Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 12, 2022 3:35 AM

May 2020
Kyoto Animation seem to be big fans of canon anime films to go along with their anime series, however they tend to be as a finale. With the almost certain 3rd season of Hibike! Euphonium coming at some point, it is really questionable why KyotoAni decide to turn the 2nd year into a movie. I really cant for the life of me figure it out. Not only was it just normal Hibike Euphonium but slightly downgraded, it really wasted a lot of the characters while at the same time not setting up future good ones.

Characters like Natsuki, Yuuko, Mizore, and Gotou were extremely interesting and brought a lot of depth to the cast. So many of these characters were given significant screen time in the show, so it just seems silly they were thrown away for a hour thirty minute film. With the 2nd and 3rd years now gone, the cast of Hibike! Euphonium is very weak. None of the new characters are particularly interesting, especially not the annoying brat Asuka wannabe.

Pretty much, the entire show rests on the shoulders of Reina and Kumiko. Which would be great! The character dynamic between these two for the first two seasons was nothing short of perfection. Except the film also kinda killed that future, as they relegated Reina to a side character and made Kumiko/Shuuichi happen. Like cmon, everyone knows the best parts of this show are when Kumiko and Reina interact.

I honestly do not know where Hibike! Euphonium can go from here without creating a worse version of what they have already done. And to be honest, I think this film is the cause of that. Similiar to how Star Wars: The Last Jedi screwed up the sequels, I think this movie has done a lot of harm for this series.
Jul 12, 2022 5:08 AM

Jul 2015
Yes, yuri fetishists are crying. We know.

Anyway, I always thought this movie to be skippable and forgettable. Not sure why KyoAni even decided to do it. I know they have talent for movies, but just covering 3rd year as TV series would be way better idea.

Jul 12, 2022 7:21 AM
Struggler

Dec 2020
Yeah, it bummed me out when I watched this one as well. The movie format works great for Liz and the Blue Bird, especially with Naoko Yamada at the helm, but that film is almost entirely centered around Mizore and Nozomi and their friendship and struggles.

Like you pointed out, the year 2 movie shoves a super condensed and rushed storyline of an entire school year into a single short (1 hr 40 min) movie, with a series like Hibike, where the main cast of characters is quite broad. It's even more obvious in comparison to the first two seasons, which took painstaking effort to spend time on fleshing out the many friendships, rivalries, and struggles within the group. You feel like you're spending time with this band, and you get to see them become better at their instruments because of the pacing of those seasons.

And I do think it comes down to pacing. Just like you're saying, the main reason it feels so much weaker is because it's in this tiny movie format imo. If this school year had been made into a season, even a short one, it would've given the story room to breathe, and made Kumiko's struggles as a 2nd year more palpable.

We did get something amazing from this movie however, which is the Liz and the Blue Bird performance, one of my favorite scenes in all of anime. Honestly, this piece being in the film is the main reason I've got the movie scored as an 8 rather than something lower.

I double checked the release date out of curiosity, and it looks like it was 2019. It's possible the 2018 arson tragedy had some sort of effect on the production, but I honestly have no clue. It's also possible they already had almost everything done for the movie, and that they had just decided to do a pair of movies for year 2, rather than Liz and the Blue Bird + a season, which I can understand from a production standpoint.

Regardless, despite this movie easily being the weak link in Sound Euphonium, it's definitely not enough to knock this series out of the top KyoAni works in my book, still up there with Violet Evergarden, A Silent Voice, and Nichijou for me. While I was also let down by the movie, similar to you, I am super excited to see Kumiko's 3rd year and where the rest of this story goes.

Jul 12, 2022 7:56 AM
Jul 2019
GabrahamLincoln said:
I double checked the release date out of curiosity, and it looks like it was 2019. It's possible the 2018 arson tragedy had some sort of effect on the production, but I honestly have no clue. It's also possible they already had almost everything done for the movie, and that they had just decided to do a pair of movies for year 2, rather than Liz and the Blue Bird + a season, which I can understand from a production standpoint.

