Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (15) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Aug 7, 2010 2:58 AM

Jul 2008
slenderfall said:
....and all the shite films earlier and repeat 20 times a month

Ah tell me about it. I am sure The Transporter has been repeated about fifty times already, whereas Kamikaze Girls was only on once. Evn Oldboy has been repeated. You'd think there was a shortage of films or something.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Aug 7, 2010 4:02 AM

Jul 2008
Touka said:
slenderfall said:
....and all the shite films earlier and repeat 20 times a month

Ah tell me about it. I am sure The Transporter has been repeated about fifty times already, whereas Kamikaze Girls was only on once. Evn Oldboy has been repeated. You'd think there was a shortage of films or something.

Hey hey; don't talk shit about the first and (especially) the second Transporter film. The first was a decent, quality action flick; nothing extraordinary, but funny, enjoyable, and featuring Jason Statham, the second greatest action star to ever live.
Aug 7, 2010 6:33 AM

Apr 2008
Touka said:
I happened to catch Late Sping (1949) on TV yesterday. First time I saw it and it definitely won't be the last. I really loved Chishu Ryu's character and the story was surprisingly gripping with a nice little twist at the end. Ohayo (1959) is on next week which I will most definitely be watching. About time I got better acquainted with Ozu.

I love Late Spring, it's a film that I've been able to revisit many times and gain an even greater admiration for each time. Just love the look of betrayal and disgust on Setsuko Hara's face, hard to imagine she's the same person with that radiant smile in Tokyo Story.
Aug 7, 2010 7:18 AM

Jul 2008
YoungVagabond said:
Hey hey; don't talk shit about the first and (especially) the second Transporter film. The first was a decent, quality action flick; nothing extraordinary, but funny, enjoyable, and featuring Jason Statham, the second greatest action star to ever live.

Yeah it's a good action film, but when it's repeated at prime time least three times a week it gets a little old. I just wish they would show a little more during their so-called 'action season' instead of rehashing the same films all the time. It isn't a shite film, just one that is repeated too often. The real shite films would be things like Cheaper by the Dozen, which are unfortunately repeated just as much as the good stuff.

CityLights said:
I love Late Spring, it's a film that I've been able to revisit many times and gain an even greater admiration for each time. Just love the look of betrayal and disgust on Setsuko Hara's face, hard to imagine she's the same person with that radiant smile in Tokyo Story.

Indeed. She made some very intriguing expressions when she was talking to her uncle in the bar about him being impure. She is always a delight to watch on-screen.
Aug 8, 2010 2:03 AM

Apr 2008
The Decalogue, parts 1-3
Aug 8, 2010 3:48 AM

Jul 2008
Jurassic Park (1993)
Aug 8, 2010 4:20 AM

Jul 2008
Guess I can't get enough of those 4 hour films;

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies (1995)

Pretentious title aside, this was a damn entertaining and instructive work. It consists of Scorsese talking about films, directors, and genres that he felt were noteworthy, with the relevant clips being played. Some attention is also paid to the business side of movies, the control exerted by the producers and studios, and the style each one forced upon its filmmakers.

There are also short vignettes with other famous directors (Capra, Wilder, Ford, etc.) which are used rarely but very effectively.

Like any great director, Scorsese's film selection and appraisal is light years ahead of any fucking critic, and he has the type of voice one can listen to for a long time sans irritation. If you couldn't care less about older works, and aren't much of a fan of movies, it's nothing special.

But if you do, you'll love it, and probably get a few dozen further recommendations in the process.

77/100

Available on Youtube, starting here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTbNv-P_9fg&feature=related

Also,

The Great Train Robbery (1903!!!)

I was pleasantly surprised; it's way, way better than garbage like "A Trip to the Moon" from the same period. There's an overarching story that makes decent logical sense, and it establishes some of the styles and archetypes of Western/action movies in the many decades to come.

61/100
Aug 9, 2010 1:37 AM

Nov 2008
Crows Zero 2 (2009)

Good sequel of the first part. Violence, violence and more violence.

Aug 9, 2010 3:49 AM

Mar 2009
Secret Sunday

A thai horror road trip movie with a differnce

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Aug 10, 2010 4:50 AM

Jul 2008
I decided to watch what was supposedly the first great crime film, and hyped up by Scorsese in his documentary;

The Public Enemy (1931)

A young hoodlum grows up to become a vicious career criminal, as we see his interactions with his family, and growing prominence in the underworld over time.

