Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 2, 2011 3:23 AM

Apr 2011
Overall I found the anime mostly satisfied but the only problem I have is the romance factor in it. Just because some stranger gives you an organ would you fall in love with them instantly, I mean you can be grateful but that pretty much it. Another reason is that is there not enough development between Kanade and Otonashi.

I want to know if there is a development that leads to their romance?

P.S during the anime I felt the relationship between Otonashi and Kanade is like an older brother looking after sister.(I am not sure why I felt this way, probably because she is small or its her emotionless face)
xashNov 5, 2011 7:07 AM
Nov 3, 2011 7:19 AM

Aug 2011
(Spoilers)

There's not enough development between them indeed, in my opinion =/
In fact, we could say that most of the relationships between characters are quite forced by authors... Same happens between Hideki and Yui, most of the time they are just fighting each other, and then, completely out of the blue, they love each other because of his previous life and whatever...

I don't know, I respect Maeda Jun, but Angel Beats is not what could have been.

» Escapism.

Nov 3, 2011 9:39 AM

Feb 2009
Their relationship felt... Extremely forced. I honestly didn't feel the chemistry between them and they were extremely lacking in development, but it may have been different, had they perhaps had a 24 episode series instead of 13.

But then again, I thought Otanashi had far more natural chemistry with Yuri, so meh.
Nov 3, 2011 10:00 AM

Jan 2009
No romance. Nuff said but still worth the watch although I accidentally made my cousin cry because I suggested it to him after he watched it through.
Nov 4, 2011 9:29 PM
Nov 2011
[Spoilers, Sorta]

Well, Yui and Hideki can easily (ish? well, not easy, but...simply maybe? cant think of the word im looking for) be explained, they both act kinda child-ish most of the time, and how do most children show affection or liking to someone they are interested in? They pick on them, hit them, push them in mud, torment them, etc.

And come on, are you telling me that the exact second that Otonashi suggested they try befriending/talking to Kanade (before they figured out that she was a person too, not an Angel of God trying to 'kill' them all) that they were going to end up together? :P

As far as the organ goes, well, I dont know about a kidney or a liver or anything, but I think I'd have at least a little love for someone whose heart I received, and if I found out that they were attractive and cool...who knows :P

Nov 4, 2011 9:32 PM

Jun 2009
I would say "yes", but not as main story....
Nov 5, 2011 7:17 AM

Apr 2011
Gerentex said:
[Spoilers, Sorta]

Well, Yui and Hideki can easily (ish? well, not easy, but...simply maybe? cant think of the word im looking for) be explained, they both act kinda child-ish most of the time, and how do most children show affection or liking to someone they are interested in? They pick on them, hit them, push them in mud, torment them, etc.

And come on, are you telling me that the exact second that Otonashi suggested they try befriending/talking to Kanade (before they figured out that she was a person too, not an Angel of God trying to 'kill' them all) that they were going to end up together? :P

As far as the organ goes, well, I dont know about a kidney or a liver or anything, but I think I'd have at least a little love for someone whose heart I received, and if I found out that they were attractive and cool...who knows :P

Well what you say is true but what I am trying to is that the period between Otonashi and Kanade knowing each other is too short to develop love.
Nov 5, 2011 7:31 AM

Sep 2011
not really, kinda surprising seeing who the author is, but no real romance here, theres one out of the blue but i dont think that counts either cause its fake love

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 6, 2011 3:36 AM

Sep 2011
The romance is there, but it's badly presented. You need pacing for this kind of stuff and since Angel Beats! was never a drama to begin with it kind of feels out of place. It could have worked if given a little more time. Also, the supposed romance at the end of the series is extremely arbitrary. Feels more like gratitude than love, if you ask me.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Nov 7, 2011 12:56 PM

Mar 2011
The biggest problem with the whole series I felt was that things were way too rushed. If they would have had more episodes to tie everything up and develop the characters a little more, it would have been perfect. I loved the ending but like ClaudeDante said
ClaudeDante said:
Also, the supposed romance at the end of the series is extremely arbitrary. Feels more like gratitude than love, if you ask me.

One other thing that's been bothering me since I finished Angel Beats! a few days in regards to romance was Noda. It seems illogical that, given his extreme devotion to Yurippe, he would just disappear with the rest of them knowing full well that she hadn't disappeared yet. You'd have thought he would stay around with the rest of them at the end. Not like he was a main character or anything, hence why the writers were able to sweep him under the rug, but that's just another one of those little nuances that irked me over the course of the series because there wasn't enough time to flesh things out.
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Nov 7, 2011 1:03 PM

Oct 2011
itsthatguy said:
The biggest problem with the whole series I felt was that things were way too rushed. If they would have had more episodes to tie everything up and develop the characters a little more, it would have been perfect. I loved the ending but like ClaudeDante said
ClaudeDante said:
Also, the supposed romance at the end of the series is extremely arbitrary. Feels more like gratitude than love, if you ask me.

