Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 7, 11:26 AM

Dec 2016
I wanna start to watch this anime but I'm confused which should I watch because it seems there are two versions of this anime. I googled both are the same. But I still don't know which. Can anyone help me to get started? Thank you!
Jan 7, 11:39 AM

Jun 2016
One follows the manga closely (FMAB), the other does only in the early parts. Both are good. I personally prefer FMAB.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 7, 11:40 AM
Apr 2021
Watch fmab, fma starts off the same but than ventures off into its own story
Jan 7, 11:43 AM
Feb 2020
FMAB adapts more faithfully the manga. However, FMA could be a great choice, too (some people think it's better than Brotherhood)
Jan 7, 11:44 AM
Aug 2021
Brotherhood. Or you can watch all the manga canon eps in FMA then switch to FMAB
Jan 7, 11:58 AM
Aug 2023
I think its better to start with fmab then if you are obsessed with the story, characters, setting, etc. go watch fma after.
Jan 7, 12:03 PM
Jul 2014
The best watch order is to watch FMA first (either all of it, or at least up until the Greed fight), then FMA:B.

FMA:B does repeat the start of the manga but it runs past it very fast so you'll miss a lot of important stuff if you haven't seen FMA first.
Jan 7, 12:05 PM

Apr 2016
Mirality said:
The best watch order is to watch FMA first (either all of it, or at least up until the Greed fight), then FMA:B.

FMA:B does repeat the start of the manga but it runs past it very fast so you'll miss a lot of important stuff if you haven't seen FMA first.

But 2003FMA has a lot of important stuff changed since the very beginning. That could be confusing later.
Jan 7, 12:05 PM

Oct 2020
i preffer FMAB (it follows the manga)
the 03 version is still pretty great, but it does go in a different direction, so i would suggest watching it after, if you enjoyed brotherhood
Jan 7, 12:16 PM
Jan 2022
FMAB is way better
Jan 7, 12:18 PM
Jan 2021
my perfect version would be taking FMA until Greed died then switching over to Greed's introduction in FMAB. Gotta say I also loved Bradley's reveal way more in FMA (helped by Martle living longer)

It's not perfect cuz FMA had anime original stuff before that, I just think it dealt with the early manga better. The general story I do prefer FMAB though (even though FMA is also very solid, just not as crazy as FMAB for me)
Jan 7, 12:30 PM
Dec 2023
Brotherhood is superior
Jan 7, 12:33 PM
May 2020
I personally prefer FMA:B, because the ending just doesn't fit me and also some parts weren't even there. (Manga wasn't finished, when the original FMA came out) Although, that doesn't mean the original FMA is bad, it has some important character backstories and details that brotherhood doesn't have. It's worth it to watch both.
emi_kooJan 7, 12:36 PM
Jan 7, 12:53 PM

Jun 2021
FMA is better for me and for some other people out there as well. I couldn't care less about it's not following the manga, if you're like me, you should definitely watch it too.
Remember what Master Oogway told us:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Jan 7, 1:00 PM
May 2015
Best option: read the manga.
Jan 7, 1:05 PM
Dec 2021
Xeveronivy said:
I wanna start to watch this anime but I'm confused which should I watch because it seems there are two versions of this anime. I googled both are the same. But I still don't know which. Can anyone help me to get started? Thank you!

DEFINITELY BROTHERHOOD
Jan 7, 1:31 PM
Aug 2022
Xeveronivy said:

Full Metal Alchemist was first aired in 2006 when the manga was still being published and like it usually happens with such cases, the anime was coming out faster than the mangaka was writing the story, therefore, having a lot more free interpretation, and not following the manga storyline as much. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood follows the manga much more closely and its last episode lined up with the ending of the manga. The first episode for FMAB was aired in 2009 for reference.
Both are very good adaptions of the manga with one having more creative freedom and exploration, many people say FMAB is better (possibly do the consistency in the storyline - I personally have only seen FMAB, but it is in my top three anime)
Jan 7, 4:03 PM
Feb 2023
FMA and then FMAB. FMAB speedruns the earlier parts of the show. Opposite of what FMA did, it's more fleshed out, but it has an anime original ending. That's why watch FMA first and then FMAB
Jan 7, 4:15 PM
May 2022
I'd watch FMA first then FMA:B, but you could honestly just watch Brotherhood and that'd be fine.

FMA focuses more on interpersonal relationships and the brothers, while FMA:B gives more time to political intrigue and supporting characters. Brotherhood excels in world building-- I think it also benefits from being adapted from a finished story. FMA had to come up with a story with a half finished manga and it's a bit noticeable in its pacing.
Jan 7, 4:51 PM
Nov 2015
FMAB direction considers you have already watched FMA (at least, tha first half of it).

I recommend watch both, first FMA and then FMAB.

