Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 23, 2022 12:28 AM

Apr 2022
Hi All! I've been working on a site for personalized anime recommendations for a while and I'd love to get your opinions on it! You can try it out here:

https://anime.ameo.dev/

It uses your anime list + ratings to generate tailored recommendations. It includes the ability to filter and narrow the returned recommendations to help you zero in on what you're interested in.

The site also has an experimental tool I'm calling the "Atlas" which is an interactive 2D visualization of over 10k anime. It loads your MAL profile so you can see where the shows and genres you enjoy the most are with respect to everything else out there. You can try it out here:

https://anime.ameo.dev/pymde_3d_40n

Please do let me know what you think! I'm interested to hear what you think about the generated recommendations, and how easy it is to use the site etc. I'd also be happy to answer questions about how I built it if anyone is interested :)
ameo___Jul 8, 2022 1:05 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 23, 2022 12:50 AM

Jan 2009
this looks cool and from what i see on mine its good since i was planning to watch some of the recommendations already like The Dragon Dentist

i recommend you post this on reddit /r/anime too
May 23, 2022 4:23 AM
May 2016
THIs is pretty poggers
May 23, 2022 11:38 PM

Apr 2022
deg said:
this looks cool and from what i see on mine its good since i was planning to watch some of the recommendations already like The Dragon Dentist

i recommend you post this on reddit /r/anime too

I'm glad to hear it! thanks for checking it out :)

I will post to reddit once I make a few more finishing touches - ty for the suggestion
May 24, 2022 12:09 AM

Aug 2009
...Why the fuck would I want to watch Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within?

May 24, 2022 12:31 AM

Apr 2022
FacelessVixen said:
...Why the fuck would I want to watch Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within?

It seems to be picking up on some other Final Fantasy stuff you've rated. https://ameo.link/u/9ym.png

It's a good point though - that movie seems to be rated quite poorly so it probably should be down-ranked in recommendations. I currently treat ratings of 6 or higher as "positive" when training the model; I will look into doing scaled values rather than binary for the inputs.

Thanks for trying it out btw!
May 24, 2022 12:42 AM

Aug 2009
@ameo___: Yeah; I was kinda expecting shows like Valkyrie Drive, Highschool DxD, Tenjou Tenge, and Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi to show up since I rate a good number of shows with the ecchi and hentai tags pretty highly.

May 24, 2022 12:58 AM

Apr 2022
@FacelessVixen: Ah I see. I think those recommendations are getting drowned out by some of the more popular shows and movies. I do some special handling to help reduce that, and I think I will turn it up a bit more by default.

In the meantime, I turned it up for your recommendations and indeed a few ecchi-tagged things are now showing up in the results. Filtering out some of the tags or ratings you're not interested in right now helps a lot of clear things up as well. You can check this link to see if you're interested: https://anime.ameo.dev/user/FacelessVixen/recommendations?eid=317&eid=408&movies=false&apops=0.01

Thanks again for the feedback - it's quite helpful!
May 24, 2022 2:21 PM

Jul 2019
>uses ratings

Damn, guess I can't use it to its full extent. But this looks wild cool. Well done dude.
May 25, 2022 5:37 PM

Apr 2022
NextUniverse said:
>uses ratings

Damn, guess I can't use it to its full extent. But this looks wild cool. Well done dude.

Do you not rate rate many anime and you're worried it won't pick up on your selections, or something else? I do have some special logic in there for users that rate only a very small % of the animes on their list; it treats all unrated animes as "positive" in that case.

Thanks for trying it though - I appreciate it!
May 25, 2022 5:43 PM

Jul 2019
ameo___ said:
NextUniverse said:
>uses ratings

Do you not rate rate many anime and you're worried it won't pick up on your selections, or something else? I do have some special logic in there for users that rate only a very small % of the animes on their list; it treats all unrated animes as "positive" in that case.

Thanks for trying it though - I appreciate it!

Oh no. It's not that. If you have a look at my rating system you will see that it is absurdly low. But it isn't due to me not liking anime, but using a different rating system altogether. I got some pretty obscure recommendations I think, so I can't tell if this is something entirely accurate. Idk tho. Maybe I should give these a go before saying anything.
May 26, 2022 12:51 AM

Mar 2008
What is extra seasons supposed to be a toggle for? Even when it's off I wind up with franchises I've already been viewing.
May 26, 2022 8:22 PM

Apr 2022
traed said:
What is extra seasons supposed to be a toggle for? Even when it's off I wind up with franchises I've already been viewing.

