Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 14, 2022 7:57 AM

Feb 2020
Please don't just tell VN is better than anime !!!. Tell me what is the exact difference, I don't mind spoiler at all. (though don't include spoiler of VN 5-8)

Please read this blog before answering.
https://subtlechaos.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/umineko-an-anime-and-vn-comparison/

I was searching through internet about difference. Nobody is clearly mentioning what the exact difference are, except for this blog. But after reading the blog, i feel trolled because non of the differences mentioned matter that much (except maybe left out explanation at the ending).

I plan on reading VN. But I don't want to read it from beginning if the difference is minor things such as those mentioned in blog.

So yeah, spoil me a big difference that would make me want to start from beginning
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 14, 2022 8:43 AM

Aug 2010
I played first chapters a long time ago and don’t remember much but I think eventhough anime tried to cover main events, it still cut out HOURS of actual plot and also character development. Both are needed for understanding everything in long term. Anime is more like murder mystery with horror elements, VN goes much much deeper.
Mar 14, 2022 8:50 AM

Feb 2020
Vendea said:
I played first chapters a long time ago and don’t remember much but I think eventhough anime tried to cover main events, it still cut out HOURS of actual plot and also character development. Both are needed for understanding everything in long term. Anime is more like murder mystery with horror elements, VN goes much much deeper.

Can u tell me few major difference u noticed or remember?
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 14, 2022 8:56 AM

Feb 2016
I only watched the 1st arc. I noticed no differences from the game's story, yet I felt none of the excitement I felt with the game. The anime's faster pace results in an entirely different tone.

After checking out your link, I see the blogger agrees the 1st arc made no changes to the story. You'd think that means I would have loved the anime, but I did not.
その目だれの目?
Mar 14, 2022 9:02 AM

Feb 2020
Lucifrost said:
I only watched the 1st arc. I noticed no differences from the game's story, yet I felt none of the excitement I felt with the game. The anime's faster pace results in an entirely different tone.

After checking out your link, I see the blogger agrees the 1st arc made no changes to the story. You'd think that means I would have loved the anime, but I did not.

Whenever, I read any source, I am pretty apathic about "tone" problem. I have noticed a lot of people hate it in many other anime too. But i usually tend to not mind it overall, unless there is something concrete enough. Even in reverse cases where the tone is praised, but content is changed. I usually am the minority who hate it.
AdampkMar 14, 2022 9:05 AM
BIO

Mar 14, 2022 9:08 AM

Feb 2016
@Adampk
I don't think there's any need to play through the whole thing if you're already satisfied with what you saw. The Answer Arcs alone will take up more than enough of your time.
その目だれの目?
Mar 14, 2022 9:17 AM

Feb 2020
@Lucifrost
Ok, thanks

If there is not major plot event missing or altered in a drastic way, i guess i will continue with answers arc
BIO

Mar 14, 2022 11:20 AM

Feb 2020
nexuro01 said:

>Anime squizes together 50-100h of VN into 26 episodes

Unless they miss out some big event/happening or altered some plotline. I don't seen why I should waste 50 -100h. That is too much tbh

>VN has one of best and most fitting OST you’ll ever hear

That is hardly a reason. Anyways I am quite satisfied by anime sound track. Also even if I play answer arc I will hear that, wont I?

>anime shows Beatrice to actually have heart and then it turns out it was just a prank to convience Battler that witches exist, in VN it is not a prank but character development

I kind of can sence it even in anime.

>overall every single character has better development in the VN, like do you even know who Kyrie is after watching anime?

Kyrie is mc's stepmom. I am not sure what is there to not get

Once you read episodes 1-4 you’ll understand why people talk shit about anime

But it takes too much time especially if its same content just expanded, I would be immensely underwhelmed (I dont even rewatch any anime). Plus I hate reading vn format tbh. Only reason I want to check vn is because I desperate to know what happened next and how are the murders done.

Is it really hard to understand rest of vn if I have just seen anime?
AdampkMar 14, 2022 11:23 AM
BIO

Mar 14, 2022 11:37 AM

Feb 2020
nexuro01 said:
I'm just trying to point out that anime is a recap of episodes 1-4. I won't be forcing you to read them tho. You can go ahead and read episodes 5-8. After you're done there is a chance you might want to go back and read episodes 1-4 anyway.

well, its a proper recap then its ok. Point of asking this question was to know if its a alternate version or anime original ending/second half or characters were entirely omitted or replace with anime original new ones etc
BIO

Mar 14, 2022 11:45 AM
Jul 2018
anime cuts 99% of the meat the VN has its not even a proper recap that will give you an idea of whats happening its a disjointed mess of a failure dont ever watch the anime make people unwatch it delete their memory of ever watching it
Mar 14, 2022 1:09 PM

Jan 2021
Adaptation's extremely fast pacing made a lot of scenes diffrent from the original VN, few scenes doesn't even make any sense because it was hella rushed and they skipped everything on storyline.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i become a boomer or new seasonals animes are not hitting the spot anymore ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mar 14, 2022 1:13 PM

Feb 2020
Fernehem said:
I don't know what harm it is in experiencing the story in a better way. If you can't download vns then you can just watch the playthrough on YouTube. It wil count as playing the vn. No difference. Plus, you have so many anime on your completed list which took years to complete and here you don't have even some hours to spare? People need to stop looking down on visual novels as medium

I already have the vn. Watching anime and playing vn are entirely different experience. its not about me having time, I feel extreme boredom while playing any VN (that i dont feel while watching most anime). it cant be helped, VN is just not my thing.

