MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Monster: Dub vs Sub - a comparison

Poll: Which do you think was better?


#1
06-29-11, 12:32 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 8295
Monster is probably one of my favorite Anime out there, so much that it was the first item (I think it was...) I added to my list when I joined this site.

I have seen both the Dub and Subs and here is what I think for everyone else who is having a hard time deciding. I liked the subs better personally

*Note: 'Subs' in the poll refer to the original Japanese VA with English Subs and 'Dubs' refer to the English Dub

Reasons why the subs are better than the dub



  • Johan

    • Dub: Honestly I don't like Johan's voice one bit in the dub. He has a sinister tone, but it felt like a regular antagonist's voice to me. Johan is NOT your average antagonist.

    • Sub: What made Johan's voice so successful in the original was the innocence in Johan's voice. The innocence in Johan's voice also added to Johan's twisted mentality of life. A true Monster

  • Anna

    • Dub: It was just bad. Anna's voice in the dub made her looked like a robotic Barbie doll

    • Sub: It was decent, nothing special, but still beats the dub because it sounded human


  • Lunge


    • Dub: Alright, Lunge's voice in the Dub wasn't terrible. It more or less portrayed his original character with a about 70% of success. It was just okay

    • Sub: Lunge's voice in the original sounded deep and fitted his persistent and stubborn (not to mention funny sometimes) personality. A voice truly fitted for a detective.



  • Grimmer

    • Dub: His voice was on par with the original, although at times he kinda sounds like Goofy lol

    • Sub: Same as Dub



  • Eva

    • Dub: Same as Grimmer, I thought Eva's VA did a fine job expressing her obnoxious personality and attitude.

    • Sub: Same as Dub



  • Tenma

    • Dub: I really disliked Tenma's VA in the English. It just isn't as good as the original. His English VA doesn't exude the same innate kindness as the Japanese VA does that Naoki intended for Tenma

    • Sub: I absolutely LOVE Tenma's voice in the original, it just fits his character in every aspect.



I have made a poll so other fans could decide as well. I don't want to make this sound like a one-sided argument.





Modified by Confucius, 07-18-11, 9:01 AM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
 
#2
06-29-11, 12:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 19728
It should be noted that you aren't actually comparing the English subs to the English dub, but in fact the Japanese dub to the English dub.

Remember, I can watch something with English subs and the audio muted.
 
#3
06-29-11, 6:46 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 8295
Onibokusu said:
It should be noted that you aren't actually comparing the English subs to the English dub, but in fact the Japanese dub to the English dub.

Remember, I can watch something with English subs and the audio muted.


I thought about that but then I realize "dub" means replacing the original.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
 
#4
06-29-11, 6:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 19728
Confucius said:
Onibokusu said:
It should be noted that you aren't actually comparing the English subs to the English dub, but in fact the Japanese dub to the English dub.

Remember, I can watch something with English subs and the audio muted.


I thought about that but then I realize "dub" means replacing the original.


Only audio-wise, though.
 
#5
07-18-11, 9:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2831
Sadly, it's better in Japanese. I blame its recording studio for being a piece of inept trite.
 
#6
06-18-14, 8:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1410
Anna and Johan's voice in the dub and sub were basically the same, besides the inherent different sound of each language. Johan sounded just as innocent in the dub to me as he did in the subbed version.

Also to Lunge, I actually thought the dubbed voice he had far better fit his character than the deep and gruntled voice of the sub. Both are good, but the dub is a better fit in my book.

And finally for Tenma, I thought both expressed the "innate kindness" very well. I still like the dub voice more though, but the sub is good as-well.

The subs and dubs for this show are surprisingly on par compared to other shows.
Modified by Piegoose, 07-23-14, 4:49 AM
 
#7
07-22-14, 9:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 12
I have watched up to episode 35 subbed. I showed my mom Monster and she wont watch it unless it's dubbed because she doesn't like reading subtitles. The dub is absolutely cringe-worthy. I'm not the kind of person against dubs or anything. I happen to like the Durarara and Death note dubs very much. Just gosh, they butchered the voices here. Especially Johan's. Johan's voice in the sub is very soft and calm. In the dub he has a louder, annoying voice with arrogance. It just doesn't suite his character in my opinion.
 