Hey, thanks for pointing that out! It turns out there were some gaps in the code I used to filter out related animes.

I've updated the site and it should be a lot better now: https://anime.ameo.dev/user/traed/recommendations?specials=false&movies=false

Btw, what do you think about the recommendations overall? I see that there are a decent amount of shows in your "plan to watch list" that are showing up which is a good sign :)
Jun 1, 2022 4:56 PM

Jun 2017
Hmm nice I really like the "Popularity Attenuation Factor" but when I click on some of the recommendations, it gives "recommended because" of an anime that I dropped which certainly is something I didn't like (I know my rating is skewed but still) and not just only that there are some recommendations that seem to be completely random like how liking some manner movie and a twitter short makes me want to watch 86 Part 2 (when I don't have 86 in my list at all), the issues remain with all the 3 different models
Jun 5, 2022 2:08 PM
JoJo enthusiast

Dec 2020
Looks pretty neat. :3
The Sealing Club is back, baby!
Jun 6, 2022 10:49 AM

Apr 2022
mhkr said:
it gives "recommended because" of an anime that I dropped which certainly is something I didn't like (I know my rating is skewed but still)

Hi, first of all thanks very much for trying out the site and for giving this feedback.

I will say you're definitely right that I should handle dropped shows specially; they should be treated as negative regardless of rating. I will look into fixing that asap!

Also, I do think it's having a bit of trouble with your unique rating scheme. I know that your Anilist probably doesn't match your MAL 100%, but from what I can see you have a similar rating distribution to your MAL but with your ratings shifted up into the top half of the range instead. I'm curious - if you load from Anilist instead of MAL, how do the ratings compare?

Anyway, tyvm again for the feedback. Having input about unique profiles like yours is very helpful for improving the site! :D
Jun 6, 2022 10:49 AM

Apr 2022
Kuroni_Kuru said:
Looks pretty neat. :3

<3 ty for checking it out!
Jun 6, 2022 12:08 PM

Jun 2017
ameo___ said:
I will say you're definitely right that I should handle dropped shows specially; they should be treated as negative regardless of rating. I will look into fixing that asap!
Hi, well some people might just drop the long stuff (Shin-chan, Conan, etc.) but still love the show but yeah 'generally' something in your dropped list means you didn't like it

Also, I do think it's having a bit of trouble with your unique rating scheme.
yeah I'm sorry about that
I know that your Anilist probably doesn't match your MAL 100%, but from what I can see you have a similar rating distribution to your MAL but with your ratings shifted up into the top half of the range instead. I'm curious - if you load from Anilist instead of MAL, how do the ratings compare?
Like 3 or so of the recommendations are the same anime but overall gives me different shows when using anilist instead of mal as it should (?!) be like this, AniList recommendations seem to be more "accurate" ig

Anyway, tyvm again for the feedback. Having input about unique profiles like yours is very helpful for improving the site! :D
Thanks! uh have fun ig with improving the site with considering some "outlier" like me
Jun 6, 2022 12:18 PM
Jun 2022
I got positive response. Some of the recommendations I got are things I planned to watch.
5615160554Jun 6, 2022 12:37 PM
Jun 6, 2022 12:49 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
reccomendations seem kinda random to me tbh and the reasons below seems to make little sense.

you disliked these 3 wastly different anime so you'll probably like this ''huh?''

the ones based on liked anime rather than disliked anime seem to be more sensible overall

there's nothing on my list that speaks in favour of me liking BL, maybe Tanaka-kun but that's a really big stretch.

I did come across a couple anime that seem a bit interesting though.
Jun 9, 2022 4:42 PM

Apr 2022
Roevhaal said:
reccomendations seem kinda random to me tbh and the reasons below seems to make little sense.

you disliked these 3 wastly different anime so you'll probably like this ''huh?''

Hi! Tyvm for trying out the recommender and for this feedback.

Looking at your profile, it seems that your rating distribution is very low. This is a pretty interesting case that I've not seen very often and it seems that the recommendation model is having a hard time with it.

I'm curious, for all of these animes that you've rated 1s and 2s, do you actually really dislike them? I've seen some people use non-standard rating schemes where they rate any anime that they like and leave ones they don't like unrated and stuff like that.
Jun 9, 2022 6:23 PM

Oct 2014
Some of the recs it gives seems pretty accurate, but some seem like they're out of left field. Why do some say they're based on dislikes alone? That doesn't seem like a good way to judge someone's taste.

