Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 5, 2023 6:22 PM

Aug 2022
If anyone's seen or heard the recent Trash Taste episode ft Hasan Piker, you'll have heard of Hasan's spicy take that AoT is, as he calls it, a "flesh mecha". What are everyone's opinions on this? Personally, after hearing his argument I have to say I agree.
Apr 5, 2023 6:29 PM

Jan 2021
No, Shingeki no Kyojin isn't and it will never be a mecha.
Apr 5, 2023 6:32 PM

Feb 2016
Attack on Titan never was a mecha series to begin with, its more of a kaiju rather than mecha. 
Apr 5, 2023 6:48 PM

Aug 2022
Ionliosite2 said:
Are you sure about that I mean it is a bunch of humans fighting each other inside bioorganic robots
Artifiyings said:
Attack on Titan never was a mecha series to begin with, its more of a kaiju rather than mecha. 
How? There's no kaiju involved, just a bunch of bioorganic robots being piloted by humans.
Apr 5, 2023 6:56 PM

Jan 2021
There are no robots in Shingeki no Kyojin at all, the Titans are literally no robots in any sense of the word.
Apr 5, 2023 7:03 PM

Aug 2022
Ionliosite2 said:
There are no robots in Shingeki no Kyojin at all, the Titans are literally no robots in any sense of the word.
well they arent autonomous so I suppose they can't be called robots but in that sense neither can Gundams, but like Gundams, Titans are mobile suits, they just happen to be organic mobile suits just like Evangelions. So I'll rephrase my initial statement Attack on Titan is a show about humans fighting each other while using bioorganic mobile suits, therefore, it is a Mecha, on top of that it also has themes about politics and war, which are prevalent Mecha themes.
Apr 5, 2023 7:06 PM

Oct 2013
Mechas are big ass robots. Titans are only 50% of that equation and not the 50% that matters, so no.

You might as well be asking if shows like DBZ are magical girl shows because both feature transformations. Makes about as much sense.
FanofActionApr 5, 2023 7:13 PM
Apr 5, 2023 7:12 PM

Aug 2022
FanofAction said:
Mechas are big ass robots. Titans are only 50% of that equation and not the 50% that matters, so no.
Technically mechas aren't robots as they require a pilot. They are big ass machines that have pilots, Titans just happen to be big ass bio-organic machines that have pilots. so still a mecha.
Apr 5, 2023 7:16 PM

Mar 2023
Anything is anything if you word or bend it the right way. Personally I don't see it, but I don't care if you think that. It's like the age old question, "is a hotdog a sandwich?" Some say it's not because it does not follow the "rules" of a regular sandwich. Some, however, do because it has a similar structure and see the hotdog as the exception, not the rule. We give words their meaning, so that means that we can change what they mean whenever and however we please. So yes, AOT is a mecha and is not at the same time. It's all about how you look at it.

Edit: Also this post is definitely not satire. This is 100% serious.
FrebbyApr 5, 2023 7:22 PM

:3
Apr 5, 2023 7:24 PM

Oct 2013
struggler_sensei said:
FanofAction said:
Technically mechas aren't robots as they require a pilot. They are big ass machines that have pilots, Titans just happen to be big ass bio-organic machines that have pilots. so still a mecha.
Semantics aside, you know what I meant. The point is, they aren't made of flesh.This is like arguing cyborgs and androids are the same thing, when despite some similarities, they clearly aren't.
Apr 5, 2023 7:25 PM

Oct 2018
Yes, it is one of the worst mecha, but still is a mecha anime.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Apr 5, 2023 7:35 PM

Aug 2022
Frebby said:
Anything is anything if you word or bend it the right way. Personally I don't see it, but I don't care if you think that. It's like the age old question, "is a hotdog a sandwich?" Some say it's not because it does not follow the "rules" of a regular sandwich. Some, however, do because it has a similar structure and see the hotdog as the exception, not the rule. We give words their meaning, so that means that we can change what they mean whenever and however we please. So yes, AOT is a mecha and is not at the same time. It's all about how you look at it.

Edit: Also this post is definitely not satire. This is 100% serious.
most nuanced take on here kudos
FanofAction said:
struggler_sensei said:
Semantics aside, you know what I meant. The point is, they aren't made of flesh.This is like arguing cyborgs and androids are the same thing, when despite some similarities, they clearly aren't.
if a requirement of mecha is that mechas cant be made out of flesh then Neon Genesis Evangelion wouldn't be considered a mecha, but it is, so then mechas can indeed be organic. 
Phosphophyllita said:
Yes, it is one of the worst mecha, but still is a mecha anime.
based take.
Apr 5, 2023 7:40 PM

Mar 2021
Flesh Mecha? Just because Titans are usually depicted as giants and are relatively bigger than a normal human doesn't make them mechs even if on the surface it seems like they are being piloted. The thing about "Attack on Titan" is it lacks the traditional lore of mechanical object known as mechs. The Titan transformation in "Attack on Titan" is more like a genetic mutation. Like suddenly having a new limb growing out of your body like a third arm.
ColourWheelApr 5, 2023 7:43 PM
Apr 5, 2023 7:43 PM

Oct 2011
It's more Supernatural than mecha. Mecha means only robots/machines and the titan isn't either at all. But they do have some sort of supernatural ability to transform into giant monsters/titans in this case, which does seem to share similarities since it does appear like they're riding inside and controlling them as if they are mechs.