#8
07-22-14, 10:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 533
The dub has more votes than sub!?

I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
 
#9
10-21-14, 8:56 PM

Online
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 384
DawningFog said:
I have watched up to episode 35 subbed. I showed my mom Monster and she wont watch it unless it's dubbed because she doesn't like reading subtitles. The dub is absolutely cringe-worthy. I'm not the kind of person against dubs or anything. I happen to like the Durarara and Death note dubs very much. Just gosh, they butchered the voices here. Especially Johan's. Johan's voice in the sub is very soft and calm. In the dub he has a louder, annoying voice with arrogance. It just doesn't suite his character in my opinion.



Highly disagree..In no shape or form did the dub butcher the voices and apparently we were watching different shows because Silverstein completely captured Johan's character.. Innocent Soft spoken intelligent manipulative and lacking emotion.. The only time his voices raised was in the library reading the book about the two monsters

Tenma- Tie... Both the sub and O'Brien did a good job
Dieter- Dub
Eva- Dub
Grimmer- Dub by far
Lunge- Dub
Anna- Tie

The dub was just as good as sub
Modified by TheGrandSage23, 10-21-14, 9:03 PM
 
10-21-14, 9:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 89
I watched this series in sub and didn't feel anything during Grimmer's you-know-what scene but I saw it in dub on youtube years later and cried like a baby. Too lazy to rewatch it in dub though.
 
10-24-14, 7:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 185
I would love to give the dub a real try. Sadly, I learned from watching the first episode of it after having seen the sub version that they changed the soundtrack to a much less effective/unique one. I'm sorry, but that's a deal-breaker for me. If only the dub didn't change the soundtrack. Ugh, it's infuriating.

Is there some version of the dub that DOESN'T have the soundtrack changed which I don't know about? Is that what everyone voting for the dub has seen?
Modified by zacrathedemon5, 10-25-14, 4:38 PM
 
10-24-14, 10:41 PM

Online
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 28255
Holy shit, what a tie!
 
10-25-14, 9:08 PM

Online
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 19339
i definitely prefer the dub, theres alot more emotion in the characters during many of the best scenes and it generally had a good sesne of deliveyr without ever sounding over the top, johan is the only character i really prefer in sub but even then his dub actor did a damn good job on his own

zacrathedemon5 said:
I would love to give the dub a real try. Sadly, I learned from watching the first episode of it after having seen the sub version that they changed the soundtrack to a much less effective/unique one. I'm sorry, but that's a deal-breaker for me. If only the dub didn't change the soundtrack. Ugh, it's infuriating.

Is there some version of the dub that DOESN'T have the soundtrack changed which I don't know about? Is that what everyone voting for the dub has seen?
i dont remmember the soundtrack being changed at all, every track int he dub is on the ost and playedf at the same times as the sub save for what id assume is a rare few occurances, the ost of monster is one of the best out there in terms of atmosphere and that was not lost in the dub at all
please shit talk my page, no seriously please do
tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me
He caught me
 
10-27-14, 12:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 185
JizzyHitler said:
i dont remmember the soundtrack being changed at all, every track int he dub is on the ost and playedf at the same times as the sub save for what id assume is a rare few occurances, the ost of monster is one of the best out there in terms of atmosphere and that was not lost in the dub at all

Where did you watch the dub? Where I was watching it, the soundtrack was vastly different than it was in the sub. One example I distinctly remember is in the sub with Tenma and Eva's first onscreen conversation, there's no soundtrack, but in the dub version I saw they put in some generic happy-sounding music in the background. Bothered the hell out of me. Could you please point me to where you watched the dub where it had the original OST?
 
Top