Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 31, 2023 1:21 PM
May 2021
This series is literally the best horror, thriller anime I have watched in all these years of watching anime. But I rarely see someone talking about it  ,it really needs more attention and popularity it deserves in my opinion
Mar 31, 2023 1:31 PM
Oct 2022
Higurashi it s not , in my opinion ; Compared to umineko it s bad . Da When they cry serie isn t
Mar 31, 2023 1:32 PM

Sep 2021
It's definitely a great series, but i wouldn't call it underrated at all. Also should've called it underappreciated or something instead from what you've said
Mar 31, 2023 1:32 PM
Oct 2022
Nah people are talkin about it , maybe it s just not dat popular tho , and it s sill 1 of da most watched animes tho
Mar 31, 2023 1:40 PM

Aug 2018
Where'd you get that idea?
Mar 31, 2023 1:41 PM
Jul 2018
I almost dropped it in S1 because there wasn't any resolution and it didn't make much sense.

I did end up finishing it though and it did turn out to be good. I just think the pacing is a bit too slow.
Mar 31, 2023 1:56 PM

Mar 2018
it's is still pretty popular and very good but ends up becoming kind of niche since murdering anime girls + sketch SOL isn't appealing to many people. same reason people dont like monogatari even if its very technically good
Sometimes you just want to hear anime girls squeak and squeal
Mar 31, 2023 2:11 PM
Sep 2020
Because it’s hard to get into. Also I would say it’s more under-appreciated than underrated. It was popular enough to get two separate anime projects.
Mar 31, 2023 6:30 PM
Dec 2021
Apratim said:
This series is literally the best horror, thriller anime I have watched in all these years of watching anime. But I rarely see someone talking about it  ,it really needs more attention and popularity it deserves in my opinion

One of my top favorite anime/manga of all time, PEAK FICTION at its finest
Mar 31, 2023 6:31 PM
Dec 2021
digikc said:
I almost dropped it in S1 because there wasn't any resolution and it didn't make much sense.

I did end up finishing it though and it did turn out to be good. I just think the pacing is a bit too slow.

Kai changed everything for the better, you can't deny it
Mar 31, 2023 7:52 PM
Dec 2022
i completely agree, like, this anime is just SO underrated! His characters are tree-dimensional and so memorable! What about the horror dude, i shat my pants every second watching all that edgy gore that this series has, the music, the animation, the mistery, everything about this anime is just so brilliant, i can't really understand the people that talk trash about this anime, i guess they are probably pretentious pseudo intellectual snobs in which their favorite animes are series like Lain and all that type of boring stuff... 😒
lets all love lain.
Mar 31, 2023 8:10 PM
Feb 2019
I wouldn't say its underrated. It was actually very popular, and is revered as one of the top horror anime out there.

Its just that its old, and as time goes on... it becomes less talked about. But the When They Cry series is still widely loved and talked about within the WTC and visual novel communities. It just isn't on the radar anymore in the current anime world.

The recent new "remake" anime that turned out to be a sequel brought it back into the spotlight for a time... but its now returned back into the shadows.
Mar 31, 2023 8:14 PM

Jul 2021
It's not underrated at all. Just look at how popular it is.
I see users all over MAL that are fans of the When They Cry series, whether it be Higurashi or Umineko.
Mar 31, 2023 10:19 PM

Mar 2017
There was a time when people talked about it. It wasn't crazy popular or anything, but in most anime circles everyone at least knew about it. Nowadays, a lot has tried to copy its style and it has mostly faded away as an anime whose popularity was lost to time.

Think about it for a bit and recall all of the popular shows from each season/year from many years ago. There was a time when things like Yu Yu Hakusho and InuYasha were talked about endlessly; nowadays, not so much. What about Beyblade or Tokyo Mew Mew? At one point, whether you or I would consider them good or bad, were extremely popular.