I also got one recommendation that just said "because you liked Love Live you'll probably like Love Live", which may be accurate, but isn't particularly helpful. I had extra seasons turned off, but I guess because it's a spinoff rather than a sequel it considered it to be a valid recommendation.
Jun 9, 2022 6:32 PM

Aug 2018
This is actually really cool, good job op
_______I like rocks__
Jun 11, 2022 3:32 AM

Jan 2017
That's cool although I'm pretty sure the recommendation function built into MAL already does this so can't see much use for it personally.

I will say however I checked out your portfolio and that music galaxy project is insane, great work on that. I didn't know three.js was that good, so much potential for stuff definitely going to look more into it.
Jun 11, 2022 12:13 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
ameo___ said:
Roevhaal said:

Hi! Tyvm for trying out the recommender and for this feedback.

Looking at your profile, it seems that your rating distribution is very low. This is a pretty interesting case that I've not seen very often and it seems that the recommendation model is having a hard time with it.

I'm curious, for all of these animes that you've rated 1s and 2s, do you actually really dislike them? I've seen some people use non-standard rating schemes where they rate any anime that they like and leave ones they don't like unrated and stuff like that.

Yea I do, I rate pretty close to standard, maybe on the low end but I do consider a 4/10 to be a subpar anime for example and I do rate everything I watch.

Cneq said:
That's cool although I'm pretty sure the recommendation function built into MAL already does this so can't see much use for it personally.

I will say however I checked out your portfolio and that music galaxy project is insane, great work on that. I didn't know three.js was that good, so much potential for stuff definitely going to look more into it.
Yea no, those are just highly rated anime that are not on your list, I consider it offensive to even call them recomendations.
Jul 8, 2022 12:45 AM

Apr 2022
I've just released a new version of the model, freshly updated with the absolute latest data!

This newest model was trained on over 1,000,000 MAL profiles and contains an increased corpus size so that more, less popular anime are better covered.

Give it a try with your own profile and let me know what you think!
Jul 8, 2022 9:44 AM

Mar 2017
i really like it. all the filter features and information on every recommendation +1. i might use it in the future!

source: @bokarokaku
Jul 9, 2022 11:09 AM

Jun 2021
This reminded me somehow of MALmap by igfod13 https://igfod13.github.io/MALmap/index.html (for anime) / https://igfod13.github.io/MALmap/manga.html (for manga) and MAL Map https://www.malmap.net (only for anime) as well as https://anime.plus because of that stats.

Here's the topic for MALmap:
[WebApp] MALmap: Interactive Visualization of Anime/Manga Recommendations (and your List) [V1.1]

And here's the Reddit thread for MAL Map:
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/s3g2xs/i_made_a_interactive_map_of_anime_based_on_mal/

Yeah, their names are pretty similar. I prefer MALmap by igfod13 because it also caters for manga. Plus, it's more intuitive.
IridescentJauneMay 29, 2023 11:29 AM
Aug 3, 2022 7:07 PM

Aug 2017
You know, I think there should be a rule that sequels will not be recommended if you don't have the prequel added to your list.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Aug 10, 2022 2:40 PM

Apr 2022
Remocracy said:
You know, I think there should be a rule that sequels will not be recommended if you don't have the prequel added to your list.

Yeah that's a fair point. Not much value in recommending season 2 of something if you've not seen season 1.

I'll see what I can do to fix that, ty for the suggestion!
Aug 23, 2022 9:34 AM

Feb 2021
Ooooh, it is basically a anime recommendation star chart! ⭐⭐⭐

🌸 Ancient Jaguar Fiend, Saiko Beast! 🌸
🌸 EN/ESP Variety Vtuber 🌸

💗 twitch.tv/saiko_beast 💗

Aug 23, 2022 4:55 PM
Dec 2020
This idea is great but please put half votes
Aug 31, 2022 12:27 AM

Apr 2022
Brunilde said:

Do you mean on the interactive recommender or for anilist or something else?
Aug 31, 2022 4:06 AM
Dec 2020
ameo___ said:
Brunilde said:

Do you mean on the interactive recommender or for anilist or something else?

I mean something like .5 votes, that eould be cool
Jan 9, 2023 11:50 PM

Apr 2022
Hi!  I've deployed some fixes to a couple of bugs to the site.

If you were having issues with recommendations not loading or the site becoming unresponsive in some cases, they should now be fixed.