Also, there's the ODM gear which is probably more of the mech part than the titans themselves since they're actually machine-like weapons or more closely to it.

This is why AoT is unique because it's not quite mecha but I could always see why before people would see it as such. Even I used to feel it was at first the first time I saw Eren inside a titan form and then going back to being human.
Apr 5, 2023 7:47 PM

Aug 2022
ColourWheel said:
Flesh Mecha? Just because Titans are usually depicted as giants and are relatively bigger than a normal human doesn't make them mechs even if on the surface it seems like they are being piloted. The thing about "Attack on Titan" is it lacks the traditional lore of mechanical object known as mechs. The Titans in "Attack on Titan" is more of a genetic mutation. Like suddenly having a new limb growing out of your body like a third arm.
That's not how the Titans work though, they are more like prehistoric symbiotic/parasitic organisms that pilots use to grow a giant flesh suit. This isn't that different compared to Eva which uses prehistoric alien organisms that humanity uses to grow giant flesh suits.
Apr 5, 2023 7:53 PM

Oct 2013
@struggler_sensei Ok...fine...I'll give you that one. Those still LOOK like how a mecha normally would though. Not like giant naked dudes with their junk missing. Not that I would care if Eva wasn't considered a mecha...
Apr 5, 2023 7:55 PM

Mar 2021
struggler_sensei said:
ColourWheel said:
Flesh Mecha? Just because Titans are usually depicted as giants and are relatively bigger than a normal human doesn't make them mechs even if on the surface it seems like they are being piloted. The thing about "Attack on Titan" is it lacks the traditional lore of mechanical object known as mechs. The Titans in "Attack on Titan" is more of a genetic mutation. Like suddenly having a new limb growing out of your body like a third arm.
That's not how the Titans work though, they are more like prehistoric symbiotic/parasitic organisms that pilots use to grow a giant flesh suit. This isn't that different compared to Eva which uses prehistoric alien organisms that humanity uses to grow giant flesh suits.
Technically Eva is not a Mecha Anime because it breaks the traditional lore. Eva is just disguised as a Mecha Anime due to it's plot twist.

Not sure why Users keep referring to an outlier to the Mecha genre. Eva is no more a Mecha Anime than "The Guyver" or "Baoh the Visitor" or even "Zetman".
ColourWheelApr 5, 2023 8:04 PM
Apr 5, 2023 8:05 PM

Aug 2022
FanofAction said:
@struggler_sensei Ok...fine...I'll give you that one. Those still LOOK like how a mecha normally would though. Not like giant naked dudes with their junk missing. Not that I would care if Eva wasn't considered a mecha...
would you prefer if they didn't have their junk missing?

ColourWheel said:
struggler_sensei said:
Technically Eva is not a Mecha Anime because it breaks the traditional lore. Eva is just disguised as a Mecha Anime due to it's plot twist. 
cmon now saying Eva isnt a mecha is an even more spicy take than 
saying that AoT is a mecha.
chronofantasy said:
It's more Supernatural than mecha. Mecha means only robots/machines and the titan isn't either at all. But they do have some sort of supernatural ability to transform into giant monsters/titans in this case, which does seem to share similarities since it does appear like they're riding inside and controlling them as if they are mechs.
Also, there's the ODM gear which is probably more of the mech part than the titans themselves since they're actually machine-like weapons or more closely to it.
This is why AoT is unique because it's not quite mecha but I could always see why before people would see it as such. Even I used to feel it was at first the first time I saw Eren inside a titan form and then going back to being human.
Mecha aint robots though, it's why astro boy ain't a mecha, mecha requires pilots, they aren't autonomous. And machines can be bio-organic like Titans are so the shoe still fits.
Apr 5, 2023 8:08 PM

Mar 2021
struggler_sensei said:

ColourWheel said:
Like I say, Not sure why Users keep referring to an outlier to the Mecha genre. Eva is no more a Mecha Anime than "The Guyver" or "Baoh the Visitor" or even "Zetman".

It's also no more of a spicy take than someone calling SAO an isekai.
Apr 5, 2023 8:21 PM

Oct 2011
struggler_sensei said:
FanofAction said:
would you prefer if they didn't have their junk missing?

ColourWheel said:
chronofantasy said:
Mecha aint robots though, it's why astro boy ain't a mecha, mecha requires pilots, they aren't autonomous. And machines can be bio-organic like Titans are so the shoe still fits.