The arson was in 2019 and the movie was screened a few months before it happened.
Jul 12, 2022 10:45 AM
Mar 2022
I'm probably the minority on this but I never cared much for the main characters. Mizore was my favorite character, and Liz and the Blue Bird gave me everything I wanted to see from her. But as for the main story of Hibike I just don't think it's that amazing, but I'm going to stick with it through to the end.
Jul 12, 2022 1:20 PM

May 2020
GabrahamLincoln said:
Yeah, it bummed me out when I watched this one as well. The movie format works great for Liz and the Blue Bird, especially with Naoko Yamada at the helm, but that film is almost entirely centered around Mizore and Nozomi and their friendship and struggles.

Like you pointed out, the year 2 movie shoves a super condensed and rushed storyline of an entire school year into a single short (1 hr 40 min) movie, with a series like Hibike, where the main cast of characters is quite broad. It's even more obvious in comparison to the first two seasons, which took painstaking effort to spend time on fleshing out the many friendships, rivalries, and struggles within the group. You feel like you're spending time with this band, and you get to see them become better at their instruments because of the pacing of those seasons.

And I do think it comes down to pacing. Just like you're saying, the main reason it feels so much weaker is because it's in this tiny movie format imo. If this school year had been made into a season, even a short one, it would've given the story room to breathe, and made Kumiko's struggles as a 2nd year more palpable.

We did get something amazing from this movie however, which is the Liz and the Blue Bird performance, one of my favorite scenes in all of anime. Honestly, this piece being in the film is the main reason I've got the movie scored as an 8 rather than something lower.

Regardless, despite this movie easily being the weak link in Sound Euphonium, it's definitely not enough to knock this series out of the top KyoAni works in my book, still up there with Violet Evergarden, A Silent Voice, and Nichijou for me. While I was also let down by the movie, similar to you, I am super excited to see Kumiko's 3rd year and where the rest of this story goes.

Theres just nothing to look forward to with Kumiko. Shes not a particularly outstanding Euphonium player, and a lot of the appeal of her character for me was the humor in her interactions with other characters. There is no chemistry between her and the male MC, and its brutal knowing theres going to be more screentime between these two in seaosn 3
Jul 12, 2022 8:25 PM
Struggler

Dec 2020
lolechka04 said:
GabrahamLincoln said:

The arson was in 2019 and the movie was screened a few months before it happened.
Ah gotcha, thanks for the info.

Jul 12, 2022 8:28 PM

May 2020
I thought i was the only one who thought about this.

Regardless if it has season 3 or not,
You cant deny that this movie was the worst of all of them.
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Jul 12, 2022 8:32 PM

May 2020
Hitagi__Furude said:

they have an OVA coming out before season 3 (both confirmed) so i hope the ova gives more time to the 2nd year instead of being something dumb like a summer episode in between the 2nd and 3rd year
Jul 12, 2022 8:48 PM
Struggler

Dec 2020
CickNipolla said:
GabrahamLincoln said:

Theres just nothing to look forward to with Kumiko. Shes not a particularly outstanding Euphonium player, and a lot of the appeal of her character for me was the humor in her interactions with other characters. There is no chemistry between her and the male MC, and its brutal knowing theres going to be more screentime between these two in seaosn 3
Perhaps for you. I agree her character probably shines best when paired on screen with someone like an Asuka, Reina, or Natsuki, but I still enjoy her in general and am interested to see where year 3 goes. Also, how good someone is at their instrument (or anything really) isn't a metric I personally employ in regards to my enjoyment of them as a character. Take Natsuki, who I like a lot as a character, but spent much of the series so far without performing at the concerts.

In regards to the whole Kumiko Shuuichi stuff, I get the frustration many have, but I guess I don't care as much since I'm not watching the show for the romance in the first place. And I believe anything that is there for year 3 between them will still take a backseat to the overall classroom dynamic and the music itself.

