Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 5, 2008 5:44 AM

Jun 2007
Is it just me or is this manga extremely confusing to follow? At the start it was pretty easy to follow. We knew the basic plot, we knew who was bad and the goals of both sides, but now after 115 chapters I find my self confused as hell with whats going on. Every time I think I understand whats going on they toss something else in the mix. For example at the start we knew the enforcement group was the bad guys, then all of a sudden F showed up then, then white feathers, and now red feathers...it's just getting really confusing who the hell is good or bad and what their motives are. The whole trip to the past with Aya didn't help matters either. Now we have red feather kids that are ancestors..etc. At some point it would have been nice if the manga creator made a diagram of who's relatedto who.

As interesting as this story is, it feels like the creator had one solid idea at the start then started adding other story ideas as he made the manga. So it feels like theres 3 different mangas all rolled into one (confusing!).

Anyway, I still like the manga and characters I just wish I understood more about who's related to who and what each faction or branch's goals are (F, Red feathers, white feathers, 12 founding family's, ancient people in the past..etc).
Jul 5, 2008 6:03 AM
Jul 2018
This is Oh Great! we're talking about.

It's not an issue of his story being hard to follow... it's an issue with it not making much sense to begin with.

His stories always start simple and then things just spiral into total confusion as it seems like he just tries to drag it out. At that point, it really does become an issue style over substance. I just read his work for the fabulous art and just let the story slide.

Just look at the other manga he currently has running. Air Gears started with a very simple premise and was looking like it would be rather straight forward sports-shounen. Now, the story is totally out of control.

I constantly wish he would find a way to make his mangas shorter and sweeter. That way, it'd be easier to enjoy his art and we wouldn't have to deal with his contrived plots.
Jul 5, 2008 6:07 AM

Apr 2008
Seriously...
for an example, Air Gear is made by Oh! Great also.
first, it starts simple and fun, then once it pasts chapter 100, everything starts not making sense, and gets tooooooo crazy...i felt the same for tenjou tenge.

i can't even follow anymore.

Jul 5, 2008 10:43 AM
Jun 2007
I'll be honest with you, as much as I love this manga right now, at one point, I did find Tenjou Tenge to be very confusing. like you said, the introduction of different factions one after another certainly does not help in clearing things up. instead of adding direction to the story, we have more characters to deal with. and that's right after the long and tedious arc focused on Maya and Mitsuomi's high school melodrama.

it took a lot of patience out of me, but I gave this manga a chance. the story didn't really make sense to up until the beginning of volume 16 (the end of the feudal flashback arc). ever since then, it felt like everything started falling into place. the events from 2 years before the main storyline was just the tip of the iceberg. the everything was planned ahead by Ichiyou Nagi, brilliant. at certain points in the manga, it was hinted that the events of the main storyline were predetermined.

with a little backtracking of the story and some light reading of the story of Izanagi's children (Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi and Susanoo), a reader can get a grasp of the gist of Tenjou Tenge's latest developments.

BTW, I started reading Air Gear after reading this one. I didn't find Air Gear to be confusing at all since Air Gear's story is derived from Tenjou Tenge. the whole "reuniting scattered piece to become whole again" is used in Air Gear (jeez, Oh! Great needs to think up of another premise if he plans to right another manga after these 2).
avrcJul 5, 2008 1:16 PM
Jul 5, 2008 1:13 PM

Jun 2008
It's more like, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to begin with, maybe it's the problem with translations but lately chapters are just written that mostly have nothing to do with plots happened prior to the new chapter while introducing new concepts of whatever the characters were developing that we had no clue about. (Or maybe he will link it in a later chapter) Meh, everything else is already said prior to this post.
Jul 5, 2008 4:24 PM

Jun 2007
Avarice said:
I'll be honest with you, as much as I love this manga right now, at one point, I did find Tenjou Tenge to be very confusing. like you said, the introduction of different factions one after another certainly does not help in clearing things up. instead of adding direction to the story, we have more characters to deal with. and that's right after the long and tedious arc focused on Maya and Mitsuomi's high school melodrama.

it took a lot of patience out of me, but I gave this manga a chance. the story didn't really make sense to up until the beginning of volume 16 (the end of the feudal flashback arc). ever since then, it felt like everything started falling into place. the events from 2 years before the main storyline was just the tip of the iceberg. the everything was planned ahead by Ichiyou Nagi, brilliant. at certain points in the manga, it was hinted that the events of the main storyline were predetermined.

with a little backtracking of the story and some light reading of the story of Izanagi's children (Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi and Susanoo), a reader can get a grasp of the gist of Tenjou Tenge's latest developments.

