, I'm still looking into it. Unfortunately, my ruby skills are weak, so this might take a while. I'm going to open an issue over on github (https://github.com/kuruoujou/xbmal/issues) to keep track of it. If anyone is familiar with this at all, please let me know. Thanks!
kuruoujouApr 28, 2014 10:17 AM
May 3, 2014 12:57 PM
Jan 2012
Just a heads up, I'm going to be cutting the api to a new server here shortly. My current one is being hosted on a colocated server by a friend, but he's shutting down his servers and moving to linode, so I'm moving to a different VPS provider. In theory, nobody should notice anything except for *possibly* longer response times (by a few milliseconds), so if anything does go wrong, please don't hesitate to let me know right away. I'll be watching it, but that doesn't mean I won't possibly miss something.

In addition to moving servers, I'm also going to be switching unofficial api providers to one that's being actively maintained and updated. The interface is the same as the old one, though, so there won't need to be an update to the addon itself.

If you notice any problems, go ahead and PM me right away, or file an issue on github. This is just an informative notice. Both servers will be up for about a week to allow for DNS to flip over globally, so you might hit one or the other.

UPDATE: Well, it's been a few days since I've made the change, but there is an update available. It turns out the old API was accepting a PUSH request when it shouldn't have, so there was a bug in the myanimelist api module I was using in the addon. I've fixed it, and if you have my repository you probably have already received the update. If you're having any problems, try updating the addon to the latest version, 0.4.8. If you still have problems, please don't hesitate to contact me somehow.
kuruoujouMay 7, 2014 11:02 AM
Jul 4, 2015 4:13 PM

Aug 2012
Does this still works?
If yes, does it update episodes watch on MAL?
I never go back on my words... that's my NINDO... MY NINJA WAY!!!
Visit my deviantART Gallery
Oct 18, 2015 5:04 PM

May 2013
I just installed it and entered my details correctly. Won't update though, it says there is a problem after an episode and then when I run teh addon it fails to retrieve anything.
Oct 24, 2015 12:13 PM
Sep 2009
the addon is not updating my status here @ MAL
so im guessing that it is not working !!
Jun 23, 2016 6:41 PM
Jan 2012
Hi All!

Sorry for basically being dead for 2 years. I posted this over on the xbmc/kodi forums but here we are again:

Shortly after xbmc renamed to kodi, I switched whole-hog into plex. I'm now looking to port xbmal over to plex, but if anyone wants to take over development for xbmal, I'll help you get going.

Likewise, if interest in xbmal is still strong (if you're on windows, taiga and malu do a decent enough job I hear, but if you're in linux I'm not sure there are any decent options yet...) , I can pull it out of the ground and put it on life support, but I won't guarantee fast updates or feature releases.

Sorry once again about all of this, I probably should have posted this...well, literally years ago. It just slipped my mind and I lost track of time.
Jan 22, 2017 11:44 AM
Nov 2013
kuruoujou said:
Hi All!

Sorry for basically being dead for 2 years. I posted this over on the xbmc/kodi forums but here we are again:

Shortly after xbmc renamed to kodi, I switched whole-hog into plex. I'm now looking to port xbmal over to plex, but if anyone wants to take over development for xbmal, I'll help you get going.

Likewise, if interest in xbmal is still strong (if you're on windows, taiga and malu do a decent enough job I hear, but if you're in linux I'm not sure there are any decent options yet...) , I can pull it out of the ground and put it on life support, but I won't guarantee fast updates or feature releases.

Sorry once again about all of this, I probably should have posted this...well, literally years ago. It just slipped my mind and I lost track of time.

Hey man, I know you're busy with lots of stuff, but do you think you can get this thing to at least a working state? I'm able to install it from your GitHub and it works, but it won't synchronize with MAL since they have their new API. I know your project was done in Python, and I found someone that wrote a Python wrapper for the official MAL API. Would it be possible to use this as part of the API for your project? Here's the link to their forum post: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1533972
Jun 25, 2017 1:58 PM
Jan 2012
I'm afraid xbmal is basically a dead project at this point. I've moved on from XBMC/Kodi to Plex, which is a much better system for my usage. If you are anyone is interested in taking over the project though, please let me know and I'll do whatever I can to get you set up on it!

However, I am trying to write a more general web service to handle scrobbling from multiple sources to multiple sources, as there doesn't really seem to be anything that does that very generically right now. It's slow going, but I'll have something up at some point.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.