Speaking of which, the music is a huge part of the show for me, and I think it's pretty safe to say that'll still be excellent as par for the course.

So yeah I'm personally still hyped for year 3 :)

Jul 12, 2022 8:50 PM
Struggler

Dec 2020
CickNipolla said:
Hitagi__Furude said:

they have an OVA coming out before season 3 (both confirmed) so i hope the ova gives more time to the 2nd year instead of being something dumb like a summer episode in between the 2nd and 3rd year
Ooh, I didn't know about that, yeah fingers crossed we get a little more year 2 with the OVA

Jul 12, 2022 9:14 PM

May 2020
GabrahamLincoln said:
CickNipolla said:

Perhaps for you. I agree her character probably shines best when paired on screen with someone like an Asuka, Reina, or Natsuki, but I still enjoy her in general and am interested to see where year 3 goes. Also, how good someone is at their instrument (or anything really) isn't a metric I personally employ in regards to my enjoyment of them as a character. Take Natsuki, who I like a lot as a character, but spent much of the series so far without performing at the concerts.

In regards to the whole Kumiko Shuuichi stuff, I get the frustration many have, but I guess I don't care as much since I'm not watching the show for the romance in the first place. And I believe anything that is there for year 3 between them will still take a backseat to the overall classroom dynamic and the music itself.

Speaking of which, the music is a huge part of the show for me, and I think it's pretty safe to say that'll still be excellent as par for the course.

The problem with the romance they are going for in Hibike! Euphonium is its not deserved or earned, at all. I think ship wars are extremely cringe, especially when it comes to shonen shows. But like, for the first two seasons Kumiko could not have cared less about the guy. She would shrug him off anytime they talked, and they have 0 chemistry. The anime adaption chose to give Kumiko and Reina extra scenes together, while at the same time cutting out scenes with the guy.

Nobody watches Hibike for romance, but when the romance part of it is so poorly done its just extremely frustating, since I think the show is a 10/10 without it.
Jul 12, 2022 9:46 PM
Struggler

Dec 2020
CickNipolla said:
GabrahamLincoln said:

The problem with the romance they are going for in Hibike! Euphonium is its not deserved or earned, at all. I think ship wars are extremely cringe, especially when it comes to shonen shows. But like, for the first two seasons Kumiko could not have cared less about the guy. She would shrug him off anytime they talked, and they have 0 chemistry. The anime adaption chose to give Kumiko and Reina extra scenes together, while at the same time cutting out scenes with the guy.

Nobody watches Hibike for romance, but when the romance part of it is so poorly done its just extremely frustating, since I think the show is a 10/10 without it.

Yeah I definitely feel you there. It kind of gets to the point of feeling unnecessary.

May 4, 4:27 AM

Jun 2017
Other than grievances from adamant yuri fans and shippers*, I dont really understand the dissent against the “””romance””” in Hibike. The show doesn’t *really* (in any explicit terms) sanction any actual romantic pairing until this movie, and in this movie all of the relational developments are nerfed in telling anyway because it’s so nerfed by the so much happening being so condensed.

* In retrospect I self-resolved why some such viewers would complain. the sentiments are self-explanatory

More topics from this board

» Does Kumiko actually romantically like Asuka?

OugiRevolution - Mar 1, 2020

9 by realivanjx »»
Apr 24, 9:05 AM

» Kumiko x Reina ?

removed-user - Jan 23, 2022

7 by saikyozero »»
Apr 15, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Movie 3: Chikai no Finale Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Apr 18, 2019

125 by luminality »»
Apr 7, 3:51 AM

» Anyone else feel a certain trombone player needs more love? ( 1 2 )

shanimebib - Feb 8, 2019

64 by Marsen-P »»
Feb 13, 2:39 PM

» question about this

MeganeKun_ - Jun 13, 2022

12 by WiskleGEX »»
Jun 13, 2022 11:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.