The first ten minutes are a total waste, complete with awful child acting and pointless scenery. A short while later, we witness an unarmed thief being shot to death from behind by a cop. Seriously?

Things get marginally better about 15 minutes in. (A fourth of its runtime) James Cagney is great in the main role; just the right blend of humor, arrogance, and vulnerability, while the performances of the other actors range from good to simply atrocious.

Still, the rest of the movie is filled with thin, often pointless scenes, and a primitive representation of criminals and their activities. It's almost like a cartoon sometimes. You can safely skip this supposed "classic"; it's aged as badly as any non-silent film I have ever seen.

35/100
Aug 10, 2010 12:01 PM

Nov 2008
Murderer (2009)

Interesting Hong-Kong thriller

Tidal Wave (2009)

Korean variation about "Perfect Storm"

Aug 11, 2010 6:21 AM

Apr 2008
Fitzcarraldo
Aug 11, 2010 6:56 AM

Mar 2009
CityLights said:
Fitzcarraldo

An epic film

Aug 13, 2010 1:11 AM

Jul 2008
Guess I should have stuck with only watching a single 2010 movie before the release of "The Expendables";

Get Him to the Greek (2010)

One of the worst fucking abortions I have ever seen. No jokes, just endless, monotonous pop culture references and cameos, plus a litany of generic, semi-funny cliches done to death in thousands of much funnier movies. ("Pussy-whipped, timid guy", "brash, foul-mouthed record exec").

Not to be outdone, the script features some of the lamest, most pathetic dialogue of any movie ever made. Painful to even sit through; I left the movie theater after the first half hour. (Which, according to my friends, was actually the good part; it gets much worse later)

It was only 3 dollars at the local movie theater, but I still feel like I was mugged.

9/100
Aug 13, 2010 10:18 AM

Mar 2009
YoungVagabond said:
Guess I should have stuck with only watching a single 2010 movie before the release of "The Expendables";

Get Him to the Greek (2010)

One of the worst fucking abortions I have ever seen. No jokes, just endless, monotonous pop culture references and cameos, plus a litany of generic, semi-funny cliches done to death in thousands of much funnier movies. ("Pussy-whipped, timid guy", "brash, foul-mouthed record exec").

Not to be outdone, the script features some of the lamest, most pathetic dialogue of any movie ever made. Painful to even sit through; I left the movie theater after the first half hour. (Which, according to my friends, was actually the good part; it gets much worse later)

It was only 3 dollars at the local movie theater, but I still feel like I was mugged.

9/100

LOL - I take it you don't reccomend then - not that I would have ever watched it in the first place

Aug 13, 2010 5:46 PM

Jul 2008
Police Story (1985)

Jackie Chan at his very best. Love the comedy and of course the stunts are just phenomenal. I have the special edition which includes an extended version of the outtake credits - at the very end they show the last stunt and as soon as Jackie lands it and finishes the scene he starts cheering like mad and the entire crew just burst into applause. I have so much respect for Jackie Chan, his commitment and sheer will has been fantastic over the years and he does it all for his fans and the entertainment of viewers. His career as an action star is unfortunately nearing its end, but I hope he continues to deliver more dramatic films like Shinjuku Incident for years to come.
Aug 14, 2010 12:27 PM

Apr 2008
Le Jour Se Lève
Aug 15, 2010 11:04 PM

Jul 2008
I decided to watch an unusual film directed by Sidney Lumet;

The Wiz (1978)

An all-black, New York City interpretation of "The Wizard of Oz", starring Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, with music composed by Quincey Jones.

Now, I'm not one for musicals, but this is WAY better than the original. Much better direction (Sidney Lumet!), amazing songs (Michael Jackson, Diana Ross vs. Judy Garland, seriously?), expensive sets and elaborately choreographed dances, much better acting (also stars Richard Pryor), and a cooler, more original story.

Wipe away the nostalgia and propaganda/hype, and there's no question this is far, far better than the first version, even if it's nowhere near as original or influential.

70/100
Aug 17, 2010 9:41 AM

Apr 2008
Samurai Assassin
Aug 17, 2010 3:18 PM

Jul 2008
Good Will Hunting (1997)

Great performance from Robin Williams.

