Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 26, 2023 1:16 AM
May 2022
Just started watching it, and misa’s sexism and usui being lowkey creepy is kinda unpleasant, especially bc they’re in high school/16 year olds. I was just curious if other people thought so too.
Dec 26, 2023 1:41 AM
Dec 2022
yeah I thought so but watching the whole season was still enjoyable
Dec 26, 2023 1:51 AM
Aug 2011
i like it but the ml is questionable, he is a stalker. the fl is a tsundere so she has some red flags too but all in all it is an enjoyable show if you can get past some uncomfortable things.
Dec 26, 2023 2:25 AM
Feb 2023
just don't think too hard about it.
Dec 26, 2023 3:32 AM
May 2016
It's only problematic to people who live in a dream and not in reality. It's perfectly fine.
Dec 26, 2023 3:49 AM

Jul 2015
This is quite literally how kids used to form healthy relationships and romances before social media and feminism corrupted our youth.

Dec 26, 2023 4:44 AM
Oct 2019
don't judge a show from early 2000's with 2023 glass you accomplish nothing. it was made and written in a different anime landscape. Shoujo demographic stuff changed since then just take a look in what the genre especially romance has gone through in the last decade. show from the past should be judged from what time they came from if you want to judge the tropes rather than the show in his entirety.
Dec 26, 2023 4:57 AM
Jul 2022
sangonomiya_k said:
Just started watching it, and misa’s sexism and usui being lowkey creepy is kinda unpleasant, especially bc they’re in high school/16 year olds. I was just curious if other people thought so too.

dont look at older anime/source material with the standards of today, if you look for it you would find problematic behavior everywhere
Dec 26, 2023 6:20 AM
Jan 2021
its definitely creepy, I remember feeling it back when I watched it too. So are most 2000s Shoujo though, so much stalking and almost-rape going on. I think it was this series (remember something similar happened in OHSHC though) where the MC is about to get raped and the the dude apparently was stalking her so he saves her and the attempted rapist is just fine, no punishment.

I don't get how so many girls loved this genre, even as a kid I found so much stuff to be uncomfortable
Dec 26, 2023 8:06 AM
Mar 2020
Never thought it was. It depends how much you’re looking to dislike something. It’s pretty subversive for its own premise.
Dec 26, 2023 9:10 AM
Jun 2021
people acknowledge it being problematic a lot, it's just simply ignored
Dec 26, 2023 10:20 AM
Jul 2021
No it's not. You're actually the problem
Dec 26, 2023 10:35 AM
May 2015
it's lighthearted and funny, i don't find it to be problematic. plus the show is from early 2000s, what do you expect?
Dec 26, 2023 12:56 PM
Mar 2022
The characters are meant to be flawed. Yeah, Misaki has some weird hangups and Usui is a bit stalker~ish and antagonistic, but the show doesn’t paint these things as good as good qualities in either character.
You’re supposed to laugh at their flaws because if they were healthy and honest with each other there would be no show.
Dec 26, 2023 1:52 PM
Oct 2021
you need to put your 2010 glasses to watch it, then you will enjoy it
it's nice, it's cute, i watched like in 2013 and loved the hell out of it and did a rewatch recently and still liked it
Dec 26, 2023 9:16 PM
Apr 2020
oh brother just enjoy the show
Dec 26, 2023 9:27 PM
Feb 2022
Would it be creepy in real life? Yes. Would I let a boy like that date my daughter IRL? No. Do I ship Hinata and Misaki? Yes.

Is this show "problematic" or "harmful"? No. Maybe don't let an 8yo watch it, but it's not going to do any harm.
Dec 26, 2023 11:19 PM
Aug 2015
Personally I don't think so. But that's because I tend to not view most fiction through a realistic lense, and through my own morals for actual people especially in regards to comedies that always over exaggerate everything to add to the humor.
Dec 26, 2023 11:55 PM

Aug 2010
It is but that goes for any early 2000 anime tbh. I watched it a couple years ago and loved it nonetheless!

