Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 4, 2023 8:11 AM

Aug 2017
Not sure if anyone’s noticed but this anime has overtaken Death Note to be the #1 most popular anime on this site. Interesting because this seems to signal a wider change in the demographic of anime watchers

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Dec 4, 2023 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
AOT is the Death Note of the 2010s generation, or the Code Geass...
Dec 4, 2023 8:13 AM

Aug 2017
Fromaseed said:

I wonder what the 2020s AOT will be. Maybe Jujutsu Kaisen, it seems very popular

Dec 4, 2023 8:14 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Remocracy
Fromaseed said:

I wonder what the 2020s AOT will be. Maybe Jujutsu Kaisen, it seems very popular
@Remocracy Jujutsu Kaisen is the Bleach if anything... all selling on style and rule of cool. The AOT is yet to come, give it a year or two.
Tokyo Revengers seemed to fit this role kinda but it never quite took off.
Dec 4, 2023 8:23 AM

Jan 2021
Bruh this happened a long time ago. I remember the bot wars. Both sides didn't give up easily. When Aot was about to catch up to death note, there was a significant rise in number people who had Death nite in their list. It was a tough battle but Death note lost in the end. Its still not over as the gap isn't as big as I thought it would be. Looks like Death note fans aren't giving up easily.

Aot was already number 1 in Anilist though. Death note is 3rd there behind Aot and Kny. That site is not as heavily botted as this one.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Dec 4, 2023 8:26 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to Remocracy
Fromaseed said:

@Remocracy Kny anime came out in 2019 but its bigger than anything new so far. It might be the AOT of 2020s. Maybe even bigger judging from the sales.

Dec 4, 2023 8:29 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to removed-user
@Remocracy Jujutsu Kaisen is the Bleach if anything... all selling on style and rule of cool. The AOT is yet to come, give it a year or two.
Tokyo Revengers seemed to fit this role kinda but it never quite took off.
@Fromaseed I've been thinking about it, but it's also totally possible that no single anime ever becomes the "AOT of the 2020s". Prior to about 2015 or so I'd say that there were only so many good anime per season that people mostly watched the same stuff, which you can see if you ever go back to seasonal charts of 2012, where there's one anime with millions and a very huge gap between that one and the one right after it. However, if you see seasonal charts from 2-3 years ago, there isn't that big of a gap anymore between the #1 and #2 animes, which signals that there's many good animes per season, so there's way too many valid choices nowadays. If you think about it, no song has ever beaten Despacito for some reason on YouTube.

Dec 4, 2023 8:29 AM
Dec 2023
Zoomers and their pointless threads...
Dec 4, 2023 8:30 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to FZREMAKE
Bruh this happened a long time ago. I remember the bot wars. Both sides didn't give up easily. When Aot was about to catch up to death note, there was a significant rise in number people who had Death nite in their list. It was a tough battle but Death note lost in the end. Its still not over as the gap isn't as big as I thought it would be. Looks like Death note fans aren't giving up easily.

Aot was already number 1 in Anilist though. Death note is 3rd there behind Aot and Kny. That site is not as heavily botted as this one.
@FZREMAKE To be fair to MyAnimeList I bet a lot of the Death Note people are from anime watchers who made their accounts aeons ago and haven't really come back to this site, so the older animes on this site have a lot of dead accounts. AniList is much newer so it didn't have these dead accounts.

Dec 4, 2023 8:33 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to FZREMAKE
@Remocracy Kny anime came out in 2019 but its bigger than anything new so far. It might be the AOT of 2020s. Maybe even bigger judging from the sales.
@FZREMAKE I wouldn't really say KnY is a 2020s anime, but you may be partially right. I will say one thing AoT had going for it was the gap between season 1 and season 2/3/etc. This allowed plenty of new people to see the hype and join in over the years. AoT's runtime from the start of season 1 to the end is about 10-11 years, so it had a long time to gain watchers. In comparison demon slayer gets a new season every year, so it'll be over in a few more years.

Dec 4, 2023 8:33 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to Yobbzmm
Zoomers and their pointless threads...
@Yobbzmm You got anything important to say? Like if you think a thread is dumb just don't open it