BTW, I started reading Air Gear after reading this one. I didn't find Air Gear to be confusing at all since Air Gear's story is derived from Tenjou Tenge. the whole "reuniting scattered piece to become whole again" is used in Air Gear (jeez, Oh! Great needs to think up of another premise if he plans to right another manga after these 2).

ya, introducing the factions one after another and also the names of people are whats messing me up. After the flash back ark I understood the basics of whats going on but I have no idea who's related to who from the past and present or who's supposed to be good or bad. The current chapters are starting to make sense but I feel that will change in a few chapters.

Ya I agree with you guys, the character design for the women is nice eye candy. The story isn't half bad I just wish it was more clear and less rushed. The whole beginning ark was slow and easy to follow then the other groups started getting tossed in our face and still more and more and more, it was an overload of information for me.

I haven't read Air Gear or watched the anime yet. I do have plans to once I make some free time for it.
Jul 21, 2008 10:51 AM

May 2008
I read most of it from 1-114, then had a couple weeks break, and now reading 115,116, i have no idea who the hell the girl with the eyes sown shut is, or her brother, or the guy kicking the bag with the swollen foot. I only remember the cliffhanger from when masataka busted in on bunshinchi vs mitsuomi(as you can tell, i dont care too much for the other side filler characters). I have no idea what nagi is meant to be doing either except kicking someones ass.. lol. i gave up trying to understand it during the longass flashback historical arc. Too much characters and bogus plot, but the action is nice when they are fighting, just skip the details. As they say, a picture tells a thousand words! Just make up your own story :p
ex0Jul 21, 2008 10:54 AM
Jul 21, 2008 3:47 PM

Jun 2007
I'm guessing this is why they never continued the anime show lol The producers where probably like wtf just happened to the story.

Anyway, I was thinking about making a visual diagram of who's related to who and who's against who. So I'm looking for people that actually understand the story and can give me a decent family tree.
Jul 21, 2008 4:36 PM
Jun 2007
DeathfireD said:
Anyway, I was thinking about making a visual diagram of who's related to who and who's against who. So I'm looking for people that actually understand the story and can give me a decent family tree.

You mean something like this? I'm hoping Oh! Great would make a diagram for TenTen. or he probably has, but wasn't included in the scans available online. I fear for my sanity if I take on the task of making one. @_@

Jul 21, 2008 4:53 PM

Jun 2007
Avarice said:
DeathfireD said:

You mean something like this? I'm hoping Oh! Great would make a diagram for TenTen. or he probably has, but wasn't included in the scans available online. I fear for my sanity if I take on the task of making one. @_@

ya except less confusing. And ya, the author has made a few charts. I have 3 already but it's hard understanding without it being in English. Although one of them does use color to its a little simpler to tell that its a love relationship chart lol.

I'll try making one large chart displaying family relationships, love interests, and who's an enemy of who.
Aug 24, 2008 8:20 PM
Aug 2008
I don't find anything that confusing too me everthing they say in do kind of falls into place of something bigger(kengo ichyuu nagi's plan).Also F is/was part of mitsumi's team you know that is where souhaku comes in.In my opion Air gear is way easier to follow for me though,only question have is how an idiot with a wang the size of a babies pinky got 3 babes to like him that is my question.Tenjou tenge uses many japanese fole tales and legends so that is why it is hard to follow it but i know some of the japanese legends so that is why it is hard to understand,i will try to clear up anyones questions
kaiser76Aug 24, 2008 8:25 PM
Aug 24, 2008 9:17 PM

Jun 2007
kaiser76 said:
I don't find anything that confusing too me everthing they say in do kind of falls into place of something bigger(kengo ichyuu nagi's plan).Also F is/was part of mitsumi's team you know that is where souhaku comes in.In my opion Air gear is way easier to follow for me though,only question have is how an idiot with a wang the size of a babies pinky got 3 babes to like him that is my question.Tenjou tenge uses many japanese fole tales and legends so that is why it is hard to follow it but i know some of the japanese legends so that is why it is hard to understand,i will try to clear up anyones questions

