Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 20, 2022 9:07 AM

Apr 2018
How does it hold up? I've heard very mixed things about it.
Is it good enough to binge or is it more episodic?
(I don't read reviews until after I finish an anime)
My taste is trash. So is yours.
Feb 20, 2022 9:13 AM
Dec 2020
I watched it straight after finishing Cowboy Bebop and I’m not gonna lie I preferred Outlaw Star. The artwork used on the world is great. If your looking for a good time I’d watch it.
Feb 20, 2022 9:14 AM

Mar 2011
I need to rewatch this. It's been nearly twenty years since I've seen it and I've been scared to see if it holds up.
Feb 20, 2022 9:41 AM

Sep 2019
ickoriss said:
I need to rewatch this. It's been nearly twenty years since I've seen it and I've been scared to see if it holds up.

It holds up, I rewatched it a few years ago and got all excited like watching it all over again on Toonami.

Definitely should watch a few episodes and then decide if you want to just binge it or take your time (I did 5 ep a day)
Feb 20, 2022 2:20 PM
Mar 2020
I mean it’s not the greatest anime ever, but it’s definitely enjoyable enough to not drop it.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 24, 2022 1:57 PM
Mar 2021
AndyPhen_88 said:
I watched it straight after finishing Cowboy Bebop and I’m not gonna lie I preferred Outlaw Star. The artwork used on the world is great. If your looking for a good time I’d watch it.

I watched Cowboy bebop as soon as it was aired on the first ever adult swim. I watched the series multiple times. As for Outlaw Star I saw it the first time on Toonami and I just love the characters more and there’s a plot progressing. A goal which is the Galactic Leyline. Cowboy bebop was just all over. I think both series were considered episodic. But Cowboy bebop is just… too episodic for my taste and character development was kinda of nonexistent. Each time a character went through their arc the following episode, they’ll still be that toxic chainsmoking character giving small talk and advice to the other toxic chainsmoking character. It was frustrating after I seen every Cowboy bebop episode a half of a dozen times and sit through the episode to watch series like Trigun right afterwards. Which to me is far better despite the choppy ending. Outlaw Star without a doubt holds up… while Cowboy bebop is just nostalgic juice.
Apr 4, 2022 7:24 AM

Jun 2010
Yes, absolutely it does. Holding it's place as an all-time classic.
May 16, 2022 2:09 AM

Jan 2022
kfsilver89 said:
AndyPhen_88 said:

I watched Cowboy bebop as soon as it was aired on the first ever adult swim. I watched the series multiple times. As for Outlaw Star I saw it the first time on Toonami and I just love the characters more and there’s a plot progressing. A goal which is the Galactic Leyline. Cowboy bebop was just all over. I think both series were considered episodic. But Cowboy bebop is just… too episodic for my taste and character development was kinda of nonexistent. Each time a character went through their arc the following episode, they’ll still be that toxic chainsmoking character giving small talk and advice to the other toxic chainsmoking character. It was frustrating after I seen every Cowboy bebop episode a half of a dozen times and sit through the episode to watch series like Trigun right afterwards. Which to me is far better despite the choppy ending. Outlaw Star without a doubt holds up… while Cowboy bebop is just nostalgic juice.
I've been waiting to come back to this comment and after binging Outlaw Star, gotta say this is a HARD disagree. I do like that the plot is more linear and that things end on a much happier tune but, Bebop actually had characterization & development. The most intriguing character in the series gets killed off in a few episodes, while most of the cast doesn't have much depth or growth at all, if any. Gene is the best character and even he doesn't really get much nuance until the final episodes. And as far as antagonists, none are memorable at all, in fact they are the worst part of the series really. I honestly think the series would have been better off committed to just the gang going on adventures rather than this plot with the Leyline(which was also eh)

That said, I found it very fun and enjoyable like Trigun & Bebop. It's just that compared to those two, I wouldn't put it anywhere close in terms of characters, animation, writing, or soundtrack. So yeah, I do think Bebop actually has more going for it then nostalgia juice
May 16, 2022 11:21 AM
Mar 2021
YungKrizzle said:
kfsilver89 said:

