Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 22, 2022 5:58 PM
Nov 2020
It's just stupid that Japanese Music can be rated the first place.
Jan 22, 2022 6:00 PM

Jun 2016
Why is it stupid? Also this is supposed to be about the music video and not the song.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 22, 2022 6:08 PM

Aug 2018
it's basically a 4 min. anime
Jan 22, 2022 6:11 PM

Jul 2019
MAL users back at it complaining at literally nothing of value. Never change.
Jan 22, 2022 6:37 PM
Jul 2018
Setting aside of this is anime or not, whi do you thnk music shouldn't be rated?
Jan 26, 2022 10:36 AM

May 2021
anirudhtsuki said:
Setting aside of this is anime or not, whi do you thnk music shouldn't be rated?

Because everyone has different opinions. I can like heavy metal and you might find it loud and annoying. Its preferences therefore can't be objectively rated.
Jan 26, 2022 10:41 AM
Nov 2019
ZimTheKing said:
anirudhtsuki said:

Because everyone has different opinions. I can like heavy metal and you might find it loud and annoying. Its preferences therefore can't be objectively rated.

Anime can't exactly be objectively rated either. It all comes down to preference, because ratings are subjective by default.
Jan 26, 2022 10:44 AM

May 2021
Loxem said:
ZimTheKing said:

Anime can't exactly be objectively rated either. It all comes down to preference, because ratings are subjective by default.

Yeah true, I rate anime 80% on how I felt. However there will always be people who rates anime completely or tries to rate them very objectively. For an anime, they can for example rate characters, plot, art style etc. For music, however, there are no such things and its just based on if you liked it or not. Someone's trash might be other's treasure. I think music shouldn't have ratings based on this reason.
Apr 9, 2022 8:43 AM

Apr 2018
ZimTheKing said:
Loxem said:

Yeah true, I rate anime 80% on how I felt. However there will always be people who rates anime completely or tries to rate them very objectively. For an anime, they can for example rate characters, plot, art style etc. For music, however, there are no such things and its just based on if you liked it or not. Someone's trash might be other's treasure. I think music shouldn't have ratings based on this reason.

Your reasoning is faulty. It is impossible to rate any kind of art objectively, be it music, anime, film, literature, or dance. Everyone has different standards for what is deemed good characterization, narrative, or art style, just as everyone has different standards for what is considered good rhythm, melody, time signature, lyricism, etc. If you believe one cannot rate music due to it being subjective, you must also argue one cannot rate any kind of art as all art is inherently subjective. You won't argue that, will you?

This is all besides the fact the point of anime music videos being here is so we can rate the music videos, not just the music itself. Music isn't anime, after all, but the videos accompanying it can be. Don't these videos have animation, an art style, a narrative, etc.?
Apr 9, 2022 8:57 AM

May 2021
Purple_Gh0st24 said:
ZimTheKing said:

Your reasoning is faulty. It is impossible to rate any kind of art objectively, be it music, anime, film, literature, or dance. Everyone has different standards for what is deemed good characterization, narrative, or art style, just as everyone has different standards for what is considered good rhythm, melody, time signature, lyricism, etc. If you believe one cannot rate music due to it being subjective, you must also argue one cannot rate any kind of art as all art is inherently subjective. You won't argue that, will you?

This is all besides the fact the point of anime music videos being here is so we can rate the music videos, not just the music itself. Music isn't anime, after all, but the videos accompanying it can be. Don't these videos have animation, an art style, a narrative, etc.?

Ngl I agree with your reasonings. I only considered the actual "music" part and didn't consider the visuals. In terms of music videos, surely they can be rated, I agree.

Can I hear your thoughts on why we can find "music videos" on "MyAnimeList"? I think this doesn't serve the purpose of this being an anime rating website, instead, some people really do be using these titles as a way to improve the number of their "completed anime".
ZimmuApr 9, 2022 9:05 AM
Apr 9, 2022 9:39 AM

Apr 2018
ZimTheKing said:
Purple_Gh0st24 said:

Ngl I agree with your reasonings. I only considered the actual "music" part and didn't consider the visuals. In terms of music videos, surely they can be rated, I agree.