Time changes everything. We're just getting old.
Apr 1, 2023 12:17 AM
May 2021
AaronPvP said:
i completely agree, like, this anime is just SO underrated! His characters are tree-dimensional and so memorable! What about the horror dude, i shat my pants every second watching all that edgy gore that this series has, the music, the animation, the mistery, everything about this anime is just so brilliant, i can't really understand the people that talk trash about this anime, i guess they are probably pretentious pseudo intellectual snobs in which their favorite animes are series like Lain and all that type of boring stuff... 😒

Ya fr, they like those elfen lied shit with trash storyline but wouldn't watch Higurashi lol
Apr 1, 2023 12:18 AM
May 2021
Uutama said:
There was a time when people talked about it. It wasn't crazy popular or anything, but in most anime circles everyone at least knew about it. Nowadays, a lot has tried to copy its style and it has mostly faded away as an anime whose popularity was lost to time.

Think about it for a bit and recall all of the popular shows from each season/year from many years ago. There was a time when things like Yu Yu Hakusho and InuYasha were talked about endlessly; nowadays, not so much. What about Beyblade or Tokyo Mew Mew? At one point, whether you or I would consider them good or bad, were extremely popular.

Ya true, old shows will fade away later on
Apr 1, 2023 12:18 AM
May 2021
Bijou146 said:
Apratim said:

One of my top favorite anime/manga of all time, PEAK FICTION at its finest

Agreed man 🔥🔥, really peak
Apr 1, 2023 12:20 AM
May 2021
Shin18 said:
It's definitely a great series, but i wouldn't call it underrated at all. Also should've called it underappreciated or something instead from what you've said

Yes, Underappreciated would be the correct term
Apr 1, 2023 12:33 AM

Dec 2009
I'm only at Episode 3 while having procrastinated in completing the anime for years since completing the original visual novel last year, 
so I wouldn't know compared to others- also because I've watched very few horror anime, but

Even with its comic relief tone, the original itself from the story's mystery and supernatural element, along with its twists in how it confuses you so many times while you slowly learn more, to then the truth... it is a great psychological experience. In that sense, it's easily one of the best.

Although, as popular as it is, I can already tell it isn't as great as the slow tension you can build up to like from the visual novel, because the anime rushes a bit too much as far as I can already tell. 
It's a bit too immature at times which is a little dull, but it's simply a reminder to the audience that these are kids who just want to enjoy life playing together and having fun, in this extraordinary circumstance. The great thing about this story is the mystery of it all, the horror and how they're affected in this world, to then how they end up.
waalex11Apr 1, 2023 12:41 AM
Apr 1, 2023 1:03 AM
May 2021
waalex11 said:
I'm only at Episode 3 while having procrastinated in completing the anime for years since completing the original visual novel last year, 
so I wouldn't know compared to others- also because I've watched very few horror anime, but

Even with its comic relief tone, the original itself from the story's mystery and supernatural element, along with its twists in how it confuses you so many times while you slowly learn more, to then the truth... it is a great psychological experience. In that sense, it's easily one of the best.

Although, as popular as it is, I can already tell it isn't as great as the slow tension you can build up to like from the visual novel, because the anime rushes a bit too much as far as I can already tell. 
It's a bit too immature at times which is a little dull, but it's simply a reminder to the audience that these are kids who just want to enjoy life playing together and having fun, in this extraordinary circumstance. The great thing about this story is the mystery of it all, the horror and how they're affected in this world, to then how they end up.

Well yeah. Anime can't get so lengthy as visual novel so they have to cut it short. But still this series nailed it
Apr 1, 2023 1:20 AM
Nov 2022
I’m guessing it’s because of the people that played the visual novels seeing the anime itself.
Apr 1, 2023 3:37 AM

Jun 2019
Uutama said:

Then there are some of us who, at least speaking for myself, really feel out of place, because we didn't watch either this series or many other now considered "older" shows until long after they aired, which is an interesting space to occupy. For example, I didn't even know Higurashi existed until shortly (like days or weeks) before I ended up watching it, which was in the spring of 2019. Didn't really ever give serious thought to anime as a concept or know it existed beyond some vague abstract notion before 2016. In 2006, I was very much alive and consuming plenty of TV series, films, and other media, but not anime and was completely and wholly ignorant of anime as a thing. 

