Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 30, 2012 5:26 PM

Jan 2012
Personally I prefer the anime Asuka...her character isn't introduced well in Rebuild and I hate her new name...I felt as if Rebuild Asuka's role was reduced even though she is one of the key cogs in the franchise in general...I guess I felt that the movie didn't do her justice? Does any one else agree?
Jan 30, 2012 5:31 PM
Mar 2011
EVA_UNIT_02 said:
Personally I prefer the anime Asuka...her character isn't introduced well in Rebuild and I hate her new name...I felt as if Rebuild Asuka's role was reduced even though she is one of the key cogs in the franchise in general...I guess I felt that the movie didn't do her justice? Does any one else agree?

we are of 100% same view on this subject
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 30, 2012 5:35 PM

May 2010
I loved both of them but I'll give the edge to Anime Asuka

The thing I liked about Rebuild Asuka was how she was very socially inhibited, much like her TV counterpart, but she began to experience feelings of change

also, her introduction couldn't have been better; the quick defeat of the angel and her standing atop her Eva while introducing herself was classic Asuka

The doll scene was pretty saddening as well, and I loved the part where she lied down next to Shinji

this is all very much in line with the idea that Rebuild picks up where EoE left off

I still have to give the edge to her anime counterpart because the character arc is quite well-done, and her performance in EoE was stellar
Jan 30, 2012 5:39 PM

Jan 2012
well by her introduction i meant after her defeat of the angel where she kicks Shinji...anyone who is watching Rebuild has seen the original (at least I hope so) so the viewer knows what her character will be like...so her attack on Shinji just seemed a bit redundant...

What I worry about is how Anno seems to want Mari to act like a new Asuka...anyone else get that vibe?
Jan 30, 2012 5:49 PM

May 2010
Mari seems incredibly strange compared to... just about every other character. Even the angels

She seems a lot like a typical plucky mecha pilot, but with some interesting personality quirks and a serious thirst for combat

I like her
Jan 30, 2012 5:54 PM

Jan 2012
Part of it is that...well...we don't know her significance in the plot yet...so I'm left wondering what exactly is she there for? I mean she is a foil to the other pilots since she actually enjoys piloting and does for herself...not for the praise of others or for approval from daddy...
Jan 30, 2012 6:01 PM

May 2010
I'm thinking we'll get a clue as to her reasons for piloting in 3.0

She was really fucking entertaining in 2.0 though
Jan 30, 2012 6:30 PM

Jun 2009
I just wanted to say: Fuck Mari this is a Asuka topic.

Well, anyway, since the movies are unfinished we'll have to see how her character arc in the movies plays out but, yeah, I definitely give the edge to the TV series here just for EoE alone.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 30, 2012 6:40 PM

Jan 2012
insan3soldiern said:

HAHA..exactly...
Jan 30, 2012 6:46 PM

May 2010
insan3soldiern said:

Well, anyway, since the movies are unfinished we'll have to see how her character arc in the movies plays out but, yeah, I definitely give the edge to the TV series here just for EoE alone.

I'm gonna be honest; her "revival" scene in EoE made me tear up

Never got that feeling from an action scene, man
Jan 31, 2012 11:25 PM

Apr 2011
Well it's difficult to compare the two. We only got to see her for a very small portion of the movie outside of moping over how close Rei was to Shinji or kicking ass. And while that itself is a little different - some may even argue a little cookie cutter - I think it was a little more... How to say it... "human", I guess? But that's not the point I meant to make.

What the movie had to do was introduce her to people who'd never seen the original series in a way that they'd get to know her really quickly. I mean, when you try to compress character development that the anime spent a handful of episodes on in like 20 minutes, they have no choice but to cut one or two corners.

If I had to say right now, I'd say that I preferred the anime Asuka. But I think it's only fair that we reserve judgement for a little bit longer.
"A teacher of mine used to say, 'Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the bull not to charge you because you are a vegetarian'."
-Harold Kushner

"A flower is weak and frail. If you try to cover it from the wind and the rain, it will die longing for the sun."
-Ai Haibara (Detective Conan)
Feb 1, 2012 5:29 PM

Jan 2012
Watched 2.22 again today and focused more on Asuka's character...at the beginning she is incredibly aggressive probably because Anno wants to establish her character early...and it actually works pretty well as Asuka's internal conflict, which isn't explored as in depth as it was in the original series, leads to her becoming softer as a character and the change is definitely more noticeable. I also noticed that Rebuild puts more emphasis Asuka's facial expressions as a way to convey her true emotions while her words mask them. Most notably in the bed scene where Shinji admits to her that he pilots the EVA for Gendo's approval and Asuka's eyes light up. Most likely because she realizes that Shinji pilots the EVA for pretty much the same reasons she does.

