Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 1, 2022 1:19 PM
Jul 2018
So, I finished season 1 and loved it (for the most part). Just like half this website, I think that Revy is an amazing character and high key best girl. But good God, Rock got on my nerves. By the time we got to the end every single time Revy sarcastically pressed her gun to his head I kept praying that she'd blow his brains out. His pretentious monologues drive me up a wall and I feel like a lot of it has to do with A) Japanese cultural ideologies (which isn't something that bothers me that much) but B) it really seems to impact Revy's arc in a way which ... I feel kind of iffy about.

For those of you who have seen the second and third season, my question to you is this: does Rock ever stop being a whiny little bitch? It's not that I'm afraid of Revy changing, I think she has the potential for a really compelling character arc across these seasons, but I'm not sure that I'm gonna get any kind of entertainment out of it based on how Rock is being framed as 100% in the right for a lot of his little stints of morality, and how he seems to be her "savior" when it comes to his attitude. (But maybe that's the whole fantasy of this show, that you get to "fix" a girl like Revy?)

TL;DR I need some opinions on how Rock progresses as a character because I don't want to waste my time watching Revy have a "change of heart" because of this annoying little manlet.
Aug 1, 2022 1:33 PM
Oct 2020
Yes he develops a lot. He becomes more cunning and less innocent.

Once you get to Roberta’s blood trail, one of the key plot points is that Rock is becoming more cold and manipulative because of his surroundings and experiences in the city.

Revy is conflicted because she always saw Rock as innocent and different from everyone in the city and she liked that about him. So she isn’t sure how she feels about how the city is changing him.

So it’s kind of the opposite of the way you think it will go. Instead of Revy going more towards Rock’s mentality, it’s actually Rock going more towards Revy’s.
Aug 1, 2022 1:39 PM

Jan 2017
all_marbles_lost said:
For those of you who have seen the second and third season, my question to you is this: does Rock ever stop being a whiny little bitch?

Yes , the 2nd half of the 2nd Season , and especially its ending , completely changed Rock.

but I'm not sure that I'm gonna get any kind of entertainment out of it based on how Rock is being framed as 100% in the right for a lot of his little stints of morality, and how he seems to be her "savior" when it comes to his attitude. (But maybe that's the whole fantasy of this show, that you get to "fix" a girl like Revy?)

TL;DR I need some opinions on how Rock progresses as a character because I don't want to waste my time watching Revy have a "change of heart" because of this annoying little manlet.

In my opinion , it's exactly what the relationship Rock and Revy is about.

Revy experienced many things that made her believe that the world is all black.
Or atleast , it's what she show to other , as she know that it's in reality grayish , but think that she doesn't have the right to enjoy it.
She seems to like the fact that there is a little somewhere where peoples aren't as damned as herself.
Rock is totally white/innocent , but is little by little corrupted by the darknes of Roanapur , and it makes Revy extremely uneasy.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Aug 1, 2022 2:44 PM

Jul 2015
By the end he is completely different person.
One particular event completely breaks and changes him.

Aug 1, 2022 3:09 PM
Oct 2020
Season 2 is the reason it's one of my favorite anime. Season 1 is a lot of fun but season 2 is just so phenomenal in terms of themes and character growth. The OVA is also really good. So yeah I recommend checking out the rest.
Aug 1, 2022 3:21 PM
Negator

Mar 2022
Alexioos95 said:
all_marbles_lost said:
For those of you who have seen the second and third season, my question to you is this: does Rock ever stop being a whiny little bitch?

Yes , the 2nd half of the 2nd Season , and especially its ending , completely changed Rock.

but I'm not sure that I'm gonna get any kind of entertainment out of it based on how Rock is being framed as 100% in the right for a lot of his little stints of morality, and how he seems to be her "savior" when it comes to his attitude. (But maybe that's the whole fantasy of this show, that you get to "fix" a girl like Revy?)