Dec 27, 2023 9:17 PM
Oct 2022
The fact that this anime only has 26 episodes is very problematic
Dec 27, 2023 9:19 PM
Dec 2023

Barsatein Hindi Desi Serial Completed Episodes In HD drama series
Sony Tv All Dramas Watch Daily Updates on Barsatein.
Barsatein Serials
Dec 28, 2023 4:23 AM
Aug 2023
sangonomiya_k said:

Yes, I agree with Usui, the ML acting all creepy around the FL. Especially when he pulled up her skirt and some viewers took it as joke in fact the fl, herself did so. There r other moments as well when he forced himself to her.
Dec 28, 2023 4:49 AM
Jan 2019
sangonomiya_k said:

Misaki doesnt strike me as sexist anymore. Her dead beat dad let her family down. Let them struggle. She’s firm on not letting herself rely on flaky guys and the guys at her school are reinforcing that some guys need to be kept in check.

Usui is a babe but definitely creepy. I would say the guys are the problematic element in the show.

I love maid sama. It’s hilarious.
Dec 30, 2023 2:36 PM
Dec 2021
In my opinion Misa's sexism ans Usuis's lowkey creepiness gives the show that "It's relatible" feeling.
Dec 31, 2023 8:59 AM
Aug 2020
You are overthinking about a comedy anime.... Get your brain straight and watch it.
Dec 31, 2023 9:10 AM

Feb 2016
I didn't consider whether the show is problematic or not problematic. I simply hate the characters.
その目だれの目?
Dec 31, 2023 9:12 PM
Dec 2023
like most shojo, you have to suspend your sense of reality to enjoy it… obviously a lot of these things would be uncomfortable and wrong irl. it’s not meant to be taken as a manual for how to get girls. many self aware shows make fun of guys who look to shojo for literal advice. there’s nothing non standard in this anime. just tropes of the genre. we can have a broader conversation about whether anime should continue to include problematic themes in general but maid-sama is not the show i’d single out for that convo. i mean yor’s brother is in love with her ffs and i don’t see anyone trying to call spy x family problematic.
Jan 1, 3:09 PM
Mar 2016
@zemeck People like the OP have been raised on Ipads and have no idea how men and women used to interact before tinder was the only approved form of showing interest in a female. Thankfully the people that make anime can't read their insanity and be influenced by it too much.
Jan 9, 5:45 AM

Mar 2011
Personally I don't think it's problematic if you don't look too deep into it. It's supposed to a light-hearted romance that doesn't take itself too seriously and neither should we. Would it be appropriate to act the way the characters do on this show? No. Not if you don't want to receive a restriction order (but that's not just Usui. Look how Misa constantly beats up the boys at her school even for minor things. That's brutal and would beconsidered violence. But it's exaggerated).

But you also have to remember one thing: they are written that way. Usui is written to pursue Misa in well... his own manner. And she is written the way to fall for him regardless. Because if you look at it closely you will find fault in everything. Most stories are written in a way people wouldn't and shouldn't act in real life. Some more than others. That's why we call it fiction. Then again, some people seem to overlook that there are also very cute moments that since then made it into many other anime/mangas/books (like the affectionate head-pat). I've seen stories way more problematic than this one. And unfortunately even people in real life acting much worse.

But there might be people who still feel uncomfortable to watch it and that's alright too. We have different tastes so I'm sure you will be able to find something that suits your taste more.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Jan 14, 3:32 PM
Oct 2021
the show is from the early 2000's... you know, the times when people weren't overly offended by meaningless stuff and knew how to enjoy media.. so take your mind off 2024 and enjoy the show ffs.. or drop it if it's not to your liking.
Jan 30, 6:40 PM

Sep 2020
There are so many dumb people in here.

Yes, this show is old, sexism is used as a story plot and not in any slanderous way. Please grow up.

Yes, Uzui is creepy a little. Most shoujos are like that. Uzui is a lot less creepy then most though. Yubisaki is a lot worse and that’s airing right now. Uzui is a little possessive, but Misa goes against it quite a lot in a cat/dog dynamic.

@/SoulessAnime This comment is a dumb one I found. What would you do if your crush went to see someone who you don’t trust at all and alone, in a situation where Misa is in the wrong and needs to make up for it somehow.

It’s a fictional cartoon and people are here analysing it like a Netflix Documentary…
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 6:49 PM

Sep 2018
This show is a shoujo. Meaning it was made for women likely by a woman.

More topics from this board

» Anime or manga

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 6

7 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 7, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2010

388 by Troy_The_Boy »»
Apr 6, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

taim - Jul 15, 2010

142 by xevi_dx »»
Mar 24, 12:41 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

francismeunier - Apr 22, 2010

165 by xevi_dx »»
Mar 22, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2010

128 by antoninus_v »»
Mar 21, 8:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.