Thank you to everyone who's given Sprout a try as well!  I'm hoping to re-train the recommendation model soon with new data from the latest shows released over the past ~6 months, so look forward to that!
Jan 11, 2023 8:06 AM

Mar 2008
Your advanced options menu are broken for me. If you change popularity attenuation factor which shows up originally as medium and only other option i see is none and if I click none then none becomes the only option and medium disappears so it cant be changed more than once. You have a selection for different models but only the default is there but not sure if thats a bug or you just didnt add other models yet. Minor change you could add, I noticed the tags if there is enough of them they go out of bounds of the border where you can’t read the ones at the bottom and there doesnt appear to be a way to scroll down within that to do so. A model that seems doable you could add is a way to only recommend anime based on things like tag combination and studios and VAs etc and not ratings of people are giving an anime and not based on other stuff they watch either so it can be used in a feature to find current seasonal anime to watch since many people will just start watching a show only to drop it later or give hasty ratings for it and other reasons for a different model needed for that purpose.

The newer page Atlas doesnt load up properly for me. I just get the hotspots with no labeling on them just that and the ruler and I cant see any interaction no matter where I tap (touchscreen). I will try again once my internet is working better, maybe its just not loading it fast enough.
traedJan 11, 2023 8:24 AM
Jan 11, 2023 12:14 PM
This is actually really amazing, Ngl I wasn’t expecting it to understand my taste so well.
Jan 11, 2023 3:39 PM

Sep 2020
I was looking for a site like that for a long time, thank you for this work ! It seems to understand my tastes really well tbh
Jan 11, 2023 7:57 PM

Apr 2022
traed said:
Your advanced options menu are broken for me. If you change popularity attenuation factor which shows up originally as medium and only other option i see is none and if I click none then none becomes the only option and medium disappears so it cant be changed more than once.  You have a selection for different models but only the default is there but not sure if thats a bug or you just didnt add other models yet.  Minor change you could add, I noticed the tags if there is enough of them they go out of bounds of the border where you can’t read the ones at the bottom and there doesnt appear to be a way to scroll down within that to do so.  A model that seems doable you could add is a way to only recommend anime based on things like tag combination and studios and VAs etc and not ratings of people are giving an anime and not based on other stuff they watch either so it can be used in a feature to find current seasonal anime to watch since many people will just start watching a show only to drop it later or give hasty ratings for it and other reasons for a different model needed for that purpose.

The newer page Atlas doesnt load up properly for me. I just get the hotspots with no labeling on them just that and the ruler and I cant see any interaction no matter where I tap (touchscreen). I will try again once my internet is working better, maybe its just not loading it fast enough.

Hey, thanks for trying it out!  I'm very curious to hear a bit more info to try to figure out what's going wrong for you.

Could you tell me what browser and operating system you were using to view the site?  Any script blockers, extensions, or other configs you have applied?  I've not encountered those issues before or heard of them happening so I'm eager to find out what's causing them for you.

I'll take a look at the styling of the tag containers when there are a lot of tags active - ty for pointing that out.

A model that seems doable you could add is a way to only recommend anime based on things like tag combination and studios and VAs etc and not ratings of people

This is an approach that many other recommendation systems use.  I found that it tends to give very generic recommendations compared to Sprout's approach because it doesn't have access to the broader context of what makes people enjoy and watch different shows.

Ty again for checking out the site and taking the time to send this feedback!
Jan 11, 2023 7:58 PM

Apr 2022
Fluffygreygrass said:
This is actually really amazing, Ngl I wasn’t expecting it to understand my taste so well.

I'm extremely happy to hear that!  Thanks for trying it out! <3
Jan 11, 2023 7:58 PM

Apr 2022
Mensualite said:
I was looking for a site like that for a long time, thank you for this work ! It seems to understand my tastes really well tbh

That's terrific to hear! Thanks for trying it out!!
Jan 11, 2023 10:55 PM

Mar 2008
ameo___ said:
traed said:
Your advanced options menu are broken for me. If you change popularity attenuation factor which shows up originally as medium and only other option i see is none and if I click none then none becomes the only option and medium disappears so it cant be changed more than once.  You have a selection for different models but only the default is there but not sure if thats a bug or you just didnt add other models yet.  Minor change you could add, I noticed the tags if there is enough of them they go out of bounds of the border where you can’t read the ones at the bottom and there doesnt appear to be a way to scroll down within that to do so.  A model that seems doable you could add is a way to only recommend anime based on things like tag combination and studios and VAs etc and not ratings of people are giving an anime and not based on other stuff they watch either so it can be used in a feature to find current seasonal anime to watch since many people will just start watching a show only to drop it later or give hasty ratings for it and other reasons for a different model needed for that purpose.