Just a little warning. FMA feels a little bit old. It was released in the 2000s.
Jan 7, 5:22 PM
Jun 2013
The first FMA is filler while Brotherhood adapts the entire manga, so there's not even a discussion to be made, just watch Brotherhood and if you're interested, watch the first anime just for fun, it's good for what it is
Jan 7, 5:32 PM

Dec 2016
Wow didn't expect so many replies. Thank you guys ☺️🙏🏻
Jan 7, 6:05 PM
Jan 2024
Xeveronivy said:
Wow didn't expect so many replies. Thank you guys ☺️🙏🏻

hope you enjoy it, it's fuckin awesome
Jan 7, 6:12 PM
Jul 2023
brotherhood is in every way better imo. better voice acting, better story, better animation, better pacing etc. the first half of the original fma is just episodic filler
Jan 7, 8:29 PM
Feb 2016
They're about the same.
Jan 7, 9:56 PM
Dec 2022
Xeveronivy said:

You should watch FMAB
Jan 7, 10:49 PM
Aug 2021
fma>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fmab
Jan 8, 2:55 AM
Jan 2021
Watch the First 8/10 episodes of FMA and then continue to EP 3/4 of FMAB and continue from there to get the best viewing experience in my opinion. FMAB's pacing in the early episodes is too fast, that's why it's better to watch the first 8/10 episodes of FMA.
Jan 8, 3:11 AM
Jan 2022
Fmab..masterpiece.. a perfect start and a perfect ending ❤️❤️🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥..
Jan 8, 4:38 AM
Dec 2022
FMAB for sure😂
Jan 8, 4:45 AM
Nov 2021
Fmab is better than fma
Jan 8, 5:02 AM

Jan 2021
You could always watch both 🤷🏾‍♂️
"To Infinity and Beyond."
Jan 8, 6:47 AM
Mar 2018
i wish I could forget the story amd watch it over again..
Jan 8, 8:38 AM
Feb 2023
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a more direct adaptation of the original manga. It's a great story but the first few episodes kind of drag because it leans on the original show a bit.

Fullmetal Alchemist adapted what had existed of the manga at the time. It had it's own plan and branched off to create a very different but still great story.

I really think both shows are worth watching but most people nowadays have only seen Brotherhood. So if you want to watch an adaptation of the original story and have fan discussion, go with Brotherhood.
Jan 8, 9:23 AM

Aug 2013
FMAB is a true adaptation of the manga, so…
Jan 8, 9:57 AM
Apr 2021
You should watch both, but I would strongly recommend watching the Original FMA first. It better adapts and expands upon the beginning of the story, before it caught up with the Manga and created its own story. The events it tackles that are in the manga are done much better with a lot more impact. The ending is still good, and the Manga vs author helped the tv writers get there, so it still carries the spirit of the work. The original Series has a lot more character drama and examination compared with the more action-oriented Brotherhood.

Brotherhood, while it follows the manga more closely, the beginning of the show isn't as strong and sometimes it sticks too closely to manga pacing (which can be abrupt). The overall story is fantastic though.

By watching both, starting with FMA, you will get the best of all worlds and when you do get to Brotherhood, your brain will be able to take the expanded materials from the first series to enhance what isn't shown on Brotherhood.
Jan 8, 11:44 PM
May 2021
ArnauCP said:
FMAB adapts more faithfully the manga. However, FMA could be a great choice, too (some people think it's better than Brotherhood)

the minority , clearly.
Jan 9, 2:12 AM
Nov 2014
they're both 2 different shows towards the back end, so you could watch both to be honest.
fmab is the true source material version, so I'd always say that first as its great.
however fma is still worth checking out as the story takes a different turn to brotherhood.
Jan 9, 4:47 AM
May 2022
Start with FMA. I prefer the original (I think it’s more emotionally and thematically mature)—most people don’t, and that’s ok, but brotherhood assumes you’ve already watched it and massively rushes the first arcs. At the very least, watch the first 25 episodes of the original before it starts to diverge.

If you want to experience the first emotional beats from the manga in a way that actually leaves any kind of impact, it’s essential that you see those first arcs in the original first, and not in brotherhood. I think the only reason why people don’t recommend this route is because most people here got into the series via brotherhood or the manga.
AkiraMiyazaki17Jan 9, 4:51 AM
Jan 9, 5:09 AM

Mar 2013
Pretty much the remake.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jan 9, 8:02 AM
Sep 2023
fmab hands down. it's a no brainer
Kenjutsu is the art of killing...no matter how you sugarcoat it!

Jan 9, 8:15 AM
Apr 2021
my i guess more controversial take is to watch FMA 2003 first, even though it doesn't adapt the manga very faithfully. FMA has a slower beginning and handles emotional story beats much more maturily, which helped (at least me ) get more invested to the story. FMAB has quite a rushed beginning that damages it in the long run.

FMA 2003 is also a bit darker and grittier, and again more focused on it's characters than FMAB. FMAB is more plot heavy. So I would take that into consideration too.
Jan 10, 12:42 PM
Nov 2016
FMA (2003) is better, FMAB is an overrated piece of crap, watch both and form your own opinion and if you plan on watching FMAB then keep your expectations low, the ratings don't mean shit since taste is subjective.
Jan 11, 11:17 PM
Aug 2015
honestly I'd recommend watching both. I like the original more but I also think the incredible writing and storytelling make watching brotherhood worthwhile
Jan 12, 2:53 AM
Oct 2020
Ri-iel said:
Brotherhood. Or you can watch all the manga canon eps in FMA then switch to FMAB

No you can’t, the two shows differ from as early as the first episode in some places as it was always intended to be its own story.
Jan 13, 12:00 AM
Dec 2015
Watch FMAB. You should watch FMA as an alternate route later as if you're watching the Fate Series.

More topics from this board

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.