Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 12, 2011 9:07 AM
Dec 2010
So what's better to watch?
The movies or TV series of Neon Genesis Evangelion?
Some say that the TV series is better from the movies and other say that the movies are better and that the TV series is a complete waste of time.
I was wondering what is true... Should I watch solely the movies orsolely the TV show or both?
Sep 12, 2011 9:08 AM

Aug 2010
Petit Eva Evangelion@School>Series

Haven't seen the films yet.
Sep 12, 2011 9:13 AM
Dec 2010
KeiranShikari said:
Petit Eva Evangelion@School>Series

Haven't seen the films yet.

Have you seen the TV show? Is it good?
Sep 12, 2011 9:17 AM

Dec 2010
This should be your viewing order:

TV series (Director's Cut)
Death and Rebirth (optional, this is just a summary movie of the TV series, a little bit of EoE, and some new music)
End of Evangelion (considered an alternate ending to the TV series or both run concurrently, depends on theory)

Rebuild of Evangelion (Either a reboot with different story or a sequel, depending on theory, should watch 1.11 etc. instead of 1.01 because 1.11 is the complete version with redrawn scenes and reworked lighting and additional scenes)
Sep 12, 2011 9:57 AM
Dec 2010
notsureifsrs said:
This should be your viewing order:

TV series (Director's Cut)
Death and Rebirth (optional, this is just a summary movie of the TV series, a little bit of EoE, and some new music)
End of Evangelion (considered an alternate ending to the TV series or both run concurrently, depends on theory)

Rebuild of Evangelion (Either a reboot with different story or a sequel, depending on theory, should watch 1.11 etc. instead of 1.01 because 1.11 is the complete version with redrawn scenes and reworked lighting and additional scenes)

Do you have a site with good download of the TV show? (eng subbed not double audio torrent\direct?)
can't I watch RoE 1.01 as well? ot is it to lame and to much waste of time?
Sep 12, 2011 10:00 AM

Aug 2009
I like the tv series but I hated how it ended. I didn't care for Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion. Petit Eva: Evangelion@School is somewhat okay. I do love 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone, and 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone. And when the others come out and there are dubs I will watch those, I just hope they do not end like the tv series.
Sep 12, 2011 10:03 AM

Jun 2009
Just watch it all, end of story. Make your own judgement on whether the series or movies are better. To me, I think Rebuild and the series are both good. I think Rebuild is taking the story in a different direction though and I just can't agree with all the comparing and contrasting considering the movie series ISN'T even finished yet...so it could go either way, really. That said, I prefer the Tv serie+ EoE so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 12, 2011 10:16 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, watch both the show and Rebuild. The movies have better animation (well duh) and especially the 2nd one was pretty epic. But at the same time they really cut in the character development part (at least so far), maybe because they don't have enough time to show it. Considering the really controversial characters and their psychological traits were one of the major reasons the original is still being talked about today, I don't really like this.

On the other hand there are tons of people out there who hated the show for exactly those reasons and consequently consider the Rebuild movies to be better. So far they are easier to get, at least when it comes to all that psychological stuff that was so prevalent in the series. The series also had alot of experimental stuff going on, the movies are more straightforward.

The 2nd Rebuild movie made alot of changes to the plot so it's worth watching both for that reason alone.
Sep 12, 2011 10:59 AM

Oct 2010
the movies are terrible compared to the anime story-wise lol

they cut off so many important moments from the anime, and they kept some useless ones, they also wasted so much time for that new chick which is hot but yeah her role / she didnt do anything at all it was just waste of time to put her on

The series> the movies, DEFINITELY~~ the first movie was ok, the 2nd not that much.

THey've also changed Asuka's personality (and made her much worse) in the movie.

the only good things for the movies > the art and the world, in tv series(made in 95) the world seems pretty dumb (the story is in "our" time) and pretty "distant" , but in the movie it looks much better/ more realistic
lots of music -
Sep 12, 2011 11:51 AM

Jun 2008
The TV series first along with the movie End of Evangelion at the end. Death and Rebirth isn't really necessary.

Then watch the new movies. The new movies are more about action than psychological factor(you can say they are more swallow but with better technical department because of their age), so you need to watch the TV series first because differently the whole atmosphere of the TV series will be ruined if you already know staff. On the other hand that doesn't go as much for the movies because they are more about action and action will be fun anyway.

