Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 26, 2012 3:54 AM

Jan 2012
I'm an amature at photoshop, but I thought that maybe if some people show me some of there work it might help me.

this is one of the pictures i did using paint and photoshop:

I have made more and i'm in the middle of making some backgrounds, if you want to see more go to MAL profile and click the website link, it should take you to Photobucket.

please post some of your work :3 thanks.
Feb 26, 2012 5:45 AM
Jul 2010
Effnal said:
I'm an amateur at photoshop, but I thought that maybe if some people show me some of their works it might help me.

this is one of the pictures i did using paint and photoshop:

My works could be found here, I stopped making anything, since I am too busy for that now, but I'll resume it sometime.
Lightyear8684Feb 26, 2012 5:49 AM
Feb 26, 2012 6:59 AM

Aug 2008
Might take forever to load
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=24045

Profiles (best viewed with firefox)
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=38915

If you're interested, I can give you a couple of guidelines what not to do
Feb 26, 2012 8:23 AM

Jan 2012
Kvakond said:
Might take forever to load
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=24045

Profiles (best viewed with firefox)
[url=http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=38915]http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=38915

If you're interested, I can give you a couple of guidelines what not to do

Thoes are amazing!, it would be great if you could give me afew pointers :) it might also help with the photography course i'm doing :) thanks for the post

My works could be found [url=http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Lightyear8684/]here, I stopped making anything, since I am too busy for that now, but I'll resume it sometime.

I deffently think you should make more :)
Feb 26, 2012 8:26 AM

Feb 2008
Here and here. :D
Feb 26, 2012 8:34 AM

Jan 2012
AlanViBritannia said:
Here and here. :D

very nice :) it's hard to see how people can make them look so good :P
Feb 26, 2012 10:44 AM

Feb 2008
:) Imho, hardest part of making something is the actual idea of the outcome. The "making" part is not that hard. The imagining of the end part is rapeass.
Feb 26, 2012 11:28 AM

Aug 2008
I should just link you a bunch of tutorials but I trust you can type "photoshop gfx tutorial" into google on your own, so I'm gonna walk the extra mile. I'm gonna use my own work to demonstrate good and bad examples.

0. Paint is only good for quick cropping. DON'T use it for anything other, use photoshop

1. Always have a story/message/concept/theme. You should have a story to tell, a ruff visual concept in your mind of what you want to achieve, a theme that describes your finished work even before you start it. These can change dramatically along the way, but if you start with a 'let's do something, I'll figure out what it is" mentality you'll end up with something mediocre at best

So what's your concept? You like baka to test and you like kampfer? And you put textures on top? That's not really a concept. For the time being you should pick one show (message). More on that in point 5

2. Always use the highest quality sources possible, ones that match your theme. Sometimes you don't have much to choose from and have to get creative, but if you have a choice, pick something that looks nice to begin with

3. When resizing images always keep the aspect ratio

4. Did I tell you to keep the aspect ratio? Good. Keep the ****** aspect ratio, no exceptions

5. This may change between signatures, profile layouts, etc but normally you want to have 1 main focus point. Meaning you want your viewer to look at one, maybe two points of your work. That's where you normally put your character(s). I say 'character(s)' because usually you should use one or if you really must use more you'd want to put them close to each other compared to the total size of the image.
If you put your whole image full of characters you lose focus. Less is more.

6. You can put the focus in the middle, but it's recommended to use the rule of thirds. Read:
http://www.twin-pixels.com/photoshop-and-the-rule-of-thirds/

7. Also, even if all hell breaks loose on your image, you want to keep your character clear and visible (for reasons described in point 5). You can overlay textures if you really want but do it in the background, do it around your character.

8. To achieve this you will need to use masking in most cases, and you should. Masking is one of the most important features in photoshop. Whether you prefer pixel or vector masking, learn it love it use it. No link, just google.

9. So at this point you should have a character at a focus-point and an idea of what you wanna do for the background. You can use a background image or make something from scratch. Either way brushes can be useful, either to create something or to blend your character with the background*. You can find an infinite number of custom themed brushes on the net.

*Blending here means that your character doesn't look completely out of place from the background. With some backgrounds it will be easier, with some it will be more difficult. Experiment.

10. You can and should use blending modes to..well..blend, but as always, don't go overboard and keep focus.

11. We got something going on but we are still far from perfection. What makes or breaks graphics? Colors.
Always try to keep a good grip on your colors. Read up on 'color theory' and 'color wheel' to get an idea on what to use and what not to use. You usually want to avoid rainbow puke.

12. Text. If your main focus is on the character, your secondary should be on text. Make text visible and readable. If it's not, you shouldn't put text on your image to begin with.
If you got your colors in line, you shouldn't have that much trouble picking a color. Hint: black or red are rarely good picks on a dark background. Color theory can give you good hints here too.