Or atleast , it's what she show to other , as she know that it's in reality grayish , but think that she doesn't have the right to enjoy it.
She seems to like the fact that there is a little somewhere where peoples aren't as damned as herself.
Rock is totally white/innocent , but is little by little corrupted by the darknes of Roanapur , and it makes Revy extremely uneasy.

Exactly! I love the dynamic and growth between Rock and Revy, the duality between them is so intriguing. If only Rei Hiroe didn’t take forever to make new chapters, I need more seasons already. It’s one of the most fun anime I’ve watched, yet can get surprisingly deep at times.
Aug 1, 2022 3:27 PM
Jan 2021
Revy get naked in season 3, that should be enough to go on
Aug 1, 2022 3:32 PM
Aug 2015
Mq84jdk said:
Yes he develops a lot. He becomes more cunning and less innocent.

Once you get to Roberta’s blood trail, one of the key plot points is that Rock is becoming more cold and manipulative because of his surroundings and experiences in the city.

Revy is conflicted because she always saw Rock as innocent and different from everyone in the city and she liked that about him. So she isn’t sure how she feels about how the city is changing him.

So it’s kind of the opposite of the way you think it will go. Instead of Revy going more towards Rock’s mentality, it’s actually Rock going more towards Revy’s.

Right on the money. In Roberta's Blood Trail, he plans out everything that happens almost Aizen-style and he even shows a sinister darkside that rivaled Revy's
Aug 1, 2022 4:03 PM

Mar 2021
Dirittoprocedura said:
Revy get naked in season 3, that should be enough to go on

Man that was the best scene in season 3 by far.
Aug 1, 2022 4:06 PM

Mar 2021
all_marbles_lost said:
So, I finished season 1 and loved it (for the most part). Just like half this website, I think that Revy is an amazing character and high key best girl. But good God, Rock got on my nerves. By the time we got to the end every single time Revy sarcastically pressed her gun to his head I kept praying that she'd blow his brains out. His pretentious monologues drive me up a wall and I feel like a lot of it has to do with A) Japanese cultural ideologies (which isn't something that bothers me that much) but B) it really seems to impact Revy's arc in a way which ... I feel kind of iffy about.

For those of you who have seen the second and third season, my question to you is this: does Rock ever stop being a whiny little bitch? It's not that I'm afraid of Revy changing, I think she has the potential for a really compelling character arc across these seasons, but I'm not sure that I'm gonna get any kind of entertainment out of it based on how Rock is being framed as 100% in the right for a lot of his little stints of morality, and how he seems to be her "savior" when it comes to his attitude. (But maybe that's the whole fantasy of this show, that you get to "fix" a girl like Revy?)

Black Lagoon the second barrage is imo peak anime it was a 10/10 season with incredible set pieces and a switchup from Roanapur the Japanese arc is the best arc in the anime. My thoughts on Blood Trail OVA is that you have to search out the OVA from Funimation or other sites to get the hq edition and then it’s pretty good don’t watch it on SD. It wasn’t as good as other arcs.
Aug 1, 2022 4:54 PM
May 2021
Felt the same way about him at first but yeah he develops a lot later on
Aug 1, 2022 7:32 PM
Nov 2021
Alexioos95 said:
all_marbles_lost said:

But no matter how much she bitches and complains she trust him completely and will do whatever he says and for better or worse he knows it. I don’t think he’ll do anything to hurt her but he will make her uncomfortable.
Aug 1, 2022 9:40 PM
May 2022
I think you should
Aug 2, 2022 6:18 AM
Dec 2021
all_marbles_lost said:

the second season is a lot better, and even though its slept on the OVA is really good too
Aug 2, 2022 7:58 AM
May 2011
While technically correct, I don't think these responses address OP's issues with the series. Rock is still very idealistic throughout season 2, and the final arc bluntly addresses this. Likewise, the final arc of season 2 clearly displays that Revy has changed, with "season 3" explicitly spelling it out. Depending on how much you don't like Rock or the affect he has on Revy, season 2 is a tough watch. And if you love badass Revy who gives no shits, you probably won't like "season 3" either
Aug 2, 2022 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
Fail_Man_X said:
While technically correct, I don't think these responses address OP's issues with the series. Rock is still very idealistic throughout season 2, and the final arc bluntly addresses this. Likewise, the final arc of season 2 clearly displays that Revy has changed, with "season 3" explicitly spelling it out. Depending on how much you don't like Rock or the affect he has on Revy, season 2 is a tough watch. And if you love badass Revy who gives no shits, you probably won't like "season 3" either

finally, a response that directly addresses my concerns ))) thank you for being honest! as much as i adored season 1, i think the direction I’d want revy to go is still ultimately a lot more interesting in my head than it seems the latter seasons go.
Aug 2, 2022 11:40 AM
May 2011
all_marbles_lost said:
Fail_Man_X said:

finally, a response that directly addresses my concerns ))) thank you for being honest! as much as i adored season 1, i think the direction I’d want revy to go is still ultimately a lot more interesting in my head than it seems the latter seasons go.

They're not wrong. Rock does change, I'm just not sure if you'd be willing to sit through 12 more episodes to get there. Especially the Japan arc where he doubles down after being confronted about his hypocrisy, and I think you would absolutely hate Revy's reaction to it. But maybe I'm wrong. What is your ideal character arc for Revy?
Aug 2, 2022 11:51 AM

Jun 2015
Maybe I’m nit picking, but I feel like Rock doesn’t develop in the following seasons. Rather, I see him embracing what was always there— his hungry and competitive business monster.
Aug 2, 2022 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
Fail_Man_X said:
all_marbles_lost said:

They're not wrong. Rock does change, I'm just not sure if you'd be willing to sit through 12 more episodes to get there. Especially the Japan arc where he doubles down after being confronted about his hypocrisy, and I think you would absolutely hate Revy's reaction to it. But maybe I'm wrong. What is your ideal character arc for Revy?

It's really hard for me to phrase this concisely, but I guess I can summarize it this way:
It's not that I am hoping to have Revy go in any one particular direction (I'd be just as interested in a 'redemption' arc for her as I would be in seeing her completely lose her shit), I just don't want it to be framed like Rock is the one that "fixed" her.
Aug 2, 2022 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
MrGween said:
Maybe I’m nit picking, but I feel like Rock doesn’t develop in the following seasons. Rather, I see him embracing what was always there— his hungry and competitive business monster.

you're confusing "development" with "improvement" there, friend ;) development can mean a trajectory in any direction, be it beneficial/positive or not
Aug 2, 2022 2:46 PM
May 2011
all_marbles_lost said:
Fail_Man_X said:

It's really hard for me to phrase this concisely, but I guess I can summarize it this way:
It's not that I am hoping to have Revy go in any one particular direction (I'd be just as interested in a 'redemption' arc for her as I would be in seeing her completely lose her shit), I just don't want it to be framed like Rock is the one that "fixed" her.

I rewatched the series recently (except for the OVAs), and while I didn't love it as much as I did initially, I still really enjoyed it. In most cases, I would recommend the series. Season 2 is worth it just to see Balalaika being a boss. I went back to check, and the Japan arc is actually half of the second season, and I think you would find Rock insufferable. However, it is necessary for his character development going into the OVAs. Then there's Revy. Based on what you've said, I would not recommend the rest of the series, and I'll explain my reasoning in a spoiler tag if you're interested.

Aug 2, 2022 3:44 PM
Apr 2020
We’ll it’s more content so ide say yes

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

seita - Aug 23, 2008

132 by Scarface_1 »»
Apr 16, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

djinn_690 - May 25, 2008

141 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 12:07 AM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

slashed - Feb 27, 2008

164 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:30 AM

» Sub or dub? ( 1 2 )

Headpatts - Oct 17, 2022

50 by Kirino »»
Mar 2, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OmegaRed - Dec 16, 2008

81 by bubba460z »»
Feb 20, 3:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.