I've been waiting to come back to this comment and after binging Outlaw Star, gotta say this is a HARD disagree. I do like that the plot is more linear and that things end on a much happier tune but, Bebop actually had characterization & development. The most intriguing character in the series gets killed off in a few episodes, while most of the cast doesn't have much depth or growth at all, if any. Gene is the best character and even he doesn't really get much nuance until the final episodes. And as far as antagonists, none are memorable at all, in fact they are the worst part of the series really. I honestly think the series would have been better off committed to just the gang going on adventures rather than this plot with the Leyline(which was also eh)

That said, I found it very fun and enjoyable like Trigun & Bebop. It's just that compared to those two, I wouldn't put it anywhere close in terms of characters, animation, writing, or soundtrack. So yeah, I do think Bebop actually has more going for it then nostalgia juice
I am the wrong person to debate about this for multiple reasons.

A.) I’m already biased. I will die on this hill that outlaw Star is better than Trigun and Cowboy bebop. I think nostalgia glasses here but It’s a series I go back to every year and despite the fact I’m a season anime watcher outlaw Star still holds up.

B.) i was born in ‘89 i grew up watching Toonami and adult swim. I still think about ‘the boy has the right to dream’ promo that Toonami used to air. Also as I said, when I was done with Cowboy bebop, Adult swim aired reruns same time every Saturday or Sunday at 12:00am while putting new content like FLCL and Trigun at 12:30 which made me resent Cowboy bebop more and whenever I sit down with friends that are interested in anime I’m stuck showing Cowboy bebop because I’m aware it’s a masterpiece despite the fact I can’t stand it 70% of the the time.

C.) It’s obvious that the choreography and music for Cowboy bebop is the best… but it’s hindered by an utter lack of development from the three main characters. Ed doesn’t even show up until the middle of the series whom i really like as a character and the best episodes of Cowboy bebop involves Ed. I think it’s because when I watched this series I was young and gravitated to her just like Jim in outlaw Star and why I thoroughly enjoy Aisha Clan Clan because of their chemistry.

In conclusion, Trigun needs a remake because it’s unfinished from the manga but to say I was blown away by the character development and resolution to the main cast of characters in the anime is an understatement. Trigun shatters Cowboy bebop in that regard while also beating out outlaw Star as well. To be honest, Outlaw Star Isn’t the best at anything compared to Trigun or Cowboy bebop. But to mind of an 11 year old and as I grew up to be 33!! It got this juice like no other series has… even more than DBZ and being aired in ‘97 which was the start of one piece. It really has this feel of togetherness working together to find something which is the galactic leyline… despite being a bit disappointing it did give Outlaw Star a sense of direction like Luffy and his crew trying to find the One Piece.
Apr 5, 2023 5:10 PM
Oct 2015
I feel like cowboy bebop is overrated. Ive seen space sandy and this, and franky both are far better written than bebop, bebop has better fights though, better choreography, however space dandy and outlaw star has much better visual design and animation especially for the background and special effects, better world building as well
Jun 27, 2023 2:42 PM

Jan 2013
short answer yes,
long answer no.
Aug 22, 2023 12:25 PM
Sep 2009
I've rewatched Outlaw Star multiple times and own the DVDS. I've watched Cowboy Bebop once and just didn't care for it. Outlaw Star is just so much more fun with more likable characters, while Bebop just didn't leave an impression on me and actually found it a little boring. I remember a lot of scenes from Outlaw Star but barely remember anything from Bebop. Aisha ClanClan > Faye

More topics from this board

Poll: » Outlaw Star Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

datsunvic - Jan 31, 2009

58 by LotteGiants »»
May 12, 10:23 AM

Poll: » Outlaw Star Episode 20 Discussion

gohdan - May 25, 2010

21 by Loccon_Stratos »»
Apr 15, 3:37 PM

Poll: » Outlaw Star Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

gohdan - May 24, 2010

51 by Seabury »»
Mar 12, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Outlaw Star Episode 8 Discussion

gohdan - May 10, 2010

27 by Seabury »»
Feb 21, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Outlaw Star Episode 15 Discussion

gohdan - May 14, 2010

31 by Syntax_69 »»
Jan 26, 8:53 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.