And that experience and others like it always makes me wonder what percentage of those talking about the series today or any now "older" series are newer fans compared to the original viewership and fanbase some of whom may have inevitably gotten sick and incapacitated or died, lost interest, busy with other things in life, etc. Most series will probably never be as popular as when they first air as televised seasonals, but 2006 isn't exactly the silent film era and like trying to recover a reel from the early 1910s. There's nothing really holding anyone back from discovery of and exposure to it other than lack of general awareness.  The mixture of genres may be offputting or too weird and novel for some, but it's definitely not a quality issue as much as it is just a "Is this put in front of people's faces at this current moment or not through advertising and well-known mainstream online streaming platforms" issue and how that skews the perception of accessibility.  
WatchTillTandavaApr 1, 2023 3:41 AM
Apr 1, 2023 11:38 AM

Mar 2017
WatchTillTandava said:
Uutama said:

Then there are some of us who, at least speaking for myself, really feel out of place, because we didn't watch either this series or many other now considered "older" shows until long after they aired, which is an interesting space to occupy. For example, I didn't even know Higurashi existed until shortly (like days or weeks) before I ended up watching it, which was in the spring of 2019. Didn't really ever give serious thought to anime as a concept or know it existed beyond some vague abstract notion before 2016. In 2006, I was very much alive and consuming plenty of TV series, films, and other media, but not anime and was completely and wholly ignorant of anime as a thing. 

And that experience and others like it always makes me wonder what percentage of those talking about the series today or any now "older" series are newer fans compared to the original viewership and fanbase some of whom may have inevitably gotten sick and incapacitated or died, lost interest, busy with other things in life, etc. Most series will probably never be as popular as when they first air as televised seasonals, but 2006 isn't exactly the silent film era and like trying to recover a reel from the early 1910s. There's nothing really holding anyone back from discovery of and exposure to it other than lack of general awareness.  The mixture of genres may be offputting or too weird and novel for some, but it's definitely not a quality issue as much as it is just a "Is this put in front of people's faces at this current moment or not through advertising and well-known mainstream online streaming platforms" issue and how that skews the perception of accessibility.  
That's actually a very interesting topic. I watched Higurashi back in 2008 or 2009, back when I was 13 or 14 years old, and I have loved it ever since. That's why I always try to keep my avatar as something related to Higurashi since it meant so much to me and still does. In 2011 Madoka Magica came out and I watched it once the Tsunami hit Japan because I wanted to feel like I could support them somehow. I instantly fell in love with that too. Gurren Lagann, however, I did not watch until I graduated high school in the summer of 2014. Despite it being 7 years after it came out, people were still talking about it, so I guess I was lucky to find yet another piece of media that inspired me more than anything else. 

That being said, I know not everyone is so lucky. Either you jump on board or miss the boat these days. I remember playing The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild at launch and the community collectively tried to figure out all of the secrets, easter eggs, and more. It was a really cool experience. Now, everything is online and mapped out, so that sense of discovering things as a community isn't there anymore. New players can't have that same experience. it's still a great game and therefore a great experience, but playing it when it first came out was a completely different one. It doesn't make it any less interesting, but eventually the community will jump onto something else such as the new game releasing in a couple of months. It's inevitable that something will fade the longer it's around for.