13. Fonts. Your font should be in line with your theme and style. Pick grungy for grunge, pick minimalistic for simple, clean images. If you have main and secondary etc text, try mixing up different fonts. Read up on 'typograhpy', serif and sans serif.

+1 Borders are usually nice. People like borders because they're an easy way to give a bit of extra contrast.

If you got all this down, practiced and practiced some more, then you can start thinking about things like using gradients to add subtle variety, keeping lights and lighting in mind, and adding depth.
KvakondJun 17, 2012 8:28 AM
Feb 26, 2012 1:34 PM

Jan 2012
This is amazing, thank you so much this should help me ALOT :) and the fact you wrote and showed examples is also amazing, i will use this info :3 and some of this made me laugh :)
Feb 26, 2012 1:40 PM

Feb 2008
@ Kvakond:
This is lotsa helpful! Thanks a lot. :)
Feb 26, 2012 2:51 PM

Aug 2008
Now, I didn't go into too much detail on purpose. I could write several other walls of text on non-destructive editing, how to use brushes, how to manage your colors with adjustment layers like hue/saturation, gradient map and levels (I suck at using curves), contrast, how to color text and how to position it.

You can google these if you want or ask me in the future but the point is to get the basics down and give you an idea of what to look out for
Feb 26, 2012 3:08 PM

Sep 2011
i made this a couple years back for my school, its really simple but i kinda grown a liking to how it turned out

keep in mind i was just starting to use Photoshop when i made these so thats why they are so meh

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 26, 2012 3:50 PM

Sep 2011
#1| Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? - Sugao

#2| Toradora! - Silky Heart

#3| Angel Beats! - My Soul, Your Beats! (still in progress)

#4| To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Dear My Friend

#5| Sola - Colorless Wind

#6| Clannad After Story - Silhouette (still in progress)
Feb 27, 2012 1:37 AM

Jan 2012
@originANIME

i like them alot, i like the toradora one:3
Feb 27, 2012 2:40 AM

Aug 2008
Oh yeah, photoshop filters... don't... unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing just don't
Feb 27, 2012 4:41 AM

Jan 2012
okay thanks, i just made my sig..it's not to great but its prob better then my old one
Feb 27, 2012 5:00 AM

Dec 2011
I am also a beginner actually I just started and I still don't understand many features of photoshop... Although I have so I can edit pictures I draw on graphic tablet...

Some of my work under spoiler (again, complete beginner)

Letters on the last one are custom made... Used 2 hours of my time to get the color right and effects...
Feb 27, 2012 5:13 AM

Jan 2012
lol i like them, deffently the rukia one XD
Feb 27, 2012 7:58 AM

Aug 2008
Effnal said:
i just made my sig..it's not to great but its prob better then my old one
Hooray! Slowly but surely

Next step is to figure out why you have lava as background. I'm guessing those are bullet holes?

@akutasame94: about your sig
Kvakond said:

4. Did I tell you to keep the aspect ratio? Good. Keep the ****** aspect ratio, no exceptions

The last pic is not so bad. How about something like this?

Feb 27, 2012 9:05 AM

Dec 2011
Kvakond said:
Effnal said:
i just made my sig..it's not to great but its prob better then my old one
Hooray! Slowly but surely

Next step is to figure out why you have lava as background. I'm guessing those are bullet holes?

@akutasame94: about your sig
Kvakond said:

The last pic is not so bad. How about something like this?

I don't really care about my sig :D

I just put it here :D

I had better one.... Might post it again :D

Ah, that's not what my friends wanted..

And are you implying that the rest are bad.... Damn... :)
Feb 27, 2012 9:24 AM

Jan 2012
@Kvakond, yeah they are bullet holes i don't know why but i had difficulty finding any good pictures :/ but thanks, your guide helped alot i also just finished another one, i don't think it's as good as the other one tho :S

Feb 27, 2012 9:44 AM

Aug 2008
@akutasame94: the only thing I'm implying is dramatic lighting over your image.

@Effnal: yeah, the kampfer one is better. your sources are low quality on the railgun image

More topics from this board

» To Heart 2 Konomi Yuzuhara (MegaHouse 1/6, 2007/2024)

MasterTasuke - Yesterday

1 by MasterTasuke »»
Yesterday, 3:10 PM

» "Molly Ringwald"

MeanMrMusician - May 3

0 by MeanMrMusician »»
May 3, 7:57 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

366 by nin-tendo »»
May 3, 12:18 PM

» Konomi Yuzuhara ♥ Innocent Maid

MasterTasuke - Dec 17, 2023

4 by MasterTasuke »»
May 3, 10:58 AM

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

19 by DesuMaiden »»
May 3, 7:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.