Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 21, 2020 10:07 AM
Nov 2017
Those Who Hunt Elves is a show that I started watching because it's an isekai made in 1996, before RPG mechanics and OP protags flooded the genre. I started watching it dub because that's how I prefer comedy shows, and something felt off after a few episodes. The dialogue was so over the top and ridiculous by today's standards that I wondered, is this really the original script?

I pulled up the subbed version and read the subtitles and oh boy, some of the lines are completely different.

Here are some of my favorite examples

1:
Subbed:
"Another me, my looks, my agility, my talents, all perfectly mirrored?"

Dubbed:
"My god, I can't believe this, it can't be, look at how much weight I've gained, look at my hips!"

2:
Subbed:
"You're the one who called me a maniac, aren't you? *flashback* I haven't stopped thinking about you ever since that day, I didn't recognize you at first, not with that fancy dress, am I to arrogahtly (typo?) assume that you came here tonight to dance with me?"

Dubbed:
"You're not going to start calling me names again are you? *flashback* Ever since that day I've been looking for you, of course at first I was looking for you because I was going to have you killed, I mean, I'm the prince, nobody talks to me like that, but now that I've seen you naked, well you've got a great rack, I think we could hit it off, what do you say?"

3:
Subbed:
"I am glad to see that the Lord has given you a second chance, dear Lord, I thank you for your abundant kindness"
"We weren't dead"
"But you tried to make sure we ended up that way"

Dubbed:
"There you are, you made it, well not that you've got your bodies I'm just certain that you'll be on your way, Dear father, bless these bastards as they leave our land"
"Oh thanks heavens I'm agnostic"
"Amen to that Ritsuko"

These are just a few of the many ridiculous lines that were changed in the dub version, and as you can see it amplifies instead of changing the humor. So it isn't like Ghost Stories, where the genre is practically changed by the dub.

full disclosure: I haven't watched the Ghost Stories dub yet

In case you couldn't tell, I believe this show is best enjoyed with the English dub.
KnicePersonDec 21, 2020 10:14 AM
I turn signatures off, you can too with this lnk
Nov 8, 2021 1:13 AM
Jan 2015
LMAO .. i'm gonna watch dub
Nov 9, 2021 2:37 PM
Nov 2017
IsekaiNekko said:
LMAO .. i'm gonna watch dub

Bet, you won't be disappointed

Be warned though, season 2 unfortunately has a normal dub
KnicePersonNov 9, 2021 2:42 PM
I turn signatures off, you can too with this lnk
May 4, 2022 7:40 PM
Dec 2011
So I just started watching Those Who Hunt Elves and kept switching back and forth between the sub and the dub. I settled on the sub and watched 2 episodes. At one point in the interrogation in ep 3 with "good cop bad cop" there's a joke in the dub, the sub was just a straight forward question.

I like Junpei's jabs so I'm going to go back and rewatch ep 1&2 dubbed and then switch to the subs for season 2. Thanks for posting the side by side dub and sub points that's what sold me on flipping back and forth in episode 3 and really seeing the gem it is.

For those who haven't watched the dub of Ghost Stories you are missing out. I've rewatched it 3 times and still bust a gut laughing. It makes that anime pure gold. I tried watching the sub for it and thought "god, this is terrible." They basically got to say whatever they wanted to as long as they hunted ghosts and mentioned the plot every now and then. The part with the teacher and he's talking about his woman, literally made me do a spit take like in the movies šŸ¤£.
Feb 25, 2023 10:23 PM

Jul 2015
Welcome to the club my friend. Don't fight it, just go with what feels natural.

Subs are great because they allow us to watch inaccessible anime via fun subs, but dubs will always be superior.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Those Who Hunt Elves Episode 5 Discussion

yolomojo - Dec 13, 2009

6 by chriskris91 »»
Oct 16, 2023 10:15 AM

Poll: » Those Who Hunt Elves Episode 8 Discussion

MusashiRose - Mar 3, 2010

4 by MiniMoose-kun »»
Sep 10, 2023 10:08 AM

Poll: » Those Who Hunt Elves Episode 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 15, 2012

7 by MiniMoose-kun »»
Sep 9, 2023 10:52 AM

Poll: » Those Who Hunt Elves Episode 1 Discussion

Crehbohrahku - Mar 21, 2012

8 by MiniMoose-kun »»
Sep 6, 2023 9:45 PM

» What does the title mean?

merlin2v - Jan 4, 2022

3 by PowerMinerYT »»
Mar 28, 2023 4:04 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.