MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Monster: Dub vs Sub - a comparison
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Monster »» Monster: Dub vs Sub - a comparison

View Poll Results: Which do you think was better?
Subs

32 47.06%
Dub

36 52.94%
Voters: 68

06-29-11, 12:32 AM

Monster is probably one of my favorite Anime out there, so much that it was the first item (I think it was...) I added to my list when I joined this site.

I have seen both the Dub and Subs and here is what I think for everyone else who is having a hard time deciding. I liked the subs better personally

*Note: 'Subs' in the poll refer to the original Japanese VA with English Subs and 'Dubs' refer to the English Dub

Reasons why the subs are better than the dub

• Johan

• Dub: Honestly I don't like Johan's voice one bit in the dub. He has a sinister tone, but it felt like a regular antagonist's voice to me. Johan is NOT your average antagonist.

• Sub: What made Johan's voice so successful in the original was the innocence in Johan's voice. The innocence in Johan's voice also added to Johan's twisted mentality of life. A true Monster

• Anna

• Dub: It was just bad. Anna's voice in the dub made her looked like a robotic Barbie doll

• Sub: It was decent, nothing special, but still beats the dub because it sounded human

• Lunge

• Dub: Alright, Lunge's voice in the Dub wasn't terrible. It more or less portrayed his original character with a about 70% of success. It was just okay

• Sub: Lunge's voice in the original sounded deep and fitted his persistent and stubborn (not to mention funny sometimes) personality. A voice truly fitted for a detective.

• Grimmer

• Dub: His voice was on par with the original, although at times he kinda sounds like Goofy lol

• Sub: Same as Dub

• Eva

• Dub: Same as Grimmer, I thought Eva's VA did a fine job expressing her obnoxious personality and attitude.

• Sub: Same as Dub

• Tenma

• Dub: I really disliked Tenma's VA in the English. It just isn't as good as the original. His English VA doesn't exude the same innate kindness as the Japanese VA does that Naoki intended for Tenma

• Sub: I absolutely LOVE Tenma's voice in the original, it just fits his character in every aspect.

I have made a poll so other fans could decide as well. I don't want to make this sound like a one-sided argument.

Modified by Confucius, 07-18-11, 9:01 AM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

06-29-11, 12:37 AM

It should be noted that you aren't actually comparing the English subs to the English dub, but in fact the Japanese dub to the English dub.

Remember, I can watch something with English subs and the audio muted.
follow me on twitters to get #heredityhugs #heredityhugs #heredityhugs #heredityhugs

06-29-11, 6:46 AM

Onibokusu said:
It should be noted that you aren't actually comparing the English subs to the English dub, but in fact the Japanese dub to the English dub.

I thought about that but then I realize "dub" means replacing the original.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

06-29-11, 6:49 AM

Confucius said:
Onibokusu said:

I thought about that but then I realize "dub" means replacing the original.

Only audio-wise, though.
follow me on twitters to get #heredityhugs #heredityhugs #heredityhugs #heredityhugs

07-18-11, 9:27 AM

Sadly, it's better in Japanese. I blame its recording studio for being a piece of inept trite.

06-18-14, 8:04 PM

Anna and Johan's voice in the dub and sub were basically the same, besides the inherent different sound of each language. Johan sounded just as innocent in the dub to me as he did in the subbed version.

Also to Lunge, I actually thought the dubbed voice he had far better fit his character than the deep and gruntled voice of the sub. Both are good, but the dub is a better fit in my book.

And finally for Tenma, I thought both expressed the "innate kindness" very well. I still like the dub voice more though, but the sub is good as-well.

The subs and dubs for this show are surprisingly on par compared to other shows.
Modified by Piegoose, 07-23-14, 4:49 AM
Spike said:
Bang!

07-22-14, 9:16 PM

I have watched up to episode 35 subbed. I showed my mom Monster and she wont watch it unless it's dubbed because she doesn't like reading subtitles. The dub is absolutely cringe-worthy. I'm not the kind of person against dubs or anything. I happen to like the Durarara and Death note dubs very much. Just gosh, they butchered the voices here. Especially Johan's. Johan's voice in the sub is very soft and calm. In the dub he has a louder, annoying voice with arrogance. It just doesn't suite his character in my opinion.

07-22-14, 10:07 PM

The dub has more votes than sub!?

I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices