Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 29, 2023 6:39 PM
Mar 2015
>Stats Summary
This is great. No more three "Not recommended" views at the top on anime that scored an 8/10.

>Diverse Perspectives
Same as point one. I'd frankly gotten sick of negative reviews from reviewers often being up top and drowning out legitimate reviews from people interested in the content. If you weren't even interested in an anime, why did you watch it?

>Diverse Voices
Ehhhhh... Could this be a fourth review at the bottom instead? Or maybe a "Fresh Perspective" button or something. Or perhaps add a downvote (not displayed) that suppresses bad reviews? I like the idea of lesser viewed reviews getting some love, but the implementation could be better...
Aug 30, 2023 5:28 PM

Apr 2013
firefractal said:
3. Diverse Voices
[...] The new logic consists of a rotation between three of our existing sorts: Most Voted-

Okay, so I'm not sure yet how I feel about the rest of the changes yet, but this is something I want to highlight. The primary issue of the review system on this site is that there's no way to "downvote" reviews for being "bad." I know that the reason for removing it was probably because "people will just downvote the unpopular opinion and reduce its visibility," etc. etc., but any site with reviews by users that aren't proofread or reviewed themselves and doesn't have a way to upvote or downvote them opens them up to problems.

There is such a thing as a bad review that should have its visibility reduced, like one that seems fine on the surface and so would pass a human review even if one existed, but contains literal misinfo, or maybe interprets something from the story in such a bad way that you can call it misleading, in which both cases the review's visibility should be reduced. However, the only way to "downvote" something is still to give it a passive aggressive "funny" or "confusing" reaction which also boosts it. Elden Ring uses this system for messages, and you know what happens? You get messages with a 9,999 (the max) rating telling players to jump off cliffs or hit walls for hidden paths (it was totally funny the first 50 times guys).

The solution to the above issue is to either just have a system that lets users decide which reviews are quality and which aren't, or have a human review each "review" for misinfo, but the former has the issue with people using downvoting as a disagree button, and the latter has an issue with needing humans to moderate it in the first place, and all the issues that opens up that I feel like don't need to be stated. The former option I believe is a much simpler tried and true system that causes less issues than it fixes.
おれはPigAmericanです
おれはばか

i am average american man i enjoy
bad game runescape
Aug 30, 2023 5:53 PM

Mar 2010
There seems to be a bug in the bar on top. If you press the "Write a Review" button, it send you to the URL:
https://myanimelist.net/myreviews.php?mangaId=[MANGAID]&go=write

Instead it should send you to:
https://myanimelist.net/myreviews.php?mid=[MANGAID]&go=write

Edit: This no longer seems to be the case. Not sure if it was fixed or if it was just an error on my mind.
hexashadow13Aug 31, 2023 6:00 PM
Sep 2, 2023 12:46 PM

Jul 2011
Thanks for making reviews even worse -_-

Sep 5, 2023 5:37 AM

Oct 2013
A bit late, but I'm very much not a fan.

Not all reviews are created equal. I don't think there's a reason to show short low-quality reviews that did not get any upvotes instead of the good ole well-written ones that have been approved by the community.

Plus, forcing an anime to show all three reviews is laughable.

Some anime for example can have a high rate of positive:negative and the reviews should paint the same picture. If a show has 100 positive reviews, one mixed and one negative, showing one of each gives a false sense that the series had mixed opinions on it.
Sep 6, 2023 8:02 PM
Oct 2019
Another reason to ignore the "Review" section entirely lol. Even before I've quickly learned that the reviews are to be avoided when you are looking up any anime on here.
Sep 8, 2023 1:56 AM
May 2021
Dress🐸
Sep 23, 2023 4:54 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
firefractal said:
2. Diverse Perspectives
In addition to the graphical changes to the Reviews section, we've made a few changes to the logic for selecting the three reviews to display on the details page. Previously, only the top three reviews by total reactions were selected, regardless of which category they fell under. With the new system, one review per category is selected for display, allowing for readers to more easily access a diverse set of perspectives.
This kind of priority really succ tho. Even among recommendation reviews, opinions are already different between. If that Anime only has 1 negative review then it will keep showing up on the front page no matter what's happened to the rest. To bring them down, there's no other choice but to create another negative review. It's even worse than the order by total like before. If diversity is the thing you guys value then all reviews should be treated equal.

firefractal said:
3. Diverse Voices
We've also introduced some new logic for selecting reviews that are representative of each category of opinions. The new logic consists of a rotation between three of our existing sorts: Most Voted, Suggested, and Newest. The goal of this change is to provide our community with more opportunities to encounter a diverse set of voices, ranging from prolific veteran reviewers to those new to writing reviews.
I hope "Spoiler" will be the fourth sorts. Some plot heavy Anime need exposition to fully express the brilliance. Most of non-spoiler reviews are very shallow unless you have a good writing skill.

Sep 23, 2023 4:49 PM

Aug 2015
I think review rotation is a good thing, since it prevents "staleness" of the same perspectives perpetually sitting on the front page of a particular anime.
Sep 24, 2023 2:57 PM
Sep 2023
Hello! as a lurker and sometimes a member (I tend to create new accounts and forgot about them lol) I'd like to offer my prespective on the matter.

I'll save my rant below and give the TLDR here:

I really really, like this change. I feel the only thing that needs to be changed is stats summary which can be abuseable. Otherwise, Reviews changing and votes not mattering as much is a great change, along with the most important one in one review of each kind. This almost eliminates the bot problem and gives an overall view of an anime/manga.

Rant:
I feel the anime community is really affected by the herd-like effect due to how young it skews. So it's really bad when you get a hate bandwagon or love bandwagon going on. It simply does not make sense to have a manga/anime reviews all being negative or positive at the top. I do not wish to read all negative opinions. Most of the time I have to scroll to find a positive one as one factor of my decision on taking it. Since that's where people tend to write about a manga 'truthfully' and even then I don't really take reviews seriously due to the bandwagon effect.

For example, I think writing a positive review about SAO back in 2012 would get you no votes and get you laughed out by some people into the hate bandwagon and who tend to votebot or vote on reviews on the first place. (Ironically these people tend to have the same tastes/dislikes of the safe things to like/dislike. due to insecurity). It's simply illogical to have things rated above 5 have all negative or positive reviews. It's just a joke, really.

I do feel the stats summary can be gamed. But it should be a lot harder and far more obvious. I won't elaborate more as I feel that's obvious.

I think this new change is really good since voting is nearly moot so botting should no longer be as influential on the process. You can see a positive/mixed/negative review which is great.

To be honest I stopped paying attention to reviews once I noticed this bandwagon effect, but now I might read some of them.

Rant over.

Thank you @firefractal @admins. Keep up the great work.
JohnMatric1986Sep 24, 2023 3:01 PM
Sep 28, 2023 12:02 PM

Jul 2009
For the most part I like these changes. They seem to fall in line with what I suggested years ago, so I'm glad the team took my views seriously.

While I don't like the emoticon system, the "downvote" system that some are suggesting is even worse. You'd just end up reverting to what it was before with mass vote herding.
Oct 15, 2023 6:52 AM

Feb 2012
Reply to Antithesis
Most people don't seem to care anymore, lol.

The ugly, stinky, gargantuan truth about MAL's review system is that there was no winning with it in the first place, it's a lost cause. The initial system that was replaced by facebook emojis was most subject to botting and one can see that for themselves with all the front-page reviews of that era that were botted (whether by a third party or the reviewer). The system that replaced it made botting transparent but still became the most exploitative due to people unable to think collectively and refrain from spamming negative emojis on undesirable reviews instead of just pushing them down with favourable ones. And the new system's attempt at randomising promotion is feeble because despite its attempts at quelling familiar faces from taking the front page, it arguably just makes it worse; now you can write a well-written, successful review with engagement in the hundreds and it will have no chance of seeing the front page because some popular reviewer happened to share one of three recommendation tags as you. It also has no answer to the 'Most voted' and 'Suggested' picks from being manipulated by positive botting.

You should honestly just do away with reviews on the details page entirely like AniList and IMDb effectively have instead of the Frankenstein state it's currently at. It fixes any and all problems and no one cares for diversity quotas anyway because unless they're looking at an obscure title, the only thing that matters is what the colour and number of the review is; not its "perspective". You can't do anything about that because it's just human nature.

KitsuFrost said:
At least there is a possibility it will prevent trolling reviews, such as the ones made for famous series last year and this current one.
I guess this is really the best thing to come out of this update (even if the front page for most seasonals still looks like a mess). No more inarticulate, flamebaiting preliminaries by empty accounts hogging up the top 3 like those atrocious ones people had the misfortune of witnessing for Bleach Sennen Kessen-hen last year - especially those two most (down)voted ones, one of which was written by a bot account.

kinotabii said:
Edit: I take back calling this update almost decent. It's actually complete garbage because spoiler-based reviews are not only hidden from the default review page but also the front page now. I guess the bold red "Spoiler" tag for such reviews weren't enough because we can't read and have no cognitive control over our sight. If you want to go into plot-specifics when writing a review instead of making generic statements, you've already lost. Mods never considered the fact that some people don't care about spoilers, that anyone who's already watched the anime obviously doesn't, and that people who do care about spoilers can just look away after seeing the red tag or just refresh the page.
Oh damn, I just realised. No wonder the new system looked inconsistent when I was checking a couple of pages earlier. Hopefully it's just a bug (which I unfortunately doubt [UPDATE: it's actually completely intentional by them]), otherwise the mods couldn't be more transparent with their biases.
ANTITHE5IS said:
The initial system that was replaced by facebook emojis was most subject to botting and one can see that for themselves with all the front-page reviews of that era that were botted (whether by a third party or the reviewer)
No, that was actually the best iteration of the review system this site has had. Exactly because that system worked, trash reviewers were complaining that their trash reviews were downvoted to oblivion; and instead of replying "working as intended", the staff replaced the Not Helpful button with facebook emoji, removing dislikes. There was no "rat race" problem before that.

This is also why we see the system become progressively worse, they DO want the trash reviews on top. The solution would be simple: returning to the pre-2015 system.
Humans are suspicious and jealous creatures. When they see something perfect, they wanna find a flaw.

Ratohnhaketon said:
You have much to learn if you have not joined the witch hunt to down vote every anime that rises above our underrated favorites. I am currently on a campaign to get Training with Hinako into the top 12. Shit taste is hard to fight though, it's like trying to talk sense to an army of hallucinating loonies.
Ty-Ki said:
It's hilarious to see morons wasting more time with the series they hate so much than the fans of it.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

214 by Veredus »»
4 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by Jeniferu4edy »»
Yesterday, 12:58 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.