AdampkMar 14, 2022 1:32 PM
BIO

Mar 14, 2022 4:18 PM

Jun 2016
Fernehem said:
People need to stop looking down on visual novels as medium

Fernehem said:
If you can't download vns then you can just watch the playthrough on YouTube. It wil count as playing the vn. No difference.

You're one to talk.
Mar 26, 2022 11:40 AM

Mar 2022
I'm in the same boat as you! I'm finally gotten around a decade after watching the umineko anime like ok fine I'll read the VNs. Here's what I got so far:

1 - There appears to be a mistake in the anime adaptation for the last twilight of the 3rd game. In fact in the wordpress post you link the author says the details omitted are mundane, but I don't find the omitted details mundane at all! See for yourself (No spoilers for VN 5-8):

https://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/66524/web-of-red-truth-does-the-anime-make-an-adaptation-mistake-for-the-last-part-of

2 - I haven't read the VNs apart from some clips and scenes I've seen on youtube, but I tried looking up solutions to the games in each of the 4 arcs. I was able to understand all of them except the aforementioned. Like it seems that apart from the aforementioned, the anime didn't miss out important info in terms of the mystery and stuff.

Afaiu, the anime adaptation is correct but just not so good. I've been meaning to ask about this on reddit to be make doubly sure though.

1. Eva to Battler Ushiromiya: "human who are crying every single" ( Battler = "w"esley "s"o & Beatrice = Alireza Firouzja ? - Ha6uVGB-Mtw or p1w4Rr-fC )
  2. "b"attler "u"shiromiya: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is proctoring." - p1w4Rr-dU
  3. Update after Hans Niemann 2022: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is a proctologist." - p1w4Rr-dW
  4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  5. Magnus Carlsen is more of a sore loser than Light Yagami & Bandit Keith. See p1w4Rr-jr
  6. Hikaru Nakamura is almost as evil as the Hikaru in Oshi no Ko. See p1w4Rr-jr
  7. xcdhgq
Mar 26, 2022 11:43 AM

Mar 2022
Edocchi said:
Fernehem said:
People need to stop looking down on visual novels as medium

Fernehem said:
If you can't download vns then you can just watch the playthrough on YouTube. It wil count as playing the vn. No difference.

You're one to talk.

Huh? Afaik, there is only 1 choice to make in the VNs leading to 1 of 2 endings. It's not like a multi ending thing like Life is Strange or School Days or a thing where you can die in the middle of playing and so you start over (sort of) like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead...Am I wrong?

1. Eva to Battler Ushiromiya: "human who are crying every single" ( Battler = "w"esley "s"o & Beatrice = Alireza Firouzja ? - Ha6uVGB-Mtw or p1w4Rr-fC )
  2. "b"attler "u"shiromiya: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is proctoring." - p1w4Rr-dU
  3. Update after Hans Niemann 2022: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is a proctologist." - p1w4Rr-dW
  4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  5. Magnus Carlsen is more of a sore loser than Light Yagami & Bandit Keith. See p1w4Rr-jr
  7. xcdhgq
Mar 26, 2022 9:49 PM

Jun 2016
nicbentulan said:
Edocchi said:

You're one to talk.

Huh? Afaik, there is only 1 choice to make in the VNs leading to 1 of 2 endings. It's not like a multi ending thing like Life is Strange or School Days or a thing where you can die in the middle of playing and so you start over (sort of) like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead...Am I wrong?

Not wrong. But you're still being disrespectful if you "read" a ノベルゲーム by watching a video of it being played in auto mode, all while claiming to be a big fan of the medium.
I personally wouldn't like the idea of having someone to flip the pages of the book that I'm reading. I'd want to do it myself.

If you could count the number of titles you've "read" on the fingers of two hands, you probably wouldn't understand the sentiment.

Looks like the guy I quoted has deleted his comment, that's good, it means he's reflecting on what he said after I called him out. And you should too @nicbentulan
Apr 5, 2022 1:51 PM
May 2015
I know I'm late to the discussion but want to point out a few things as someone who did what author intends to do aka watch anime and read VN.