Sorry, I thought I put large robots in there since we were talking about large entities-like with titans vs robots/machines. So I just wanted to clarify that bit. I know it's not just any old robot/machine, but the large ones being controlled. Even by definition, that's what you'll see it as well.

As others said too, I never considered EVA as a mecha either when I watched it. I've seen plenty of mecha, and although I can see why some might think AoT is, it never exactly seemed that way to me, at least not in the traditional sense. But as I saw someone else say, I guess some can interpret it that way, maybe a new term/genre for it can be created to better label what it is. There's plenty of anime where people transform into monsters, sometimes huge ones, and they can turn back to a human and in a sense, they are controlling it, sometimes they can't control it like some of the titans too. I don't ever see anyone call these mechs within those anime, because most people have a clear view of exactly what a mech is and when they watch them, they just know it's a mecha anime.

If it has to be questioned like in this topic, then it's probably not a mecha.
Apr 5, 2023 8:25 PM

Oct 2013
@struggler_sensei umm...no. Anyways, I hate to do this, but I'm gunna have to look this shiznite up now.

Quote: In science fiction, mecha (Japanese: メカ, Hepburn: meka) or mechs are giant robots or machines controlled by people, typically depicted as humanoid walking vehicles. The term was first used in Japanese after shortening the English loanword 'mechanism' (メカニズム, mekanizumu) or 'mechanical' (メカニカル, mekanikaru), but the meaning in Japanese is more inclusive, and 'robot' (ロボット, robotto) or 'giant robot' is the narrower term.

Did I just do what every teacher ever tells you not to, and pull this directly from wikipedia? Yes. But point still stands. This lines up with Titans not being mecha.
Apr 6, 2023 10:40 PM
Aug 2022
FanofAction said:

You might as well be asking if shows like DBZ are magical girl shows because both feature transformations. Makes about as much sense.

Hold up can we please start calling Dragon Ball a magical girl anime? I love DBZ as much as the next person but pissing off the fans is so much fun and I feel like they’d lose it from this.
Apr 6, 2023 11:27 PM
Mar 2023
But AoT dive Deep into the fundamentals of war and human nature & provokes questions like

Is genocide good?
Why war is bad?
Why wars happen?
How do Humans react to complex catastrophic situations like rumbling?

Can we teach humanity why war and racism is bad by committing genocide?
Will humanity ever learn the lesson they deserve?
Which side we should genocide to achieve world peace?
Can exterminating 80℅ of the population solve overpopulation, resource wars, cycle of hatred.. Etc?
Should we take revenge for our ancestors deaths that happened during world wars?

Is using child soldiers in war a good idea?

How do tribal people react when they eat a new type of food and visit towns and cities?
How do geopolitics work?

Is there any mecha out there that dives this deep into the fundamentals of war and human nature 🤔?
I don't think so.
AyanokamisamaApr 6, 2023 11:42 PM
Apr 7, 2023 12:19 AM

Oct 2013
jjtyler17 said:
FanofAction said:

Hold up can we please start calling Dragon Ball a magical girl anime? I love DBZ as much as the next person but pissing off the fans is so much fun and I feel like they’d lose it from this.
I mean...I guess the series could technically be called that now since I'm pretty sure there were a few magical girl type characters in Super....If AoT is a mecha, then why not?
Apr 7, 2023 12:36 AM

Mar 2021
FanofAction said:
jjtyler17 said:

I mean...I guess the series could technically be called that now since I'm pretty sure there were a few magical girl type characters in Super....If AoT is a mecha, then why not?
The irony here is I am pretty sure calling AoT a Mecha Anime would likely piss off all the AoT fans who hate the Mecha genre. lol
Apr 7, 2023 12:40 AM

Feb 2010
Ionliosite2 said:
so then we agree evengelion isn't mecha. 

a horse is not a car ergo a titan/eva isn't a mech.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 7, 2023 12:46 AM

Jun 2016
>spicy take
That's the most vanilla take regarding attack on titan. Been around since the begining and a sizeable chunk of the fanbase agrees.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 7, 2023 1:00 AM

Oct 2013
ColourWheel said:
FanofAction said:
The irony here is I am pretty sure calling AoT a Mecha Anime would likely piss off all the AoT fans who hate the Mecha genre. lol
Hell, for all we know, thats the whole reason this thread was made...And if that were the case, as someone who likes both, I'd actually find it pretty funny.
Jul 8, 2023 8:17 PM
Jul 2023
Well actually if you mongaloids and trogladytes looked the definition of mechanical which is the mecha in mecha anime you would notice that the definition is working by machine or machinery which begs the question what is a machine and the definition is an apparatus using or applying mechanical power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together perform a particular task and that is exactly what titan is 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓
Dec 12, 2023 12:35 PM
May 2017
yes, Attack on Titan is a mecha anime, it's basically Gundam with biological mechs

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.