Hey, thanks for trying it out!  I'm very curious to hear a bit more info to try to figure out what's going wrong for you.

Could you tell me what browser and operating system you were using to view the site?  Any script blockers, extensions, or other configs you have applied?  I've not encountered those issues before or heard of them happening so I'm eager to find out what's causing them for you.

I'll take a look at the styling of the tag containers when there are a lot of tags active - ty for pointing that out.

A model that seems doable you could add is a way to only recommend anime based on things like tag combination and studios and VAs etc and not ratings of people

This is an approach that many other recommendation systems use.  I found that it tends to give very generic recommendations compared to Sprout's approach because it doesn't have access to the broader context of what makes people enjoy and watch different shows.

Ty again for checking out the site and taking the time to send this feedback!

Safari on iPadOS with no extra scripts or special configurations, just completely default (since iPads are a pain in the ass to even use I havent been able to change anything yet)....I just checked if it’s effecting elsewhere and seems to be not having this issue on Firefox on Android even on a pretty dated version of Android running an ad blocker and modified configuration. So seems to not be my internet connection that was causing the problem with Sprout and Atlas. It’s either the operating system or browser or a combination of both.

Ah yes I figured that sort of model would be pretty generic which is why i suggested it only makes sense for seasonals due to how their info that’s more user based will be unreliable at least early on in airing unless you were to do something like cross reference with their source material if their source is a manga or light novel which might give some clues. I assumed most models would only be looking at tags individually like whatever hits the most tags of someone’s interests at once rather than what combinations of tags make for better success rate. Though I suppose it’s not that useful, was just a thought.
traedJan 11, 2023 11:03 PM
Jan 12, 2023 7:31 AM

Jul 2017
Hey this website looks great! Most of the recommendations for me make sense. Only a few small oddities I noticed. One is that it recommends I watch Ping Pong because I "liked" strike witches. I really didn't, and think I rated it accordingly. The second is that my top tag is "present" and I'm really not sure what that tag means. Also on the top tags chart, the Y value isn't explained
Jan 12, 2023 7:39 AM

Jan 2009
i really like that addition you made about stats and analytics feature
Jan 12, 2023 10:44 AM

Aug 2011
I'm really digging this site! So far the recs I've gotten are majority ones I'm interested in watching or have heard of that peaked my interest. The Atlas is a beautiful visual map, my only thing is the hover and navigation aren't the friendliest to me (I use a mousepad) to zoom. I do really enjoy how all my interests are grouped in a visual way based on their similarities.
desu desu binches
Jan 19, 2023 10:52 PM

Apr 2022
I've just deployed a new version of the model trained with fresh data, including new anime released during the past ~6 months.

Recommendations should be pretty similar to what they were before, but please let me know if you're now seeing anything weird or unexpected for your accounts.
Jan 19, 2023 11:57 PM

Aug 2018
Good job! It was reaaaallly really accurate, many of the stuff was already on my ptw but thats also okay.
Jan 21, 2023 12:58 AM

Feb 2019
Very interesting website and AI you have there!
Apr 2, 2023 7:47 AM
Dec 2019
It's all good, especially for me ho is using this site to look for animes that i watched but didn't remember to put on my mal list, as i did't use this site before and had only a small list, but my question is: when will the recommendations on this site update on the changes of my list?
Apr 3, 2023 10:11 AM

Apr 2022
brayanleo said:
It's all good, especially for me ho is using this site to look for animes that i watched but didn't remember to put on my mal list, as i did't use this site before and had only a small list, but my question is: when will the recommendations on this site update on the changes of my list?
Hi! it will re-fetch your profile after 5 minutes, so if you go back to the site now it should be updated :)

I'm very glad to hear you found the site useful as well; thanks for checking it out!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Aspiring Writer Looking for Feedback

YungStairwell - Yesterday

0 by YungStairwell »»
Yesterday, 10:38 PM

» Violin repertoire progression 1 month

ToastWithNutella - May 6

2 by Alriven »»
Yesterday, 10:23 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

371 by Just_Augos »»
Yesterday, 10:02 PM

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

5 by mo_lave »»
Yesterday, 7:38 PM

» Share an ai anime pic

NowOldCow - Dec 6, 2023

20 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.