It's not the folk tails at all, that's confusing, or the fact that theres even demons in the story. It's the relation everyone has with each other thats confusing. The groups are all associate with Mitsumi's family however it's hard to tell who's bad, who's good, who switched sides, and why they're fighting a specific branch of the family, who's kid is who's...etc. It's just all thrown at you in one gigantic ongoing battle.
Aug 27, 2008 10:43 PM
Aug 2008
the relation wat do u mean everyone in the takanagi family dislikes mitsumi the father hates him but they have a commo goal to make the ultimate warrior so they are using each other. there is no good or bad in my opnion it is on how everyone sees things.The people following mitsumi believe that he is correct,their leader,and are willig to die for him.all the families follow mitsumi ,execpt the nagi's because i kind of figured they have been fighting for years and the natsume for obvious reasons.the only bad person is souhaku.Tawara(the guy who smokes and got killed by mitsumi )still is freinds with him but believes the things who is doing are dumb and stupid.i think that is it.
Aug 27, 2008 10:55 PM

Jun 2007
kaiser76 said:
the relation wat do u mean everyone in the takanagi family dislikes mitsumi the father hates him but they have a commo goal to make the ultimate warrior so they are using each other. there is no good or bad in my opnion it is on how everyone sees things.The people following mitsumi believe that he is correct,their leader,and are willig to die for him.all the families follow mitsumi ,execpt the nagi's because i kind of figured they have been fighting for years and the natsume for obvious reasons.the only bad person is souhaku.Tawara(the guy who smokes and got killed by mitsumi )still is freinds with him but believes the things who is doing are dumb and stupid.i think that is it.

I used to believe that until all the other branch family's where introduced then slowly started to have their own agendas. Most if not all claim they follow Mitsumi but then after a few chapters they become enemy's or vis versa. So it's very confusing. I wish it was all black and white like that. Then I wouldn't have to re-read the same few chapters over and over again.
Aug 28, 2008 1:39 PM
Jun 2007
kaiser76 said:

just a little mistake that I'd like to point out. Mitsuomi's ultimate goal is the eradication of the Special Abilities. His goal coincides with his father's goal, Dougen, who wished for the birth of the True Warrior and create an army using it as a foundation.

I got the impression that the only families (or heads of the family) that support Mitsuomi are Madoka (of the Mawari clan) and Tetsusen (Ishiyumi clan). the other White feathers were following Sohaku's orders to aid Mitsuomi. Tetsuhito Kagiroi was never loyal to Mitsuomi in the first place since he has been Sohaku's lackey since the feudal era. Kabuto seemed like he was coerced and had no choice but to follow Sohaku since his skin was on the line. Tsumiji Mataza got me confused though about his alignment. He claims that he despises the Red Feathers, yet, he is a member of F who follows Sohaku.

as for the other Red Feathers, it seemed to me that both Kabane and Shyojou are just cooperating with Mitsuomi, not actually following him. Kabane never held any ill-will towards Aya or the Jyuukenbu. But if he and Shyoujou joined hands with the the other 2 heads of the Red Feathers (Natsume and Nagi) like their ancestors did 400 years ago, they would be caught up in the drama between the Enforcement Group and Jyuukenbu.
Aug 28, 2008 2:09 PM

Jun 2007
Avarice, just out of curiosity, after reading your post. I noticed you said something about Natsume and Nagi being red feathers, what color is Masataka's family?
Aug 28, 2008 2:32 PM
Jun 2007
DeathfireD said:
Avarice, just out of curiosity, after reading your post. I noticed you said something about Natsume and Nagi being red feathers, what color is Masataka's family?

to be quite honest, I'm not so sure myself. the Takayanagi clan is neither a White Feather nor a Red Feather. nor was it implied that they belong to either branch.

both Red Feathers (Nagi, Natsume, Kago, Kabane, Shyoujou and Hotaru) and White Feathers (Tsumuji, Mawari, Kabuto, Ishiyumi, Kagiroi and Wani) are direct descendants of Susanoo from 200 years ago. on the other hand, the relation of the Takayanagi clan to Susanoo is still unclear. I've re-read the series a bunch of times and the conclusion that I've come up with is that the Takayanagi clan is a retainer of Susanoo. this aspect of the story is still one I can't wrap my mind around. @_@
Aug 28, 2008 2:59 PM

Jun 2007
Avarice said:
DeathfireD said:

to be quite honest, I'm not so sure myself. the Takayanagi clan is neither a White Feather nor a Red Feather. nor was it implied that they belong to either branch.

both Red Feathers (Nagi, Natsume, Kago, Kabane, Shyoujou and Hotaru) and White Feathers (Tsumuji, Mawari, Kabuto, Ishiyumi, Kagiroi and Wani) are direct descendants of Susanoo from 200 years ago. on the other hand, the relation of the Takayanagi clan to Susanoo is still unclear. I've re-read the series a bunch of times and the conclusion that I've come up with is that the Takayanagi clan is a retainer of Susanoo. this aspect of the story is still one I can't wrap my mind around. @_@

