Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 23, 7:48 AM

Nov 2018
...the timeskip?

Personally, I love a good timeskip and for me it's been super fun to see the family's new aged-up designs. Nanao and Kengo are especially cool, although I'll admit I do miss Kyoichiro's younger design. I also love the look of Taiyo's new blooming even though that's like his 3rd power-up now lmao and I'm excited to see the others.

In all honesty, what I don't love is the twins.

I understand that everyone splitting off to finish their training was probably meant to have an arc conclusion-esque feel to it, but to me it felt more like a prelude for their big final act. Imo I think if we were given more of an actual conclusion to Taiyo and the rest of the siblings' story and then allowed the twins to be used as a segway into a new story (almost kinda Boruto-esque) then that would've been fine. Or even if they were just hanging around as new side or comic relief characters, kinda like Ai, that'd be fine too.

But to me as things stand it kinda feels like the twins have barged in and taken over the spotlight as new main characters of a story hasn't yet been completed. I love the original characters so so much and their development has been so important to the story so far, so it makes me sad to see them (especially Taiyo) essentially side-lined for a Spy x Family Anya-esque story just when their story is about to reach its climax.

Idk there's probably a part of me that's also biased in the way that I'm also not interested in little kid MCs for the most part (the one chapter where they aged up for a day was like a breath of fresh air lmao). So I'll admit it kinda stings to watch these characters I've invested over 200 chapters in be shunted off to the side in favour of two 4 year olds that I barely know.

Admittedly, by now they've grown on me enough that I can tolerate their existence. I'm just hoping that they take a step back soon and give the main cast back the spotlight before the final fight against Asa.

Anyways, enough with the rambling, what're you're thoughts on the timeskip arc so far?

君の声 

忘れない 

涙も 

忘れない
Feb 23, 7:10 PM
Jun 2016
Yeah I completely agree. The timeskip in itself was fine, but I really don’t like the addition of the twins. It sorta made me lose interest in the manga tbh and I’m sorta just reading every week to see if it can pull me back in.

I think my main issue is with the suspension of disbelief. Like the twins are 3 or 4 if I remember correctly, and I get it, funni anime bullshit where literal toddlers are the most literate and capable people on the planet, but it’s just a bit too much for me.
Feb 23, 8:36 PM

Feb 2010
I think I'd put up with the twins more if we'd had a ten year age skip and they're nine and therefore acting like preteens so everything's less weird or like Gohan's first appearance in Dragon Ball, the twins were genuinely just four years old. Lke they could be incredibly smart and stuff but have that genuine limitation of being a little kid still.

It seems almost like the maganaka is trying to pull off a Spy x Family situation where there's the same disconnect where the first graders kind of carry on like they're sixth graders, but the reason I put up with that disconnect in Spy x Fam is because it's just always been that way. It's part of that series' universe, but we never had an indication of stuff like this pre-timeskp for Yozakura Family so it just feels weird.

It's a shame too because you could do like almost all of the plot points with the twins either older or acting more like four-year-olds. There was really no reason to make them act like older kids in tiny bodies. It doesn't really add anything to the situation.
Feb 24, 1:11 AM
Jan 2024
you are right the twins introduction wasn't that good also the timskip was too sudden
Feb 24, 6:35 AM

Nov 2018
Reply to bossunhimeswitch
I think I'd put up with the twins more if we'd had a ten year age skip and they're nine and therefore acting like preteens so everything's less weird or like Gohan's first appearance in Dragon Ball, the twins were genuinely just four years old. Lke they could be incredibly smart and stuff but have that genuine limitation of being a little kid still.

It seems almost like the maganaka is trying to pull off a Spy x Family situation where there's the same disconnect where the first graders kind of carry on like they're sixth graders, but the reason I put up with that disconnect in Spy x Fam is because it's just always been that way. It's part of that series' universe, but we never had an indication of stuff like this pre-timeskp for Yozakura Family so it just feels weird.

It's a shame too because you could do like almost all of the plot points with the twins either older or acting more like four-year-olds. There was really no reason to make them act like older kids in tiny bodies. It doesn't really add anything to the situation.
THIIISSSSSSSS! Another reason as to why I kinda hoped they'd stay in their aged-up high school bodies permanently lol. Although a 10-year timeskip would've been too jarring for me I think, in that I would feel a lot of sudden disconnect from the characters.

But going back to the twins, as someone who's actually worked with a lot of 4yos at a Japanese kindergarten, I'm reading about these kids and just being like "Yeah maybe you're smart for your age but that...that's not how this works that's not...this isn't...that-that's not how any of this works what the hell are your parents thinking I-"

Actually I think a far better way to do it would've been to just have them acting like normal kids in the background and then have them suddenly release some kind of terrifying super power during the final fight. That way the focus of the conclusion would've still been on the main characters, and at the same time would allow the next arc of the story to lead into everyone trying to figure out the kids' powers and unravel their mysteries as twin future heads.

君の声 

忘れない 

涙も 

忘れない
Mar 8, 2:00 PM

Sep 2011
I like the twins well enough I just dont like that Taiyo feels less like the protagonist with the around.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen Chapter 226 Discussion

ARK-13 - Yesterday

3 by MegamiRem »»
Today, 10:10 AM

Poll: » Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen Chapter 225 Discussion

ARK-13 - May 10

5 by MegamiRem »»
Today, 10:07 AM

» Extra Story

ARK-13 - May 12

0 by ARK-13 »»
May 12, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen Chapter 224 Discussion

ARK-13 - Apr 27

4 by MegamiRem »»
May 6, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen Chapter 223 Discussion

ARK-13 - Apr 20

3 by kucing02 »»
May 1, 11:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.