Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 7, 7:17 AM

Oct 2014
It's one of the best written anime imo. The first 12 episodes are poorly paced because they expect you to already be familiar with the story up to that point, but once it starts covering new territory it's great. Please do watch at least a bit further before deciding whether or not to finish it. I personally gave it twice the score I gave JJK, but I've never really cared for the battle scenes themselves, just what they mean to the greater plot, and FMAB does a great job at making them important even if they might not be as flashy as the fight scenes in modern anime.
Jan 7, 8:33 AM
Jan 2018
I don't care what anyone says. Fuhrer King Bradley by himself makes the show worth watching. You haven't even got a chance to really see him put in work yet. Bradley is a villain most anime will ever be able to top.

I don't get the JJK or FMAB slander on this thread. JJK is not just mindless fighting. Are we really watching the same anime? That being said, FMAB isn't really interested in shonen tropes. Heroes don't always save the day, and there often isn't epic theme music when they show up to do their thing. The mangaka used the base of shonen storytelling to do her own thing. The fights are still great, especially for the time period they came out in.

Those recap episodes are a big argument fans have for why the OG FMA is better than Brotherhood. Tbh, they were a necessary sacrifice to make the story better. In a very real sense, you haven't really started watching the anime yet. This isn't like One Piece where you get to certain parts of the story and it takes off. Instead it's like watching an anime movie recap before the original stuff starts showing up on screen. Personally, I had no problem with the recap episodes but a lot of people hated them.

The golden rule is still everything isn't for everybody. However you really should dial your hype down. I will bet money pretty much everybody that was disappointed with FMAB when into it believing it was gonna be the greatest anime experience ever. Very few anime will meet YOUR personal standards for the greatest anime ever.

Also, the OG praise from Brotherhood came from people like me that watched it when it was airing. Because the anime kept surprising us with amazing things the first series never had.

If you want an alternative shonen also written by a lady that put more emphasis on the fighting while still keeping the importance of the world building, check out Magi: The Kingdom of Magic. If nothing else, Shiro Sagisu did the music, so pretty much every part of the story will have music that hypes you up.
Jan 7, 10:55 AM
Apr 2022
The moment you clarified yourself as the typical JJK action seeking junkie then I knew this series wasn't for you
Drop it my guy you're wasting your time
Jan 7, 5:27 PM
Jun 2013
So you went from a show that is just a (good) over the top action series that try to pain itself as deep to a show where you have a well written story and characters with actual depth alongside great fights but that got you bored? okay...
Shinuki_n_RebornJan 7, 5:30 PM
Jan 7, 5:47 PM

Feb 2010
if you don't like the show you don't like the show move on. don't make obvious bait threads.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 7, 5:48 PM

May 2014
Brotherhood was made with the idea that everyone had already seen the original FMA, so they rush the initial episodes to get to the new content. I prefer the original anyways, so I'd always recommend someone watch that first and then Brotherhood afterwards.
Jan 7, 7:27 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to Fancyjasper
Brotherhood was made with the idea that everyone had already seen the original FMA, so they rush the initial episodes to get to the new content. I prefer the original anyways, so I'd always recommend someone watch that first and then Brotherhood afterwards.
@fancyjasper Not to sound rude, but the OP made it quite clear that they're interested in action-heavy anime. So why would you recommend the first FMA series, which had less action than Brotherhood?
Jan 7, 10:11 PM

Jan 2023
FMAB is less good because of it's action and fight sequences and is very top tier when it comes to world building and character development. It has, in my opinion, an extremely neat world with a country fighting it's neighbors and has its hand in a genocide in part of its region. The characters have so many unique personalities and traits that only accelerated this for me.

I don't think it's the best anime made but I think it has its place in the top bunch for very good reasons. Hyper shonen style fight sequences are not in this and that's why I don't think jjk fans would love this.
死人に口なし
Jan 7, 10:31 PM

Feb 2021
Just because a majority of people like it doesn't mean everyone does. Honestly I have the same opinion on some popular anime.

I think why I liked it though is because it had mix of everything and does them well.
Like the fights, are not only pretty good, but there is very little internal dialogue compared to Demon Slayer or Naruto, which is something I really appreciate. Also the context in those fights are pretty meaningful. Everyone has a part to play and I felt like I could cheer for every one of them, even the supporting characters.
The characters are great imo, with many of them actually feeling like they are real in the story, instead of just being pieces to fill the screen (like background npc's).
The story is so well written in how it progresses and poses questions I had (Like Aot) but was still pretty easy to follow.
There were many hard hitting and emotional moments too that got me thinking or had my jaw drop while watching.

You may not experience the anime the same that I did, but I hope you can enjoy it in some ways.

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

Jan 7, 11:30 PM
Jan 2015
DigiCat said:
ktg said:
"20 years" and you managed to watch 200 anime. Yeah, you must be impressive...

Therengoku342 said:
bro only watched 200 anime in 20 years, that's acc tough, I've watched 200 in 2.

This argument makes zero sense

I've also watched anime for over 20 years, but over 300 of the ones i've watched have been completed and/or discovered only in the last 3 years

People tend to forget that there used to be a time when we didn't have endless supplies of free streaming and had to rely on catching eps on TV or forking out the cash for VHSs and DVDs and if we were lucky we'd be able to find some more niche stuff to download

This right here. People need to remember how difficult it used to be.
Jan 8, 2:37 AM

May 2014
Reply to Early_Morning
@fancyjasper Not to sound rude, but the OP made it quite clear that they're interested in action-heavy anime. So why would you recommend the first FMA series, which had less action than Brotherhood?
@Early_Morning Action is still a major genre for the original too. If he's talking about high quality action in terms of animation the original is also better directed/animated than Brotherhood. It cut out a bunch of action scenes from the early episodes too, like the Roy vs Ed and the train fight. Not everything is Jujutsu Kaisen s2 where literally every episode is a fight scene and I did see they like Naruto, which has its share of talky time. Regardless of what anyone's genre preferences are, I still think the original FMA is worth trying. Can easily drop it if they don't like it. It's good to expand your genre horizons too.
Jan 8, 10:59 PM
Oct 2019
The haters came out when they realized they might have a chance lol.
Jan 9, 12:09 PM
Dec 2015
It’s very boring, and once all the mystery stuff are solved it’s just more boring fights and a boring ending, I say finish it but don’t expect anything too exciting, it’s super overrated
Jan 19, 8:07 AM
May 2015
This anime's ratings are an interesting case. In 2019, 10 years after it aired, it had around 500,000 "10s", 250,000 "9s" and 125,000 "8s", but only 750 "3s", 500 "2s" and 2,500 "1s".
So it's safe to say, for 10 years practically everyone loved and no one hated it (with 875,000 8s to 10s and 3,750 1s to 3s; 10s/1s-Factor was 200/1).
Now 5 years later it's different. In this last 5 years it got again 500,000 "10s", 300,000 "9s" and 150,000 "8s", while it got 2,000 "3s", 3,000 "s" and 50,000 "1s" (10s/1s-Factor was 10/1).
This must mean, that there are still as many people who love that series, but now suddenly there are many, who utterly hate it!

I for myself would say it's more than just great and as far from appalling as possible.
AnimeProspectJan 19, 8:16 AM
Jan 22, 9:56 AM

Oct 2018
Man... Now I finally realize that modern shounen animes nowadays are all just full of flashy action sequences than substance. I really miss the old times where battle shounen were good as heck.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
Yesterday, 3:13 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.