Forum Settings
Forums

A Tale of Feeding off Others - I want to live *SPOILERS*

New
Jun 21, 2010 8:32 AM
Oct 2008
I translated and read the first full chapter in the 2nd Kino no Tabi book. I wrote a summary based on what my interpretations were. I haven't watched the episode it was adapted to (I'll probably watch it within 24 hours of this posting), so I'm posting my summary without the anime version's influence. I might have misinterpreted some things from the book, and I don't know if the anime changes things from the book or not. Basically, you can post a reply and tell (guess?) if I got things right and things are different from the anime. I attached some of my interpretations at the end. Depending on how well it adapts it, this summary contains spoilers for this chapter of the book, as well as the 2nd episode of the anime.

Summary:
Kino kills a rabbit with a gun. She meets 3 men in a tent, one in his 20s, one in his 30s and one in his 40s. Ask her if she has any food, so she agrees to let them have the rabbit as dinner. The man in his 30s gives Kino a pretty ring as an offer of thanks, she initially refuses to take it, but the man convinces her to. Kino skins the rabbit (quite descriptively). The men really love the meat they eat, like if they're in heaven. They even pray/thank God for it. Kino goes hunting again for a rabbit.One night, Hermes asks Kino if it's acceptable to stop in places and continue to travel, Kino says it isn't, bringing up the ring. Kino tries on the ring, but Hermes tells her it doesn't suit herThe men nostalgically talk about their hometowns, mentioning how the people from there would be surprised they are alive, as there was a diaster there. They ask Kino about hers, but Kino refuses to answer, leaving the thirty-something man to apologize. The next day, while helping them carry a "tray" from their truck, the men reveal that are merchants that "sell" people--they're slave merchants, so Kino accuses them of being kidnappers. They consider selling Kino, which the 30-something man asks Kino not to think of them negatively, as they "live lives of wolves". Point a persuader at her, they force her to disarm her guns and winter clothes, Kino ends up killing them, one by one, with a knife, first the 30-something, then the 40-something, then the 20-something. One is still alive, and asks for help before he dies. Kino opens up the tray, to discover bones and an eaten-off corpse of a girl roughly her age. Kino gives the thiry-something man back the ring, saying that she's returning it to him because she wasn't able to save them. She takes back her guns and other stuff, only to test them out again. She packs her stuff onto Hermes and takes off, unable to look at the corpses.

My interpretations:

*The thirty-something man is a more sympathetic and nicer to Kino.
I interpreted Kino trying on the ring and being told it didn't suit her as "sad" although I'm not sure if it was supposed to be. I definitely thought her giving the ring back was VERY sad though.
*The word "nidai" is used. EUdict translated it as "load-carrying tray" but I'm not sure if that's what was in their truck (the thing Kino opens at the end). Do you guys know a better word? Does the anime/ADV version have one?
*Does the thirty-something man have his own persuader, or did he take Kino's? I'm guessing it's the former.
*The men don't know Kino is female. When the thirty-something man gives Kino the ring, he suggests she "gives it to [his/her] wife." I do know the chapter never uses gender-specific pronouns for Kino though. However, when they consider selling her (I think), they refer to her as "beautiful."
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 9, 2010 5:22 PM

Jul 2009
Not sure about the truck but I think I remember stuff like meat hooks, it was scary stuff. It looked like a butcher house to me, though I'd need to go back and check to make sure.

Also, I believe the thirty something man had his own Persuader. It might've been a shotgun, too, though I don't recall.

I noted that in this chapter, the last man asks for help before being killed. In the anime, it was different, as the last guy was looking at her with fearful eyes before she finished him off, without saying anything. Of course, I could be wrong again, heh.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» great news to all the novel fan :-)

almozayaf - Oct 5, 2009

2 by -Mooners- »»
Jan 25, 2019 10:27 AM

» Tower country?

NoBadsign - Oct 27, 2008

3 by Malkshake »»
Nov 17, 2014 6:20 PM

» Kino No Tabi Series 2 Song Sugestions...

IchiroEX - Apr 23, 2008

1 by buta_hill »»
Apr 9, 2009 3:18 AM

» soundtrack?

Dorothea - Nov 21, 2007

5 by takarayama »»
Dec 9, 2008 1:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.