Can I hear your thoughts on why we can find "music videos" on "MyAnimeList"? I think this doesn't serve the purpose of this being an anime rating website, instead, some people really do be using these titles as a way to improve the number of their "completed anime".

The music videos are here because the music videos are anime. There are some people who may use these entries to rate the music, but these people are using them incorrectly.
May 5, 2022 4:40 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
You're right, score from the music videos should be excluded from the ranking just like those R18+ Anime, seeing a lot of great Anime stand in the lower place than some 4 minutes videos really irritates me.
kizumi91May 5, 2022 4:44 AM
May 10, 2022 12:10 AM

Jul 2015
Maybe you guys should watch Shelter, its one of the best and tells a nice story in only 6 minutes.
Now for the song in this topic (Yoru no Kakeru), it has a nice melody, rhythm and the lyrics actually mean something, so ye, I THINK its good, as everyone has the rights to judge if one's good or not.
DigoligoMay 10, 2022 12:16 AM
May 30, 2022 7:21 PM

Feb 2021
Why tf is it bothering you so much? Are you mad that Avatar or Arcane didn't get an entry on MAL? Go cry about it somewhere else. These short productions are no less than works of art. The fantastic music and bgm speak for the top tier sound quality and the visuals are better than a lot of anime with full-fledged productions. Albeit these are very small, their animation quality is on par with the top tier ones put out by Ufotable.

Nov 8, 2023 9:26 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to kizumi91
You're right, score from the music videos should be excluded from the ranking just like those R18+ Anime, seeing a lot of great Anime stand in the lower place than some 4 minutes videos really irritates me.
@kizumi91 if the length is the determiner, then maybe we should also ban shorts as well. after all it's short and not worth it right? /sarcasm

Nov 8, 2023 10:56 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Reply to quercifolia
@kizumi91 if the length is the determiner, then maybe we should also ban shorts as well. after all it's short and not worth it right? /sarcasm
@quercifolia Sorry if my words kinda confused you, it's an old comment anyway. The phrase "some 4 minutes videos" in this context merely alludes to music entries because the inherent purpose of them is already different from other pieces of animation.
Nov 9, 2023 2:30 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to kizumi91
@quercifolia Sorry if my words kinda confused you, it's an old comment anyway. The phrase "some 4 minutes videos" in this context merely alludes to music entries because the inherent purpose of them is already different from other pieces of animation.
@kizumi91 ah damn, I didn't see the date sorry for the massive necro-reply there
ah I see what you mean!

although, I still think we should not dismiss a music video, because they can still tell a good story etc through the lyrics and visuals. but perhaps have it in a different category, or at least let us FILTER the top 100 anime better

Nov 9, 2023 5:47 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Reply to quercifolia
@kizumi91 ah damn, I didn't see the date sorry for the massive necro-reply there
ah I see what you mean!

although, I still think we should not dismiss a music video, because they can still tell a good story etc through the lyrics and visuals. but perhaps have it in a different category, or at least let us FILTER the top 100 anime better
@quercifolia A separate category is also what I expected to see though currently you still can access the list if scroll down the table enough: https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?limit=20643

Btw, the definition of music entry is vague and what differentiates it from normal Anime is very borderline. I mean just look at Shelter as an example, we can clearly see and understand its story and the animation is of same quality and similar style to the major of Anime, unlike this one by Yoasobi that's just purely a music video.
Apr 4, 2:37 PM
Aug 2020
Mal users trying not complaining about ranking (chalnge impossible).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru Ni Kakeru Episode 1 Discussion

Cleome - Apr 4, 2021

29 by YahiyaX777L »»
Apr 4, 2:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.