Dec 4, 2023 8:36 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Remocracy
@Fromaseed I've been thinking about it, but it's also totally possible that no single anime ever becomes the "AOT of the 2020s". Prior to about 2015 or so I'd say that there were only so many good anime per season that people mostly watched the same stuff, which you can see if you ever go back to seasonal charts of 2012, where there's one anime with millions and a very huge gap between that one and the one right after it. However, if you see seasonal charts from 2-3 years ago, there isn't that big of a gap anymore between the #1 and #2 animes, which signals that there's many good animes per season, so there's way too many valid choices nowadays. If you think about it, no song has ever beaten Despacito for some reason on YouTube.
@Remocracy There is a formula to it. When people switched to seasonal format of viewing they rely on word of mouth or in this case anime youtubers to tell them which is the new hot thing, and the flock to it, these shows are deemed AOTS/ AOTY and overshadow any other series. Look at Darling in the Franxx as an example. These shows have to have something going for them in order to attract attention, be it theory crafting premise or a cute waifu, or the potential of online wars which can generate discussion in between waiting for new episodes, or seasons. I think the formula was first discovered/ coined with Evangelion, if you look EVA up it is still popular and mainstream decades after because it was that successful. So in short what gets big is that which can generate most HYPE and involvement in the audience. And also as we are on a Western anime site... stuff that is more familiar to us tends to do better than inherently Japanese titles. Monogatari series for example.
Dec 4, 2023 8:37 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Remocracy
@Yobbzmm You got anything important to say? Like if you think a thread is dumb just don't open it
@Remocracy

How can I possibly know a thread is dumb without opening it? Thanks again for proving zoomers are stupid.
Dec 4, 2023 8:43 AM
Aug 2022
My app glitched and showed Martial Master Asumi as the thumbnail for this post. I thought this was some spectacular satire.
Dec 4, 2023 8:45 AM
Aug 2022
Remocracy said:
Not sure if anyone’s noticed but this anime has overtaken Death Note to be the #1 most popular anime on this site. Interesting because this seems to signal a wider change in the demographic of anime watchers

The #1 spot is always changing. Also I don't see how this insinuates a bigger change. AOT has been top 5 for many years now. Just assuming, but it's probably been top 10 since season 1 or 2.
Dec 4, 2023 8:46 AM
Oct 2022
This happened years ago OP. Why are you only noticing now?

And perhaps chainsaw man is AOT-level popularity of 2020s, considering the manga is up there in popularity and the anime hasn't really been adapted much as of yet.
Dec 4, 2023 8:52 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to Yobbzmm
@Remocracy

How can I possibly know a thread is dumb without opening it? Thanks again for proving zoomers are stupid.
@Yobbzmm You didn't have to comment on it though

Dec 4, 2023 8:55 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to Dannyr22
This happened years ago OP. Why are you only noticing now?

And perhaps chainsaw man is AOT-level popularity of 2020s, considering the manga is up there in popularity and the anime hasn't really been adapted much as of yet.
@Dannyr22 I swear this was a recent change though, although looking back on the Wayback Machine it definitely has been this way for a year or two. I guess I just haven't browsed the popularity charts in a very long time

Dec 4, 2023 9:12 AM
Oct 2022
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1992050
Here, this was almost two years ago.

Keep in mind, new seasonals have the disadvantage of being divided up by seasons on MAL so popularity ranks i.e 'member count' tend to favor the anime with only one entry (like death note). Perhaps other websites for anime are more accurate in this regard despite the lower userbase.
Dec 4, 2023 9:12 AM
Jun 2021
Remocracy said:

I mean this happened nearly 2 years ago now between February 1st and February 4th of at way back machine.
SparCyDec 4, 2023 9:18 AM
Dec 4, 2023 10:31 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to Remocracy
@FZREMAKE To be fair to MyAnimeList I bet a lot of the Death Note people are from anime watchers who made their accounts aeons ago and haven't really come back to this site, so the older animes on this site have a lot of dead accounts. AniList is much newer so it didn't have these dead accounts.
@Remocracy yeah but that still doesn't explain the multiple new bots created everyday (they were in 1000s) to keep it in 1st place.

Dec 4, 2023 10:35 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to Remocracy
@FZREMAKE I wouldn't really say KnY is a 2020s anime, but you may be partially right. I will say one thing AoT had going for it was the gap between season 1 and season 2/3/etc. This allowed plenty of new people to see the hype and join in over the years. AoT's runtime from the start of season 1 to the end is about 10-11 years, so it had a long time to gain watchers. In comparison demon slayer gets a new season every year, so it'll be over in a few more years.
@Remocracy That's true. Aot has accomplished a lot in the 10 years or so that it has run. In the mean time, I could say that Kny has accomplished far more in less than 5 years. I believe according to data, its the most popular anime right now and it has broken all sorts of record. Kny will most probably end by 2025 or 26 giving it a lot less than 10 years, but I still believe it will accomplish far more in this small amount of time.