One other thing that's been bothering me since I finished Angel Beats! a few days in regards to romance was Noda. It seems illogical that, given his extreme devotion to Yurippe, he would just disappear with the rest of them knowing full well that she hadn't disappeared yet. You'd have thought he would stay around with the rest of them at the end. Not like he was a main character or anything, hence why the writers were able to sweep him under the rug, but that's just another one of those little nuances that irked me over the course of the series because there wasn't enough time to flesh things out.

Well there were supposed to be more episodes - I think 26 if I remember.
But it had to be modified "a bit" to fit it shorter story. And that what made it much weaker.

And about the question....
there was shown probabilty of it. well two
but true one I think not
Nov 7, 2011 1:08 PM

Jul 2011
No,there was no time for that in this cramped series,it could have done much better if it was longer,(maybe 24 or 26?)and if Yurippe wasn't a total rip-off of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Changed my sig without knowing bbcode was down. Wahhh D:
Nov 8, 2011 10:07 AM

Sep 2011
FlipWhatTheZip said:
and if Yurippe wasn't a total rip-off of Haruhi Suzumiya.

This statement actually bothers me quite a bit. I'm a big Suzumiya Haruhi fan and, frankly, I don't see the connection between her and Yurippe. Sure, there are similarities, but to use words such as "rip-off" is very excessive in my opinion. Design-wise I agree they kinda look alike, but their personality is totally different. Yurippe is a more tragic character and her leadership style differs totally from Haruhi's because of the fact that Yurippe is NOT an impulsive character. The "charm" in Suzumiya Haruhi is that she never thinks about others and just does what she wants to do because she wants to do it. Yurippe actually cares about her people and wouldn't put them in harm's way if she didn't have a reason to do so. She's a more calculating type of leader, one who always plans ahead (as opposed to one who just goes and improvises everything). Good leaders always plan ahead in order to win (Yurippe), while bad leaders go to a mission first and then they seek to win (Haruhi). Therefore, I firmly believe you can't put both characters on the same level especially since their "modus operandi" are nothing alike.
ClaudeDanteNov 8, 2011 10:11 AM
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Dec 12, 2011 1:23 PM

Jul 2011
ClaudeDante said:
FlipWhatTheZip said:
and if Yurippe wasn't a total rip-off of Haruhi Suzumiya.

This statement actually bothers me quite a bit. I'm a big Suzumiya Haruhi fan and, frankly, I don't see the connection between her and Yurippe. Sure, there are similarities, but to use words such as "rip-off" is very excessive in my opinion. Design-wise I agree they kinda look alike, but their personality is totally different. Yurippe is a more tragic character and her leadership style differs totally from Haruhi's because of the fact that Yurippe is NOT an impulsive character. The "charm" in Suzumiya Haruhi is that she never thinks about others and just does what she wants to do because she wants to do it. Yurippe actually cares about her people and wouldn't put them in harm's way if she didn't have a reason to do so. She's a more calculating type of leader, one who always plans ahead (as opposed to one who just goes and improvises everything). Good leaders always plan ahead in order to win (Yurippe), while bad leaders go to a mission first and then they seek to win (Haruhi). Therefore, I firmly believe you can't put both characters on the same level especially since their "modus operandi" are nothing alike.

Hey I like Haruhi as much as the next guy. You're right there are a few differences,but with few being the key word. You're right they operate differently,with Yurippe being the tactical leader,and Ms. Suzumiya the irresponsible one and she is also more selfish. other than that,spot on.

Changed my sig without knowing bbcode was down. Wahhh D:
Feb 9, 2012 3:18 AM

Sep 2011
Hey I like Haruhi as much as the next guy. You're right there are a few differences,but with few being the key word. You're right they operate differently,with Yurippe being the tactical leader,and Ms. Suzumiya the irresponsible one and she is also more selfish. other than that,spot on.

Turns out those few differences are, actually, quite important. The fact that they permit to differentiate their modus operandi and their personality feels enough to me. In the end, it's just my opinion, but I defend it: I don't agree at all with the fact that people don't even compare them, they say they are one and the same. That is simply not true.

Feb 9, 2012 3:27 AM

Dec 2011
back on topic...

Romance was not developed well, but from the beginning of the show it was visible that Otonashi was attracted to her. He always turned his head for her, never wanted to fight her. Then you have those scenes in hospital, and ending was just final part of it.

Surely it would be better if anime lasted longer but this isn't bad at all...
Feb 10, 2012 7:31 AM

Sep 2011
akutasame94 said:
back on topic...

Romance was not developed well, but from the beginning of the show it was visible that Otonashi was attracted to her. He always turned his head for her, never wanted to fight her. Then you have those scenes in hospital, and ending was just final part of it.

Surely it would be better if anime lasted longer but this isn't bad at all...

I was actually quite pleased with the manga based on the series: Angel Beats! Heaven's Door. It's not a sequel, but it gives some backstory to the anime. I've also heard that Yui's seiyuu jocked that there would be a second season with Yui as the main character. Don't know if the latter is true (I seriously doubt it!), but a second season doesn't seem too far-fetched. Maybe a spiritual sequel: same universe, different characters.

More topics from this board

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Apr 29, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.