"If you ever disrespect my wife again, I will end you. I will fucking end you. You got that, chief?"
Aug 18, 2010 12:58 AM

Nov 2008
Pale Rider (1985)

One of my favorite westerns

Aug 21, 2010 3:15 PM

Apr 2008
The Only Son
There Was a Father

Just got my new Criterion DVD in the mail and watched both of these great Ozu films. I hadn't seen There Was a Father before so it brings my Ozu viewing total to 24 now. Both these films can be explained well with the Ryuunosuke Akutagawa quote which precedes The Only Son, "Life's tragedy begins with the bond between parent and child."
Aug 22, 2010 2:46 PM

Jul 2008
Kansas City Confidential (1952)

A crime noir about a man who contacts three different criminals while wearing a mask, recruits them to rob an armored car, and on the day of the heist, has all four of them wear masks. Afterwards, they each get a marker, and are told to go to different parts of Mexico, before meeting together in a small town to split the money. In the process, they use a florist's truck that stops close to the armored car each morning, framing an innocent ex-con who was a hero during WW2. Said man, Joe, decides to track down the gang.

While generally intelligent and logical in its plot development, "Kansas City Confidential" suffers from some 50's American film cliches (hero never kills anyone in a bloody crime noir!) and occasional slow pacing, but is elevated by the interesting premise, good dialogue, and excellent acting. Of the recognizable actors, there is a very young, clean-shaven Lee Van Cleef.

There is genuine tension and excitement in a lot of scenes, and the story is rarely predictable. The romance subplot with Joe and a woman related to one of the criminals was unnecessary and only became sillier further along into the movie, but was partially redeemed by the acting and script. An unrealistic, overly happy, and poor ending hurts it somewhat.

Pretty good movie.

69/100
Aug 24, 2010 4:16 AM

Jul 2008
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975).
Aug 24, 2010 4:33 AM

Nov 2008
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (2009)
Mind Game (2004)

Aug 24, 2010 4:14 PM

May 2009
Rhapsody in August(1991)
Aug 25, 2010 3:46 PM

May 2009
To Live (1994)
Aug 26, 2010 2:15 AM

Apr 2008
Spies
Aug 27, 2010 6:56 AM

Apr 2008
Profesor Layton: The ethernal Diva
Aug 27, 2010 7:16 AM

Nov 2008
Sonatine (1993)

Aug 27, 2010 7:55 AM

Jul 2008
Paul Blart: Mall Cop (2009)

I know I probably shouldn't have, but I actually enjoyed it. :P
Aug 27, 2010 2:48 PM

Mar 2009
Touka said:
Paul Blart: Mall Cop (2009)

I know I probably shouldn't have, but I actually enjoyed it. :P

Shhhh so did i

Aug 29, 2010 10:06 AM

Nov 2008
Dante's Inferno (2007)

One of the worst animation movies on my list. Boring, boring, boring ...

Aug 29, 2010 11:57 AM

Mar 2009
Salt

Thank goodness I did not pay to see it

Aug 29, 2010 8:59 PM

Jul 2008
Switchblade Sisters (1975)-

A 70's exploitation film about a group of violent motorcycle gang girls that have sex, commit crimes, and do time in jail. They are allied with a local motorcycle male gang, but trouble begins when a rival infringes upon their turf.

It's musing at first with its horrible acting and half-intentional hilarity, but quickly goes downhill by mixing dumbass speeches and dead-serious moments with the funny. A drive-by followed by a gang-rape as the girl screams for mercy just doesn't work well with cheeseball physical comedy. Can't imagine why. Goes from funny and light-hearted to fucking stupid and unnecessary by the end.

33/100
Aug 30, 2010 2:36 AM

Apr 2008
The Kid Brother
Sep 4, 2010 4:43 PM

Mar 2009
Robin Hood 2010

I actually quite enjoyed it

The Expendables

err 20 mins off it was quite enogh

Sep 5, 2010 7:14 AM

Aug 2009
Battleship Potemkin (1925)

Quite fascinating that for a movie of this period, the Odesa Massacre seemed very real.
-Fixing-
Sep 5, 2010 1:07 PM

Nov 2008
slenderfall said:
Robin Hood 2010

I actually quite enjoyed it

The Expendables

err 20 mins off it was quite enogh

And i enjoyed The Expandables :P

District B13 (2004)

French action ... something like Yamakasi.

Sep 6, 2010 5:22 PM

Jul 2008
This is England (2006)
Sep 7, 2010 2:03 AM

Nov 2008
Drunken Angel (1948)

First movie with Toshiro Mifune. Great !