Also note that Rebuild gives Anno the opportunity to change the character, which would explain the name change and differences in personality (Shikinami is clearly a different animal than Soryu)...and I will admit it was nice to see Asuka happy right before she piloted Unit 03...especially after seeing her horrific mind rape and cruel/unusual death in EoE...

The change is most noticable in Asuka's treatment of Rei. Obviously, Asuka hated Rei in the original but in Rebuild she goes as far to help Rei...not only that but she basically concedes her love interest to Rei...something very un-Soryu-like...

As a nostalgia freak I typically take the older route as opposed to the newer route...so Soryu is my pick over Shikinami...Rebuild did have some good Asuka scenes...but overall Soryu's development was better (mostly because it wasn't condensed in movie form) and her character is THE classic Asuka an therefore serves as the basis for any new Asukas...Rebuild was also lacking in classic Asuka dialogue (it uses "what are you, stupid?" once and is completely lacking in gratuitous German)...not going to lie Asuka's mixing of German and English in the original series always gets me...also while ASuka's totally epic destruction of the 7th Angel was cool there is still no scene that tops her blood rage in EoE...(cracks MP EVA's spine..."ESTA!!!" as the blood washes over Unit 02)...
Feb 1, 2012 5:33 PM

Aug 2010
Series and EoE Asuka is BEST Asuka.
Feb 1, 2012 5:36 PM

Jan 2012
Also...her character development was reduced to little one liners at the ends of scenes...in Rebuild's defense however...these could be used as plot points for 3.33...then again Rebuild also seems to be letting several plot points sit on the backburner while the Shinji/Rei relationship has been the main focus of the first two films...no wonder Asuka concedes to Rei during 2.22...can't stop the director's vision...
Feb 21, 2012 10:34 PM

Aug 2010
I love both Asukas but I'll give it to the one from the anime+EOE. I guess it's a little early to judge the rebuild Asuka. I'm hoping the 3rd movie will give her much more development.
Apr 16, 2013 11:11 AM
Apr 2013
To be honest, I actually like this version of Asuka just as much as I like Soryu.

Yes, she's very different from the original Asuka, but I like that they didn't just repeat what had come before with her. I like that she actually got some development in the movie, and I like what was done with said development.

Hell, I actually like the whole revised elevator scene. It's Asuka's moment of change in my opinion, the point that Soryu never got to. She was actually able to reflect on her opinions, to see that she's not the only one fighting against the angels and putting her life on the line. In that moment, she could see that she was no different than Rei. And in doing so, could move on from her feelings for Shinji and let Rei go after him, albeit rather stubbornly.
Apr 29, 2013 12:39 AM

Jan 2013
It's a very different Asuka
Extremely hard to pick
I would say Asuka in rebuild is more badass?
probably because the modern art and color everything

If I have to pick .. I pick Asuka from rebuild, just because she got eyepatch on the 3.33
But I like Asuka from anime too
Apr 29, 2013 12:55 AM

Apr 2013
EVA_UNIT_02 said:
Watched 2.22 again today and focused more on Asuka's character...at the beginning she is incredibly aggressive probably because Anno wants to establish her character early...and it actually works pretty well as Asuka's internal conflict, which isn't explored as in depth as it was in the original series, leads to her becoming softer as a character and the change is definitely more noticeable. I also noticed that Rebuild puts more emphasis Asuka's facial expressions as a way to convey her true emotions while her words mask them. Most notably in the bed scene where Shinji admits to her that he pilots the EVA for Gendo's approval and Asuka's eyes light up. Most likely because she realizes that Shinji pilots the EVA for pretty much the same reasons she does.

Also note that Rebuild gives Anno the opportunity to change the character, which would explain the name change and differences in personality (Shikinami is clearly a different animal than Soryu)...and I will admit it was nice to see Asuka happy right before she piloted Unit 03...especially after seeing her horrific mind rape and cruel/unusual death in EoE...

The change is most noticable in Asuka's treatment of Rei. Obviously, Asuka hated Rei in the original but in Rebuild she goes as far to help Rei...not only that but she basically concedes her love interest to Rei...something very un-Soryu-like...

As a nostalgia freak I typically take the older route as opposed to the newer route...so Soryu is my pick over Shikinami...Rebuild did have some good Asuka scenes...but overall Soryu's development was better (mostly because it wasn't condensed in movie form) and her character is THE classic Asuka an therefore serves as the basis for any new Asukas...Rebuild was also lacking in classic Asuka dialogue (it uses "what are you, stupid?" once and is completely lacking in gratuitous German)...not going to lie Asuka's mixing of German and English in the original series always gets me...also while ASuka's totally epic destruction of the 7th Angel was cool there is still no scene that tops her blood rage in EoE...(cracks MP EVA's spine..."ESTA!!!" as the blood washes over Unit 02)...