Advice before watching Evangelion: First watch it alone. Watching it with a company while eating commenting and laughing destroys the experience. Second try to empathize with characters and it will be actually better if you ain't in a very happy mood when watching. Happy mood makes it harder to empathize with them. You have to get a little of their mentality.
Sep 12, 2011 12:00 PM
Jul 2018
Watch the series now. So far there's only been 2 movies so it's hard to judge if one is better than the others. And if you go with the Rebuild movies...you're gonna have to wait at least another 4 years til the ending. Not so fun.
Sep 12, 2011 1:38 PM
Dec 2010
Okay, so I decided to watch the TV show first then End of Evangelion but I also want to watch ALL of the movies as addition, in what order do I need to watch them?
And BTW what is the full list of Evangelion movies (movie = whatever is not part of the TV show)?
I understood that EoE more or less like a different epilogue to the TV show, right? So what is Death and Rebirth & Rebuild of Evangelion?
Sep 12, 2011 1:55 PM

Jul 2011
You should watch both, but the TV series first. Personally, I liked the movies better.
Sep 12, 2011 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
NG Evangelion (TV) then End of Evangelion movie

Death and Rebirth is a TV movie RECAP so ignore it.

The Rebuild (remake) movies are the ones marked Evangelion 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0.
Sep 12, 2011 2:06 PM

Sep 2008
Don't bother with the series it's an over glorified baby's first "2 DEEP FOR YOU" anime

The movies are better in every single aspect.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Sep 12, 2011 2:31 PM

Jun 2009
Jigero said:
Don't bother with the series it's an over glorified baby's first "2 DEEP FOR YOU" anime

The movies are better in every single aspect.

See, I'm going to disagree here. Whether you like the series or not, I really do believe that this is one of those series that should be watched by pretty much anyone into anime. Not just because of it's importance, but because if it "clicks" with you it will stay with you.

And, again, you can't really say for sure which of the versions are better because the movie series isn't even finished.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 12, 2011 2:55 PM

Jan 2008
The series and the Movie are different... are they not? I recall 1.0 having same scenes but 2.0 is fairly different and from what I've seen, 3.0 will be completely different from the original.

Just watch both.
Sep 12, 2011 3:05 PM

Aug 2011
The Series > the movies imo, but that's just because 1 scene who everyone who has seen End of Evangelion here knows when I adress it, ruined the main character of the show. Lol what were they thinking xD? And the only reason they made End of Evangelion was because people thought the series original ending was too vague. But that was the original idea of the series and it should be viewed as the true ending for that reason.
Just making up different endings for shows kind of ruins it, I didn't like it for Kimi ga Nozomu Eien either. They should stick to their decisions and not let the fans just decide what happens.
Sep 12, 2011 3:37 PM

Oct 2010
movie guy - troll/attention whore/tard

take a pick
lots of music -
Sep 12, 2011 3:53 PM

Jun 2011
The series plus EoE > Rebuild, but Rebuild is pretty good too.
Sep 12, 2011 4:46 PM

Jul 2011
First start with the original series then move onto the movies. Cause they are different in their own ways but always its best to play it safe by watching the original first.
Sep 12, 2011 8:37 PM

Dec 2010
I'm also gonna input that while the D & R movie isn't exactly necessary the OST for it is fantastic.

There are plenty tracks not present in the series and EoE so check it out too.
Sep 12, 2011 10:58 PM
Jul 2011
Having seen the show first the series first and then the movies, I can only speak for my own experience, watching the movies already knowing everyone's backstory increased my enjoyment of it thoroughly because I could appreciate all of the subtle touches the movie included. I also derived great pleasure from identifying the small changes between the movies and TV show and what they could potentially mean for the rest of the story or the characters. I would like to point out that Hideaki Anno probably made the movie knowing half of the world (the anime parts of it anyway) have already seen the show, so I don't know how much information he included only elliptically.

Either way, they are both good enough that they deserve a viewing on their own merits.

PS: I say watch both, but watch the show first because it worked pretty well for me (you also might want to watch the show first so that you can catch the in-jokes in the movies).
Sep 12, 2011 11:19 PM

Jul 2010
I'm sure a lot of eva fans would agree that the movies can never really replace the original series. It's not something you should skip over, no. (especially with certain hints placed in 1.0 and 2.0 that the movies could in fact be sequels).

That being said, it goes like this:

Watch original series
Feel free to skip Death and Rebirth
Watch End of Evangelion
Feel free to skip Evangelion 1.0
Watch Evangelion 2.0

Wait for Evangelion 3.0.
Feb 8, 2015 10:50 AM

Mar 2012
Narmy said:
The series plus EoE > Rebuild, but Rebuild is pretty good too.

Exactly. I think that the reboot is just a try to make more money out of the famous title, nothing more.
Mankind’s greatest fear is Mankind itself.
Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

REAL LIFE Anime videos on my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCof9ppdHcniLAS_pFoRkqfw

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Apr 24, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.