Sep 8, 2010 9:58 AM

Jul 2008
Ohayo (1959)

My third Ozu film and probably my least favourite so far, but still a very good movie.
Sep 9, 2010 7:45 AM

Apr 2008
x.X Requiem for a Dream... What a damn trip!
Sep 12, 2010 6:56 PM

Jul 2008
A History of Violence.
Sep 13, 2010 11:21 AM

Jul 2008
The Man Who Stole the Sun (1979)

I just finished watching it and all I can say is holy shit. The movie has its flaws and it could have been a little shorter, but damn the last twenty minutes or so were amazing. A movie hasn't had me on the edge of my seat like that in a while. Plus kudos to both Kenji Sawada and Bunta Sugawara. They were great in their respective roles, especially Sugawara as Inspector Yamashita. He'll give Dirty Harry a run for his money. Oh and Japanese directors need to film car chases more often.
Sep 13, 2010 5:38 PM

Jul 2008
A couple here;

The Girl who Leapt Through Time (

The brutally slow pacing resembles a generic anime series more than a movie, and the girl's whining voice became irritating. But most importantly, the film was nothing special in terms of emotional impact, intellectual depth, or sheer entertainment. The deaths were ridiculous, unrealistic, and unnecessary. Repeating the same cliche phrases endlessly or having the character cry miserably don't help matters.There were nice shots and musical selections, but overall, it was mediocre.

The emotional core of the story is a high school romance between two bland characters.

47/100

And on a recommendation from evilernie (thanks, dude!)

Bad Taste (1987)

Peter Jackson's first film, a comedy action horror splatter comedy about aliens coming to Earth so they can harvest humans as a type of delicious fast food.

It's a clever satire of action and horror cliches, but it's unpolished and poorly presented. Also, the subplot with Derek's character (played by Peter Jackson himself) was boring and often just nauseating. A watchable, moderately entertaining film.

50/100
Sep 15, 2010 1:10 PM

Jul 2008
Battles Without Honour and Humanity (1973)
Sep 15, 2010 10:27 PM

Jul 2008
The Court Jester (1955)

A musical comedy about medieval England, where the Black Fox fights against the tyranny of King Roderick. In his possession is the true heir to the throne, a mere baby, and ultimately, it falls upon his troop's entertainer/jester, Hubert Hawkins, played by Danny Kaye, to find a secret passage into the corrupt king's castle.

I rewatched this, and it's even better than I remember. The mix of rapid-fire dialogue, Danny Kaye's incredible musical and comedic gifts, the colorful, vibrant sets, and a furious pace all combine to create a damn entertaining, rewatchable film. Time has slightly dulled its brand of humor, and I wish the various plotlines hadn't been resolved so readily and easily, but it's one of the finest musical comedies out there.

By the way, what happened to Princess Gwendolyn at the end?

79/100
Sep 16, 2010 4:20 AM

Jul 2008
Scarlet Street (1945)-

Fritz Lang film about a simple cashier, Criss Cross, being conned by a devious woman and her abusive boyfriend.

It's a truly phenomenal yet simple movie; take a solid story, add a terrific ensemble performance, a hell of a director, and you get a great picture. It's deliciously dark and evil, and Edward Robinson's downtrodden Chris Cross is exceptional. He portrays the whole gamut of emotions, even murderous rage.

The only slight weakness are aspects of the ending; Chris being "punished" so severely by his inner guilt is too Puritanical and silly for such a serious, mature film.

81/100
Sep 17, 2010 3:18 AM

Oct 2008
Thank you for smoking (2005)
Ghost in the shell 2.0 (2008)
The american (2010)
Machete(2010)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (15) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorite Japanese film?

Sukamii - Jan 28, 2022

0 by Sukamii »»
Jan 28, 2022 9:52 PM

Sticky: » Movie, Director and Actor/Actress/Talent Spotlights [List + Suggestions]

13579wp - Aug 6, 2014

5 by JapaneseDaddy »»
Aug 25, 2018 10:45 PM

» Cinema of China/Korea.

TakeshiKitano - Aug 19, 2011

48 by PandaMaster99 »»
Aug 30, 2015 1:02 AM

» Director Spotlight #5: Sion Sono

Orion1 - Nov 1, 2012

3 by removed-user »»
May 27, 2015 3:59 PM

» Director Spotlight #14: Yasujirō Ozu

13579wp - Dec 24, 2014

5 by PandaMaster99 »»
Jan 18, 2015 3:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.