Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 18, 2017 12:26 PM
Aug 2016
I heard that I should start with A Certain Scientific Railgun before this, so I'll have a better understanding of the universe. Is this something I should do, or should I jump right into Index? Thanks!
Jul 18, 2017 12:29 PM

Apr 2016
Depend if you prefer dense male MC or tsundere loli.
Jul 18, 2017 12:57 PM

Jul 2013
Index is basically an introduction to both sides of the world of the series (Magic and Science) and is more action oriented, while Railgun (anime wise) is totally oriented to the Science side and has more Slice of Life filler scenes compared to Index.
Depending of your tastes, you can start one or another, since Railgun works more or less well as an standalone.

Anyway, imo, you should watch Index first, then Railgun season 1 (or viceversa). In any case, I reccomend to watch the first season of Index before Railgun season 2 (AKA Railgun S), since an story arc of Railgun S is told in Index in a way you will like more if you watch it in that order.
Sep 11, 2017 5:59 PM

Feb 2016
Illyricus said:
Index is basically an introduction to both sides of the world of the series (Magic and Science) and is more action oriented, while Railgun (anime wise) is totally oriented to the Science side and has more Slice of Life filler scenes compared to Index.
Depending of your tastes, you can start one or another, since Railgun works more or less well as an standalone.

Anyway, imo, you should watch Index first, then Railgun season 1 (or viceversa). In any case, I reccomend to watch the first season of Index before Railgun season 2 (AKA Railgun S), since an story arc of Railgun S is told in Index in a way you will like more if you watch it in that order.

I watched index season 1 should I watch railgun ?? I wanted to jump straightly to index 2 as railgun is a side story and not a sequel
Sep 12, 2017 4:55 AM

Jul 2013
Kja95 said:
Illyricus said:

I watched index season 1 should I watch railgun ?? I wanted to jump straightly to index 2 as railgun is a side story and not a sequel
If you liked Index (or more especifically Misaka), then you should watch it, since, filler aside, Railgun is a nice addition to the franchise and have very cool battles, apart of having one of the best arcs of the entire series.

The biggest downside (if you are not into that kind of stuff), is that it feautures a lot of SoL scenes and filler scenes respecting Index, so, even when it has cool battles from time to time, the most of the content of the series is a boring "cute grils doing cute things" who can get tiring easily.

Anyway, if you have already watched the two seasons of Index and you want more, check Railgun, at least just for the second season.
Sep 12, 2017 6:18 AM

Jun 2012
Actually, you can still grasp the big picture of Raildexverse by watching Index alone, if that's all you care.

Railgun have some good actions and simply delve much deeper in the science side particularly in the academy city, specifically....the Level 6 project that happens to involve our main casts which have nothing prominent conspiratorial theory to add to it's universal lore. Index pointed that already.

I vote for watching Index first as well before Railgun.

Sep 12, 2017 6:56 AM

Jul 2017
I started watching Index first and i got the grasp or basics of the story from the first to the 3rd episode so i recommend to watch index ( then season 2) and then rail gun
Sep 26, 2017 3:50 AM

Feb 2015
Isn't watching in broadcast order better?
Index > Railgun > Index II > Railgun S.
That is, if you actually want to watch both.
Sep 26, 2017 4:24 AM

Dec 2014
cBotan said:
Isn't watching in broadcast order better?
Index > Railgun > Index II > Railgun S.
That is, if you actually want to watch both.

Depends, the sisters arc is done waay better in Railgun so you'd watch a gimped version of it in Index, but with Touma's pov. If it's a watch to prepare for Index III, I would go with Index I and II then the two railguns to catch all the nuances that got lost due to the focus on Touma and also additional original stories in Railgun which introduce characters that will be mentioned in Index; but won't get nearly as much attention.
Sep 27, 2017 7:44 PM
Sep 2017
I would recommend you to watch index first before railgun. You will find some fact that doesn't explained in Railgun series. Ex: the satellite scene that destroyed in Index season 1
Oct 1, 2017 4:09 AM

Feb 2016
I've watched it in this order:
1. Index
2. Railgun
3. Index ll
4. Railgun S

Many people recommended it me to watch it like this. Kinda makes more sense in my eyes to watch it like this because I guess it's easier to understand what is going on.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll

More topics from this board

Poll: » Index - probably the most annoying character ever. ( 1 2 )

Rodaa - Jan 24, 2014

75 by Rigatoni96 »»
Apr 29, 1:35 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

280 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 9:09 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

darkxdestiny - Mar 12, 2009

142 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 8:37 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Wasabi - Mar 8, 2009

113 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 8:11 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Mar 14, 2009

61 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 7:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.