I think another really interesting one to look at is Osamu Tezuka. Everyone knows it's great, but nobody talks about it. These manga and anime series released like 60 years ago! Why talk about what has already been talked to death about when everyone already knows how amazing it was when it came out. But maybe it's just that: when. Is it still good? Do people still have fun watching or reading it? It's subjective, but to most people, probably not. They want the biggest, coolest, newest thing. We always want to move forward, but we neglect the past. It's a bit somber, but it makes sense. People like us try our best to remember and keep those things alive. Just keep on the tradition. :)
Apr 1, 2023 11:41 AM
Mar 2012
Yeah I would say it's underappreciated, but time will do that. This is from 2006.
I highly recommend playing the VN if you liked the anime. It's a million times longer but far more chilling. Onikakushi is free on Steam if you want to try.
Apr 1, 2023 12:05 PM
May 2021
NekoAleu said:
Yeah I would say it's underappreciated, but time will do that. This is from 2006.
I highly recommend playing the VN if you liked the anime. It's a million times longer but far more chilling. Onikakushi is free on Steam if you want to try.

These days I don't have much time to play visual novel. But will give it a try sometime in future for sure
Apr 1, 2023 4:14 PM
Aug 2022
It’s just a pity that sotsu lost so much of what made the series spectacular, Gou I think was really good and I still love the “villain reveal” I think it was handled very well but aside from a handful of scenes Sotsu was abysmal
Apr 7, 2023 10:09 PM

Feb 2016
Apratim said:
Higurashi is neither scary nor thrilling.

Uutama said:
I think another really interesting one to look at is Osamu Tezuka. Everyone knows it's great, but nobody talks about it. These manga and anime series released like 60 years ago! Why talk about what has already been talked to death about when everyone already knows how amazing it was when it came out.
I didn't know, precisely because nobody talks about it. Knowledge isn't something that spontaneously manifests in one's brain.
その目だれの目?
Apr 7, 2023 10:11 PM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
I don't think so it's a very famous VN and anime.
Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Apr 7, 2023 10:20 PM
May 2021
Lucifrost said:
Apratim said:

Uutama said:
I think another really interesting one to look at is Osamu Tezuka. Everyone knows it's great, but nobody talks about it. These manga and anime series released like 60 years ago! Why talk about what has already been talked to death about when everyone already knows how amazing it was when it came out.
I didn't know, precisely because nobody talks about it. Knowledge isn't something that spontaneously manifests in one's brain.

Bruh there were so many thrilling scenes in this anime. Just take the first arc for example, Each of the 4 episodes were dam good, to make you stay at the edge of the seat
Apr 7, 2023 10:21 PM
May 2021
Helltaker said:
I don't think so it's a very famous VN and anime.

These days it has faded away. Like rarely someone mentions it.Even during some horror anime recommendation most people will say Another and all. Only some people will say Higurashi
Apr 8, 2023 10:08 AM

Mar 2017
Lucifrost said:
Apratim said:

Uutama said:
You didn't know that the man called "The Godfather of Anime" has created good works? I'm pretty sure everyone has at least heard of Astro Boy and can attest to knowing about its success. It's literally in your favorite anime. Stop trolling please.
Apr 8, 2023 10:21 AM

Feb 2016
Uutama said:
You didn't know that the man called "The Godfather of Anime" has created good works? I'm pretty sure everyone has at least heard of Astro Boy and can attest to knowing about its success. It's literally in your favorite anime. Stop trolling please.
Astro Boy is in my favorites NOW. I didn't know it was good UP UNTIL I WATCHED IT, because its average score is 7.01. I didn't grow up knowing its creator had made other anime, and I definitely never heard anyone call him "The Godfather of Anime." I don't see you giving @WatchTillTandava a hard time for admitting he had never heard of Higurashi before 2019.
その目だれの目?
Apr 8, 2023 10:26 AM

Mar 2017
Lucifrost said:
Uutama said:
Astro Boy is in my favorites NOW. I didn't know it was good UP UNTIL I WATCHED IT, because its average score is 7.01. I didn't grow up knowing its creator had made other anime, and I definitely never heard anyone call him "The Godfather of Anime." I don't see you giving @WatchTillTandava a hard time for admitting he had never heard of Higurashi before 2019.
Do me a favor and google "The Godfather of Anime." So you didn't hear about it until you watched it? Okay, whatever. Either way, it's a pop culture icon that is known by many. You need not be so defensive over a technicality; it's rather unbecoming of you to make such a statement.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.