Well, her development in Rebuild is a lot more...hum...softer as u said. Her whole character feels a lot more...secondary.
She's a lot more obvious in the Rebuild -as you said, her gestures- and that kind of makes me sad. Looking back at the original NGE...well, I remember Asuka was indeed introduced as the badass tsundere, but as the story moved on you could dig in her character. Overal I feel she was a lot more complex as Soryu. I loved her as a damaged child that would egocentrically try to drag all the attention towards her, masking her childish personality with an air of magnificence and arrogance. I liked how she seemed to be such a huge contrast with Shinji, but in the end she had the same motivations and wounds. It gave the two sides of the same coin, which is no matter how dominant a human being acts, mankind desires -almost morbidly- the acknowledgment of others. Even her relationships with theother characters seemed to be a lot more deep.
However, I can't hate Asuka...can I? U_U I still enjoyed to see her...with some happiness that would not be as sick as the EoE's...(god, it was scary how calmed she felt when knowing her mother was always with her...it was sick). 4.0 promises more tho.
May 1, 2013 6:46 AM

Sep 2011
Ragna92 said:
I love both Asukas but I'll give it to the one from the anime+EOE. I guess it's a little early to judge the rebuild Asuka. I'm hoping the 3rd movie will give her much more development.

Exactly my thoughts.

In my view on 2.0, it lacks Asuka but still love how her character developed.

May 13, 2013 7:06 PM

Aug 2008
Well anime Asuka was a fleshed out character on her own and could stand by herself very easily (as well as being a very complex and interesting individual). While rebuild Asuka is just used as a stepping stone for Shinji's growth and development (like all the characters in the rebuild movies). I like how this is being handled but it's not really a fair comparison.
Jan 11, 2014 11:08 AM

Aug 2013
Rebuild Asuka has a fucking eyepatch, which is pretty awesome.

Still, Series Asuka. All the way, hell, I prefer the majority of the characters from the series compared to their rebuild counterparts (with the exception of Rei, who is the only one I felt the rebuilds did a better job with).
I felt her relationship with Shinji and Misato to be far more compelling in the series, and the series also did a lot more with her character background.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Apr 6, 2014 10:25 AM

Apr 2012
Series Asuka is easily better.

I recently rewatched NGE and I realise more now why they added Mari - Asuka's seriously damaged goods by the end of it. They needed a bolshy character and Asuka's got a huge amount of baggage to everyone that's seen the series.

I hope they find some real use for the pair of them by 4.0 though.
May 4, 2014 4:34 AM
May 2014
First MAL post, woo!

Anyway, I saw Rebuild first and immediately identified with her character as the withdrawn, insecure one who relied on competitiveness and made that wonderful arc after (as someone said) the elevator scene. Actually I thought if her character died at the activation test of unit 03, it would have been a perfect ending because of the shock and tragic ending for that character. She's pretty much a cog in 3.0 unfortunately.

Anime Asuka is different; I dunno how to describe it. More childish? Her obnoxiousness and insecurity is more pronounced, and her arc is more gradual. Ultimately I find her less 'likeable' but a more explored/developed character. Her big turn comes in EoE and it's intense.

I prefer Rebuild Asuka out of personal preference, but they're both fantastic.
I don't believe in opinions. But you're entitled to if you want.

'Only a sith lord deals in absolutes.'
-A Hypocrite
Mar 1, 2015 1:01 PM
Dec 2013
Rebuild Asuka easily

anime asuka got annoying really fast
Mar 29, 2015 10:15 PM

Oct 2013
Soryu > Shikinami

Soryu has a better development and Shikinami is more badass!
I think Soryu is much better, but I like Shikinami too.
Asuka is awesome!
Mar 29, 2015 10:18 PM

Sep 2014
i like her in both
it's not like they are that much different when it comes to character, she just didn't have as much screentime in rebuilds
but she looks nice in the eye patch
also the name change is completely random to me and i don't understand the reason for it
Mar 29, 2015 10:31 PM

Feb 2015
They are both bitchy but NGE Asuka's character development is far superior than rebuilds Asuka.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Jun 27, 2009

563 by Ten »»
Apr 7, 4:15 PM

» Stop after this movie if you dont want to be disappointed

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

40 by Zero00phantom »»
Apr 2, 4:44 PM

» Mari being an insert for Hideaki’s wife

hanekawastiddi - Sep 3, 2023

6 by certainmiracle »»
Sep 4, 2023 12:00 PM

» Why They've shown Rei Nippels but didn't show Asuka Nippels?

LoliSenpai0x - Aug 6, 2020

9 by Jun_Rei »»
Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

» Shinji is gigachad

samthestan - Nov 26, 2021

6 by JohnLivelyMan »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.