As a whole while I personally agree with many previous statements that you are more invested in the VN and you are able to better understand the story but it is partially because of the reason that it is so long that makes you so invested in it.
I personally liked the anime and I believe it did a good job at retelling the events. You may be lost a little bit in few moments while reading chiru, but as a whole you learned most of what you needed to know. The main issue here is the fact, that, the whole idea of this VN is that it is like a mystery novel of old (As it was clearly based on And then there were none), and that idea becomes kind of distorted if you watch the anime, as you will lack some smaller details that were provided in the VN (as pointed out in previous posts). It is still possible to find out answers yourself though, especially if you're familiar with at least a few mystery novels. It is just a bit more difficult. That being said you can also simply not care and enjoy the story as it unfolds.

Also search for ps3 version restoration patch as version on steam etc is clearly inferior in terms of art, and lack of voice acting which was actually great(especially Furudo Erika and her shenanigans).
GustawApr 5, 2022 2:09 PM
Apr 27, 2022 4:58 AM

Mar 2022
Edocchi said:
nicbentulan said:

Not wrong. But you're still being disrespectful if you "read" a ノベルゲーム by watching a video of it being played in auto mode, all while claiming to be a big fan of the medium.
I personally wouldn't like the idea of having someone to flip the pages of the book that I'm reading. I'd want to do it myself.

If you could count the number of titles you've "read" on the fingers of two hands, you probably wouldn't understand the sentiment.

Looks like the guy I quoted has deleted his comment, that's good, it means he's reflecting on what he said after I called him out. And you should too @nicbentulan

Ok thanks...Happy Easter!

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Apr 27, 2022 5:00 AM

Mar 2022
Gustaw said:
I know I'm late to the discussion but want to point out a few things as someone who did what author intends to do aka watch anime and read VN.

As a whole while I personally agree with many previous statements that you are more invested in the VN and you are able to better understand the story but it is partially because of the reason that it is so long that makes you so invested in it.
I personally liked the anime and I believe it did a good job at retelling the events. You may be lost a little bit in few moments while reading chiru, but as a whole you learned most of what you needed to know. The main issue here is the fact, that, the whole idea of this VN is that it is like a mystery novel of old (As it was clearly based on And then there were none), and that idea becomes kind of distorted if you watch the anime, as you will lack some smaller details that were provided in the VN (as pointed out in previous posts). It is still possible to find out answers yourself though, especially if you're familiar with at least a few mystery novels. It is just a bit more difficult. That being said you can also simply not care and enjoy the story as it unfolds.

Also search for ps3 version restoration patch as version on steam etc is clearly inferior in terms of art, and lack of voice acting which was actually great(especially Furudo Erika and her shenanigans).

Is ps3 = console and steam = original? Happy Easter!

https://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/66700/whats-up-with-these-2-versions-of-umineko-theres-something-about-original-a
nicbentulanApr 27, 2022 5:03 AM

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Apr 27, 2022 5:04 AM

Mar 2022
Edocchi said:
nicbentulan said:

Ah ok I also checked out the previous comments made. For visual novels that have choices and stuff, ok I get, but Umineko seems very sui generis here. What am I missing?

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Apr 28, 2022 12:10 AM

Jun 2016
nicbentulan said:
Edocchi said:

Ah ok I also checked out the previous comments made. For visual novels that have choices and stuff, ok I get, but Umineko seems very sui generis here. What am I missing?

What are you missing? You are missing the whole point. Read my post again.
May 4, 2022 5:32 PM

Feb 2009
the anime is an ok adaptation of the question arcs. Did it cut some content? sure, but nothing that was really relevant/not fluff anyway. But then again, when 98% of the VN was fluff that doesn't matter in the end, it's hard to screw up. If anything, the anime was better because it didn't repeat the same sentences 4x like the VN did. Is the series good? no, but the adaptation is pretty accurate, certainly better adaptation than higurashi ever got.
Jun 16, 2022 11:03 PM
Feb 2017
I spent nearly 100 hours while reading the first 4 episodes (of Visual novel). side by side, I watched the episodes of the anime to see the things I read animated. so, the biggest problem with the anime was simply that it was far too rushed. I remember spending more than 3 hours reading through Maria's backstory on episode 4 and truly felt my thoughts and opinions make a complete u turn about Maria and Rosa. compare that experience with the anime, all of it was over in less than 15 minutes, hence everything that made me attach on an emotional level with the characters and the story, felt like a comedic scene. Rosa slapping Maria feels like a gag in the anime. the viewers are given no time to think and ponder about the situation at play, at all. we aren't told anything about the inner thoughts of the characters most of the time, so it feels lacking in a way.
This was just one of the many examples (basically the entirety of the show tbh).
Not to mention the horrible, horrible animation.

One more thing, many people say that the anime basically messed up one key scene which makes the entire mystery unsolvable. Although I didn't catch up with that since my key interest was with the story in general, and not primarily on solving the mystery.

PS. my rating for umineko anime on MAL is for the VN, not the fucking anime (in case somebody checks and starts calling me a hypocrite of sort)

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.