So in the end they should just kill Masataka's family, rip out Nagi's possessed eye and run free lol
Aug 28, 2008 3:11 PM
Jun 2007
DeathfireD said:
Avarice said:
DeathfireD said:

So in the end they should just kill Masataka's family, rip out Nagi's possessed eye and run free lol

LMAO. haha, I'd love to see that happen. Bob would grab Soichiro's eye (Sohaku) and stomp on it, and they'll live happily ever after.
Sep 24, 2008 10:40 AM

May 2008
I love how he spent 4 or so volumes on that incredibly stale flashback. If you don't care about things like plausible plot progression, have no regards for story telling and are able to find enjoyment in the most nonsensical dialog only found in this industry..
Go right ahead and read this

The action scenes are often convoluted, and the art which gets so much praise, is lost under all the rubble. Can barely make out what's going on in a lot of fights.

Heh, It almost felt like I was talking about an Oku manga... I wonder why.
alarmedOct 2, 2008 12:06 AM
Nov 19, 2009 2:39 PM

Feb 2008
i lost the story line at chapter 117
Dec 28, 2009 5:23 PM

Mar 2008
I think the dialog might just seem convoluted because the translation is bad.

Or, it could be that his writing just doesn't make sense. Who knows?
Nothing
Jan 14, 2010 7:34 AM

Jul 2009
Well i lost the story line on chapter 91... I think i need to start reading again from chapter 60 or so....
ʕ • ᴥ • ʔ
Feb 1, 2010 6:01 AM

Sep 2007
well i'm not really confused, i just sometimes read the same chapter twice to gasp the story lol.

[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/_Haru&sclick=1]
Nov 21, 2010 10:37 PM

Jul 2010
Yes, it is confusing, I have no idea what the hell are gravity children and why they are created.

Dec 17, 2011 6:38 AM
Nov 2011
My confusions
Mitsuomi and Nagi had a agreement not to attack each other right? but Masataka is a takayanagi so that means any attack on Masataka could be considered a breach of the agreement. Bunshici is not a takayanagi so the agreement didn't bind him at all so why he didn't help Jyuken?
Why Jyuken got beaten up while all Mitsuomi did throughout the manga was closing his eyes , he might have been sleeping all the time lol
I came up with a theory that actually Mitsuomi is in a dire financial situation and his only lifeline is the money that Nagi gives him, what do you think guys?
Apr 14, 2012 5:06 AM

Mar 2009
Yeah the later chapters were confusing and the manga would've been way better without them.
May 20, 2012 1:42 AM

Jun 2010
Every chapter that came out I had to reread the previous chapter. Eventually even the previous chapter didn't make sense and I was just lost -_-
Jun 11, 2014 9:15 AM

Apr 2011
My problem with it is that I have absolutely no idea what the character motives are, I'm currently 85 chapters in and everything seems to happen for the sake of happening. We just get cheesy poem style dialogue and it doesn't help at all. Maybe it's because the translation sucks or simply impossible to translate...
Jan 10, 2016 5:01 PM

Nov 2012
I'm on CH 88.. yeah the plot got crazy and super convoluted alright with all these different family group explanations and historical flashbacks . Action and artwork are still really top notch though.
Mar 25, 2019 6:41 PM

Jan 2013
glad im not alone with these sentiments. this manga is a clusterfuck both translation and storywise. but i still enjoyed it up to ch90 then i stopped caring altogether and just speedread the rest without paying much attention.
May 31, 2020 9:46 PM
Apr 2020
Confusing and also depressing cause one of the main character has to die.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenjou Tenge Chapter 136 Discussion

lohithatn - Aug 21, 2010

34 by HibiChika »»
Feb 27, 2023 12:13 PM

Poll: » Tenjou Tenge Chapter 131 Discussion

avrc - Feb 22, 2010

3 by HibiChika »»
Feb 27, 2023 9:11 AM

Poll: » Tenjou Tenge Chapter 126 Discussion

Ishmael - Sep 18, 2009

4 by HibiChika »»
Feb 27, 2023 7:19 AM

Poll: » Tenjou Tenge Chapter 122 Discussion

Ishmael - Mar 8, 2009

9 by HibiChika »»
Feb 27, 2023 5:23 AM

Poll: » Tenjou Tenge Chapter 121 Discussion

Laurentius - Feb 16, 2009

6 by HibiChika »»
Feb 27, 2023 5:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.