Dec 4, 2023 5:31 PM
Aug 2023
@yobbzmm this guy is obviously so miserable he spends his free time (which is all day everyday) hating on the younger generation ON AN ANIME SITE because they’re much more intelligent and critical thinking individuals than his own. Get a life you neanderthal.
Dec 4, 2023 5:36 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to TrixCrispier
@yobbzmm this guy is obviously so miserable he spends his free time (which is all day everyday) hating on the younger generation ON AN ANIME SITE because they’re much more intelligent and critical thinking individuals than his own. Get a life you neanderthal.
@TrixCrispier Bro needs to touch some grass ASAP

Dec 4, 2023 7:57 PM
Dec 2022
Genuinely who cares what the most popular anime is bro
Dec 4, 2023 8:03 PM
Jul 2023
It’s interesting seeing the anime culture outside of the elitist community (yeah that’s us)
Kinda funny when they start talking to me about how they’re such weebs for watching attack on titan and then ask if i’ve ever seen an anime before
Dec 4, 2023 8:05 PM

Aug 2017
Bolona07 said:
It’s interesting seeing the anime culture outside of the elitist community (yeah that’s us)
Kinda funny when they start talking to me about how they’re such weebs for watching attack on titan and then ask if i’ve ever seen an anime before

Weeb culture is now mainstream, just like being the guy that does a lot of research about boats or tanks or WW2 or whatever, it’s something people can now take pride in, especially if they just say “yea I don’t watch the pervy stuff”

Dec 4, 2023 8:09 PM
Jul 2023
Remocracy said:
Bolona07 said:

Weeb culture is now mainstream, just like being the guy that does a lot of research about boats or tanks or WW2 or whatever, it’s something people can now take pride in, especially if they just say “yea I don’t watch the pervy stuff”

Maybe where you guys are from it’s more mainstream. Where I live, they kinda get clowned on. Most guys think I’m a gym bro and always share how they’re so quirky for watching an anime.
Dec 4, 2023 8:35 PM

Aug 2017
Bolona07 said:
Remocracy said:

Maybe where you guys are from it’s more mainstream. Where I live, they kinda get clowned on. Most guys think I’m a gym bro and always share how they’re so quirky for watching an anime.

I’m younger (in college) so it’s much more accepted here since practically everyone watches some anime or another

Dec 4, 2023 8:45 PM

Aug 2019
AFAIK, Attack on TItan has been the most popular anime on this site now for at least the last 1-2 years. It overtook Death Note a while ago.

Given Death Note ended over 14 years ago, it's done well to maintain a decent pace though.
Dec 4, 2023 9:29 PM
Sep 2015
FZREMAKE said:

I dunno, I think it’s safe to say AoT is getting its own boost from bots too. Remember when Fruits Basket: The Final became number one? A girly anime supplanting a shounen? No, no, no, can’t have that! And it seems like every day I find a notification of AoT-whatever-season knocking down the newest Bleach a peg, then Bleach comes back up, back and forth, back and forth.

People don’t like change, especially when something that holds a special place in their heart inevitably becomes a thing of the past, ousted by newer stuff that grabs other people and becomes their thing that holds a special place in their heart. The bot wars and ranking boosting for these popular titles are probably not gonna stop unless a new system is developed.

Noticing trends is one thing, ranking things is another. These shows are gonna mean something different to each and every one of us, and to different degrees. I don’t really put much stalk in rankings other than “welp, here’s another show to add to my miles-long to-watch list” and even then, if the synopsis doesn’t grab me, then whatever.
Dec 5, 2023 12:32 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to WinterBat
FZREMAKE said:

I dunno, I think it’s safe to say AoT is getting its own boost from bots too. Remember when Fruits Basket: The Final became number one? A girly anime supplanting a shounen? No, no, no, can’t have that! And it seems like every day I find a notification of AoT-whatever-season knocking down the newest Bleach a peg, then Bleach comes back up, back and forth, back and forth.

People don’t like change, especially when something that holds a special place in their heart inevitably becomes a thing of the past, ousted by newer stuff that grabs other people and becomes their thing that holds a special place in their heart. The bot wars and ranking boosting for these popular titles are probably not gonna stop unless a new system is developed.

Noticing trends is one thing, ranking things is another. These shows are gonna mean something different to each and every one of us, and to different degrees. I don’t really put much stalk in rankings other than “welp, here’s another show to add to my miles-long to-watch list” and even then, if the synopsis doesn’t grab me, then whatever.
@WinterBat That's what I meant. Both Aot and Death note got a huge boost from bots when they were competing for the first popularity place. Its not just these two, anime like Fmab is also pretty controversial for having significant amount of bots. It used to be below SAO in popularity but look at it now. People who used to create bots to change its ranking or retain its ranking at number highest rated anime, indirectly increased its popularity as well.

Dec 5, 2023 8:46 AM
Jul 2021
Common AoT W, you just love to see it.
Dec 5, 2023 12:56 PM
Nov 2021
itzswxzy said:
Genuinely who cares what the most popular anime is bro

Yeah, I agree with it.
Dec 6, 2023 5:57 AM
Jun 2023
Fromaseed said:

No , please don't compare 😮‍💨 ..
Dec 6, 2023 11:00 PM
Mar 2021
Remocracy said:
Fromaseed said:

i think chainsaw man will have it from season 2 and onwards. including the whacky release schedule.

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.