Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 14, 2013 8:01 AM
Jan 2013
why is everyone so hell bent on the subbed version? i tried watching the first few episodes in subbed, and it damn near made my ears bleed... its not because i hate the voice acting or anything, but because ive developed a taste for american voice actors more than japanese... i have nothing against them, but to me, everyone sounds so much more whiny and grating on the ears in japan... Crispin Freeman gives Kyon not too deep of a voice, but low enough that all words are clear, precise, and brings a better feel to the inner monologues as well as his outward tone... same with pretty much everyone else... yes, singing has never been a strong point in any dubbed version of anything.. but how do you think youd sound trying to sing a song with words that dont translate well? not to mention i look at it in the perspective as just adding a bit more humor onto it because im sure most of you (me included) have done the epic face palm whenever a character does something royally embarrassing that you can relate to.. and through american voice acting, i get that great comedic feeling quite often, especially from this series, because i know people who actually sound like that or have done things like that... to me, it takes away the meaning when its subbed cause ive seen 7 different translations for just 1 anime before, so i feel stupid for not knowing which one is correct and since i cant understand what they are saying, i dont have anyone who sounds like that to relate it too which in turn pulls away my interest... lol im not trying to bash the subbed version, but reading how much people were bashing the dubbed version was a bit much, so i figured id level the playing field a bit.. dubbed all the way!
Jan 14, 2013 8:25 AM

Mar 2012
I agree with Hirano>Lee
However Freeman>>>>>>>>>Sugita
Besides, I never cared much for Haruhi. She had some funny moments but Kyon was what really made fall in love with the series. Crispin Freeman's natural monotone and quirky narration is what made the character for me. In comparison, Sugita makes him sound like a nerd who's trying too hard to deadpan. He's not a bad seiyuu but he's way too monotone and boring as Kyon. He lacks pretty much all of Freeman's charm.

Wendee Lee didn't capture Hirano's amazing pycho bitch Haruhi. But she still got the gist of her character. After all, as Johnny Yong Bosch said once, they're voice 'actors' not 'imitators'. Without the comparison to the sub, Wendee Lee did an amazing job. She's even a pretty good singer. Shame about the lyrics
Jan 23, 2013 3:26 PM

May 2009
I agree with Roar_said_Jesus.

Original jap voice of Haruhi is so damn cute, if not Kyon I would rewatch this serie just to listen her ;D
Jan 25, 2013 5:27 AM

Feb 2012
I personally believed the Japanese was much better. Haruhi is way worse in English. I am a fan of his work but Mr. Freeman was horribly miscast as Kyon, he sounds way too old. Mikuru isn't quite there either but she can be difficult to replicate. Nagato is okay. Itsuki's English dub is the only one I'd say is on par with his Japanese counterpart.
Jan 4, 2014 10:57 AM

Aug 2013
lol i'm literally chocking.
Jan 6, 2014 6:56 AM
Jun 2012
The sub and dub for this show are both amazing. I'm pretty darn well attached to the dub, at this point, since watching the entirety of the franchise in English last year (2013). But when it was brand new, I watched the first season with subs and loved it. But watching it in English really made me fall in love with the show, to the brink of obsession (i.e. I own all the light novels now).

It just comes down to taste, though. They're both amazing. And Haruhi is adorable in both of them, for the record. I actually went into the dub EXPECTING to hate Wendee Lee's portrayal, but I ended up loving it. Go figure.

-Arvis
Jan 25, 2014 1:53 AM

Oct 2009
I prefer the dub.

Tbh I managed to complete the entire series, including the tiresome Endless Eight arc, in the English dub. Back when I tried watching this in its original language years ago, I couldn't stay interested and subsequently dropped it after 2-3 episodes.

I think I understand why people tend to prefer the subs to the dub, even though I feel the way people degrade the dub is a bit over the top. A lot of people become accustomed to watching in its original language so when they tried watching it in English version, they find the dub horrible. Cos I find it the similar way. After being too used to watching this show in English dub, when I watch some of its clips in Japanese, I instantly stopped watching them, preferring the English version.

At the end of the day, it's up to your personal preference. But I feel it's completely unnecessary to over-criticize whichever version you don't prefer.
Feb 22, 2014 10:18 PM
Feb 2014
Dub is the way to go. I know ill probably get a lot of crap for this but I never watch anime is the Original version. If im gonna watch an Anime I need to watch it in dub version. I REALLY like the voice of Kyon in the dub version.
Feb 22, 2014 11:19 PM

Jul 2013
Both are really good, though I personally prefer the dub. Can't go wrong with voice actors like Wendee Lee, Crispin Freeman, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Michelle Ruff if you ask me.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.