Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2017 4:01 PM

Jul 2015
Now, I'm a fan of Studio Ghibli, seen most of their big movies and generally score them quite high and I am a fan of slow paced, thoughtful anime...

...but this was barely an anime. Sure, the music was "fine" and soothing enough at times but it was primarily just a slideshow of some decent art. Ghibli has produced far better, far more interesting worlds with better visual story telling and just better backdrops. I found myself ungodly bored very quickly. It's like just going to a random deviantart page and putting the pictures in slideshow mode whilst playing some light orchestral music on in the background.

I've binged a whole bunch of music videos recently and short anime primarily set to music, most scored around 6 or lower on MAL. This however is 7.14 (which some people seem to be complaining is too low) when it's honestly the weakest in terms of both music and general visual story telling in my opinion from what I've seen recently.

I can't help but feel this only is scored "highly" because of the Ghibli name on it which is pretty bad in my opinion. It's become a junior anime snob thing from what I've seen which is also bad. For people who scored it high, why did you? Try to answer without mentioning Studio Ghibli and try to justify it's length.

And don't try to just push away my opinion by acting like I only don't like this because of a lack of action, lack of characters, etc. I like plenty of anime with no action, no dialogue, etc. This just was a nothing show that left me bored and somewhat disappointed.

It's certainly not worth 30 minutes of your time. 5 minutes? Sure.
ThatDarnIrishManFeb 6, 2017 4:09 PM
May 1, 2017 12:36 AM
Aug 2014
The funny part is it's not really a Ghibli movie. The art is done by Naohisa Inoue (same guy who did background art on Whisper of the Heart) and he directed and story boarded it so what we see is all his vision. Then some ghibli guys animated over it and packaged it. So there's very little to this movie that Ghibli influenced.
Aug 9, 2020 10:05 AM

Mar 2020
Uh no. This was actually the first thing from Ghibli I've ever watched (I'm pretty sure).

And I like it because it is something relaxing and unique. It has a kind of nostalgic feel to it. Really great Music and Backgrounds as well.

It's scored highly because people like different things.

Well then it left you bored and disappointed what do you want anyone else to do about it?

yum riceballs

i just want a baccano! season 2
Oct 19, 2020 3:59 PM
Apr 2020
ghibli movies are overrated all the time, looking specifically at ocean waves and tales from earthsea, but even still its hard for me to hate on any ghibli film in the first place lol
Jan 12, 2021 9:17 AM
Apr 2020
While people do like different things, I wouldn't doubt a lot of people gave this film such high ratings due to nostalgia and bias because there is really nothing extraordinary about it.
PavoOcellusFeb 7, 5:18 PM
Jul 1, 2021 10:32 PM
Feb 2020
I don’t see any reason to watch this other then screenshotting it for backgrounds
Aug 18, 2021 10:44 AM
Aug 2018
I don't think it's overrated. People seem to be judging it solely on it's art as it has no plot, and in that regard it was incredible. Really relaxing to watch.
Aug 27, 2022 7:33 PM

Mar 2018
Some people don't see art as just the story it's trying to tell, but also the aesthetic that holds it together. And for me, aesthetic is the main reason I play games, for example.

I'd say those that like aesthetic, and atmosphere most are the types to like nature, to like sitting, relaxing, immersing in a world someone's created. If nothing changes, and it's been a while, sure. But whatever it's focusing on, be it story, or atmosphere, as long as it progresses, it keeps my interest. Immersion requires progression, otherwise it's a drag, but those that can't be immersed in this, I assume it's because they need a story.

There's a specific switch you flip in your mind, and this stuff immerses you. But you need rejuvenation until you watch the next atmospheric Slice of Life episode. It gives less dopamine than your average shounen, or seinen, but it gives something more meaningful, a peaceful immersion, a break.

And that's why this isn't overrated. This is just different. And it's not underrated either. It's just a piece of art.
Dec 9, 2023 9:56 AM
Jul 2019
it seems to me an promotional video from Studio Ghibli to the creator
Apr 17, 11:23 AM
Feb 2022
Every Ghibli Movie is far overrated, this one is among the least known so it's among the least overrated I'd say.
Apr 17, 11:25 AM

Jan 2013
Was it scored highly in 2017? It's under a 7 now. lol
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Iblard Jikan Episode 1 Discussion

aero - Oct 12, 2008

47 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 23, 9:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.